D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Looking at the shot of the dual card slots in the D500 PDF it looks as if thee may be room for a second XQD card instead of the SD card. What do you think.
    ? Has Nikon taught ahead and made provision fro this?

Just a wild thought. If they can change one camera did they plan ahead with the other.
    I wonder what the birders on the forum think about this camera-
    As a stating birder and wildlife shooter yes it interests me!
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    D500 + 200-500 f5.6 just may be a great combo for birding. Total cost would be under $3,500 new. Another possibility is to match the D500 with a 300mm f4 pf lens or with a 300mm f2.8 lens and a 1.4 teleconverter. I am sure there will be lots of interesting "birding" options and reviews when the body is out.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I am staying with the D7000 series. With an aquatic housing our D7200 is the ticket. I has stated I would not be going to the D400 or now the D500......it is a high speed DX camera that provides nothing we absolutely need! As to FF the bigger sensor has advantages and to us great disadvantages, the 16-80Nikkor lens is one of the best I have ever used. Being from the large and medium format pro status I am never going back! I have owned huge lens that cost more than a new D810 and a couple of the biggest lens for it! Sony's new video camera is one of the best out there for aerial shots, and Nikon's little Nikon 1 AW 1 is a good combo with Go Pro but the Nikon D7200 with a housing is in itself an investment, and our next move. So we pass on the D500 even before the reviews come out. Mirror less may get some interest form others but not here and now.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited January 2016
    The comment on Nikon 1 AW 1 and Go Pro is for underwater, aerial, and work site realities.
    Not even sure where the edit button is anymore on NR?

EDIT: @DaveyJ - it is under that black cog top right of every post.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I will continue bird photography with my D810.
    The technique that has worked best for me is to nail the center focus point on the birds head in FF and usually a DX size crop in post, but not often centered.

The larger buffers of the D810 were a real improvement for me over the D800e, more so than the higher frame rate.

I will be a candidate for the D810 replacement if buffers, resolution and frame rates get even better.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Looking at the shot of the dual card slots in the D500 PDF it looks as if thee may be room for a second XQD card instead of the SD card. What do you think.
    ? Has Nikon taught ahead and made provision fro this?

Just a wild thought. If they can change one camera did they plan ahead with the other.
    I wonder what the birders on the forum think about this camera-
    As a stating birder and wildlife shooter yes it interests me!
    Haha, glad this product interests you!
    The comment on Nikon 1 AW 1 and Go Pro is for underwater, aerial, and work site realities.
    Not even sure where the edit button is anymore on NR?
    The edit button is the gear icon in the top right corner of your post.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    I wonder what the birders on the forum think about this camera- specifically CoastalConn. I don't think he missed out, as he went to a 7D MkII with a telephoto for about $3,500. I think any competent photographer would have been able to get great shots out of a DSLR and a decent telephoto.
    Well the good news I'm still always lurking... :) I was sitting a state park waiting for a harrier fly to fly by. I decided to pick up my phone and click on NR to see what the D5 was going to be all about. The shock of seeing D500 announced sent me in a tizzy. I dejectedly put my 7dm2 and 500 F4 on my passenger seat and just drove home sulking. I felt betrayed that Nikon had waited a year too long to announce the camera that I dreamed of for so long. Only 10 months earlier Nikon had released the D7100B and it was at that point I had made my decision to pack up from the Nikon camp and move along. Many people at that point like to say they never looked back.. I personally always had my eye on the rear view mirror...

My 7dm2 has been plagued with the focus issue and is back at Canon for the third time as it often just produces noisy mushy images. I could track raptors so much better with my D7100 and Tamron 150-600 back in the day. The 10 FPS that made me switch in the first place actually gives me 10 FPS but instead of picking wing angles and catch lights, I just pray to get 1 or 2 out of 10 sharp enough to share.

Luckily I have the 1D4 as a backup that just nails any BIF you throw at it. As normal, I have built a system that I like for rock bottom prices including the Canon 200 F2.8 prime. So where does that all lead to?

For what I shoot personally the D500 looks like a dream. I see people saying that they wish it was a 24 MP sensor which to me seems silly if you are only loosing about 7% linear resolution in a sensor that should in theory produce cleaner high ISO files. The 24 MP sensor has been tweaked here and there, but it is still 3-4 years old at this point. My guess is a new DX King will be announced on DXOmark.

Another issue I see people complaining about is the lack of pop up flash. Personally I see this as trivial and welcome what should be the best DX VF to date. You can get 1 yongnuo RT and 2 receivers for about $120 and control two flashes, They work really well, a friend of mine has them.

