200-500f5.6 Priced Under $1,400: Are You Excited?

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Sounds like this lens is holding up to a fabulous piece of glass. Has anyone compared it to a 400mm/f2.8 Nikkor?
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I've only handled both briefly but I would say they are still two different classes even though the 200-500 is very good indeed.
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 736Member
    edited April 2018
    Sorry to necro an old thread, but just received my copy of the 200-500 and thought some might be interested in my "out of the box" experience. A couple of things of note so far: the VR works wonders-I use BBF and after releasing the back button it takes a second and it then becomes clear I have the steady hands of a 65 year old - press the button, and I'm 25 again. Second, the IQ is very good. The attached image was taken hand held at 500mm on a D7200 (f5.6 at 1/800ish) from about 25 yards through my dog scratched patio sliding glass door. The wind is blowing about 25mph and although I tried to release the shutter between gusts, that really didn't work out too well.

Nikkor 200-500

I'll run a set of tests on it this weekend and check/adjust the focus, but my first impressions are very, very favorable.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited April 2018
    It's a great lens Capt_Spalding.
    Do you need a recommendation for a case of bracket for your tripod?

When I bought that large UV filter for this lens, I had a $60 rebate from B&H. Note, this filter size tends to sell out fast since several big lens are using this size.

Just wait until you are in a public place with the lens hood on and zoomed out to 500 mm. You will get lots of people looking at that long lens. :)
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Photobug. Suggestions would be appreciated. I did buy a Ruggard soft case with the lens, but if there's something you like better, I'm all ears. On the tripod mount front, again suggestions would be great. I'm looking at an RRS 6" or 7.6" extended foot so I can get the whole contraption balanced on the tripod. I'd love to hear your (and others') experience.

On a related question, I have a couple of tripods - a light weight CF (benro) I think with a simple/light weight arca swiss ball head as well as a 30 year old Bogen/Manfrotto. The manfroto has a 3 way pan head and I've been considering replacing the head with an RRS ballhead. At the moment I'm looking at the BH-55 either with or without the panning clamp. Leaning toward the panning model. The RRS is pretty dear so I'm also looking for other suggestions. Recommendations appreciated.

Edit: I'm also looking at the Arca-Swiss P0.
    I looked at several cases and bought the LowePro 13x32cm lens case. This same case works for Nikon 200-500, Tamron 150-600, and the Sigma lens. I have had this case 20 months and its fantastic. Has a screened pouch in the lid to hold lens caps and a microfiber cloth. I also have that small RRS bag in there as well with the hex wrench. Highly recommended. Note the bag diameter is wide enough that the lens hood can be on the lens and it slides into the case and if you turn the lens so that the tripod foot is in the corner, it slides in with no issues. Well padded and the lens fits very nicely. I got an excellent deal on this new lens case, paid $34.95.

Also bought the RRS multi-purpose rail 113mm long Rail to attached to the foot. Specifically: MPR-113 rail. The length is excellent against the foot, it's longer and is a nice grip for carrying the lens and camera upside down. I did install those those safety screw stops that came with the plate so it would not slide off the ball head. It also comes with the MPR-C Flange. This is a must. You mount this flange tight against the Nikon foot and this flange eliminates the lens from twisting on the 113 long rail. Going from memory, the instructions were not clear and I tried mounting the rail two different ways. I did tell customer service they need a better picture on the instruction sheet or better instructions. The MPR-113 is the one recommended by RRS for this lens. Well worth the $55.

Now the big tip. I bought my LowePro 13x32 from B&H and also bought the APE Case neoprene camera strap, black at B&H. Instead of using the LowePro strap which digs into my shoulder since its thin, the APE is soft and wider greatly reduces the strain on the shoulder. I paid $12.99 for this strap. The neoprene really makes a difference and it does not slide on my shoulder. The neoprene will stretch too if you drop that lens into the bag. Had no problems attaching the ends of the straps on to the LowePro rings. That is a heavy lens and the bag is not light so the APE strap was fantastic. I believe the model number is AC00236.

I am using the B+W 95mm UV Filet MRC 010m multicoated filter. The MSRP was $192.60 and it was on sale for $120.00. Since I had a B&H reward card, it only cost me $64.90. Got that one at Adorama. It was on back order and took almost 3 months for it to arrive. Excellent filter.

Sorry for the long message. See next one on the ball head.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |

Thanks Photobug. Suggestions would be appreciated.

On a related question, I have a couple of tripods - a light weight CF (benro) I think with a simple/light weight arca swiss ball head as well as a 30 year old Bogen/Manfrotto. The manfroto has a 3 way pan head and I've been considering replacing the head with an RRS ballhead. At the moment I'm looking at the BH-55 either with or without the panning clamp. Leaning toward the panning model. The RRS is pretty dear so I'm also looking for other suggestions. Recommendations appreciated.

Edit: I'm also looking at the Arca-Swiss P0.

