To Grip or not to Grip D800/800E/D810

13»

Comments

• funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    well, the 70-200 doesn't change much of the weight for the grip, does it? In terms of stability I welcome extra weight,in terms of transport and space I hate it. I once tried a Phase One with back and portrait lens. Weight and solid feeling increase pretty much compared to one FX with grip. But I know what you mean. People who dare to handle a FX-camera suddenly get afraid to touch it with the grip and start to complain about size and weight although it's not that much more.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    With regard to Grip wobble, I have not experienced any movement on a D810 and a genuine Nikon grip.
    Although it has only one screw attachment, the grip is located with two dowels and a strong electrical connection.
    Another reason to buy genuine Nikon gear is where electrical connections are involved If there was a fault in the grip and it damaged the circuitry of the camera what claim would have from Nikon using a none Nikon Grip?
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    There are two situations I sense that wobble: carrying camera and a lens upside down. The movement of the body, I do feel it and it's a bit disturbing although I know all elements are solid enough.

And putting it on a tripod, there's more movement caused by mirror/shutter vibration than without.

The point about the electrical connectors is also something I was concerned. I don't trust the cheaper grips.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    If using it on a tripod, use mirror up and either a 2 second delay or a cable release. It won't get any more stable than that.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    NOTE: I have the D750, but my question fits all models, IMO.

How does Nikon feel about an import Nikon grip on a US body?

Is it worth getting an import version or just wait to get a US version?
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I may be wrong, but in most cases there are no physical differences between US and grey market (aka Import) versions of gear. The differences lie in the warranties and where they can be serviced. This may not apply to every piece of Nikon gear but I would suspect it applies to most.
    Would my US body warranty be voided if I used an import/gray market grip and something went wrong?
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I don't know for sure, but I've never seen that. I once had a grey market 55-200 on a US D40 and I don't think it was an issue. That was a long time ago though.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    On a small side note, how did you like the image quality of that Phase One you tried out funtagraph? Compared to the D800/800e/810 for example. Maybe you didn't have much time, but I am curious about medium format digital in terms of useability, weight and quality shots.
    edited February 2015
    we were there because we wanted to compare different Sirui tripods. I wasn't aware the opening party of a photo-dealers small branch would show a selection of their rental stuff, such as the usual long Canon / Nikon lenses, Alpa cameras with PhaseOne backs and PhaseOne itself - so I was very sorry not to have a CF card with me :(

I was fascinated by the simplicity of the concept - not much more dials than I was used from my analog Mamiya 645 super years ago, while the touch screen was a very well thought device as well as the menu. Batteries must be massive, the whole device was surprisingly heavy and well balanced. AF was as snappy as used from a Nikon, if not faster. Alright, perhaps not - I was just not expecting such a zzipp-bang! Finder experience? My eye got flooded with details and the check view was giving even more details. It felt more solid than any Nikon and was much more responsive than I had in mind before I grabbed it. If I had to compare, I prefer it's usability over Nikon's which I feel overloaded. Three user settings instead of 4 and 4 banks, hidden in the menu.

To me that's more my dream camera than a Leica would ever become one. But then… the pleasure using one clearly stands against the torture of carrying it around. It's a job tool, not a photo sketchbook. There are lots of nice vids on the PhaseOne Youtube channel, I watch them from time to time.
    Post edited by funtagraph on
    I don't know for sure, but I've never seen that. I once had a grey market 55-200 on a US D40 and I don't think it was an issue. That was a long time ago though.
    I bought an import grip. It will be here tomorrow. I probably could have met him in person to get it, but his shipping was less than I would have paid in gas. :)

Worst case, I put it back on eBay to sell if I want a US version.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Hammie - after you have had a chance to use the import grip let us know your impressions.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Funtagraph, interesting you mentioned Leica actually it has always been my dream camera. I have to just save up 30 more days and I will have my M on March 10th. I never should have sold mine 3 years ago, but I needed rent and food while I was about halfway done my masters degree... :-S
    I only mentioned Leica because I thought, that's a dream to many photographers. Didn't know it was yours, too and am glad your dream will become real very soon. And for sure, is more transportable than mine :)
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I must admit today I got my butt handed to me since I didn't have a grip, my right arm would pay the insane amount for a battery grip at this moment. Normally I do not do event photography but someone asked me to fill so I accepted the challenge. Needless to say tomorrow won't be fun either, blah.

I would normally pass on the grip but thinking about it since it has bit me once already.