AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR

12346»

Comments

• haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Adding optical VR to a fast wide angle lens is not a trivial engineering task which is why very few fast wide lenses have it. It requires wider light circles and can adversely affect edge and corner performance.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @spraynpray, this is the refresh, after 8 years. No way are they refreshing it again any time soon. Everyone should take a deep breath, pop a pill or take a drink, and read Rodgers article which is based on testing 10 copies on an optical bench:
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/nikon-24-70mm-f2-8-ed-af-s-vr-sharpness-optical-bench-testing
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Yes possibly a refresh or maybe a new F4 24-70mm ED N VR lens like what Canon did. Lighter, shorter, but sharper. I can't see Nikon pumping in more R&D into a newer version of this 2.8 sample right away. The VR was a welcome idea, but it looks like it comes with some drawbacks. Again, when I used the newer version I found it to be great just not a major upgrade over the original version and I didn't like the close focus results or the vignetting compared to the original...

I bet a new 16-35mm VR F4 is in the works as well. It needs a refresh for these newer higher resolution bodies. I can't believe it is 5 years old now (2010) soon to be 6 already. 2 years before the D800 series was happily unleashed ;)
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    @spraynpray, this is the refresh, after 8 years. No way are they refreshing it again any time soon. Everyone should take a deep breath, pop a pill or take a drink, and read Rodgers article which is based on testing 10 copies on an optical bench:
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/nikon-24-70mm-f2-8-ed-af-s-vr-sharpness-optical-bench-testing
    After reading the Lensrentals article where 10 copies are averaged, I will assign more credibility to that than the DXO test with only one lens. That is a major weakness of DXO.

After reading the Lensrental article, it seems like a great lens and I would not hesitate to buy it instead of the G if I was an event photographer. I think that people that are critical of this lens are not considering the purpose of the lens. I cannot imagine that a client of an event photographer will notice the slight reduction in centre sharpness of the E compared to the G or even ten times as much. The VR will provide for many more keepers. It does not matter how sharp your lens is if it is blurry.

More to the point, if you are so critical of sharpness that there is an issue here, then you are not an experienced event photographer. If you have a good reason enough reason to care about sharpness to pass on this lens, then you should be buying primes, not zooms.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I stand by my decision that I made back in October and happily saved myself nearly $1000 that I will be spending during this holiday season. I just didn't see enough to warrant the upgrade I simply value money too much. If it was someone else's coin then I wouldn't be as one-sided, but I think I'd still keep the original regardless...
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I just find incredible that the Nikon Corporation can produce a lens that is inferior to a previous model released some 8 years ago. in any form.

In view of a 30% price increase on the current previous model. In that period of time what have the technical guys at Nikon been doing. The new lens should be perfect in all areas, not just in certain areas, and should be a market leader.
    I would have thought that Nikon should have learnt their lesson when they brought the original 24-70 lens out, That had helicoid problems with a scraping sound when the focal length was changed.. If your charge Professional Prices for a New Product, it should meet all the necessary requirements a Professional Photographer demands.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    I am an event photographer and I find these comments about it being perfect for event photography kind of crazy. I don't need VR, I never go below 1/125th and 1/250 is ideal, or you get blurry eyes or faces. If I start to go below that shutter speed out come the speedlights. Faster focus is nice, but I shot 1100 images yesterday and my lens missed focus maybe 3 times. If you are shooting people, you don't put eyes anywhere near the edge of the frame, and none of focus points in the camera are near the edge, therefore edge sharpness on an portrait/event lens is a non issue.

This lens makes more sense as a walkaround lens for photo documentary work, shooting static subjects in low light or indoors where you want a smaller aperture for depth of field, and sharpness all the way to edge of the picture.

As an event photographer, I won't be purchasing the new lens.
    I just find incredible that the Nikon Corporation can produce a lens that is inferior to a previous model released some 8 years ago. in any form.

In view of a 30% price increase on the current previous model. In that period of time what have the technical guys at Nikon been doing. The new lens should be perfect in all areas, not just in certain areas, and should be a market leader.
    I would have thought that Nikon should have learnt their lesson when they brought the original 24-70 lens out, That had helicoid problems with a scraping sound when the focal length was changed.. If your charge Professional Prices for a New Product, it should meet all the necessary requirements a Professional Photographer demands.
    I don't have any zooms, unless you count my 14-24 2.8, which I think of as a 14mm prime.

However, I am becoming known as "The Camera Guy" and am getting asked to shoot events for my work and professional associations which is turning me into a sometime event photographer. That means I have a strong case to purchase a zoom and I am considering this one.

My passion will continue to be "artistic" photography, which for me means owning a solid collection of primes.

