AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Those tests certainly make sense of the design to me, if your going to add VR to a lens then it makes sense to favour performance towards the edges of the frame more for uses like landscape.
    And group shot, which as a classic event photography lens it will be used a lot for. Don't want the poor sap stuck at the end of the row all blurry.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't want to be a downer, but I got paid on Monday the 2nd and picked it up at my local shop here in Seoul. While the VR is nice to have I haven't been overly pleased with the vignetting on the edges and an overall lack of crispness to the image compared my old 24-70. I also don't like the weight and length plus the 82mm filter size. I have a ton of 77mm Lee Filter holders and filters that I can't use anymore. Luckily, I traded it in to the shop, but I already contacted them to hold onto it and I will be in tomorrow to swap it back. I was on the fence and decided to try it out, but it is not for me I think. It would be a nice acquisition if you don't have the pervious version or shoot a lot of weddings and events. Many will probably love this VR version as it is well made, but the 24-70 ED N is a classic and suits my style perfectly. Can't wait to have her back :x
    Post edited by kanuck on
    I'm getting tempted to buy a used 'old' one.
    Lots of people must have upgraded, judging by the amount of non-VR ones in Grays ;) And the price has come down
    Here in Seoul the prices of the old version have gone up from $1200 to $1300 to $1500 now used. New they are holding steady at $1700. The new VR version arrived in stock at every store on Oct 10th but it is not selling well I have been told. I am getting my old version back tomorrow, and someone will buy my VR one used now I guess

L-)
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Thanks for sharing your experience,Not the result I wanted to hear, Like many who have the old version and love it, the cost to swap is large , I think I will be waiting till prices adjust and more test information is available.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I noticed the used ones at B & H have gone quickly. In fact I was going to purchase a refurb or used old version, but may have to to new now.

I suppose there is a reason for the larger filter size, but as the performance has not really demonstrated this...MMMM??
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I bet the larger filter size is due to the VR. In order to do VR you need the ability to move one of the elements and/or groups. You need some room to be able to do this, optically speaking.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Why do you care about vignetting? It is the easiest thing to fix in Lightroom. Also, it is sharper in the corners at the expense of centre sharpness, which is a logical lens design choice. Not the best choice for portraits, but better for landscapes and group shots.

Personally, I will stick to getting the sharpest possible primes, but if I was an event photographer, I would buy this lens despite the price premium.

Also, is it possible that you bought a lemon?
  • WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't want to be a downer, but I got paid on Monday the 2nd and picked it up at my local shop here in Seoul. While the VR is nice to have I haven't been overly pleased with the vignetting on the edges and an overall lack of crispness to the image compared my old 24-70. I also don't like the weight and length plus the 82mm filter size. I have a ton of 77mm Lee Filter holders and filters that I can't use anymore. Luckily, I traded it in to the shop, but I already contacted them to hold onto it and I will be in tomorrow to swap it back. I was on the fence and decided to try it out, but it is not for me I think. It would be a nice acquisition if you don't have the pervious version or shoot a lot of weddings and events. Many will probably love this VR version as it is well made, but the 24-70 ED N is a classic and suits my style perfectly. Can't wait to have her back :x
    How was the distortion, weight (front/rear bias?), and any focus shifts?
    Why do you care about vignetting? It is the easiest thing to fix in Lightroom. Also, it is sharper in the corners at the expense of centre sharpness, which is a logical lens design choice. Not the best choice for portraits, but better for landscapes and group shots.

Personally, I will stick to getting the sharpest possible primes, but if I was an event photographer, I would buy this lens despite the price premium.

For me, eyes and faces aren't usually in the center so better corners for portraits is a plus.
    Good for rule of third compositions.
    Post edited by Wesley on
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
    edited November 2015
    I noticed the used ones at B & H have gone quickly. In fact I was going to purchase a refurb or used old version, but may have to to new now.

I suppose there is a reason for the larger filter size, but as the performance has not really demonstrated this...MMMM??
    Yes same here as well and my old 24-70 was an excellent sample so I am glad I was able to swap it back yesterday!

