D7xxx(D7200) vs D500

Comments

• BVS said:

I've seen it suggested before to simply add a 'lock' option to the bank's so you can have them work either way. This seems like it would be the simplest solution I think.

Actually this option already sort of exists, at least with the D810: You can use the "Save Settings" functionality to capture your 4 sets of custom settings using Banks A->D and save them to your media (mine save to my CF Slot) and then "reset" to them at any time after you make a modification on the fly using the "Load Setting" function (I added the "Save / Load " function to MyMenu to make it quick and easy).

It doesn't take much time at all to save the file to each card in your bag and then you are set. If you find yourself making the same "tweek" to your settings when shooting; just do another Save and copy the file over to your other cards the next time you download images.

Although it's not as simple as the U1 & U2 route appears to be, it's not so laborious as it sounds and to me it seems like having a U3 & U4!

DISCLAIMER: I've not owed a Nikon that had the U1&U2 functions, but I've read more than a bit of discussion that make them sound like the closest thing to Nirvana in Nikon-land! :o

NOTE: I'll just be cringing over here in a corner waiting for the scorn that is about to be unleashed upon me! ;)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    The so called pro controls are total rubbish I don't even bother to use them and just stick with A mode at F8 and auto iso as well as P for discos.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Fine Pistnbroke, but just so readers who are not familiar with your know, you are shooting a particular event; a wedding. For other types of photography other modes serve a purpose. In my opinion it really doesn't matter much which set of controls (pro or advanced armature) you have as long as you use them so frequently that you always know how to quickly use a button or dial to do what you want to do without going through the menus. My feeling is the the menu structure is good for setting up the camera with your preferences but after that it is best if you can make changes with one step through dials or buttons. While a camera like a D3xxx series or D5xxx series has A and P modes they both lack the ability to make direct changes though buttons and dials. Thus, the D7xxx series, the D6xx, D7xx, D8xx or Dx series are better for me.
  • PeachBlackPeachBlack Posts: 141Member
    @donaldejose - you're exactly right. I have three different settings that I use a lot: indoor studio flash, outdoor TTL flash, outdoor natural light. As you might imagine, the settings for each of these is very different and I don't trust the menu preset system. I force myself to manually change everything to ensure that I don't make a mistake, and that's annoying.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    "I force myself to manually change everything to ensure that I don't make a mistake, and that's annoying."

I guess :-) but I would think you kind of put yourself in auto mode like driving a manual car and you just mindlessly get to your destination. I never remember that I "check the mirrors (back, left right), check the gear, press the clutch, start the car, check the mirrors again, check the gear again, put the gear in, release the clutch slowly, check the steering wheel, etc etc etc etc etc ......"

Its just nice that the pro camera layout reduces the number of steps and you can use muscle memory to do some of the stuff. for me anyway..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PeachBlackPeachBlack Posts: 141Member
    I guess you're just better than I am at this stuff, Hearty
    edited January 2017

I guess you're just better than I am at this stuff, Hearty

I guess.. I may be ;-) .. I use the P mode most often :-) I sometimes think I could give photography lessons .. but it would be short .. "just use P mode" done ! ;-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Like PeachBlack I have three different preset settings that I use on my D750; but they are all different than his. U1 is for "portrait," U2 is for "landscape." Otherwise, the camera is in what I call "Standard." Most of the time I can shoot in "Standard" which is why it is my body default and not one of the U settings. Only once in a while do I have to move to portrait or landscape. On my D500 and D800 I have to change every single setting if I switch out of "Standard." In my opinion it is annoying, unnecessary, and irresponsible of Nikon to not include U1 and U2 settings on "pro" bodies: as if pros don't ever want to move quickly between settings when shooting more than one thing or have specialized user settings returned to default then the camera is turned off. Memory Banks aren't an adequate substitute for two reasons: 1. because you have to go into the menu system to change them and 2. they do not go back to your set default if you change them while you are in them. I see no good reason why Nikon cannot simply add a U1 and U2 to the release mode dial or to the mode button. In fact, I think Nikon should add a U1, U2, U3, and U4 to their "pro" bodies. I did set up my memory banks for different types of shooting but gave up on using them because I had to go through the menu system and even then I could never be certain they still were as they originally had been set up. Unfortunately, I always fail to take the time to return all settings to their original place whenever I stop using the camera. I know I should do so but I just am not good at "cleaning up" after myself. It seems like such a waste of time before I put the camera away. It doesn't seem like a waste of time to do it before a shoot because it is preparation but it is still annoying, unnecessary and irresponsible that we have to go through it at all. Why Nikon? What is your reason for not including U1, U2, U3, and U4 in the "pro" bodies? Anyone know?
    edited January 2017
    "What is your reason for not including U1, U2, U3, and U4 in the "pro" bodies? Anyone know?"

