Nikon Forum Members = Average Photographers

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    @ spraynpray @Ironheart @WestEndFoto
    thanks for the comments and advice
    I will try and post some more panos
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Are we now going to see less images put on PAD, because members are wondering if they are "Average" LOL
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    When I get home I I'll post an average photo to PAD.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Are we now going to see less images put on PAD, because members are wondering if they are "Average" LOL
    People who worry about such things need to take a chill pill. Life does not depend on how many +1's are beside your post.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    I know I'm going to take a LOT of heat on this but as I've looked over the Nikon Photo-a-Day links I've found that, by in large, there aren't a lot of good photographers around here (myself included - so please, don't presume arrogance on my part).

Does anybody else get the same feeling? There are usually a few nice ones in there but if you take what is being posted here and say move over to Flickr or 500px and take a look at even just the popular photos there you'll see what I consider to be a pretty big gap between IQ there and here.

Am I wrong? Right? No offense aimed at anybody in particular but I can't help but wonder if folks here just concern themselves too much with gear and not enough to taking and processing photos.

Again... I'm just throwing this thought out for discussion, curiosity, and feedback folks. Please don't take offense if you post in there regularly.
    Guilty as charged, and far from offended. :)

I'm relatively new to photography, so you all get to see my journey / progress. I like the feedback I get from here via Flickr. Mostly encouraging.

Before Facebook pre-empted it, I was on a private forum for another type of art. One of the repeating threads was an image of the week contest. The entries received votes and the winner reigned for a week until the next contest ran. Some of the entries were horribly amateurish (probably mine included), and many of the comments were extremely polite, to the point that the artist really didn't receive much constructive criticism. I think a lot of the pros refrained from entering for that reason.

I think the PAD thread is a good place to generate private, constructive criticism. Feel free to send me a note if you're inclined to about any of my photos. I believe that I'm pretty thick-skinned. :)
    edited July 2015

....I think the PAD thread is a good place to generate private, constructive criticism....
    the PAD rules state

Please do not offer criticism of other's images unless specifically requested by the individual posting the photo. Criticism may be best accomplished by posting comments on Flickr or the OP’s photo posting source.

Can any one explain why is it OK to post comments on Flicker but not here ?

If like me, the source is Dropbox this is not possible

Do I need to add Please offer criticism ?
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Just put it in your sig.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I believe that unasked for criticism would curtail posting of images on PAD so having a default of don't offer critique unless asked for is the best solution.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    PAD is just for folks to place an image and that is about it. Unless one asks specifically for feedback, this may not be warranted.

We have had a thread in the past where folks could post and ask for criticism, and if anyone wants to get this going again, do so.

Another idea, a thread where I may post a photo, then an edited edition after I have made the changes I feel required to bring it up a bit in overall quality.

I am a member of two photo clubs and we show images often. Some are quite nice, others could IMO use a lot of improvement. Then we have presentations where the editing must have been forgotten as dozens of similar images are shown, boring me nearly to death. In all cases, I keep my mouth shut unless specifically asked for feedback.

The one fact we may wish to remember is that this forum is about having fun, maybe learning something, and possibly meeting new friends who share our interests. It is not IMO a forum where we can vent our frustrations directly toward another member, but instead our goal is to attempt to get along. Criticism, even in a helpful manner may be misconstrued by a member so tact is suggested.

Just one opinion.....
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,704Member
    Agreed. Criticisms can be extremely helpful but some people can also make very mean-spirited comments about other people in PAD and in other threads. Mean-spirited comments are never helpful and certainly not fun.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Maybe a little knowledge is a dangerous thing .. but as I understand it, about 20-25% of people in general take a difference in opinion as a "I dont like you" so Critique is taken as rejection.. so we must be careful .. :-)
    I do like it if the 70% can put "CC welcome" on their pictures or thread as that I find promotes learning. I do visit a forum that has that understanding as default.. but still have a "non Critique" thread like PAD.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited July 2015

Another idea, a thread where I may post a photo, then an edited edition after I have made the changes I feel required to bring it up a bit in overall quality.
    here is one

