D750 Service Advisory -- Official Announcement

Comments

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    I phoned Nikon Service Austria today and they told me their "normal" turnaround is at least 15 working days (so 3-4 weeks then!!).
    The guy I spoke to then went on to say he didn't know much about the required fix and that the few cameras they'd had in for the repair are being shipped to Nikon service Germany, so it could possibly take 4-6 Weeks to get the camera back!!
    Filled me with confidence I don't think!!!

Baldy. ;)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Ouch, that is longer than I anticipated. I decided to wait until I got back from a trip to the warm states, glad I did. I was hoping for 3 week turn around time.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    Well I'll be sending mine in probably early March.
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    I think that everyone should pay attention to what @Chito said...

it is not a good idea to send out the camera right now to NY because of the weather... and also in the next 2 weeks because of the huge amount of pending work.....

In my case, I got a reply from NikonUSA and provide me the address of a new Nikon Office here in my country who opened in October 2014. They already contacted them to receive my camera... :) will go there next Friday to see what they can do to fix my D750
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • GreenwiseGreenwise Posts: 34Member
    not sure if its different in the uk, but nikon have emailed me saying that they will contact me when they are ready for my return ???
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    In Switzerland the same. After filling the form, I got an e-mail which said they'll adress me when tehy are reay plus sending a sticker with paid shipping.

As spraynpray said, that flaw didn't happen the same way in all cameras of one batch. Maybe because different persons in the assembly line got different instructions? Or found different ways to reach their "units per hour"-rate? I don't want to blame the ladies in the assembly line, I'm sure in the controlling line mistakes are alos possible.

After all, we humans are meant to make mistakes. I'd say before falling into "I paid for a perfect camera" choir, first answer two questions:

You as person are also paid to deliver perfect work. Do you always master that challenge? I don't. I do most of the time but sometimes I fail.

Failures do happen, even in the design or assembly of Leicas. I know of sensors with stripes in the final picture. How much more less expensive is a D750? You get what you pay for, a highly complex system with lots of potential errors in. Manufacturers don't guarantee you to get a perfect camera, they guarantee to fix their problems without costs for you within a limited time.

I don't think, a D4s gives me three times better pictures. I'm assuming a lot of the extra money is spent to make the camera reliable and approaching perfection to the max. If that would be possible for 1/3 fo the money, all pro's would run for it.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited January 2015
    Are you sure this should be considered an assembly fault ? Had the parts causing the flare been made of non-reflective material, this flaw would have been prevented . At least that is what I understand from the description of this fault. And the repair is maybe as simple as coating/painting black those reflective parts of the shutter/mirror mechanism.
    Post edited by Paperman on
    edited January 2015
    Are you sure this should be considered an assembly fault ? Had the parts causing the flare been made of non-reflective material, this flaw would have been prevented . At least that is what I understand from the description of this fault. And the repair is maybe as simple as coating/painting black those reflective parts of the shutter/mirror mechanism.
    It's more than what you said in your last sentence. They are making adjustments to the sensor and in some cases replacing that entire mirror assembly. Check out the main Blog for specifics.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    Since not all cameras are affected is it reasonable to assume that at least for some all they will do is to inspect the camera for the defect and return it? I guess I'm still unclear if this is a component problem or an assembly alignment problem.
    Since not all cameras are affected is it reasonable to assume that at least for some all they will do is to inspect the camera for the defect and return it? I guess I'm still unclear if this is a component problem or an assembly alignment problem.
    All we have is the info posted on the Nikon website and the main blog. Not sure if there is one or two solutions.
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    UPDATE:

I sent mine to Melville, NY on 1/22. It was delivered to Nikon on 1/23. I received the acknowledgement e-mail on 1/26. Status changed to BILLING today. :)

Hoping that means that it ships very soon.
    UPDATE 2:

Camera is out for delivery today. B-) :)
    When you get the camera back, do let us know what they performed on the D750. They will list what repairs and replacements were done.
    Here is what they did:

- Replace front body
    - General check & clean
    - Adjust auto focus operation
    - Adjust parallax
    - Clean CCD
    Here is what they did:
    - Replace front body
    - General check & clean
    - Adjust auto focus operation
    - Adjust parallax
    - Clean CCD
    "Replace front body" Wonder what that includes? At first I read they were making adjustments and then replacing a portion of the mechanism. Thanks for the update Hammie.
    I have no idea what it includes. It was so new to begin with, I cannot tell if it is the actual exterior, so part of an internal, or both.

I'm heading out to take some pictures now.

Tomorrow, I will spend some time and fine tune my lenses, if needed.
    Comments on individuals who have received their D750.
    Source: Nikonians web site
    “Most people seem to be having the front body unit replaced, which from what I understand includes the mirror box. Replacing that unit requires much of the grip rubber to be replaced, hence the number of parts being replaced. A couple of people have reported on the Internet that the repair didn't work quite right. The problem is improved, but not gone. There is no confirmation of that, and considering the number of units which have already been returned, were that generally true, I would have expected more reports by now. I'm waiting for many more reports as owners use their repaired D750 cameras.”
  • korgmatosekorgmatose Posts: 3Member
    I got mine back from service yesterday, and I can confirm that the grip rubber has a least been tampered with, because the reassembly was a bit sloppy. (Parts not glued properly or bad alignment) .The AF, however, seems unaffected, but the flare is not entirely gone. Will try to check af- calibration on more lenses today. Work Report claimed "swapped Mirror Box"
    Of course the "problem" will not disappear entirely - how could it? As the guys from "imaging-resource.com" found out, it's not only the D750 suffering these kind of problem. I also think, the flare is sometimes desirable, the problem is the pattern within the flare. I wonder how Nikon technicians think about that massive amount of work. Actually, the more I think about, the less willing I become to send in the body. I was checking my lib, there were hardly any shots that shoudl suffer on exacrly this problem.

It's a desire for perfection which is not mine.
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    Boy, if the repairs are indeed "sloppy", that's one more negative Nikon doesn't need at this point. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot! One of my 750's is at Melville now.....
    Keep in mind, Fritz, those who got their camera back in perfect order and with solved issue will never complain but might be a majority. Wishing you good luck with your camera.
    Mine came back with the rubber not fully affixed to the body. However, a quick push and rub solved the issue. The "rub" creates a heat that allows the glue to become viscous and allow for a proper adhesion.
  • korgmatosekorgmatose Posts: 3Member
    Same for me, Hammie.
    As for the flare - issue, I'll let these images speak for themselves:
    https://plus.google.com/115399377186191742532/posts/NrWU1PcpR95
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    @korgmatose : thanks for the sample photos .. Well if thats all thats wrong with the D750 maybe I will be able to get a cheapy second hand one soon :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Just received a link to print out shipping papers from Nikon, so I could send in the camera.

I called in and asked what do I have to do to provoke the failure? The service manager told me I have to switch the camera to movie mode, start recording and point it into bright sky. Until today I was convinced from the examples I've seen, the failure happens when shooting against direct light or light sources just a bit outside of the finder. So, if I got something wrong from you guys and replied ignoring the main problem, I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware of needing move mode.