D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    A crop sensor camera with lighted buttons! That's advancement!
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    From http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

Things the D500 has that the D5 doesn't:
    30min of 4K UHD recording (the D5 only records 3min)
    3-axis electronic image stabilization (in video mode)
    Flicker reduction function for still images (for Mercury and fluorescent lights, D5 only does this for movies)
    Tilting touch screen (D5 has only touch, and can't take photos during live view with a touch)
    One SD, one XQD slot
    Focus points almost completely cover the screen
  • PhotocellPhotocell Posts: 7Member
    edited January 2016
    =D>
    Post edited by Photocell on
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    From http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

Flicker reduction function for still images (for Mercury and fluorescent lights, D5 only does this for movies)
    Tilting touch screen (D5 has only touch, and can't take photos during live view with a touch)
    One SD, one XQD slot
    you forgot the one biggest difference, a DX sensor ;)
    edited January 2016
    Should I return my D810? And hold off until it's predecessor becomes announced. [-O< It seems like my camera just aged within the last two days.
    The predecessor to the D810, is the D800. It was already announced :P
    I don't think a D810 successor is in the cards for 2016
    Post edited by Ironheart on

One SD, one XQD slot
    you forgot the one biggest difference, a DX sensor ;)
    The D5 has a DX sensor, but it's a measly 12MP ;)
    We should say it has a 20MP DX sensor, and the D5 doesn't :))
  • PhotocellPhotocell Posts: 7Member
    Should I return my D810? And hold off until it's predecessor becomes announced. [-O< It seems like my camera just aged within the last two days.
    I'm like Lester Crest over here, the meds have me messed up. But seriously now you will have a pro body and a somewhat mid range dx camera offering a faster processing engine,better AF, and UHD. Here's my new D810 sporting 1080p,51 point AF, no wifi, no touch screen, no xqd I don't know lucy a newer model seems to be coming down the road. I would hate to loose money on something I worked hard to save for and it's already becoming outdated just saying.
  • NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    Shut up and take my money !

Actually, the thing I am most looking forwards too is Thom shutting up about the d400/500.
    edited January 2016
    No mention of full metal chassis/body, and the exploded view shows only the top, back and lens mount cover as shiny pieces. Looks likely to share the same construction as the D750, and they both weight about the same. D500's wet weight is the same as the D300s' dry weight.
    Post edited by CaMeRaQuEsT on
    I don't think a D810 successor is in the cards for 2016
    its possible... the D800 was announced a month after the D4

and, lol, yes the D500 has a superior DX sensor :D
    Confirmed: " Built with rugged magnesium alloy and carbon fiber materials":

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d500.html
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm like Lester Crest over here, the meds have me messed up. But seriously now you will have a pro body and a somewhat mid range dx camera offering a faster processing engine,better AF, and UHD. Here's my new D810 sporting 1080p,51 point AF, no wifi, no touch screen, no xqd I don't know lucy a newer model seems to be coming down the road. I would hate to loose money on something I worked hard to save for and it's already becoming outdated just saying.
    If you need FX, you need FX, they're kind of different cameras. Do you really need 10 fps? The bluetooth connectivity is nice, but you don't necessarily need that to take better photos, it's just easier to share. The 4K is nice, but that's at 2x DX crop, so wide angle stuff won't work.

Personally, the video stuff I don't care about, so it's not too important for me to upgrade. I'd like to see the D7300 actually inherit most of its features, as I'd like to have the bluetooth but not the weight of a D500.

All the features this camera has will migrate to the next D820 for sure anyway. You can't keep chasing electronics, you upgrade every 2nd generation with camera bodies. Besides, you probably got photos you couldn't have gotten with the D810 had you waited for the D500.

Shoot now, worry about specs later.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    AT LAST! Anybody know if it is a mag body?
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited January 2016

I'd like to see the D7300 actually inherit most of its features, as I'd like to have the bluetooth but not the weight of a D500.

All the features this camera has will migrate to the next D820 for sure anyway. You can't keep chasing electronics, you upgrade every 2nd generation with camera bodies. Besides, you probably got photos you couldn't have gotten with the D810 had you waited for the D500.

Shoot now, worry about specs later.
    I agree with this ^^^
    I also am on the fence about waiting for a cheaper 7300 or just biting the bullet for the D500 or going towards mirrorless. The QC mode is only 3fps which kind of sucks considering that the 810 and most all Canon cameras can shoot QC at higher fps than that. I wish they would have gave more info about the shutter and how loud the 10 fps is going to be. Are we talking D7100/7200 machine gun loud or conversely more like the D810, does not scare off the pigeons loud? Also, if anyone sees some example D500 4K example videos posted, let me know.
    See @cameraquest post:
    Confirmed: " Built with rugged magnesium alloy and carbon fiber materials":
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    Nope, it's like the D750: plastic core, mag top/back/lens mount covers.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2016
    With the enlarged grip like the D750?

Wow, it's like I blinked this evening and they launched everything.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited January 2016

Only 3 minutes seems very low?
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on

yeah... its very low, its on the nikonusa D5 page under tech specs
  • ricochetricochet Posts: 54Member
    When will we see the video of Pitchblack eating one?

yeah... its very low, its on the nikonusa D5 page under tech specs
    They do point this out as well:
    "HDMI output of uncompressed 4K UHD movie data to an external recorder is also possible"
    Which is what a Pro would do anyway. 30min or 3min, it is going to be compressed when written to the internal storage (SD or XQD)
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited January 2016
    I don't know how to say this in english, but holy something... After all these posts about a D400... I suddenly like Nikon again. Now they have a complete DSLR lineup as far as I am concerned. And they have come out with some great lenses recently. PitchBlack and Sevencrossing, what are your comments? :-)
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited January 2016
    double post, too excited...

Post edited by snakebunk on
    @sevencrossing was banned
    @pitchblack is roasting his hat, in preparation for eating a D500 :))
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,673Member
    edited January 2016
    This is a BIG winner for me. Great features and the price is very reasonable considering the features. For all those who thought a D400 would never come: Nikon is late but they have surely given us a "mini-D5" here for less than half the cost.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    The larger finder magnification will be interesting to see. And the -ev4 center autofocus… I guess I need one.
    pictureted at flickr