Looking for some advice re monopods and quick release plates

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Sorry, PB_PM, I really misunderstood you. I agree VR is better on a monopod, than without VR. I just found, VR is great as well without a monopod. But that might be lack of technique with monopods from my side. I do have a decent Gitzo series 5 with a manfrotto grip, and I think it might become useful as telescopic column for a systematic series 4 if I get the guidance block of the center column out without too much damage. But I'm not good in using it as monopod :(
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ JJ_SO Agree, also is good for self defense if one spots the danger in time..... :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I never posted any examples so here are mine for what it is worth...

Nikon 17-55 @ 1/13 on monopod no VR
    DSC_0036-1

Nikon 18-200 VRI @ 1/5 handheld with VR
    DSC_0029

Nikon 18-200 VRI @ 1/25 handheld with VR
    DSC_0319-1

Nikon 105 F2.8 @ 1/25 monopod with VR
    DSC_0064-1

Not sure what I am showing. If the lens doesn't have VR then a monopod is useful. If you have a long lens then the monopod is useful. I have still used it with VR lenses, but I guess I don't know what it would look like without the monopod. I think anytime you can get a more steady shot even with VR the better off you will be. With my 17-55 and 300 F4 it is almost a must. Also once your shutter speeds get lower than the above examples then you are getting into tripod range anyway. You are going to get motion blur no matter what at those low of shutters.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Something to think about down the road.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2013
    Way to clunky a design for a gimbal, and defeats the purpose because it takes stuff way off center. Get a real one like the Wimberly or Jobu Design models.

Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited February 2013
    I totally disagree with your off-center comment. The lens and body are right in the center over the tripod base. Have you even used the Wimberly or tried to travel with it? I have used them both and the manner in which this has been made is way better than anything Wimberly has to offer...period!!!
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited February 2013

Your method PB_PM. Note what he is using the Wimberly on when he is base camp.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    I prefer the adjustability of the Wimberley or Jobu. By adjusting the lens height one can set the balance of the lens/camera for different weight bias. Also, by maintaining weight low with the Wimberley/Jobu design, it will self center and level. Not possible with the RRS PG-02 Pro/L: Pano-Gimbal with Pro/L. Now, the RRS PG-02 FG: PG-02 Full Gimbal Head is about like the Wimberley. There is a low cost gimbal by Manfrotto, and I have one...in storage...LOL

Incidentally, I had to laugh when the guy talks about weight...we use these gimbal heads with 10 lbs of lens and 5 lbs of camera, 5 lbs of tripod. And, the difference between the full gimbal and the pano arm only is about 10 oz
    Msmoto, mod
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    edited February 2013
    I also use a Manfrotto

but try before you buy, they make quite a big range

I also have a converted window cleaning pole, which goes up to 34 feet

That's a really good idea seven, I'd not thought of using something like that. Which brand of window cleaning pole is it and what head? :-)
    Post edited by SkintBrit on
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
    Special Report:

Nikon Technical Support...as to the torque specs for the tripod mount screw

"As it is a standard tripod mount, you want it to be tight but not too tight. We do not have technical specifications regarding this."

I love this!
    Msmoto, mod
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    They just forgot "not too lose" :D

It's about time they integrate Arca connections on their bodies...
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    On a recent overseas trip I took a monopod along, as well as my tripod. Not being a big user of monopods (they aren't required for my work) I just got an aluminum manfrotto. Let me say that now I am a believer. For 200 mm focal length a monopod produces a real improvement. Since my last trip I've invested in a RRS monopod head.

Msmoto: In our tool kit that we supply with all our underwater camera systems we include a torque screwdriver. This little goodie is about $325.00 retail, and is the most expensive single component of the kit. If I get a chance, I'll test my torque on my L-bracket to see how tight it is.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Im looking at this monopod for d800 and 70-200 2.8
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/manfrotto-290-series-59-4-monopod/2506304.p?id=1218331145797&skuId=2506304

Also do you guys recommend a ball head?
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    edited November 2013
    get a cheap one for around 20 ~ 40 dollars, they are absolutely fine .... monopods - and tripods - for that matter are incredibly simple mechanical items. all monopods are lightweight, there is no such thing as a heavy one

i have used very cheap ones all day, in all weathers. dont buy expensive stuff

its best if you can get to a shop and try one for yourself, check the height is enough for you. if you are over say 6 foot tall, you might find some too short when not being used with a head.

