D7xxx(D7200) vs D500

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Overkill = just right
    My car has 600hp, do I need it? Not usually. Do I want it? Hell yeah.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The fact is the D500 has some real issues....
    .lthe capture card and other defects threatens the ability of this camera to be safe with unique events. The D7200 has none of these issues!
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    @DaveyJ. Huh? My Sony XQD works just fine, not sure what you are talking about?
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    no problems with mine.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I've had zero problems. Sounds like you have a unique situation. Sorry to hear that.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I've used only Sony XQD card and had no problems.
    pictureted at flickr
    Returned out to be simply a low battery problem! The D500 is a GREAT camera!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'll tell the lynch-mob to put out their torches then shall I Davey? :wink:
    Always learning.
    I don't think lynch mobs were ever the case for the D500! As with any other new camera there are new user learning curve issues. My grandson, Christjen,and myself have had very few start up things to adjust to. Battery maintenance is the primary requirement that takes a little getting used to. Also this was caused by our hosting of a major off road motorcycle race. Next year we will host one of six AMA National Races. The D500 played a major role in documenting that event this year and will next year. Quite a few other types of cameras involved though......

• Terry7732Terry7732 Posts: 14Member
    I am currently using a D7200 and I am thinking of upgrading to a D500, chiefly for its speed and focusing capabilities. My interests are mainly wildlife and sport with occasional forays into family portraits and landscapes. A feature I particularly like on the D7200 is the U1 and U2 facility whereby I can instantly recall personal settings at one flick of a switch. I have never used a Nikon with the four button layout at the left hand end of the top plate, and my question is can anyone tell me if it just as quick and easy to recall personal settings using the four button layout on the D500.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    edited January 2017
    No it is not. The lack of a U1 and U2 or C1 and C2 setting on all the "professional body" Nikons is one of the constant complaints expressed about the layout of those bodies. Nikon should abandon "banks" and offer instead a U1, U2, and U3.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    I'm surprised the pro bodies don't have an 'electronic' U1/U2/U3 where you just set up as many custom setups as you want in memory and have a button or button+dial that lets you cycle through them.

Or, is that how the banks work? I admit I haven't used a pro body before.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    The Pv, Fn1, Center of the multi-selector, and the movie record buttons can all be programmed to select one of four "photo shooting menu banks" in conjunction with a command dial. From p105 in the D500 Menu Guide

In practice, this works pretty well. The thing folks get wrapped around the axle on, is that unlike U1, U2, which are locked to a specific set of settings, unless you explicitly change them, the "menu banks" are sticky to your last settings, and if you change something while that bank is in effect, it will become the new setting for that bank forevermore.

Again, once you get used to it, easy-peasy. It's like having four camera "personalities". You can even rename them to catchy names like "sport" "bird-in-flight" "motocross".
  • PeachBlackPeachBlack Posts: 141Member
    I disagree Ironheart, it's not easy. I never remember that I adjusted the setting to the menu banks. They so easily get messed up that I just don't bother to use them anymore because I don't trust that changes haven't been made. I would love to be able to have a setting that I could easily switch to and absolutely know what I'm getting.
    edited January 2017
    Agreed PitchBlack. Nikon is foolish not to put at least 3 U settings in their pro-bodies. Just put them to the left of the S exposure dial so you can move Right for C low and C high and move left for U1, U2, U3, and U4. Or add three position switch somewhere, perhaps to the left of the AF-on button. Why is that so hard to do? People have been asking for it for a long, long time.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Agree with PeachBlack. I created "personalities" for my D800 and D810 when I got them. But then I'll tweak one thing and forget that I did it the next time I pick up the camera. It would be great if the in-flight tweaks you made would be undone when you shut the camera off so your personality would be fully restored the next time you used it.
    edited January 2017
    I guess it's like leaving your desk in a specific way, and coming back and having it be exactly the way you left it. You can reset a bank to default easily, but I agree the functionality is exactly the opposite of the U1,U2 functionality. Since 99% of the settings are visible when you press the "i" button (or info) and the most important settings are visible on the top LCD, it seems quick and easy to change a particular setting to what you want, and then it will stay that way. I get why some folks like the U1,U2 functionality, for me, I just use what I have. It's like driving different cars, and knowing where the headlight switch is...
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • PeachBlackPeachBlack Posts: 141Member
    edited January 2017
    Could imagine if you have a preset in Lightroom or Photoshop and every time you tweaked it, it updated the preset? After a while, you wouldn't even remember what the preset was. No, I think the system that Nikon uses is suboptimal and I'd rather not use it. It has screwed me up on more than one occasion.
    Post edited by PeachBlack on
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    I rented the D500 for a weekend and decided not to go back to DX. When I have to autofocus in the dark I put the Yongnuo YN-622N-TX ($ 40.-) on top and even my D600 is quick :). For BIF every camera is quick enough, because the slowest factor is always me, never the camera.

The D500 is great, but I came home with too many sharp photo's and spent too much time to select what I wanted (and I have a good process in place), not my type of photography.

I wait for a new D-whatever full frame Nikon with all the new possibilities. So it is just what you want and need for your type of photography. My 2 cents.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Interesting to see a D500 weakness is that "I came home with too many sharp photos and spent too much time to select what I wanted." Sounds like a killer AF system to me!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Agreed PitchBlack. Nikon is foolish not to put at least 3 U settings in their pro-bodies. Just put them to the left of the S exposure dial so you can move Right for C low and C high and move left for U1, U2, U3, and U4. Or add three position switch somewhere, perhaps to the left of the AF-on button. Why is that so hard to do? People have been asking for it for a long, long time.

Wow what a slip...oh how I wish it was PitchBlack not PeachBlack.
    +1 on your point about those options for Pro bodies.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Interesting to see a D500 weakness is that "I came home with too many sharp photos and spent too much time to select what I wanted." Sounds like a killer AF system to me!

+1 Amen. That is a nice problem too have.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    I've seen it suggested before to simply add a 'lock' option to the bank's so you can have them work either way. This seems like it would be the simplest solution I think.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2017
    @Terry7732 Re pro body vs u1 u2 ... I found the pro bodies extremely convenient .. I liked the U1 and U2 but I always forget what U1 U2 was for .. so although I use it .. having 3 cameras with U1 U2 you tend to forget which U are you.. (See what I did there heh .. sigh ..) so I have stopped using the Uees.. after using the Pro body I found it painfully hard to go back to the non pro.. it took me years to get back to being comfortable.. others seem to switch easily so YMMV...

"I came home with too many sharp photos and spent too much time to select what I wanted." LOL !!

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes Donald, the D500 has a "killer AF". Hold the button and you end up with 2000 (RAW) photo's to pick 5-10 :) , my problem is, I don't have an editor.

Here two small examples.

D500 AF test 01: https://adobe.ly/2jgxRWB

D500 AF test 02: https://adobe.ly/2jgCccG
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore