D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited January 2016

@pitchblack is roasting his hat, in preparation for eating a D500 :))
    I almost forgot about that!

Did anyone pre-order one? I put my $ where my mouth was and bit the bullet.
    Still have time to wait to see what comes out at CP+ as it does not ship until mid March
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Interesting name choice, I guess the D400 project was simply abandon. Whatever, looks like a nice DX sports camera.

As for those going after users who said they didn't think the D400 was coming, they were right, there is no D400. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I think D500 and D7200 aren't all that different as far as the building materials are concerned I'm still happy to see that Nikon is seeing the light and the DSLR is still the king I was very happy to see they were showing how crappy the mirrorless were with EVF and AF system compare to DSLRs
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    To me the best new feature of them all is the Auto AF Fine Tune. Hope it is smart enough to adjust for all focus distances and all focal lengths of zoom lenses. Hope it doesn't suffer from shutter or mirror slap as all the other "carbon fiber" bodies do. Disappointed that 4K is cropped, there is no PD LV AF (the video does show very fast touch AF with minimum hunting) and no focus peaking, so Nikon is still a ways away from being a the top, video-wise, but hope that sharpness at 1080 has been improved at least, and video ADL sounds promising. Really looking forward for the improvements in skin tone depiction, especially under artificial lighting, were Nikon has really been lagging from Canon for like eons now.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Looks like there's no pop up flash though...?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Too late to be a big seller.... Hard to understand why Nikon had to wait this long, till almost all the need & excitement over a pro DX body diminished.... :-?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2016
    Yay! We can welcome @Pitchblack back to our forum!

Auto Af fine tune ! I said it was possible ! Surprised that Nikon listened ;-)

So far, to me, its the perfect DSLR camera !! So perfect that alarm bells are going off.. where are the "gotchas"?

another link. http://www.ishootshows.com/2016/01/05/shooting-impressions-on-assignment-with-the-nikon-d500-and-sb-5000/
    "Excuse me while I scream like a fangirl at a One Direction concert."
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm intrigued definitely. Why there is no flicker reduction on the D5 baffles me (I just dealt with flicker on my D4s). Now I can finally retire my trusty D7000 on a dx body that is built for a pro. In fact this body seems more like a successor to the D2h than the D300 based on the obvious pro nuances. No mode dial, pro viewfinder, no built in flash, etc
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    edited January 2016
    Yay! found one ... "negative" no pop up flash ! I feel better now .. its not too perfect!

PS hmmm .. spec says its got built in flash .. ??

Spec says only 3mins of 4k vid....
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 892Member
    Anxious to see if the 70-200 f4 will lock focus better on the D500 than the D7200 or D810. I get a lot of misses with it. Focal point is spot on but no lock regardless of mode. If not then the 2.8 with its weight will be back.
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    Popping in for a second as I just saw the announcement of the D500. All I can say is it looks like many of you who have wished for a D300 replacement are finally getting what you've been asking for. I hope those who promised they'd open their wallets if Nikon ever delivered such a camera do indeed open their wallets.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 892Member
    Mine will open if it gets good marks from the early adopters here.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Yay! We can welcome @Pitchblack back to our forum!
    +1 a hundred times. I miss his comments but most of all his fantastic photos.

Finally, I have to say I WAS WRONG. I said it starting in June 2013 that there would not be a D400 or D900 or D9000 that replaced the D300s. Nikon surprised us all and we have the D500. Like many D300 users, sold mine and bought the D7100 in September 2013 and then a D750 in November 2014. Do I regret not waiting, hell no.

Initial inspection of the specs it sure looks good to me. Some one posted a link to the Nikon spec info on the first page of this thread. That was excellent and a must read.

The price is high but am I surprised, heck no. At one time I guessed it would be around that $1700-1900 price point. It's to bad but can't wait to see the professional reviews and the Popular Photography lab and field test results and the other reliable reviewers.

Been gone for a four days and this all broke. Wow. Now we have something to discuss and in March or April we should have some first impressions.

Got to stay Peter did a great job getting all this new gear posted. I did see that Roberts Camera in Indianapolis has the wrong price on the SB5000 flash, think it was $260.

Let the discussion move forward as some of us eat some crow.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited January 2016
    So whats with this built in flash when it doesn't have a pop up flash ????

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I was one of those that predicted Nikon would not come out with a D400 and I was wrong.

Too bad for Ironheart that it did not happen before the end of 2014, or else I would be coming to San Francisco and buying the beer. Instead, he has to come to Vancouver and buy me beer (but I prefer wine).

My prediction was also one of the assumptions behind my prediction in the Death to DX thread. I still don't think I am wrong on that, but to be honest to myself, I will go through the exercise of re-evaluating that.

One thing that has me perplexed is the model number assigned by Nikon. I would have expected that a 3 digit number would have been reserved for FX cameras. It makes me wonder what number they will assign an FX camera that is cheaper than the D6XX series. Could it be that the D6XX series is the cheapest FX DSLR in Nikon's plan? Perhaps they will offer FX in the D3XXX/5XXX price range in a mirrorless format?

Hmm.....
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm up past my bed time, taking all this in. The D500 does have a few features that would make a great travel camera for the wife...LOL

Her birthday is in late March.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    One thing that has me perplexed is the model number assigned by Nikon. I would have expected that a 3 digit number would have been reserved for FX cameras. It makes me wonder what number they will assign an FX camera that is cheaper than the D6XX series. Could it be that the D6XX series is the cheapest FX DSLR in Nikon's plan? Perhaps they will offer FX in the D3XXX/5XXX price range in a mirrorless format?

Hmm.....
    Mirrorless could use a different naming system entirely even if it still has an F-mount but also I would say theres room for the D6xx series to actually move down in the market a bit now that the D750 has been released. The two bodies do after all sail pretty close to each other and you could argue might not have been planned to do so.

I think its pretty clear that the higher end of the APSC DSLR market has to be aimed at action shooting these days and this also has the advantage that most of the lenses people will be after for it will be FX tele's anyway meaning there isn't the need for releasing tons of higher end DX stuff.

• niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    It seems someone still prefers his Canon!

"If you're not bought into the Nikon system, the Canon 7D Mk II is a better camera that sells for less — and you can get it today."

"I'd buy the7D Mk II over the D500 any day, even if it cost the same."

But then maybe someone is also in a grump at not getting a preview copy:

"We'll all have to wait until March for real, shipping cameras. Opinions of Nikon's back-pocket PR puppets that are given free pre-production cameras in exchange for glowing reviews obviously don't count."

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d500.htm

J
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    I was one of those that predicted Nikon would not come out with a D400 and I was wrong.
    It makes me wonder what number they will assign an FX camera that is cheaper than the D6XX series.
    a) You were right. It's called "D500" :-)
    b) Seriously, you have my respect for acknowledging your mistake.
    c) "D400" is available for a small FX body. They'll never use it for a DX.

And btw. the D500 is just what I hoped for and more, and I'll be getting it as soon as I've "swallowed" two unpredicted (and not photo related) expenses, both in the $2000 area.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    Hey I was right...Well close. Everything is close to what I expected the i.e. the best DX camera ever! I did say 24MP but I will take the high ISO in a heart beat over megapixels! And oh yes this is a 7D II killer, the only real advantage the 7D II had was frames per second! Can't wait to see the DXOmark numbers!

This was really the camera for me but I've moved on to FX and have fallen in Love with the small body of my D750 and don't think I could ever go back to a bigger camera with a smaller sensor.

The price is hard to swallow, 3K with a lens. I'll be interested to see the body only price. I think this is going to be a niche camera, DX lovers, Birders, and DX sports guys. At 2K (body only) I could see it selling as more of a generalist camera. It's $600 more than the D750 kit... I'm sure the price will come down but this is interesting...

I thinking about a Fuji X-Pro 2 as a second camera :-)
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, so for me this is the poor person's D5. Of course, the question is where is the D400, but it really looks like Nikon has hit a few home runs with this camera for what I am looking for. Remember, i do not shoot video, if I did I would go with one of the big boys...
    Msmoto, mod
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    don't think any of the new cameras will interest the wedding boys so that's a market lost.
  • NoXiNNoXiN Posts: 123Member
    Like many others, I've been wanting this camera for quite a while. My only question is to get one right away or wait until after they update to the 'dot on the bottom of the camera' version.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    don't think any of the new cameras will interest the wedding boys so that's a market lost.
    Meh, I'm happy with what I've got for weddings.

The requirement has been for a fast focusing, low noise, massive buffer, high fps DX for a while and that's what this is. Heck, some of the specs are better than the D5 so let's not moan eh?
    Always learning.
    edited January 2016
    I would have thought the D500 would be perfect for you. especially the 4K video for when you have weddings that only allow video but not clicking .. you can "video" and extract the frames. Its like shooting at 30 FPS !!

I guess you could have done that with the Nikon1 J5 :-)