To Grip or not to Grip D800/800E/D810

Comments

• funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Impossible, currently: The grip's interface is not transporting any record data.

another thing: one friend of me always shoots landscape orientation, even subjects "demanding" vertical orientation. Layout work is easier, and that's a valid point. Landscape oriented pics are more versatile.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member

another thing: one friend of me always shoots landscape orientation, even subjects "demanding" vertical orientation. Layout work is easier, and that's a valid point. Landscape oriented pics are more versatile.
    I assume you mean that he shoots "vertical" subjects in landscape and crops to get the final product.

Why does your friend do this? What is the advantage that would over power the losing of parts of the image to cropping?

Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I have the d800 L bracket for the battery grip on the D810 (older RRS model).

While it adds weight it's actually easier for me to shoot one handed.
    I had the Df on a monopod with my left hand and the Photo called for the d810 with the 50mm. The photos came out decent.

At first I bought the Vello brand but then returned it. One day I might add the D4/s battery for the grip. That is an advantage with the Nikon grip.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Vipmediastar_JZ You will need the BL-5 endcap for the D4 battery. This is the system i use and find this very satisfactory, and if required, you can shoot in Dx format to get the 7 FPS.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

I assume you mean that he shoots "vertical" subjects in landscape and crops to get the final product.
    Yes

Why does your friend do this? What is the advantage that would over power the losing of parts of the image to cropping?
    He's a big fan of having some background so he can place the picture in his Layouts where he feels it's best. And I admit, I sometimes had troubles with subjects I left not enough "air" around. With a D810, it's not as if there weren't enough MP… at least not if I print "normal" for magazine work. It's tempting to go portrait mode, not giving up the valuable information but lately I think more in his way. If I didn't check properly the alignment - strictly upright with bubble level - very soon the crop I have to do to correct it gets too small.
    Good point. Air is important in landscape photography. I am trying hard to more utilize negative space in my compositions.

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Have one. Use it almost all the time (except for when I'm doing stacking work, where I feel that the interface with the tripod plate is better than the actual camera). Love the additional battery when I'm doing star track images and the additional controls when shooting vertically. Also think that the "grip curve" is a little deeper, making me feel a little more secure when carrying it.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I don't have a D810 or a grip, yet. I have been working my way up.

Does the grip help hold the camera steadier. It seems to me it would be better than having my elbow sticking in the air.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I don't have a D810 or a grip, yet. I have been working my way up.
    Does the grip help hold the camera steadier. It seems to me it would be better than having my elbow sticking in the air.
    Answer: It depends. For me with medium size hands, I have found the grip is much better with the D300/D700/D800/D810. Plus the convenience it provides when shooting vertical shots, ergonomically it's much better than having to reach over the top to hit the shutter button.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Yes it helps greatly. I have shot one handed several times, not by choice but by necesity and those times the images came out good. If I didn't have the grip it would have been harder.
    First: Shooting one handed is a very good possibility to get motion blurr :D Even if Kai Wong does it very often.
    Second: adding a grip under an already heavy camera and increasing the weight by nearly 500 grams can easily lead to more shake depending how good you are at pumping iron. This weight is a MB-D12 and 8 eneloop batteries, with lithium batteries you save 100 grams.
    Third: a grip is stabilizing the camera - if held with two hands. And destabilizing, if held only with one. Your arm will start shaking earlier with a heavier load.
  • satmarsatmar Posts: 3Member
    I bought a third party grip for my D7100. (£25 against £225). It doesn't wobble. It duplicates the needed functions perfectly. It really changes the balance of the camera for the better as well as give increased battery life. For me an absolute no brainer.
  • satmarsatmar Posts: 3Member
    I accept the weight makes one handed more challenging but Ki apart, the vast majority of us have two hands available and Ki only shows you the shots that worked!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Having just used my D800E, without the battery grip but with an RRS "L" Plate, in a shoot with tripod in a museum. The issue of grip may be a factor, but without it I found it was very nice to be able to switch vertical to horizontal and the overall mass of the camera was minimal, IMO.

I have shot my D4 in the same situation, so probably the grip vs, no grip is such a non issue for me that I cannot say I like one or the other as to the handling of the camera when used on a tripod. The big issue is the "L" Plate, which is essential for versatility in almost all situations.
    Msmoto, mod
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Thanks all for the input about using a grip. I think I will try one the next time I upgrade. It may be sooner than I thought as my current camera is in for repair.
    I just don't understand why L plates are so expensive. :(
    Me either. That was my dilemma to buy or not to buy. However when I ran Into the orientation issue and having to re adjust I bought it afterwards and it makes sense of the application.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I just don't understand why L plates are so expensive. :(
    They don't have to be, unless you have that need to buy one with RRS written on it... My D750 and D7100 both have L brackets on that each cost £7.90 ($10) and they work absolutely fine.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    They are expensive because they are custom items with limited production runs, a few hundred at most.
    Sweet. I think I will look for a more reasonable price on a L bracket.

I wonder if that is something that can be made with a 3D printer? (in my best Jeremy Clarkson imitation) How hard can it be? :)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Plastic? LOL! Yeah, true Top Gear stuff!
    Always learning.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    One of the points raised was the extra weight involved by fitting a Grip to the D8xxx.
    To compare to the D4 the weight is 1400 kg Body only, with the En-el 18 battery fitted.
    The D810 with the grip, body only, plus its standard battery plus the En-el 18 {D4} battery in the Grip is 1448 kg. If you are using this combination for Time lapse or Star trails this would give extending use and as both these type of photography are on tripods would weight be a problem. Plus you would have the extra convenience in portrait position of the extra dials .
    Needless to say any lens fitted would create extra weight to both.
    I have to say, having used both, I have not noticed any difference after using them for a full day shoots, minimum 8 hours.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    I don't think weight is a problem if you're already used to D4.

The problem to me is the wobbly connection between grip and body by only one screw, one thin metal plate connected to the also thin magnesium alloy housing. Of course, it doesn't matter much if you use electronic 1st curtain when on tripod.

I do have and use the grips, I'm just thinking they should have designed them more carefully.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The current design is a compromise over the older grip designs that used to fit right into the battery bay (similar to the type seen for the Canon Rebel Series) that were used with the D100, D200, D80 and D90. Starting with the D300 Nikon moved to the single screw with no other attachment. The MB-D10 fits extremely snugly to the D300, and less so to the D700. I haven't tried the newer grips, but it sure does not sound promising.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2015
    My goodness all that extra weight! Those pictures make the setup look just like a medium format unit. Don't you find? Just imagine a 70-200mm on there too, and you'd be talking about lbs well into the double digits... :(
    Post edited by kanuck on