New D5 General Discussion Thread

124»

Comments

• HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    WestEnd, I do have f/1.4 lenses, but these are not nearly long enough to capture a short girl at the opposite end of the gym which could be as far as 80-100 feet away. I also can't set up flashes during a competition.

When I shoot my shutter speed can go as low as 1/160s for beam, which is the most stationary event (if you call back layouts with a full twist stationary). But to stop motion with available light on any other event, it's usually 1/1000 sec and everything is dark and I have difficulty bringing out details in post.

At some point, I should try shooting in a gym when the gymnasts are just practicing. That way I can use flash and try out what you did. Did you take your shot in the middle of a competition? Regardless, it's brilliant.
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    That is a tough one. You almost want a 400mm at that distance. My shot was during a practice and it was actually an instructor. Flash will not be powerful enough to make the background go dark, but you should be able to freeze motion using high speed synch if you have to.

Sports is the most demanding shooting gear wise. No matter what you have, you can always improve it and get better results. Even when using flash, a $10,000 setup was found wanting when a $20,000 setup was available.

Have you figured out whether you are buying a D5 or D850?
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    WestEnd, sorry for not responding, I've had a run of 60 hour work weeks at my desk job lately and it's given me no time to read or post. I have not decided which one to get. I am leaning towards the D850, it's just so darned good for the price. The D5 may actually suit what I do better, but I am no pro, so the price is very difficult to justify. Now I just have to convince the wife!
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    No worries. I look forward to learning your decision.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Hockeyman: It depends on your style (D850/D5). The D5 is a 'run and gun' 'get the job done well under any circs' kind of camera whereas the D850 requires more precision to get sharp shots. They are different cameras by far.

That is in my so far (limited) experience.
    Always learning.