Looking for some advice re monopods and quick release plates

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    i like the view @msmoto I will try it next time with the 35mm
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    The problem with L-plates on Nikons is that it becomes impossible to access the USB/HDMI Out/Microphone jacks when the camera is mounted vertically. (At least, on the D800).

I like to tether via USB so I can't use L-plates even though I bought a nice one from Kirk. I should just sell mine unless I can find a different way to tether -- it has literally never been used. (I tried WiFi tethering but it is painfully slow for the D800's giant RAW files).
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2013
    @Abe: The RRS L-Plate for your D800 allows you to move it away from the body a few inches so that you can access your USB port.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited November 2013
    Actually even at its most extreme position, there's still not enough room to insert my TetherTools USB3 connector and still allow the camera to be mounted vertically. (I just tried it again). Not to mention it would be a big hassle to have to keep the L-plate at that extreme position, then adjust it so the camera will fit into the camera bag, then readjust it back on whenever I need to shoot verticals, etc.

If you look closely at the RSS picture how they sharply route the USB cable between the camera, L-plate and the head, that's actually a good illustration how NOT to bend a USB3 cable. Electrical cables have what's called a "minimum bend radius", which is typically 10x to 12.5x the outer diameter of the cable. Sooner or later that cable will start failing, hopefully not in the middle of a shoot.

I think it's be possible to use the L-plate with a right-angle USB3 connector, but those can be finicky for the same reasons above -- plus really, I can just ditch the L-plate and use my ball head. Much less hassle for my use.
    Post edited by Ade on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I use the D4 with a USB connected CamRanger WiFi and no problem has been noted with the "L" plate.
    However, I would guess this is all about what we find we are each happy with and the issue of ball head vs. tilt head is not very important. The weight issue I mentioned earlier is actually not important either as the D4 and 24mm f/1.4 is fairly heavy at four feet above one's head.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    I just want to say thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread! This is a very confusing subject and I think I might be more confused than when I started reading..

I came to this thread because I would like a nice Monopod setup for my D800 + 300mm f/4+tc. I do plan on renting a 400mm lens for next year's Formula 1 race, so I want a setup that will handle the "extra" weight without any issues. Thus, my major uses for this setup will be photographing motorsports and maybe wildlife (slower shutter speeds for the 300mm f/4 until VR arrives).

If this helps: I plan on using a monopod moreso than a tripod. The monopod is a HUGE help when panning fast moving cars and relieving the weight burden of hand-holding a camera and lens for hours in the sun.

I guess a few of my questions are as follows:
    1. Is it worth investing in the Arca-Swiss bracket? Or is that mainly for use with tripods?
    2. I saw most people recommended RRS. Obviously they seem costlier than other companies. But if this is the best deal in the long run, I'd rather invest in them now rather than invest in something "cheap" and change my mind later..
    3. Is it necessary to spend the $300+ on a carbon fibre monopod from RRS? Or can I find a 'head' that is comptabible with a cheaper monopod but will still safely bear the weight of a D800 + 400mm lens?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    No! Definitly Not, don't waste your money on an over priced tripod!!
    Check out the Tracker AB-284
    http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/component/content/article/6-other/105-what-the-pros-say.html

You shouldn't spend more than $125.00
    http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/monopods.html

Shop around... Let your fingers do the walking :-)
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

I totally disagree with ChasCs. A good carbon fiber tripod or monopod by RRS or Gitzo is the way to go when you are about to mount over $10,000 worth of gear on a one. Buy the right tripod and it will be with you for many, many years to come; moreover, the results will show it.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    There are many quality manufacturers of photography equipment, Vanguard is but one, who make quality products,
    So did you click the links! Read the comment from the "Pros"
    Please explain why he should spend more than the price of the pods shown?
    I've compared those other brands and they aren't any better quality, sorry, not for those REDICULOUS prices.

There is no need to blow the wad... That monopod is quality, even for that price.
    Higher Price doesn't always mean better quality either. I can only voice my experience from owning and using what I have.
    I know too, that from seeing foreign knockoffs of products that were overpriced, the sticker doesn't make it better.

