D500 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• ExpensiveHobbyExpensiveHobby Posts: 27Member
    I've been planning to get the D500 + 16-80 kit for my birthday...now I just hope I can get it with the grip for free on black friday. Has there been any indication what retailers will offer that deal?
    D7000 | D70s |Nikkor 18-70mm | 16-85 VR | 80-200 2.8 D | 50 1.8G | 50 1.4 (manual) | Tamron 200-500 | Sigma 10-20 f3.5 | SB-800 | Manfrotto 190XPROB + 486RC2 Ball |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    If it's a nikon sponsored deal, they all will.
  • ExpensiveHobbyExpensiveHobby Posts: 27Member
    Yeah, it was the one in a recent NR blog post (here).
    D7000 | D70s |Nikkor 18-70mm | 16-85 VR | 80-200 2.8 D | 50 1.8G | 50 1.4 (manual) | Tamron 200-500 | Sigma 10-20 f3.5 | SB-800 | Manfrotto 190XPROB + 486RC2 Ball |
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I just noticed something on my D500-16-to-80 lens combination. In Ap mode with AFs and single-point focus, auto focus works differently in zoom and in non-zoom operations. When I focus through the view-finder, and focus of a critical item, auto-focus works fine -- call that p1. When I focus through live-view and use the +zoom to zoom into the same critical item for focus, auto-focus works fine -- call that p2. Even though p1 and p2 were focused on the same critical item and the camera does not move, p2 is sharper than p1. Is that normal?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    @rmp sounds like you need to fine tune your lens. Live view uses contrast while the viewfinder uses phase. What you did is the easiest test to see if your lens needs fine tune.
    D500 has auto fine tune, which does exactly that. Compares Live View (contrast, on sensor) to Viewfinder (phase, requires several mechanical things to be in alignment) and set the fine-tune value accordingly.

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/auto_af_fine-tuning/

Beware that with a zoom lens you may find that ideal autofocus fine tune values are slightly different at different focal lengths. I usually split the difference, unless they are way off, in which case Nikon can do an adjustment, but you have to send it in.
    I have auto fine-tuned some other lenses, 50mm Sigma and a Nikon 105 mm. But I have not auto, fine-tuned this zoom. Good catch friends, Thanks.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    The auto-fine tune adjustment was +4.
    That seems reasonable, what FL and distance to subject, and did you check it again visually? Just curious :neutral:
    I checked it at 50 and 80 as wide open as the camera would allow. I forgot the distances but I used a d-o-f calculator app so I could see my d-of-f was less than 2 feet in both cases. The adjustment factor was +4 and +3, so I compromised to +4. I did check it visually afterward in the camera and on a computer. The sharpness was very close to the same in the viewfinder and on the camera's screen, and on the computer screen.

I have been so spoiled by the IQ from the D810, the D500 disappoints. I know I shouldn't compare them: different tools, different jobs. Still, the D810 rules.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Guys: I am thinking of selling my D7100 and D750 for a D500. The focus system and low light ability of the D500 is the reason. I have have so much a$$ache trying to focus the D750 on stars in live view (probably because of it's low native ISO) that I have just about had it with it. There are good points about the D750 obviously but I am getting round to thinking the D500 will serve me better. I am open minded and unbiased about the DX/FX thing, but in it's favour is that I can get better starscape results from FX lenses because of using the sweet-spot so I will keep my lenses, just swap-in my bodies.

Thoughts/advice?
    Always learning.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    @spraynpray I'm really pleased with the D500 but I can't say it is any better at live view focusing on stars. I typically just take a few test shots and tweak focus until they are sharp. That said, the D500 is a very good all around camera as long as you have glass for it. I tend to carry it along with a FF body for everything now. Just the ergonomics of new features makes it a pleasure to shoot.
    Hi autofocus: Do you manually focus in live view for stars?
    Always learning.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited November 2016
    Has anyone tested the through-the-viewfinder face/eye detect AF on the D500? How well does it work?

I think you need to set it to auto-area AF and have the face/eye detect option on or something.
    Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,701Member
    I have a D500 and the focus in low light is great, as is the focus during high fps. However, I do not shoot stars at night. But I do have a question? Stars are at infinity. Why not just get an old manual focus wide angle (like 20 mm) Nikon lens, check its infinity focus in good light and then tape it down so it cannot shift off infinity focus? Even shooting as low as f2.8 or f4 your depth of field should be sufficient to cover both the stars and any foreground object. Would that not be a less expensive alternative? I suspect the D5/D500 focus system will be in the soon to be released replacement for the D810 and possibly in the later replacement for the D750. I would be concerned about selling your D750 because of its FX image quality advantage in low light. I do not think the D500 in low light as ISO 3200 is as good as the D750.

Hi autofocus: Do you manually focus in live view for stars?

I don't use live view at all at night. I know where infinity is on my lens and I'll take a couple of test shots to fine tune if needed. Full disclosure, I'm not so worried about the stars anyway since I usually work long exposures and don't intend to print. I know it's different for you as you like to print large.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Guys: I am thinking of selling my D7100 and D750 for a D500. The focus system and low light ability of the D500 is the reason. I have have so much a$$ache trying to focus the D750 on stars in live view (probably because of it's low native ISO) that I have just about had it with it. There are good points about the D750 obviously but I am getting round to thinking the D500 will serve me better. I am open minded and unbiased about the DX/FX thing, but in it's favour is that I can get better starscape results from FX lenses because of using the sweet-spot so I will keep my lenses, just swap-in my bodies.

Thoughts/advice?

I would sell the D7100 and keep the D750 and use the D500 for the stars. I also don't shoot the stars but do shoot super moons and those few occasions when it's BIG so no advise about focusing.

Since I went to FX two years ago it's become my primary camera and I love it. I use the D7100 with any lens of 200mm or longer. Even the 70-200 on it is excellent.

Really think keeping the FX for general photography and using the D500 for wildlife and stars is the way to go.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,341Member
    Photobug said:

NAS is starting to nag me. Must stand firm.

Nah, bro. Treat yourself. It's almost Christmas. B)

- Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    @donaldejose: I wish there was a cheap alternative! Yes, the old manual focus lenses had a reliable stop at infinity, but now with these horrible auto focus lenses being able to focus past infinity, it is a royal pita. The optics have to be fantastic to avoid terrible aberrations so the old stuff is no good I'm afraid. You need wide angle, fast (>f2.8 for sure) and quality.

I will not rush into this change because I'd hate to regret it. I hope to take a D500 owner out for some nightscape tuition in exchange for some clicks with his camera ( ;-) ).

It's the high native ISO that helps with focusing.

@autofocus: You have to use live view zoomed in to 100%. The viewfinder is useless at night in proper dark conditions.

All this talk of taping isn't really practical - if the focus ring is 1/2mm out the pix are useless. Hyperfocal etc counts for nothing. Focus must be precise with thos pinpricks or the apparent aberrations go wild.

I'm also looking to reduce gear.
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray I wish I lived close to you as I would take you up on that tutoring offer. If you decide to buy the D500 I'm certain you'll be happy with it.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,701Member
    Could you set your preferred AF lens to MF, focus on infinity in daylight or some distant brightly lit object at night, then tape it down and use that?
    It's the taping down Donald. Until you've tried taking starscapes that will stand 1:1 viewing you won't get how precise the focusing needs to be and how hard it is to tape stuff down without it moving just enough to ruin the shot. Then there is the point that temp changes have more effect on lenses these days because they are made of whatever materials will do the job and are cheapest. Different coefficients of expansion affect the focus. It's a nightmare - I dunno why I do it!

Honestly, if I could buy a lens that was pre-focused on the stars from -20C to +30C and not adjustable, I'd be all over it.
    Always learning.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member

Honestly, if I could buy a lens that was pre-focused on the stars from -20C to +30C and not adjustable, I'd be all over it.

This would help users solve a real-world problem, so don't expect Nikon or other Japanese companies to bring it ;-)
    Sounds like a great idea for a Kickstarter project. No zoom, no focusing, no variable aperture, no VR, no nothing. Shold be pretty easy, actually, if one guy knows about optics, another guy knows about how to build high precision devices, and the last guy has experience with starscape photography. How about contacting some of those Kickstarter projects that are already building lenses, @spraynpray ?
    (I have no experience here, but if you and others want to discuss more, then maybe a new thread should be started - it sounds like a really great idea.)
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited November 2016
    Had the chance to touch a D500 today .. one of the people that I go photoing with bought it.. :-) as soon as I handled it I knew it was a mistake that I had avoided these last few months ;-) it feels at home ... sigh ....

re D500 vs D750+D7100 .. Logically I cant see the advantage.. but I have the D610 and D7200 and I am also considering a similar swap. BUT for stars I cant see that its an advantage at all... I would have thought that the FX sensor would be a really significant advantage ? and the biggest advantages of the D500 (AF speed and FPS and colour palatte) would be insignificant. and the DX disadvantage (High ISO noise) would be highlighted.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    A few drops of super glue will make a lens nonadjustable. Not something I would do but it sure should work just get it right the first time.