New D5 General Discussion Thread

BrotherBeijingBrotherBeijing Posts: 2Member
edited January 2016 in D3/D4/D5
Why is that? $6500 and it cuts off?
Post edited by spraynpray on

Comments

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    yea... but if you're using this type of machine for video, you're prob recording to externals(without a time limit)
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    The weather sealing does not let it cool fast enough apparently. I think that Nikon has calculated that most photographers are after still camera with decent video, not a video camera. Apparently, if you record to externals as Starralazn pointed out, this issue is solved.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    If you are even moderately interested in video, the compressed H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is useless. You will want the uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 out to an external recorder.
  • BrotherBeijingBrotherBeijing Posts: 2Member
    So for $6500 you get a camera with a thermal design that overheats when using 4K/UHD-XQD, with video quality cut back?
    Idk what you're getting at. It's a camera, not a video camera. A camera with excellent stills shooting ergonomics, and the added capability to take some minor film footage.
    Yeah, Nikon is not going to compromise it's primary mission (stills) to meet a secondary mission (video).
    And if you are really into video, you are not going to be happy with the lenses, most of which have significant focus breathing.
  • GenghisHotepGenghisHotep Posts: 15Member
    I posted this question on another section but nobody commented on it. Has anyone noticed that the D5 is about a HALF A POUND heavier than a D4? D4 = 1,180g; D5 (XQD-Type): 1405g. D5 (CF-Type): 1415g (235g =0.51 lb) I was really expecting a slightly smaller body and definitely lighter weight. I'm genuinely surprised. Is this extra half pound due to radio system for new SB 5000 speedlight? Something else?
    i read this and another conflicting point that its only 50g more. the d4s at 1180 is without battery? maybe 1356 with?
    Yeah, batteries in or out, would account for some of this discrepancy but not all. Also, the D5 is about a half a millimeter bigger in size. I assume there's something in there that's not in my D4, something heavy. Half a pound is a significant difference if you have to lug it around your neck all day.
    the difference is 50g (with batteries)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2016
    @starralazn You are correct. Minus the fact that the older weights were with one card and the D5 weights are quoted with two cards.

From http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/

D4: Approx. 1,340 g/2 lb 15.3 oz with battery and XQD memory card but without body cap and accessory shoe cover; approx. 1,180 g/2 lb 9.6 oz (camera body only)

D4s :Approx. 1350 g/ 2 lb 15.6 oz with battery and XQD memory card but without body cap and accessory shoe cover; approx. 1180 g/ 2 lb 9.6 oz (camera body only)

D5:
    XQD-Type (Models for use with XQD cards): Approx. 1405 g/3 lb 1.6 oz with battery and two XQD memory cards but without body cap and accessory shoe cover; approx. 1235 g/2 lb 11.6 oz (camera body only)
    CF-Type (Models for use with CompactFlash cards): Approx. 1415 g/3 lb 1.9 oz with battery and two CompactFlash memory cards but without body cap and accessory shoe cover; approx. 1240 g/2 lb 11.8 oz (camera body only)
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Yeah, batteries in or out, would account for some of this discrepancy but not all. Also, the D5 is about a half a millimeter bigger in size. I assume there's something in there that's not in my D4, something heavy. Half a pound is a significant difference if you have to lug it around your neck all day.
    If I had to guess why: there is a separate processor now for the AF & metering modules, and the shutter also carries its own motor. This is also probably why the D500 appears heavier than one would expect given the carbon-fiber hybrid body.
    You are using your neck? I use my shoulder.
    Shoulder has the D810.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Well, it seems the new Canon 1dxii will have a truncated 4k video capability also (based on a rumor over at Canon Rumors). The Canon fans seem to have forgotten their snide comments about the D5 announcement. Funny how things turn out.
    yea, but, you know, they'll just brag about the C300 which costs 9000 IIRC
    To think we have 2 more months to wait before the Beast begins shipping. No idea where I stand in the queue but I'm hoping it's in the initial group.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    So just a firmware update is all it took to increase the 4K to 30 mins? Interesting to know why that wasn't standard...
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited February 2016
    Canon's answer to the D5 has been released. Thoughts?
    canonrumors.com/announcing-the-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii/
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,673Member
    Judging by the native ISO rating it appears that Nikon's sensor will be much better.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited February 2016
    "4K/60p and Full HD/120p video can also be recorded with virtually no restriction, and with exFAT format support, movie files of larger than 4GB can be recorded without the need to merge files."

Ouch?

Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    "4K/60p and Full HD/120p video can also be recorded with virtually no restriction, and with exFAT format support, movie files of larger than 4GB can be recorded without the need to merge files."

Ouch?

I agree, Ouch! It's hard to believe the company that first introduced video to DSLRs is so far behind the competition. I say this with the understanding that the D5 is aimed at the professional market but lets face it, who would turn down leather interior in your new car if it was the same price without.
    Now, do we have an answer yet on the three minute 4K time limit? Will the clips be seamless when placed end to end in post production?