True, but it is one more thing you have to worry about when processing, and I never had a problem with this with the old version. I used the Leica M8 for years with wide angle lenses and the vignetting and color shifts in the corners were a massive pain in the ass trust me even if you set up a preset to fix it fast. I find it always changes from scene to scene. I would stick to the sweet primes or in my case the original 24-70. You are right though for weddings and events the VR of the new version could be your ticket. I shoot events too, but use a monopod or tripod a lot just like for my landscapes so I have decided to stay put.

Wesley, regarding the focus shift I didn't find anything too noticeable at least compared to the old version. The weight and length are only slightly noticeable after you mount it but taking it out of the box you would be in for a surprise especially placed next to each other. I thought the new VR version has more barrel distortion at the 24-28mm end, but only slightly. Focusing on subjects close by was disappointing as well. I noticed right away in the shop testing it out. I put a Giottos Rocket Blower on the counter in the shop and fired away at it from various angles. It's not that the sample was a lemon it just didn't inspire me to want to complete the upgrade although I took it home and shot with it for 3 days. I got my original 24-70mm lens back yesterday (Friday) and returned the VR version. I took a $180 hit though as a restocking fee :( The lens is now being sold in there used department. I am making up the loss this weekend shooting a wedding on the Han River..

Post edited by kanuck on
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    So i get an early xmas gift :D the 24-70 vr . I presently have the non vr version. Yes as widely observed, the new is significantly larger (and less significantly heavier) than the old but in my hands mounted on the camera, weight not that significant though size is. The colour rendition of the new vr version in my D800 seems (struggling for the right words) significantly superior to the existing model (not sure i'm using the right words here). Also the lens is solidly built and is a beauty to hold. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on sharpness because I believe my version is a lemon as sharpness is not impressive at all!

Now for a long while now, I have been aware that my camera body needs some realignment because every single lens I have need AF fine tune adjustment from -7 to as far as -20! So I have been intending to drop off camera body and all lenses at a Nikon facility but not been able to deal with the logistics/timing due to my place of primary residence...

On why I believe my new 24-70 vr lens is a lemon despite the issues with my camera body is the variation in adjustment values I get using Focal when I attempt the AF fine tuning process. At 24mm, it requires a -5 adjustment; at 28mm -7; at 35mm - 14; at 50mm -15 and at 70mm it says -27 (out of range!). Can this be normal?

I have taken a decision that the 24-70 vr be returned. I am however still interested in the lens; I believe the vr, electromagnetic diaphragm, faster af, and superior colour rendition holds sufficient value...would now probably wait for a price drop then initiate a re-order. Would also sort out the issues with my camera body!

Just thought to share.....

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yes, if your camera is "off" in basic focus adjustment, the fine-tune will be wonky. This will be worse with zooms in that the way the AF works is somewhat heuristic and even a small mis-alignment in the body can do terrible things at the ends of the zoom range. I would bet the lens is "in spec" and your body is telling it to do bad things. All of this can be corrected at the service center and you will get back a system that has all of your lenses zero'd out from a fine-tune perspective.
    So i get an early xmas gift :D the 24-70 vr . I presently have the non vr version. Yes as widely observed, the new is significantly larger (and less significantly heavier) than the old but in my hands mounted on the camera, weight not that significant though size is. The colour rendition of the new vr version in my D800 seems (struggling for the right words) significantly superior to the existing model (not sure i'm using the right words here). Also the lens is solidly built and is a beauty to hold. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on sharpness because I believe my version is a lemon as sharpness is not impressive at all!

Now for a long while now, I have been aware that my camera body needs some realignment because every single lens I have need AF fine tune adjustment from -7 to as far as -20! So I have been intending to drop off camera body and all lenses at a Nikon facility but not been able to deal with the logistics/timing due to my place of primary residence...