No doubt you like and appreciate using the tripods and mono pods of your choosing.
    That's nice. I hope it serves you well for many years and always advantageous of your best and numerous shoots...

Ten grand worth of heavy quality gear should go on a proper safe TRIPOD anyway... Me thinks...l
    What can be done on a monopod that is difficult or impossible with a tripod, aside from mobility?
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

edited November 2013
    @ChasCS: I did not say that: do not buy Vanguard or that their product is not worth of consideration. I was trying to address your remarks as it related to "over price tripod." We all know all to well: you pay for what you get a good majority of the time.

I did a lot of research at the time I was looking for such equipment and I do not regret my choice in the manufacture I went with: RRS. I have expressed my position on their gear throughout this topic, thus their is no need to restate them. I hope one day you get a chance to see their product in person and then you can judge for yourself....

This topic may also help for those seeking advice on Monopods as well: Arca Swiss Conversions of tripod heads. The videos I did may be helpful as well. :P
    I'll only see what you mean, after I get my hands on one... I get that. Looking forward to the day.
    Yes I hope so, Me too, but I probably couldn't spend that much more on one.
    The Vanguard tripod I'm presently using is more than adequate for my present and near future needs.
    And did cost me plenty, well, perhaps not, considering I got the tripod and grip for under $450.00

But perhaps when I buy that new 80-400mm, :-) then I will be contacting you for advice, as I'll need advice of a sturdier base for my much heavier gear.

@ChaseCs: As with all members, I look forward in helping, in a way that is palatable to you and those seeking information on this topic.

Happy shooting :)
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    edited November 2013
    I am using my monopod a lot, so let me give you my two cents:

I have a Gitzo Monopod with RRS tilt head.

The tilt head for me is the way to go. I have tried ballheads on the monopod, but to me it is just too wobbly and adjusting the tension is too tricky and distracts from shooting. I am having L-plates on my cameras, so if I have to switch the orientation, I either use L-plate in vertical, or I simply shoot hand-held.
    I also appreciate the lower weight and the smaller size as compared to a ballhead. At events I am wearing a belt bag and the monopod hangs from the belt without being too top-heavy. The built quality of the tilt head from RRS is really good. It allows to nicely adjust the tension, which is really important. Because sometimes when I am taking my right hand off the camera to get something out of the bag, change a memory card, or even change the lens, I do not want the set-up to flip up or down.

I opted for the Gitzo monopod, because (similar to the RRS) the leg can be extended with twist locks as opposed to clamps (i.e. Manfrotto). To me it is much more ergonomic way to extend the leg. But that is maybe personal preference.
    Quality wise the Gitzo is ok. The rubber foot did not last long though. Which does not bother me too much, because I use the monopod almost exclusively outdoors.

Jürgen
    Post edited by Juergen on
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
    edited November 2013
    For the record, my monopod is a Gitzo as well :D

ARN_6388.jpg
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited November 2013
    And, from the Induro fangirl comes……

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655340-REG/Induro_485_002_GHB2_Gimbal_Head.html

plus

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655210-REG/Induro_471_314_Carbon_8X_CT314_Tripod.html

Available at Adorama as well, I would suggest.

The pair is about $900. RRS is about another $600 for a similar item. Now, there is no question that the RRS is a dream to use. And the Induro is excellent as well. The important consideration is that the weight limit be in the 39 lb range as this will give a much better support, IMO than a lighter weight tripod. Both RRS and Induro make excellent monopods as well. I can not attest to any of the other brands, but sometimes the pros will endorse what is given to them for free.

Leg clamps…I prefer the twist type rather than the flip clamps…just seems like I can make certain all is firmly tightened with the twist clamps better than the flip style.

Oh, before renting a lens, figure out the spot from which you are shooting and the distance from you to the subject. I would try to catch the cars coming out of a corner, almost running toward me. And, if behind a woven wire fence, try to shoot near wide open and test different AF lock times so as to allow the continuous servo mode to work for you and eliminate the fence showing up in the images (way out of focus). My guess is you may want a 500mm if you have 300mm already. Then add a 1.4X if needed. Fine tune this combo of course.

The advantage of a tripod/gimbal vs a monopod is that you can let go of the camera and it sits there. But, a tripod may not be allowed in an F1 race. Monopod can sometimes be brought in as your "walking aid" thus getting by any issue at the gate.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    3. Is it necessary to spend the $300+ on a carbon fibre monopod from RRS? Or can I find a 'head' that is comptabible with a cheaper monopod but will still safely bear the weight of a D800 + 400mm lens?
    NO, NO and double NO

you can get a good monopod, that will do the job perfectly, that will not collapse or any other nonsense for as little as $20. so go crazy and spend $40 !!

at my last photography job we had around 20 cheap monopods and we (me and the other employees) used them all with no issues to support 400mm lenses in all weathers for hours at a time. i have used tons of cheap monopods, and they are no problem. they are a very simple item, just three of four poles and some friction locks that are usually adjustable via some screws

go to a shop and try them for yourself, velbon and monfroto stuff is good.

you dont need carbon fibre, it really isnt that much lighter than steel or aluminium. especially once you add a head to the setup, since expensive heads are often larger and heavier then the cheap ones. so you can go out and spend $1000 dollars on a carbon tripod, add an arca swiss head and you end up with something bigger and heavier than a manfrotto for $900 more expensive. its just marketing that makes you think a gitzo is worth $900 more than a monfroto when it really isnt.

the key is to go to a shop and see for yourself before you buy it
    @juergen what tilt head model do you have? And what equipment are you putting on top of your monopod? I assume if you have an RRS head , you bought an RRS L-plate? (I know Kirk also manufactures L-plates).

For telephoto lenses, are you connecting the lens collar or the L-plate to the tilt head ?

@golf thanks for the pics and videos. I've watched them :)

Does that tilt head allow you to shoot at say a 30 degree angle (side tilt)? This is a great technique by some professional F1 photographers to add a different layer to the pictures.

@msmoto your final paragraph is exactly my issue: F1 races (at least Austin, TX) only allow spectators to carry a monopod. Obviously I would prefer the tripod..

Thanks a lot for the reference point on weight! And the idea about the 500mm lens. Does anyone have experience with the 500mm+TC? I would assume most people would use a tc1.4 since the 500mm is f/4?

I've scouted out quite a few spots to photograph from during the last two years I've attended. I also study photos taken by several professionals to get ideas how they use the brilliant Texas sunshine!
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
    @golf thats one nice looking monopod. Goes well with the DF. I picked up the manfrotto monopod tilt head and extra plate. Next ill replace a tripod. I never needed a sturdier tripod before and picked up less pricy items.
    I started out with sunpack and now they are used to hold my backdrop in place.
    The pistol grip is sturdy but there is plastic and has broken before.
    I have a manfrotto mini tripod that worked grear with d7000 and 351.8g dx

Now i need a sturdier one. Cheap stuff served its purpose but if you can afford the better or best then go for it. In the long run you wont have to replace the item unless something drastic happens.
    It used to be that cheaper monopods (like most other gear) might work well initially but fall apart long term.

However, at a local pro shop here I've seen inexpensive rental monopods (mostly Manfrottos and Induros) withstand daily abuse from renters and they continue to perform just fine. I mean, cosmetically some of the monopods look like someone's been bashing them with a hammer, but functionally they're perfect.

I'm a Gitzo fan myself but from what I have no qualms using a Manfrotto or Induro monopod for professional work. I mean, you can get an excellent Induro monopod at B&H for around $100… nothing to complain about that.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    @juergen what tilt head model do you have? And what equipment are you putting on top of your monopod? I assume if you have an RRS head , you bought an RRS L-plate? (I know Kirk also manufactures L-plates).

For telephoto lenses, are you connecting the lens collar or the L-plate to the tilt head ?

Does that tilt head allow you to shoot at say a 30 degree angle (side tilt)? This is a great technique by some professional F1 photographers to add a different layer to the pictures.