First, I must repeat, as much as I respect DXO on many fronts, I am forced to dismiss their review relating to sharpness in favour of the Lensrental sharpness review. Lensrental has a sample of 10. 20 would be better, but 1 is a joke. DXO needs to address this if I am not going to discount their review for this factor. Given a likely standard deviation on lens performance, it may be that a DXO score of 25 and 30 should be considered the same.

Now regarding Paulr's above comment, I do agree. If I believe the DXO article, I also share his passion. However, since I don't assign creibility to DXO on this front and defer to the Lensrental review, I am merely slightly disappointed.

Lensrental says that this is the best 24-70 on the market, and I am inclined to believe them.

Nikoniser, I don't see this as a portrait lens. For that I will use my 50, 85 or 135 prime depending on how much space I have. If I am at an event, I will have a second body with a prime on it and a 24-70 on the main body.

I am thinking about the event I shot on Friday night, my company's Christmas Tree Lighting charity event, a public event held in the space next to the Olympic Torch. I had my D800 and two primes, my 24mm 2.8 AIS and 50 1.4G, NOT optimum event kit. Last year we hired an event photographer with full stage access and I ran around with my D800 and no special access. About half the shots that got used were mine and I only lost out when access was important. I won out on all the portrait shots, by reason of better isolation due to a faster lens and better lighting due to no flash. On camera flash is ugly and obvious in my view and in the view of the event organizers, as this year I was the event photographer with full stage access.

As I was shooting the event with my sub-par equipment, I was watching ISO, shutter speed and aperture closely with a view to deciding what kit I really need. I was also struggling with focus issues with my 50, as a fellow employee dropped it from 4 feet on to concrete. Anyone who has a 50 1.4G should try that. It bounces just like a tennis ball. If Nikon can't fix it, I will upgrade to the 58.

I set auto-ISO to max at 6400 and turned the auto selector for shutter speed to a slow shutter speed. Then every shot was about 10 shots. Many are blurry, but there are always a couple of reasonably sharp shots.

I will be looking at the pictures closely to decide if I find ISO acceptable. However, I find myself thinking that anything that can help me get the shutter speed down is worth paying for. For that reason, the E trumps the G.

Also, as I said earlier, centre sharpness is important for portraits, but I am not going to use a 24-70 for that. I will use a prime. One of my best shots from Friday night is a shot of the Christmas tree being lit up with a crowd in front of it. The subject, the 75 foot tall Christmas Tree with small points of light that I don't want blurry, is off the the extreme right. I also took numerous shots of groups of people, which means eyes off the the extreme right and left.

So for me, shooting events, the E with its superior edge to edge sharpness trumps the G with its superior centre sharpness. VR seals the deal. Despite my quibble about centre sharpness, I consider this a win for Nikon

When the D820 comes out, my kit for an event like this will be the D820 with the 24-70 2.8E (to mate up the latest in auto-focus advances) and my D800 with my 85 1.4G.
    edited December 2015
    Perhaps another lesson learned is never hand your gear to anyone during an event. At family events, sure, but at a gig, never. At least it wasn't your 50/1.2. You've got to give details on this one...
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    edited December 2015
    Perhaps another lesson learned is never hand your gear to anyone during an event. At family events, sure, but at a gig, never.
    That is for sure. I am glad it only cost me my 50 1.4G to learn that lesson and not the 85 1.4G. It is my fault, not Ashley's.

On the whole it was a pretty educational evening.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    I'm not in the market for any 24-70 lens, and I didn't read the DXO report with any great detail, but to test just one sample of the lens violates one of the biggest pillars of science- large sample size.

People take DXO way too seriously sometimes. Value for money is one thing- it's an expensive lens for sure, but it can't be the end all be all of reports. There's a lot of factors to consider, including but not limited to sample variation and unfortunately, Nikon quality control as well.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    More to the point, if you are so critical of sharpness that there is an issue here, then you are not an experienced event photographer. If you have a good reason enough reason to care about sharpness to pass on this lens, then you should be buying primes, not zooms.
    Sharpness is good but capturing the moment is better. I passed some non critical sharp photos to the client. It was the moment that was desired here.

I have the 24-70g and I never liked it but it is great for events. Paired with a 70-200f4 on another body makes it a nice combo. Towards the end I used one body and shot at f2 with a prime once I made sure all event was well covered.

I was supposed to just do candids but then the family wanted formals. The groups ranged from 2 people to 15 people in a matter of seconds. I could have had two primes but having the two zooms allowed me to do the formals and the candids while the next group went up on stage.

• nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    Has anyone on the forum actually purchased this lens? I'm curious about the real world results. Reviews are mixed and I've seen some examples on Flickr that are incredibly sharp, while others complain about this lens not being as good as the previous iteration.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Not much response to your request nek4life, does this mean not many photographers are buying this lens? I was keen to buy when it was announced but was very surprised by the negative feedback by responsible photographers.I use this focal length a lot and love my 24-70 lens but I for one will not be upgrading[perhaps the wrong word} to the new 24-70 VR lens.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • petersvppetersvp Posts: 8Member
    Well, I confess! I bought a new Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 VR1 back in November. Shortly after I received the lens the negative reports started appearing which made me anxious about the decision I had made. In fact, at one point, the lens was packed up ready to be returned. Instead, I decided, very much as an amateur, to test this lens thoroughly as to whether it would suit my purposes and give me some decent images.

So following the advice I found on the forum and on the web I have tested the 24-70mm f2.8 using both the new and previous version for comparison. I made a display of the focus charts available at Bob Atkins.com. I made many comparisons between both versions and I also took a variety of real world photographs including my favourite brick wall! I also produced A4 and A3 prints for close examination. I used a D810 for these tests. More recently the new lens has been out and about with me and used with a D810 and D3S, on and off a tripod.

I appear fortunate to have a lens without any of the auto focus issues found in the early “trial” versions and my findings, from an amateur’s point of view, concur exactly with those by Roger Cicaia at www. lensrentals.com/blog. His very helpful articles on reading MTF charts and advice on what can be sharpened and what cannot be sharpened (Acutance and Microcontrast) are also well worth reading and will help get the most out of this lens. Like using the D810, technique and careful post processing is all important

In the end, I have decided, quite happily, to keep both lenses as they are both good and may serve slightly different purposes – again look at the MTF chart. Recent images suggest, however, that the new version will be my “go to” lens. The major benefit of the new lens is not only the much improved edge to edge sharpness but also a very effective VR system. Mostly I use a tripod but in, for example, churches and cathedrals, where tripods are not usually allowed and light can be variable, VR has been very helpful. Recent images taken on a dark day inside Liverpool’s (UK) RC and Anglican Cathedrals show, for example,brickwork and ornamentation in fine detail, edge to edge. Any slight centre softness seems, to my eyes, to go in post processing.

At home, without VR my brickwall image at f/18 70mm at just 1/10 of a second was mush, as expected. The same shot with VR was crisp and sharp throughout. Quite impressive. The DXO findings are worth considering but you do need to see the detailed results at Lens Rentals for a more complete picture of this lens.

There is vignetting at f2.8 but Lightroon/Camera Raw deals with this under the lens profile/calibration tab perfectly. As to increased size and weight I really don’t find this is too much of an issue and the new lens looks and feels very well made and handles brilliantly – as did the previous version. Buying new 82mm filters etc is an additional cost however. This lens is not, I would suggest, a dummy (the images I have taken and processed, in my non-professional judgement, are more than satisfactory regarding sharpness, as good as anything I have taken before – they just need the same careful attention in Photoshop as do most images) and if it would only stop raining here in the UK I will get out to test it some more!

So, for edge to edge sharpness and effective VR, where tripods are not allowed or are not practicable, this new lens, mounted on a good camera, is worth serious research and consideration.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the update petersvp! I've been trying to track down real world images, but the flickr pools are awfully small and don't have many images. Truth be had I'm more curious than anything and just interested in how this lens shook out after the initial reviews.
    I bought this lens today. My son is 8 days past due, so I am going to baptize this lens during this big event. We will see how it does. I am quite curious how the VR performs.

I am also comfortable with the optical performance of this lens. I think that across the frame sharpness more than makes up for the slightly reduced centre sharpness. And in an effort to keep the ISO lower than "stupid", to the extent that the VR helps achieve that, the lens is sharper. I remember that noise is essentially a reduction in sharpness (and a few other things). It is a moot point that your lens is sharper if you have to quadruple the ISO to get a sharp image - the increase in ISO will effect sharpness more than the difference between any two lenses will.

As an antidote to injesting zoom, I needed a dose of prime, preferably Manual Focus. As such, I also have the 24mm 3.5 PC on order.
    Wow! A third of my shots are sharp at 1/3rd of a second at 70mm!
    Is this your first lens with VR? Fun huh?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    VR is also helpful when panning.....if the panning is matched up very close the VR nails it.....or at least I think this is how I get sharp shots... :))

While some have criticized the new VR 24-70, I tend to agree, its sharpness combined with the VR should produce superior results overall compared to the old version.

Great addition to your kit, WestEndFoto
    Msmoto, mod
    Nice WestEndFoto looking forward to seeing some samples!