i always use monopods without a head, so dont feel that you need one for sure. you can just tilt the monopod, you dont need to mess around with a head in my opinion, just extra weight and cost

Post edited by mikep on
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/manfrotto-290-series-59-4-monopod/2506304.p?id=1218331145797&skuId=2506304

No ball head, but a step up is a tilt head for a monopod. This allows you to brace the monopod firmly at any angle but tilt the camera for framing. You can get tripod like results as it removes all degrees of freedom of motion.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy

No ball head, but a step up is a tilt head for a monopod. This allows you to brace the monopod firmly at any angle but tilt the camera for framing. You can get tripod like results as it removes all degrees of freedom of motion.
    Like this one?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html
    Jack Roberts
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited November 2013
    I looked at monopods for over two months and came close to buying the Induro Msmoto suggested. I waited over six weeks for a used Gitzo mono pod to appear on eBay. Lost the bidding on the first one but got the second one for just over $100 in spotless condition. The guy bought it and used it once and realized it was too light for his big lens. It was six months old. Check my signature for the exact model. I love it and it supports my wide angle and even my 70-200mm with no problem on a D300 and D7100.

Used it twice and said this doesn't work and checked out monopod heads (swivels up and down). Yes they can get expensive. Bought the Induro because it was inexpensive, notice the difference between cheap and inexpensive. I got it at a camera dealer for around $25 to $30. Last year at a photo expo I saw the Sirui L-10 and fell in love with the fit and finish and the amount of weight it will support. Sold my Induro head for $5 less than I paid for it. Love the Sirui monopod head, see model number below. Sirui is relatively new to the USA market.

You really need a monopod head. Yes, if I had to do it over again, I would buy the Gitzo tripod due to the weight being so reasonable. If you don't plan to use the monopod much, Induro is a good recommendation and easy on the budget.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Here is a good video to show why you do not want to use a ballhead on a monopod. Moreover, I recommend getting a good monopod head when you have $2400, like the 70-200 mounted on it. In addition, for your 70-200 I highly recommend replacing the lens foot with on that is design for Arac Swiss heads.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Vipmediastar
    If you are using a monopod to hold the camera above your head; you do need a ball head but get one that is a light as possible

edited November 2013
    @Golf007sd

Yes, the tilt head is what I use, but the RRS MH-01 Pro: Monopod Head with B2-Pro II, allows the orientation of the tilt to be either for/aft or right/left. For some uses, a very low angle shot or off the edge of something, the ability to change the tilt orientation is invaluable.

And, I agree, the ball head can lead to potential problems if a heavy lens/body is used.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited November 2013
    There is nothing wrong with using a ball head on a monopod, even with relatively heavy lenses like the 70-200/2.8 shown in the video. Like anything else, you just have to know your limits & the limits of your equipment.

I shoot quite a bit of fashion runway and using a ball head on a monopod is pretty much standard technique. Here's a typical view from the media pit:

Pit View, Fashion Art Toronto 2013. Coolpix A, 28mm 1/250s f/4 ISO1600.

On an event like this, the pit is reserved for media & accredited fashion photographers only, i.e., those of us who do this all the time. I'd say almost all were using a ball head on a monopod.

Pan/tilt heads are not typically used for runway photography because pan/tilt heads cannot be rotated sideways into the full vertical position (most are designed for video, which is a predominantly horizontal format). For runway shoots, the majority of the pictures are going to be vertical, which would be inconvenient to setup on a pan/tilt head unless all your lenses have collars.

So take the basic recommendation like the one in the video as just that: a basic recommendation. In real life your needs may vary.
    Post edited by Ade on
    At the auto shows I like a tilt head on the end of the monopod as it is lighter (I think) than a ball head. Verticals are via the "L" plate. And this is what I get:
    NAIAS 2013
    Msmoto, mod
    At the auto shows I like a tilt head on the end of the monopod as it is lighter (I think) than a ball head. Verticals are via the "L" plate. And this is what I get:...
    Beautiful!

I tend to prop my monopod against a chair back, a tree limb, or anything solid, and then use the tilt head to point the camera. This gives me stability equal to a tripod, even with heavy lenses.
    Jack Roberts