Photo-A-Day: June 2015

Comments

• kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    I'm sorry you feel disappointed by people in western societies associating swastikas with millions of deaths mostly, but they probably can't help their cultural context. Where are you from? This is not to judge other societies which may claim older usage and adhere different meaning to symbols. But expressing disappointment in this matter is making it sound like our society is being deliberately ignorant or purposefully stubborn. It's a collective horror, this thing. Last time it was being depicted this large by lanterns and torches in Europe this was not a happy place. Good luck "taking it back". If the Nazis co-opting it for their flag vexes you so much, you probably shouldn't go and google what else they did.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Fishfly recrop
    iPhone 6, overcast day, nervous bug
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @kenadams -- The swastika in this case as mentioned is of Buddhist purposes since that is what the temples are related to.

Historically speaking, the negative swastika you are referencing was a right facing, 45 degree swastika. If you look closely, the image portrays a left facing 90 degree swastika. Additionally, the image uses a red swastika (probably in association with the Red Swastika Society which was around far longer than Hitler) not black which represents nazism.

I was born and raised in the US (yes a Westerner) as a Roman Catholic. However, in my quest for inner peace, I have researched and learned about a number of different religions. Learning about the use of a swastika in various cultures was one thing that I learned about.

Yes, Nazism tainted the image of a swastika, but other countries, religions, and cultures should not stop using it because you were offended that an image was posted with it.
  •  DavidJaan DavidJaan Posts: 284Member
    People have a great misconception of the swastika due to the misuse in more recent history. Many are surprised to find it in places such as a key symbol on church cornerstones, a positive symbol in Buddhism, etc. Some great, informative posts here.

Low light and leading lines in this one.

Caitlin
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Re: the quad rider.... After being run over he got up and raced some more.... Tough kid!

Oh, we do not discuss politics or religion on this forum. If some communication along these topics is desired please take it to PM.

Thanks
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    My first photography love was macro photography and although I don't do it as much now as I did when I first got a SLR in '85 it is a lot of fun. My local camera club that a macro themed evening yesterday and we all brought with us some gear and gave advice to each other and borrowed gear and tried out new stuff.
    Here is one that I used to show the advantage of a macro lens, getting 1:1 *and* shot at f/57 depth of field isn't that bad. I loved the look of the face when a guy borrowed my Nikon 105mm almost shouted "I'm at f/40!, I've never been near that before..."
    Fra Macrokurset - Local camera club did a thing on macro

Nikon d810 - Nikon 105mm f/2.8 - SB910
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Sorry I am a little behind, but yes the symbol is reversed thankfully in Buddhism...

Back to the joys of celebrating Buddha's Birthday:

Pleasing The Gods
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    DSC_0323
    D810 | 300mm + TC20 | f/8 | 1/80s | ISO 800
    no tripod; had to steady myself on a porch railing
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    I'll continue the bird theme! I was actually sitting in a marsh watching a Moose when this yellow bird (I believe a finch?) landed nearby. This is far from my forte!

DSC_4653_P
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
  • flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    This shot turned out better than I thought it would.
    Beyond The Parade
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Gotta stick that landing..
    Osprey 6_1 1
    7Dm2, 500 F4 at F4.5, 1/1250th, ISO 500, handheld as always..
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    View of the Ulgi Lighthouse and Daewangam Double Arch Bridge in Ulsan:

Ulsan Southeast Coastal Sunrise
  • Flash800Flash800 Posts: 148Member
    Been back into the Superstition Mountains again -- before HELL starts...
    Superstition Mountains
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Street photography is not my thing at all. But when I saw this woman at the bottom of the stairs enjoying a sunny spring NYC afternoon I couldn't resist.
    _DSC3700
    D800 | 24-70 | 70mm | f/7.1 | 1/250s | ISO 400 | -1/3 EV
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    @Coastalconn. Yep. I would imagine a go around from that configuration would take some doing.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @Capt_Spaulding, The osprey doesn't look at all worried
    Where there's smoke there's fire:
    DSC_4656
    Nikon 1 V3 | 10-100 | 100mm | f/5.6 | 1/1250 | ISO 1400
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    haven't had time to get out and shoot so I decided to set up a quick studio in the living room. Using only Speed Lights and several of the Mag Mod modifiers I was able to achieve this. May try some other subjects on white. D810, Sigma 35mm Art, 2 x Yongnuo 560s, 1 x Nikon SB-910.

Wine Bottle
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    _DSC9544.jpg

D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • Flash800Flash800 Posts: 148Member
    Stopped to take a photo, and looked what walked out from hiding to take a look at us. We did not see them before they walked out. All my time in the mountains I have not seen one, and here are 10 all together.
    Superstition Mountains
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    An attempt at doing Frequency Seperation and Converted to BNW in Silver FX

Morgan
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Racing is tight

Road_America_MotoAmerica_II_05.30.15-14
    Msmoto, mod
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    edited June 2015
    @IronHeart: always nice to see an F1 fan on the forum! Hope you had an awesome time in Monaco :)

Words can't describe how amazing these animals are..
    DSC_4625_P

Does anyone have tips for shooting in "very bright" light? Any filters one would recommend? I've noticed a loss in clarity during "Harsh" lighting. For example, I've noticed a significant difference in light at 8,500 ft above sea level (where this photo was shot) vs. the light at/near sea level. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Post edited by Scuderia1 on
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
This discussion has been closed.