New D5 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Now, do we have an answer yet on the three minute 4K time limit? Will the clips be seamless when placed end to end in post production?
    Yes, it was posted on the blog last week that there is a firmware update that has increased it to 30 mins.
    Always learning.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 906Member
    Canon's answer to the D5 has been released. Thoughts?
    canonrumors.com/announcing-the-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii/
    Like Nikon, they have to prove it to me. What got my attention was the ability to just shoot video and grab the 8+ MP frames for prints. That does give me pause for thought. The 1D MII gave tens of thousand of hard copy prints at 8+ MP at only 8.5 frames a second. What I have to consider is for both Nikon and Canon is that both are bigger and faster than my "body" know. Then again I can print and have a designated shooter. Maybe...

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Like Nikon, they have to prove it to me. What got my attention was the ability to just shoot video and grab the 8+ MP frames for prints. That does give me pause for thought. The 1D MII gave tens of thousand of hard copy prints at 8+ MP at only 8.5 frames a second. What I have to consider is for both Nikon and Canon is that both are bigger and faster than my "body" know. Then again I can print and have a designated shooter. Maybe...
    Are you referring to the D5 or 1DX with the 8MP video frames? If the latter, I'm pretty sure the D5 can pull frames out of the video as well. It was in one of the spec sheets.

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Are you referring to the D5 or 1DX with the 8MP video frames? If the latter, I'm pretty sure the D5 can pull frames out of the video as well. It was in one of the spec sheets.
    Pretty sure the D5 will have stills from video as even the D4S had that ability (nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/article/gx2q3tr8/what-to-do-when-you-need-stills-while-shooting-hd-video.html). But the question is at what resolution? 2MP like the D4S or something better, and can it pull stills from 4K video? I would be curious to know if the D500 can do the same as well.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited February 2016
    Pretty sure the D5 will have stills from video as even the D4S had that ability (nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/article/gx2q3tr8/what-to-do-when-you-need-stills-while-shooting-hd-video.html). But the question is at what resolution? 2MP like the D4S or something better, and can it pull stills from 4K video? I would be curious to know if the D500 can do the same as well.
    "Individual frames can be taken from 4K UHD movies and stored as 8-MP still images ('Save selected frame')"

Page 3 of that 'confidential' internal document:
    http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/08/nikon-d5-specifications-and-features-explained-confidential-nikon-internal-document.aspx/#more-101169

Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 906Member

Yes it is the 1DXMII. I'm aware that the D5 does it also. Not sure what the size is of the frame grabbed is though. It may even be larger or smaller. Truthfully I've never used the video function of any of my three Nikon bodies but if I could get an 8+MP still out I might. I need to dig into the manual on the D810 and see if it does. I don't remember any mention of it. Just the D5. A frame grabbed from the D5 might be cleaner than a single shot in standard still image mode. That too would be interesting to know. Thanks for the thoughts BVS.

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    The D5 has frame grab with an 8 MP file size in 4K UHD mode.
  • Clive192Clive192 Posts: 2Member
    BVS said:

Yes the D5 can do this. I went to the London NPS launch on Friday and this specific question was asked and they demonstrated its capability - it was very impressive but not sure what the pixel count of the "grabbed" shot was but it looked good on the large monitor being used

Regards

Clive
  • JerryBurnellJerryBurnell Posts: 6Member
    My extreamly creditable source emailed me a few days ago and said their most recent word from Nikon was that they would start receiving D5s on the first of March and would start filling orders immediately.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    For sure, this is worth looking at, even if only for the funny antics...

Msmoto, mod
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    The difference between video and full-speed, full-frame, still-shots is beginning to blur.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • Big_MillsyBig_Millsy Posts: 4Member
    I have had my D5 since Good Friday, initial thoughts. The leap from the D3s to the D4s seems bigger than from D4s to D5. Having said that I haven't used it in anger. I normally do stage photography so hoping that the low light performance really is a step up.
    Feels nice in the hand but so do the other proNikon's. Some of the repositioning of controls will need to be 'learned' but by the time it's customised that won't matter. There is no firmware upgrade so far for 4K. Personally it doesn't matter, on the occasions when I have used a dslr for video I have always used an Atomos and bought a 4K Shogun in anticipation of the D5. The new focus modes look to be useful and the 12 FPS is amazing. Tried a number of shots of fast moving cars and everyone was sharp. About to head of on holiday (vacation) to the USA and will put it through its paces.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member

Personally it doesn't matter, on the occasions when I have used a dslr for video I have always used an Atomos and bought a 4K Shogun in anticipation of the D5.

Thats what i thought. if you're shooting video, its going to externals.

Comment on the touchscreen. While I think they could add more functions, so far it's been a nice addition. One thing nobody has mentioned is the ability to double tap the screen to zoom 100% and tapping again to zoom out full screen. Really handy when chomping and yes I do that. Hopefully Nikon will add more features in future models. So far I'm really happy with the camera contrary to the many scathing review that's out there. I think as time goes on the camera will prove itself to the community. Even Thom Hogan had a few good things to say so far. I'm not expecting the D5 to top the list in the general category on DXO but I'm sure it will hold it's own in sports, low light.
  • RockyTopRockyTop Posts: 1Member
    Nikon D5 and NIKKOR 70-200 compatibility issue
    I have been shooting Nikon professionally for 35 years. I bought the D5 immediately only to find that the 70-200mm f/2.8 ED VR II doesn’t work on it. The lens works on every camera I am shooting now: D3, D4, 800, 800E and the 810A. I have never had a problem with the lens. I sent it to Nikon and they said I would have to pay $400 because the lens was out of warranty… it’s 5 1/2 old. She told me that Nikon Tech said is it was "misaligned"! I have never had a “misaligned” lens in 35 years. Nor have I had any problems with Nikon equipment that I didn’t create.
    It turns out service is not in charge of customer relations and cannot, according to the supervisor, authorize free repair, even when it is clearly a Nikon problem. This is a classic “head in the sand” stance. I finally gave up and sent it back today.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    RockyTop said:

Nikon D5 and NIKKOR 70-200 compatibility issue
    I have been shooting Nikon professionally for 35 years. I bought the D5 immediately only to find that the 70-200mm f/2.8 ED VR II doesn’t work on it. The lens works on every camera I am shooting now: D3, D4, 800, 800E and the 810A. I have never had a problem with the lens. I sent it to Nikon and they said I would have to pay $400 because the lens was out of warranty… it’s 5 1/2 old. She told me that Nikon Tech said is it was "misaligned"! I have never had a “misaligned” lens in 35 years. Nor have I had any problems with Nikon equipment that I didn’t create.
    It turns out service is not in charge of customer relations and cannot, according to the supervisor, authorize free repair, even when it is clearly a Nikon problem. This is a classic “head in the sand” stance. I finally gave up and sent it back today.

When you say does not work on it, what do you mean? Does not focus? Camera throws an Err and does not allow you to take a picture? Can you shoot in manual mode?
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    edited May 2016
    Now tested by DXOMark.
    It gets a rather poor score, but we all know that this score is a result of different measurements. Here's my understanding of them:
    Colors: D5 performs very well, up there with the best, and better than D4S.
    Dynamic range: Somewhat poor at low ISO - we knew that by now, didn't we?
    High ISO ("sports"): Surprisingly poor, according to DXOMark. The reason is that they get this result NOT as an average of other results, but as a "worst of three". And it turns out, the D5 is a winner at high ISO dynamic range and a winner at high ISO colors. But its signal to noise ratio is WORSE than before, which ends up as the determining factor.
    Post edited by Sports on
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • FatcharlieFatcharlie Posts: 9Member
    That DXO verdict is a bit of a bummer!

Anyone know if a D4 battery EN-EL18 can be used with the D5? will the battery physically fit and make appropriate electronic contact and be able to close the BL-6 battery cover?

I suspect Nikon Support will not give correct answer in the interest of sales.

Thanks
    Charlie

That DXO verdict is a bit of a bummer!

Anyone know if a D4 battery EN-EL18 can be used with the D5? will the battery physically fit and make appropriate electronic contact and be able to close the BL-6 battery cover?

I suspect Nikon Support will not give correct answer in the interest of sales.

Thanks
    Charlie

I'm using my D4 batteries with my D5 so, yes sir, they work.

I don't have a problem with DXOs testing. They don't test what I shoot and I like so many things about the camera none of the reviews can sway me. If we believe the D500 is the cat's meow then you have to give the D5 it's due. I own both and so far as much as I like the D500 the only thing that makes it great (comparing the two) is the fact its crop sensor (x 1.5 factor) and smaller. The D5 is considerably better at everything else as it should be (Flagship). This is of course my opinion based on my shooting.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited May 2016
    :-) the D5 sensor is the closest to the Canon sensors.. and it shows it in the DXO scores LOL!

Well to me it just means that the the Canon Sensors may not be that bad !!

... nah.. they are bad I have seen the samples ;-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    edited May 2016
    Anyone sensible of course has never just gone by the DxO headline scores, especially when it comes to bodies aimed at high ISO use.

Only marking via base DR doesn't take into account that it and not basic signal noise is very often a bigger issue at higher ISO. How many sports shooters need 14 stops of DR at ISO 100? I'm guessing a lot more would happly give that away for a stop better DR at higher ISO's where its going to show without extensive(or perhaps any) lifting of shadows.

Added to that of course Nikon make several other cameras with excellent base ISO DR so if someone desires that they can have a second body.
    Post edited by moreorless on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    In my opinion:

The D5 has to be evaluated according to the needs of the niche into which it fits. You have to evaluate it according to its intended use and not according to the needs of a different use. It is not intended to be a high megapixel landscape or studio camera.

1. The "big advancement" the D5 will become known for is its great leap forward autofocus; not a great "leap forward" sensor (we may see that in the D810 replacement perhaps out later this year).
    2. Even if the D5 sensor had zero IQ improvement over the D4 sensor it would still be a significant improvement because it gives you 4 more pixels.
    3. It also gives you better high ISO IQ which is where it will be shot most often.
    4. It also gives you more fps which may be highly valued by the very people who work in that niche.

So it doesn't really matter much what DxOMark says. What the photographers who shoot professional sports say matters most. Do they find the D5 gives them a higher percentage of keepers because of its better AF, high ISO image quality, and fps? Do they find an increased ability to crop because of more megapixels a valuable advantage? If so, you will see them all converting to D5 bodies. They are not going to reject a D5 body because the DxOMark overall score is one point lower than the D4 overall score just as they didn't all convert to D810 bodies because its DxOMark overall score is eight points higher than the D4 overall score! If the overall score is so important why aren't all the sports shooters using a D600 with it's score of 94 instead of a D4s with its score of 89? The answer is obvious.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    So, what is the conclusion of the D5 sensor? In what ways is it the best?