@msmoto your final paragraph is exactly my issue: F1 races (at least Austin, TX) only allow spectators to carry a monopod. Obviously I would prefer the tripod..
    I have the monopod head MH-01 with the B2 AS II clamp. Works like a charm. I have an RRS L-Plate on my D4 and a Kirk L-Plate on the D 800 E. I can not see any difference in quality. The RRS items here in Germany are not easy to get and completely overpriced. The Kirk L-Plate was much cheaper and available within two days. And as I said, same quality.

The heaviest thing I have put on the monopod was the D4 with AFS 600 f/4 plus TC 20.

Any lens, including and north of the 70-200, I support on the lens collar. The f-mount of my camera loves me for that.

As for F1: I have been to almost all race tracks in the current calendar in Europe and in Asia. I never ran into an issue with using a tripod. People in the row in front of you might complain a bit. I either go close to the fence and use the technic as described by MsMoto, or I take a seat which allows me to have clear vision to the track above the fence. Key is to buy the ticket early and look at the website of the track operator. Most of them offer the view of specific seating areas on their web page. Best times to take photos are the practice runs, not the race itself. Usually the grandstands are not completely sold out during practice and you can move around more freely.
    So the best advice I could give is: Take a tripod with gimbal head during practice and a monopod on race day. …..Or…leave even the monopod at home on raceway and enjoy the race and take photos of the crowd.

The photo below is from Singapore last season. Shot from above the fence. 70-200 plus TC 20. Effective focal length 400mm.

Singapore F1 GP

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500

If you are seeking to do a side tilt..hence, left-to-right and back, then you may want to look at RRS newer version of their monopod head: RRS MH-02 LR: Head with indexing LR Clamp.
    edited November 2013
    looking at RRS. Their stuff looks really done right. The flash bracket+L plate+tripod with the ease to convert from portrait to landscape mode. Their stuff looks lovely
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    looking at RRS. Their stuff looks really done right. The flash bracket+L plate+tripod with the ease to convert from portrait to landscape mode. Their stuff looks lovely
    Agree with Vipmediastar and Golf007sd. I did not buy RRS until 8 years ago and had Kirk and RRS. After a few years, all my lens and body brackets are RRS.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited November 2013

I have the monopod head MH-01 with the B2 AS II clamp. Works like a charm. I have an RRS L-Plate on my D4 and a Kirk L-Plate on the D 800 E. I can not see any difference in quality. The RRS items here in Germany are not easy to get and completely overpriced. The Kirk L-Plate was much cheaper and available within two days. And as I said, same quality.

Any lens, including and north of the 70-200, I support on the lens collar. The f-mount of my camera loves me for that.

Jürgen
    Any chance you know if the Kirk Lens collar (for 300mm f/4) is compatible with the RRS clamps?

I'm hoping I don't have to sell mine and exchange it for an RRS..

Awesome pic by the way! I will definitely take some of those tips into account when I see F1 next year :)

Post edited by Scuderia1 on
    @ChasCS: As with all members, I look forward in helping, in a way that is palatable to you and those seeking information on this topic.

Happy shooting :)
    Always joyous... Thank you. Even while clawing through the bramble bushes, and thorny wild Alberta Roses...
    To get the needed pic.
    I hope I'm replying correctly as this was addressed to ChaseCs?? Close enough, but corrected...

While picking up my Nikon wrist strap, I very much Enjoyed a wonderful opportunity today, of placing an awesome
    new Nikon 80-400mm lens on a D800. I was pleasantly surprised, in more ways than one.

Just wished to have a quick look through it and to feel the heft of them bad boys, but it wasn't all that weighty.
    710g to its more than twice1570g although it didn't feel very much more heavy at all.
    I don't think I'll need a stronger tripod or ball head for this combination. But leave that until then... Much later.
    The new 80-400mm lens really is double the weight, but isn't that much heavier feeling to me, than the 24-120mm lens I'm using now.
    I guess it's obviously better to have a setup that is fool proof. As learned here. Understandable.

So my question, What cost is too much? Where should a guy with a limited budget, and funds finally draw the line?
    I checked out those Manfrotto tripods and was not very impressed.
    Sure they are sturdy enough with stout legs and all, but the look and feel didn't do anything for me.
    I see now, the difference of heavy and HEAVY.

So I'm happy to be SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE of the pack, my shoulder thanks me! Smile