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3108/the-same-basic-image-post-processed-in-different-ways-#Item_39
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    so far, I am finding the comments on my gate, very interesting
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 392Member
    I just love PAD, exactly the way we do it. There is a lot to be learned there, simply from positing what each photographer was thinking and dealing with at the time of the shot. I also appreciate having a place to post some of the strange subjects I shoot in the name of finding an interesting composition and/or light. My family gives me a hard time whenever I point the camera at "weird things", but I always know I can find solace with kindred spirits here. :D

In that regard, I'm going to post a "weird thing" shot on PAD right now...
    so far, I am finding the comments on my gate, very interesting
    Guys, it would be better if you posted this extensive critique in the right thread. This is PAD. a few words is one thing, but repeated reposting isn't on.

well it was interesting
    but from now on I will stick to posting pretty, average pictures, on PAD
    What I think that critique on your image demonstrates for all to see Sevencrossing is the importance of post processing. An average image can become quite spectacular when it is post-processed.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 392Member
    What I think that critique on your image demonstrates for all to see Sevencrossing is the importance of post processing. An average image can become quite spectacular when it is post-processed.
    Spot-on. Once in a while, I'll go through my old photographs, mostly to just reminisce. But, I'll occasionally see something in an otherwise 'average' exposure that prompts me to work on it. Sometimes, it's just a contrast tweak or some such; sometimes the result bears little resemblance to the original. And, it all brings joy to this average photographer...
    PAD rules should be "lightened up" moderators when a person asks for critique. The best way to provide and demonstrate that critique to to see two photos on your screen at the same time so you can observe the minute differences and they effect they make. You cannot do that unless you post right after the original PAD image or you post the before and after (two images) in the same post. Of course, the moderators rule but I am on record stating that PAD should allow critiques and examples when requested by the original poster.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    I do notice that comments on an image in PAD tend to make that thread unwieldy. The other forum I mentioned used a format where each image had its own thread in a separate section of that forum. Each image was followed by comments on it.

Perhaps it would be simpler for one to start a new thread with his or her image, and ask for comments, assuming that those in charge approve. If that's something beyond this board's purpose or desires, I'm certainly fine with that. :)
    PAD rules should be "lightened up" moderators when a person asks for critique. The best way to provide and demonstrate that critique to to see two photos on your screen at the same time so you can observe the minute differences and they effect they make. You cannot do that unless you post right after the original PAD image or you post the before and after (two images) in the same post. Of course, the moderators rule but I am on record stating that PAD should allow critiques and examples when requested by the original poster.
    This would make me nervous. I think that people will see critiques and not understanding the rules, start offering their own unsolicited critiques. I think that it is a slippery slope.
    edited July 2015
    The solution in the past has been to post photos for which you want to solicit critiques on a critique a photo thread instead of on PAD. For example:

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2324/critique-my-image#Item_460

and

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3192/critique-my-photos-seeking-weddingcouples-photographers-feedback#Item_114

Unfortunately, few people do. I think most of us are afraid of criticism because we would rather keep the illusion that our photos are "great" instead of learn how they may be improved. As a group we are the poorer for that reticence.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

Unfortunately, few people do. I think most of us are afraid of criticism because we would rather keep the illusion that our photos are "great" instead of learn how they may be improved. As a group we are the poorer for that reticence.
    Or there is another possibility, that the vast majority of people are not concerned about what other think about their photos. Sometimes the fun in sharing photos is just in sharing what you've seen and experienced. There is more value to an image than it's technical or artistic merits, something I think is often forgotten in the photographic community. That very attitude is what creates a sense of elitism among some artists. Not saying that is the case, but I'm simply putting that thought out there.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Yes, fun in sharing is a legitimate possibility and use of PAD.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    As has been said a few times, PAD is PAD and critique my photo is critique my photo. They are different and separate. Just look at how the critiquing of sevencrossing's image disrupted the flow of the PAD thread for those browsing images. It should be self evident after seeing that.

If you are asked to, or feel the need to critique an image on PAD that has been hosted on Flickr, go there and have at it. The OP can communicate (or not) with you as they see fit.

Always learning.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    I like PAD as it is: A lot of pictures and very few words. Please dont make the PAD a lot of words and very few pictures.

In the age of the internet we are all in competition with millions of photographers = if you are among the best - you are one out of a million :-) Looking at it that way I can live with average :-)