On why I believe my new 24-70 vr lens is a lemon despite the issues with my camera body is the variation in adjustment values I get using Focal when I attempt the AF fine tuning process. At 24mm, it requires a -5 adjustment; at 28mm -7; at 35mm - 14; at 50mm -15 and at 70mm it says -27 (out of range!). Can this be normal?

I have taken a decision that the 24-70 vr be returned. I am however still interested in the lens; I believe the vr, electromagnetic diaphragm, faster af, and superior colour rendition holds sufficient value...would now probably wait for a price drop then initiate a re-order. Would also sort out the issues with my camera body!

Just thought to share.....

Interesting share, I could be back in the future as well I just wasn't blown away enough to justify keeping it over my old 24-70 N. So it sounds like you were looking for an upgrade on your old version because you weren't completely satisfied with it's color rendition? I found the new model definately focused a lot faster especially in the 35-70 end. However, close focus was not impressive at all. I might have had a poor sample like you perhaps. I am very happy I was able to get my old lens back and that they hadn't sold it yet in the shop...
    edited November 2015
    Interesting comments on here..

Post edited by kanuck on
    You might also need to take the D800 and lens in together for a calibration if your body is out of wack that much. Was it dropped perhaps? Those figures are pretty extreme -20! Wowza...
    You might also need to take the D800 and lens in together for a calibration if your body is out of wack that much. Was it dropped perhaps? Those figures are pretty extreme -20! Wowza...
    Oh..had no issues with colour rendition with the non vr version...i just made an observation from my limited use of the vr verison that the colour rendtion seems superior.... the 800 definitely needs to go in as soon as i can manage that... There is no nikon service facility in my area of primary residence so wld have to be when i'm in the uk or us (mostly on business) and the timing works!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The UK service centre will sort you out for sure. Call 0330 123 0932 when you are over here or +44 330 123 0932 from the USA to arrange something special to avoid disappointment.
    Always learning.
    The UK service centre will sort you out for sure. Call 0330 123 0932 when you are over here or +44 330 123 0932 from the USA to arrange something special to avoid disappointment.
    Thanks Spraynpray!

I haven't done a lens + body Nikon Calibration before, but in Seoul my older brother gave me his Canon 5dM3 and his 16-35 2.8 lens to take into the Canon AS center. It cost about $80 USD or about 45 British Pounds this past spring. That should be a similar price range in the UK for their service centre I would imagine.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    The D800 did have focus issues. I had mine serviced and the focusing and mirror was adjusted. You may need to get it checked it out. See if you can get a discount on the repair.
    edited November 2015
    :)>- Vipmediasrat_JZ...thanks
    Post edited by CEBlueclouds on
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    I was waiting to see if this lens had positive reviews, but it's looking like a used or refurbished copy of the previous version at half the price is looking better and better to me all the time. I'd definitely like to see more real world examples of the images from this new lens rather than photos of brick walls and charts.
    Wow it scores lower in every category so it wasn't just sanity I was questioning after I returned it for my original 24-70 N back in October! DXO is always spot on for Nikon equipment too. I guess now that the word is out, the prices of the original 24-70 N ED will go back up again:

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/04/the-new-nikon-af-s-nikkor-24-70mm-f2-8e-ed-vr-lens-tested-at-dxomark-disappointing-scores.aspx/#more-99763
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yup, I've already noticed dealers are jacking up the price on used copies of the original. Should have held onto mine a little longer before trading it. :))
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Wow it scores lower in every category so it wasn't just sanity I was questioning after I returned it for my original 24-70 N back in October! DXO is always spot on for Nikon equipment too. I guess now that the word is out, the prices of the original 24-70 N ED will go back up again:

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/04/the-new-nikon-af-s-nikkor-24-70mm-f2-8e-ed-vr-lens-tested-at-dxomark-disappointing-scores.aspx/#more-99763
    It could be a bad sample. For me as a NON pro, size, weight, and price are important when upgrading and yes I would like the VR feature but just could not justify the upgrade. Now I have seen the results and that was an easy decision. My one year old Nikon 24-70 is looking really good right now.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Stand by for a refresh I reckon...
    Always learning.