Another thing I see is people complaining about the xqd. I see this as a non issue as you can buy the 32gb Sony G xqd(400R/350W) with reader for $110 and just transfer images to a SDXC between shots if you really need the huge buffer.

Then the whole FX vs DX debate that rages on. I like to sum it up this way, if you are focal length limited and can't get closer... On a DX body I have my 500 F4, if you want the same FOV you need to add a TC to your FX and you loose the 1 stop advantage of ISO and you get the same DOF. Plus you have the slight hit in IQ and AF speed.

Of course there are unknowns about the D500 like if it will have any QC issues. There isn't much I don't like about the D500. I've seriously been considering coming home to Nikon. I could do it without loosing money, but I would be giving up a very good back up body in the 1D4 and a very cheap incredible 200 F2.8 that I couldn't replace in the Nikon lineup. Sorry about the rant :)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    @Coastalconn " Sorry about the rant " LOL nothing to be sorry about. Very "real" and reasoned comments.

I myself went with the D7200. Like you I had given up on the D400 from Nikon too like just about the rest of the world. Though, I always hoped they would finally come to their senses I thought some influential moron illogic held sway and probably did for a while. Anyway its finally here.. The specs to me are just about as Perfect as it posibly can be for a DX flagship camera. Though not perfect for me. as I am one of the people who uses the Pop-Up flash as a CLS commander fairly often. I really hope they provide something that looks like the Metz 26 and works(features) like a PopUp SB800 (Flash, Af-assist, CLS commander)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

One of Nikon D500 sample shot from nikon india site, share your comments on this pls :)

http://www.nikon.co.in/tmp/Asia/4016499630/3857477713/365508689/3015334490/1054978028/3993842002/1523121957/2226203566.jpg
    Not much to say. It is a very small 960x460 image with no exif info attached..

Remember back when we had a D400 thread and people were speculating about why it was held up and what it should be? Some people predicted an ISO of 12,800. Impossible they were told. Some people predicted 10 fps. Impossible they were told. Perhaps Nikon was waiting for a new DX sensor and a new processor to meet the specs people wanted and that is why the D500 is now possible using technology derived from the development of the D5.
    Of course it was impossible .. 3 years ago :-) Its still not possible .. for another couple of months anyway :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited January 2016
    i never gave up hope and have my D500 on preorder!

Now that the missing D400 (D500) soon will be here the next question is whether or not people who wanted those specs in DX will now decide to purchase instead slightly lesser specs (less fps and "non-pro" build") in a FX D750. Which is a better deal, the $2000 D500 or the $2000 D750? A new debate for a new thread!

I will start the debate with the comment that there are really three classes of Nikon bodies. The D4/D5 series and the D800/D810 series and the D300/D500 series have the latest technology and the more rugged "pro" build and "pro" control layout. Most of us don't need that ruggedness or that layout. The D7000/7100/7200 series, the D600/610 series and the D750 series are enthusiast bodies occupying the middle of the range of Nikon offerings. The D3100/3200/3300 and the D5100/5200/5500 series are the entry level bodies. The best buy for most advanced but non-working pros is the middle level consisting of the D7000 and D750 series. They are robust enough, have a durable enough shutter rating and have enough direct control buttons and ability to use Nikon's creative lighting system. Most people will never wear out one of these shutters or "break" a body or lens mount. The Dx body will introduce new technology about every 8 years. About a year or two after the D5 is launched its new AF, Expeed 5 and new sensor technology will trickle down to the D7200 and D750 successors. Purchasing those bodies at that point will be the best bang for the buck for most people. Nikon has about two years to sell its new technology at high prices in these expensive bodies before you will be able to purchase that same technology in a less robust, but durable enough, body.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    i never gave up hope and have my D500 on preorder! Now that the missing D400 (D500) soon will be here the next question is whether or not people who wanted those specs in DX will now decide to purchase instead slightly lesser specs (less fps and "non-pro" build") in a FX D750. Which is a better deal, the $2000 D500 or the $2000 D750? A new debate for a new thread!
    Yup .. I would be interested in a D7200 vs D500 discussion too :-) The to Pop or Not to Pop debate... :-)

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    i never gave up hope and have my D500 on preorder! Now that the missing D400 (D500) soon will be here the next question is whether or not people who wanted those specs in DX will now decide to purchase instead slightly lesser specs (less fps and "non-pro" build") in a FX D750. Which is a better deal, the $2000 D500 or the $2000 D750? A new debate for a new thread!
    Yup .. I would be interested in a D7200 vs D500 discussion too :-) The to Pop or Not to Pop debate... :-)

Given that I own a D7200 and I have a D500 on order, the debate is over. Get both. Horses for courses.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited January 2016
    Given that I own a D7200 and I have a D500 on order, the debate is over. Get both. Horses for courses.
    What does the D7200 do that's better than the D500, other than a few Mpx? Or, when/why would you decide to use the D7200 instead of the D500?

Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    I don't think it is a D7200 vs D500 debate. That price spread is too great. It is a D750 vs D500 debate at the same price point. Do you want an FX size sensor or do you want more fps, etc?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I don't think it is a D7200 vs D500 debate. That price spread is too great. It is a D750 vs D500 debate at the same price point. Do you want an FX size sensor or do you want more fps, etc?
    FX. My scapes don't move that fast. 4 fps is enough for portraits.
    You can debate both ways. The D7200 and D500 have the same sensor size. if I go FX it will be the D810 or it's replacement.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    FX. My scapes don't move that fast. 4 fps is enough for portraits.
    The D500 is not really a portrait camera except maybe for wildlife portraits ;)
    Of course there are unknowns about the D500 like if it will have any QC issues. There isn't much I don't like about the D500. I've seriously been considering coming home to Nikon. I could do it without loosing money, but I would be giving up a very good back up body in the 1D4 and a very cheap incredible 200 F2.8 that I couldn't replace in the Nikon lineup. Sorry about the rant :)
    @Coastalconn To me what was one of Canon's biggest mistakes was not using the 1dx/5d3 AF system in the 7d2. The other was failing to deliver an improved sensor and putting in wifi. The Canon 200 2.8 is a nice lens and probably one of my favorite Canon ones because of how compact it is. The 300PF4 for Nikon is pretty close though and would be my recommendation as a near equal trade if you decide to abandon Canon white and rejoin the Nikon dark side. In the interim, make sure you are not using any TC's for the Canon 2.8 lenses and restrict your AF shooting to only the 2.8 high sensitivity point (which it looks like is only the center point based on the diagram below). More than 80% of your images should be sharp if you do that and use a 2.8 lens.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member

one thing that always gets me when using the popup flash as a commander( in my case, using a D800), is autofocusing in dark lighting. does anyone ever have a problem with this? sometimes i want to by a sb700/910/5000 purely for the red LED af-assist, which is superior to the af-assist lamp on most of the cameras with on camera flash commander modes.

so maybe, if i had a bigger budget(which is what many things really come down to), i wouldn't really mind a pro body w/out commander mode, since i would be using a speedlight to control my remote speed lights.(+1 speedlight total)

just my random thoughts.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The SU-800 will solve both problems. You can have the AF-assist, and commander mode. A used SU-800 can be had for less than $100, and there isn't much to break or wear out on this device. There are knock-offs that are really cheap as well.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    yeah i've thought of using that... but at the same time, i'm kinda waiting for them to update it, it came out in 2005(!), surely the update to it is coming soon, and with radio support..

@Coastalconn To me what was one of Canon's biggest mistakes was not using the 1dx/5d3 AF system in the 7d2. The other was failing to deliver an improved sensor and putting in wifi. The Canon 200 2.8 is a nice lens and probably one of my favorite Canon ones because of how compact it is. The 300PF4 for Nikon is pretty close though and would be my recommendation as a near equal trade if you decide to abandon Canon white and rejoin the Nikon dark side. In the interim, make sure you are not using any TC's for the Canon 2.8 lenses and restrict your AF shooting to only the 2.8 high sensitivity point (which it looks like is only the center point based on the diagram below). More than 80% of your images should be sharp if you do that and use a 2.8 lens.
    Actually the 7dm2 AF system is very close to the 1dx with a few minor (1 major, no spot metering on active AF point) differences http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Canon-EOS-7D-II-1D-X-5D-III-AF-Comparison.aspx
    The problem in comparing the 200C to the 300N is price... I paid $310 for the Canon 200 prime big difference from 2K :( I mostly use the 200 on the 1d4 anyways because the IQ is exceptional when I am close to a hawk and the focus speed is very fast and accurate. If my 7dm2 comes back and can focus like my 1d4. I just posted on PAD a RT hawk that dove into some phrags with my 500. AF nightmare, but the 1D4 just got every frame..
    Does any one know does the D500 have depth of field preview? If it is in the specs somewhere I missed it.