I bought another ball head for my GITZO tripod and after years had an opportunity to use a RRS ball head at a photo workshop. Turn around and sold my ball head and bought the RRS BH-55 LR. Love the head. The "LR" means lever release which I love. It's easy to adjust once you spend an hours training your mind on how it works. It's so smooth and I have cleaned the ball once when I was in a lot of blowing sand.

IMO, the RRS and Gitzo tripods are the best for the buck. Their reliability is high and they sell used for a significant amount of the new cost. The BH-55 works well with the 70-200 F2.8 or 200-500 on the D7100 or D750. Last summer used the TC 1.4X on the 200-500 and was impressed with the results. I have only shot with the TC 1.7X once and the results were good.

I did not get the panning clamp. I have never had an issue with the Arca-Swiss mount on RRS or Kirk plates. I started with a mix of plates and switched to RRS.

RRS Customer Service via email or phone is excellent. Now that they cut their shipping cost, they are easy to recommend.

I just gave you lots to think about. Questions, ask a way. FYI, some where there is a thread on there with RRS in the description. It's full of good tips. Run a search or ask the moderator for help in finding it.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,337Member
    edited April 2018
    I tote my 200-500 around in a Think Tank Glass Limo. More than enough lens space and plenty of room for other stuff too. Shot the eclipse with it on a D500 with an Induro gimbal head. Worked great.
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    That Glass Limo is a very nice piece of kit.
    @Photobug Many thanks for the recommendations.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    @Photobug: I looked at several cases and bought the LowePro 13x32cm lens case. This same case works for Nikon 200-500, Tamron 150-600, and the Sigma lens. I have had this case 20 months and its fantastic. Has a screened pouch in the lid to hold lens caps and a microfiber cloth. I also have that small RRS bag in there as well with the hex wrench. Highly recommended. Note the bag diameter is wide enough that the lens hood can be on the lens and it slides into the case and if you turn the lens so that the tripod foot is in the corner, it slides in with no issues. Well padded and the lens fits very nicely. I got an excellent deal on this new lens case, paid $34.95.

I am looking at this case and the Lens Changer 150 V3.0 from think tank for a sigma 120-300 sport lens. My concern is the nob on the lens hood catching on something.

I really would like a holster that would hold this lens with a griped body but have not found one. I will wait a bit and see if anyone comes up with one.

@Photobug Many thanks for the recommendations.

Your welcome. I had someone recommend that APE strap and it was a great buy. Just passing thing forward.
    retread said:

@Photobug:

Retread said:
    I am looking at this case and the Lens Changer 150 V3.0 from think tank for a sigma 120-300 sport lens. My concern is the nob on the lens hood catching on something.

I really would like a holster that would hold this lens with a griped body but have not found one. I will wait a bit and see if anyone comes up with one.

Ghee, wish I could help. Go to a store and they should let you slide that lens in and out of the case to check for fit.

I use a different LowePro case for my Nikon 70-200 F2.8 and the knob tends to catch on the edge so I have learned how to turn the lens to minimize this interference. Turn it toward the back corner and it slides into the case with no hang ups.

Good luck in your investigating for a case.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited April 2018
    I frankly am very puzzled by all the case references. The real deal on using this camera and the 200-500:lens is the way it is used when hiking and photographing. I got a Kirk Plate with an Arca Swiss adapter and used a Black Rapid Strap on the Kirk Plate. The speed and ability to use this arrangement on my D7500 camera, I did use the big lens on my D7200 camera and the D500 and found those were definitely not as speedy or precise as the D7500. I can carry for quite aways and then use either my D7200 with the 16-80, or the heavier 200-500 on the D7500 very quickly and it allowed me to shoot both really nice scenery, telephoto wildlife stills and video. There is not one part of my camera duo I would change.

In Yellowstone on ten mile hikes alone as there was no one that could take the early and late hours and the physical requirements of hiking down or up canyons, and being sometimes pretty close to Elk, Bison, and in three separate incidents Mountain Lion, Grey Wolf, and Grizzly Bear. The two cameras, lens, etc., worked incredibly well and I carried Storm Guard cover for the D7500 and big lens, but rarely used it except for heavy rain once and heavy snow on three days and morning and evenings. Not once did I use the Lowe Backpack case which I used back and forth on United Airlines from my home in the Adirondack Mountains. The backpack worked great on the airport walks and I did have a six hour wait at the Boston Airport that was made much easier by having most of my gear stowed on airplanes but my cameras and lens were mostly with me in my Lowe Backpack.

I should note, the recent coverage of $12,000 lens which are bigger often than the 200-500 leaves me wondering. The 200-500 with a DX camera and a properly focused still or video is very, very good and rivals many of the bigger more expensive offerings. I met three guys who had the 200-500. Two were renting them, and were going to sell their 10,000 Nikon lens when they got back home. The 180-400 with the teleconverter is $12,500 more or less. But it is bigger. In the center and for quite a way out on DX the 200-500 is very comparable. No other Nikon lens
    I am aware of, has the fan base that the 200-500 does. Are there more expensive lens fan bases, Yes! But fewer are sold and enjoyed! A absolutely wonderful lens at a great price.
    Am I excited? Yes! After about a year and a half of great times! The D7500 regarded as a step backward??? This lens, best according to my DX trials, with the D7500, a real Home Run!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    "I did use the big lens on my D7200 camera and the D500 and found those were definitely not as speedy or precise as the D7500." Did I read this right? You are saying the focus is faster and better on the D7500 than on the D500? Why would that be, other than some newer software tweak?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I took it that 'speedy' referred to the physical balance of the whole assembly Donald. The D500 is heavier than the D7500 so there may be a small advantage there.
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    spraynpray: ok. How did you take the precise if not a reference to quick and precise AF performance?
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited April 2018
    The settings on the D7500 are far quicker to access. ISO can be changed rapidly, I can switch from A setting for stills and to M for video with far greater speed. The 7200 and D500 do not have this. Add the D500 has no onboard flash. This is the reason the D500 with us is in a UW housing as it is less convenient to use. The Ikelite housing which costs more than the camera is built for the D500. That is why practical field use makes the D7200 and D500 less speedy. Then add the D7500 is lighter and the D500 strains on the Kirk Plate and Black Rapid Strap on the 200-500.......”resulting in the quick and obvious choice of the D7500 over the others when it comes to that photographing with that lens. As to donaldejose’s inference that my comment is related to quick and precise AF that is NOT what I was referring to at all. In my experience using them a lot, they are about all the same. Also I have been quite impressed some take the same rig and struggle with AF and I pick it up and have no problem. I know Donald shoots enough that he has seen this with photography and firearms. My complete belief is that the D 7500 is a great camera for the price! Never once has the single SD card been a problem. A couple of guys on Nikon technical hotline have volunteered the same personal finding.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited April 2018
    I ran my 200-500 through a limited battery of tests over the weekend. First I used a laser printed IEEE 12233 test chart and live view at f5.6. I took images with my D7200 at about 30 yards and at 200mm and 500mm. At 100% and then 200% the images are very sharp. At 500mm the flaws in the image of the chart are actually IN THE CHART. That is, they are artifacts of printing the image on a laser printer - some from the printing process and some due to flaws in the paper itself. You can see the grain and texture of the paper. The image from the camera is for all intents and purposes an exact duplicate of the paper and what is on it.

Second, I checked focus calibration. At both 200 and 500 the lens front focused a bit. Using the fine focus adjustment with the lens set at 500 I had to dial in about +9 to get it corrected. Afterward, the images at both 200 and 500 are sharp enough to slice tomatoes. No excuses going forward. If the pictures are bad, it's going to be hard to blame the hardware.

Edit: next up will be getting it dialed in on my D610.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 905Member
    Yes I'm late to this party but there are no controls over unexpected serious health issues. Those behind me I pulled the trigger on this lens and some more items that I've wanted for a long time. To get the most out of this long lens I placed a RRS cradle gimbal in the order. Now I just need an old army jeep to mount it all in. For the time being I'll use it on my D7200 with and with out the 1.4 III extender. Depending on if and when a D760 is released then a new body for the 200-500 is a possibility.

Capt_Spaulding I appreciate your post above.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited February 2019
    I have had the 200-500 for some time now and find it infinitely superior to the Tamron . All my test over the years showed a UV filter degraded the image so I would suggest some on and off tests . I have removed the lens hood and fitted a metal 38mm long one . some of those French hides have holes too small for the original hood. I wrap the whole thing in Gun wrap .cheaper and much better than the silicone rings which move about.
    I buy all my gear from e-infinity (200-500 is £919 at present) but the price moves with the values of the £ due to Brexit, My D850 was £2089 when I bought it . Went up to £2289 and is now down to £1999......Still thats not the RRP of £3499 !!

Anyone had experience with 1.4 teleconverters on this lens and if so which one.
    Thanks
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I've used a TC-E 14 - I would say you can definitely see some degradation compared to without. I think it depends on the subject, lighting and atmospherics - unsurprisingly! Sometimes you can get away with it, others not. I'll look for some photos I've taken with the combo & put a link up later.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    TC e 14 ..I think there are 3 versions ?? Which ??
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2019
    TC-14EII doesn't work with the 200-500mm VR, only version III work switch E lenses.

I've used the Nikon TC-14E (AF-I version), TC-14EII (AF-S), Sigma APO EX DG 1.4x, Sigma APO EX DG 2X TC on various lenses, from high super telephotos to mid-range stuff, and the same can be said for all teleconverters, that they degrade image quality, it's just the nature of the beast.

How much a TC will degrade quality simply depends on how good the TC and the original glass is. Usually when using a TC you want to lower the F stop by at least 1x to get the best results.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.