AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR

Comments

• kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I am with you on this PB_PM I don't think I'll be on board with this refresh. I loved the 24-70 non VR as is and the extra weight and length is not attractive. Unless it was out of this world optically like the 14-24 was upon release back in 2007 with the D3 and D700.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I am on day 3 of a 14 day vacation and shot over 1000 images between yesterday and today in the Badlands, National Park, SD, USA. The 24-70 F2.8 was on my D750 and the 70-200 was on the D7100. This is an excellent combination.

Right now I don't need that VR feature and don't like the fact that I have $300+ in special filters that are 77mm. Still looking forward to the reviews and most important, the lab test results.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2015
    Well for anyone who is waiting for this lens, get ready to wait longer. Nikon just announced a delay, now not shipping until sometime in October.

Not shipping until October
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    Well for anyone who is waiting for this lens, get ready to wait longer. Nikon just announced a delay, now not shipping until sometime in October.

Not shipping until October
    Just read that when coming home and doing my daily NR read. Sigh... I really wanted to use it in Sept. On the main blog some people are commenting that they are trying to do more testing before final release instead of recalling the product. Maybe that is the case, or unicorns came and stole their entire inventory.

D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
    Yes, maybe they discovered a QC issue and decided that after the D600 and D750 issues, along with the 300mm F4 PF problems, it was less expensive to delay the launch. I cannot even imagine how much money Nikon has thrown away on recalls due to QC issues over the last three years.
  • Nik0n2011Nik0n2011 Posts: 70Member
    Yes, maybe they discovered a QC issue and decided that after the D600 and D750 issues, along with the 300mm F4 PF problems, it was less expensive to delay the launch. I cannot even imagine how much money Nikon has thrown away on recalls due to QC issues over the last three years.
    with all the issues we have seen in the last 2-3 years
    i wonder if anyone has been fired OR if Nikon invested anything in QC
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited August 2015
    Maybe they are having the same problems they had when they first produced the original lenses. A noise when zoomingl
    like a weiring sound inside the lens at about 30mm to 45mm. Nikon never accepted the fault but a lot of the original lenses were repaired FOC including mine after major discussion with Nikon.
    The problem was the internal helicoid was scratching the external part of the lens and needed extra lubrication.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited August 2015
    I know that I've posted that I most likely won't be getting this lens but perhaps I'm seeking clarification on a couple of things. I've read many (not all) of the comments in this thread and many include the terms "pros" and "events." I tend to think that a true professional has a main objective of getting the shot - which means he/she is more likely to shoot with a higher ISO and snap that shutter at the key moment and then use noise reduction in post if necessary. I've done weddings and events, and I've photographed things that happen instantaneously, and only once - like random hugs for example. The focus speed of the non-VR 24-70mm is amazing enough to get those fast shots to the point where VR might not even "kick in" fast enough to matter.

And that brings up this thought ... with the improvement in higher ISO image quality in today's cameras and better noise reduction algorithms in post I think we can actually afford to shoot with higher ISO's and faster shutter speeds to possibly negate the need for VR in many cases. In a recent CreativeLive session on wedding photography that I watched, one retoucher mentioned that they always incorporate a bit of noise reduction in their edits - no matter what. Good for the skin and the bride never complains about that!

So, I guess Nikon might have answered many prayers by giving this lens VR but I can't help but to question it's true legitimacy in the pro realm.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

It's not just about VR Nikon have redesigned the lens 20 elements compared to 15, 16 groups compared to 11
    Fluorine coating, faster auto focus, check out the comparison

http://www.lenstip.com/porownaj.php?co=obiektyw&ile=2&add0=641&add1=1296
    It's now on my list shame its October
    More glass, more problems. In other words, reduced light transmission, flatter looking images, etc.
    PB-PM I bet your Glass it always half empty, never Half Full.
    Think what you like. It's a matter of physics and the nature of the way light bends when it passes through glass.
    edited August 2015
    An early look and comparison of the VR vs the non-VR lens by Bojan, who used to work for Photozone.

Nikon AF-S 24-70mm F2.8 VR vs F2.8G

Overall, unless you need VR stick with the older version. To sum things up, the non-VR is lighter, smaller, less vignetting, and other than in the extreme corners about equally sharp. Of course the new version does have some pluses, VR, less CA and improved flare resistance. Nikon does not seem to have improved barrel distortion at all, and sharpness at 70mm is still an issue. The new lens also appears to be weaker at minimum focusing distance.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thanks PB_PM. That was a good, concise, and informative comparison. (But, then again, that may be because that is what I wanted to hear. :D )
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Yes PB_PM knows his stuff...Don't worry this lens will make it in plenty of time for many Chridtmas lists. We will definitely know lots about it by then. Wait and see and keep enjoying the already fantastic 24-70 N in the meantime I say :)
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    An early look and comparison of the VR vs the non-VR lens by Bojan, who used to work for Photozone.

Nikon AF-S 24-70mm F2.8 VR vs F2.8G

Overall, unless you need VR stick with the older version. To sum things up, the non-VR is lighter, smaller, less vignetting, and other than in the extreme corners about equally sharp. Of course the new version does have some pluses, VR, less CA and improved flare resistance. Nikon does not seem to have improved barrel distortion at all, and sharpness at 70mm is still an issue. The new lens also appears to be weaker at minimum focusing distance.
    Don't forget the AF, the new version it's ridiculously fast.

• TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited September 2015
    The proof is always in seeing what the new lens will do for what we each shoot. I use this lens almost
    entirely for shooting in studios along with 70-200mm VRII, and also occasionally when shooting tables (I prefer the 24-120 at events because of the zoom range, and the reality that most people cannot see the difference ) at events, but again I am using off camera light low power strobes (180 w/s) mounted to a light stand, or holding the strobe in my hand camera left hand.

The new lens will have to at least half of the $1,000.00 is will cost to transition better than the old model, which is certainly possible. I can almost focus almost in the dark now on a reasonable contrast spot, so the advantage in autofocus speed will have to splendid.

On the quality side shooting with strobes I shot some images over the weekend primarily to help a couple of friends promote their new studio. In the shot below I intentionally let the red curtain hit the model right behind her head. I wanted to see how much of separation I could get from her face with curtain still sharp. The image was shot at 48mm, f/8. 1/250th on the D800.

I think more sharpness than this is overkill for head shots, and for CA, if shooting without flash against an open window I switch to the camera with the 70-200mm attached to it because CA is definitely significant on this lens. "Never say never," but this is going to be hard sell for me because the old one is lighter, and works great for me.

Click on the image to get to Flickr, and then click again in Flickr to see full size.

DSC_0813_NIKON D800  ISO 100 Nikon 24-70mm f-2.8 Max Shot F8  1-250 Second
    Post edited by TriShooter on
  • WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    On the look out for reviews :D

Did anyone buy it already?
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I'm getting tempted to buy a used 'old' one.
    Lots of people must have upgraded, judging by the amount of non-VR ones in Grays ;) And the price has come down
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I don't know if Fro is a professional photographer but one thing for sure, he is a professional entertainer. Hard to watch his vids with all the 16 year old antics. But, I guess that's what sells for him. Nothing to really see in this video. He didn't miss the opportunity to direct you to his website for comparison photos. Smart, more site traffic.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    Those tests certainly make sense of the design to me, if your going to add VR to a lens then it makes sense to favour performance towards the edges of the frame more for uses like landscape.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I shoot with a DX I think I will stay with the old version. I am using the sweet spot in the middle. VR would be nice but I have lived without it so can continue to do so. Maybe someday I will upgrade but not soon.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Thanks for the links @nek4life .. The lens images looks very very very nice !! :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.