I dunno but if i have to guess it would be because the pro bodies make it much easier to make the changes. And because of that you kind of have U1-100 already. so you dont need U1,U2 (and you have the memory banks anyway [which you can save to disk and move between cameras] ) Just like scene modes you really dont need them at all yet we have them on the D750-d7000.. you dont need the U1,U2.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited January 2017
    I own both the D500 and the D7200, for that matter a number of other Nikon DSLR. I use the D7200 most of the time. The D500 is now in an Ikelite underwater housing most of the time. My son prefers to use the D500, I chose the D7200. I like the onboard flash. They both are tough cameras. I actually use my D7200 on A most all of the time and on f8-11 almost constantly. Every Nikon offering lately points to a detuned D7300 which is absolute rubbish by my reckoning. A more expensive introduction, with SnapBridge as the "improvement". Which is NOT an improvement. Then add to that insult...
    higher price!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    DaveyJ said:

I own both the D500 and the D7200, for that matter a number of other Nikon DSLR. I use the D7200 most of the time. The D500 is now in an Ikelite underwater housing most of the time. My son prefers to use the D500, I chose the D7200. I like the onboard flash. They both are tough cameras. I actually use my D7200 on A most all of the time and on f8-11 almost constantly. Every Nikon offering lately points to a detuned D7300 which is absolute rubbish by my reckoning. A more expensive introduction, with SnapBridge as the "improvement". Which is NOT an improvement. Then add to that insult...
    higher price!

+1 DaveyJ....amen.

"What is your reason for not including U1, U2, U3, and U4 in the "pro" bodies? Anyone know?"

I dunno but if i have to guess it would be because the pro bodies make it much easier to make the changes. And because of that you kind of have U1-100 already. so you dont need U1,U2 (and you have the memory banks anyway [which you can save to disk and move between cameras] ) Just like scene modes you really dont need them at all yet we have them on the D750-d7000.. you dont need the U1,U2.

Never did understand why Nikon felt that Scene mode was necessary on the D750.

I do use the U1 & U2 on both the D7100 and D750. That gives me three ways to set the camera and it works for me for almost all my shooting. Some day Nikon will wake up and incorporate this feature into the pro bodies.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    I just set up my D7200. I also watched a video from Backcountry Photography aka Steve Perry. Some really interesting things to set up the 7200 with. So far (after the debacle of getting it from B & H, this is a wonderful camera. I've only shot 7 pics so far but it's WAY better than the D3300.
    edited May 2017
    I checked out Steve Perry's BackCountry Gallery, interesting comparison on full frame cameras versus crop cameras. D500 and D7200 have a lot of advantages. I'd be interested in how you end up solving longer lens needs, I use the 16-80 DX for a lot, the 70-300 variable aperature ten year old 70-300, but above say 250mm the need for a longer sharper lens comes quite apparent. Right now I am wrestling between Nikon 200-500 5.6 versus Tamron 150-600 6.3 which usually gets rated as even or the Tamron G2, as one it has a 600 end which often gets 85 percent of use. Problem is the great guys on Nikon Rumors have one, but not both. Those who own both tend to lean very heavy toward the Tamron G2. Teleconverters have nor worked for me and I do avoid them, once burned, twice shy.

All this said, owning both the D500 and D7200 way I no would rate one image over the other, but when it comes to video, the D500 is plain better, it is also blazingly fast. In other words, this thread I see comparing two great cameras! Both have their wonderful strengths and virtually no weakness. Hiker has a great camera. And yes it is way better than the entire D3000 series or D5000 series. Your D3300 is the best of all the D3000'series, for certain.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    Thanks DaveyJ. My 70-300 is lacking above 250mm also and I'm conscience of that fact when I'm shooting with it and it's frustrating. The Nikon 200-500 is on the radar. As is the new Sigma 100-400. Planning a trip to Patagonia to photograph Pumas. And my friends all shoot Canon! :).
    edited June 2017
    I was working on a PhD on Mountain Lions. I've photographed them from 1957 to about 1970 when I got drafted by theUSArmy. I certainly have some pretty impressive photos. I've shot Canons, also large and medium format, and for stuff like that I'd take a D7200 or a D500. I no longer am working around them so longer lens would help me. Best rated from what I know is the Tamron 150-600. However it does really depend on your access,you need to be around the cats to get them photos. Unfortunately lion dogs are frequently used and the animals are treed, and maybe even shot. The Nikon 200-500 is Nikon's best offering for that. Pricewise and weightwise. I'd rather have a 70-300 Nikkor variable lens 5.6 and be in the right place at the right time. For instance I am going to Yellowstone NP in September for a couple of weeks and do not expect to see a single cat.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Looking for more comments on D7200 - D500 comment in this thread. Hint!
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Cameras without what lens to use with them is rather meaningless. When Hiker got a D7200 and finds out that week the D7500 is already available, it sets up,a what if scenario. In no way would I go out and buy a D7200 or a D500 and not wonder what lens to use with it. and at NO point is a D7200 versus D500 more valid than what lens, and what subject. Some of us do not use private messaging, etc., therefore must rely on some details which may be not glaringly apparent what the relavance to a given thread. One aspect of DSLR performance and what camera to get is necessarily driven by "side issues" that are really almost required deliberation, either that or just pay your money and takes your chances.
    DaveyJ said:

Cameras without what lens to use with them is rather meaningless. When Hiker got a D7200 and finds out that week the D7500 is already available, it sets up,a what if scenario. In no way would I go out and buy a D7200 or a D500 and not wonder what lens to use with it. and at NO point is a D7200 versus D500 more valid than what lens, and what subject. Some of us do not use private messaging, etc., therefore must rely on some details which may be not glaringly apparent what the relavance to a given thread. One aspect of DSLR performance and what camera to get is necessarily driven by "side issues" that are really almost required deliberation, either that or just pay your money and takes your chances.

I drove myself and my better half nuts!! I committed to a D7200 because, Nikon, in all their, well, strange behavior, didn't know the D7500 release date not even 12 hours the next day. I just might have waited. No worries on my part! I saved some money, still bought an awesome camera and now I'm driving myself nuts looking for a better zoom lens. I've been setting up the camera and reading Darrell Young's book on the D7200 when time permits. Oh, and Darrell Young has the camera in hand and posted photos taken with the D7500.

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    edited June 2017
    @Hiker What sort of zoom range are you looking for? I'm sure the members here will have plenty of recommendations.
    Post edited by BVS on
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    BVS said:

@Hiker What sort of zoom range are you looking for? I'm sure the members here will have plenty of recommendations.

That question is what is driving me nuts now!! I am planning on going to Patagonia in 2019 to shoot the South American Puma. I go back and forth between buying a Tamron 150-600 or a Nikon 300mm f4 (wish the 3rd party folks would come out with an alternative). I can always rent a long lens if needed. Why the big difference? The Nikon (new version) is smaller and lighter to carry around when I'm hiking, but the price is out of reach right now. The Tamron? The question is would I use it all the time. The only wildlife approachable here in AZ is waterfowl, etc. Pronghorn are skittish. Hawks the same. The Nikkor 70-300 is nice but like whats been said is not great above 250mm. My photography friends are telling me to get a 70-200mm f2.8 as my next lens. On a crop of course it's 105-300mm f5.6. So I'm also looking at a Sigma 50-100mm f1.8, which brings me close to the 70-200 range. Not ready to buy anything just yet. Saving up for the right lens that I know I will get the most use out of.

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 736Member
    @Hiker I have the 70-300 and as I mentioned earlier, mine is a little soft on the long end. I'm watching the new Sigma 100-400. It's not as fast as I'd like, but if it's sharp all the way out, I'm in for it. So far, the preliminary reviews on B&H look promising.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Hiker said:

BVS said:

That question is what is driving me nuts now!! I am planning on going to Patagonia in 2019 to shoot the South American Puma. I go back and forth between buying a Tamron 150-600 or a Nikon 300mm f4 (wish the 3rd party folks would come out with an alternative). I can always rent a long lens if needed. Why the big difference? The Nikon (new version) is smaller and lighter to carry around when I'm hiking, but the price is out of reach right now. The Tamron? The question is would I use it all the time. The only wildlife approachable here in AZ is waterfowl, etc. Pronghorn are skittish. Hawks the same. The Nikkor 70-300 is nice but like whats been said is not great above 250mm. My photography friends are telling me to get a 70-200mm f2.8 as my next lens. On a crop of course it's 105-300mm f5.6. So I'm also looking at a Sigma 50-100mm f1.8, which brings me close to the 70-200 range. Not ready to buy anything just yet. Saving up for the right lens that I know I will get the most use out of.
    If you're trip isn't until 2019, you've got plenty of time to save up and see what else is released.

The 70-200 f2.8 would be f4 DOF on crop not f5.6 I believe. Crop vs. FF is about a 1 stop difference.

The Nikon 70-200 f4 is also a good lens. Smaller, lighter, and less expensive than the 2.8, but still sharp and fast AF, although you lose a stop of light.

Nikon is rumored to release an update to the 70-300 this year, so I'd wait and see how it performs at 300mm. If it's anything like the new DX 70-300 it should perform pretty well.

The Sigma 50-100 doesn't have VR, so keep that in mind. They also made a 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO in the past (only available used now) that I've heard some good things about. May be worth researching. I question whether either of these lenses will be long enough for wildlife, although I admit I don't know much about shooting Pumas. :smile:

The Nikon 300 f4 is a nice lens, and you can put a 1.4TC on it to get 420mm f5.6 (630mm crop). However, like you said, it's expensive and you're limited to a single focal length.

Sigma also has the new 100-400, but it sounds like the AF is slow, and personally I wouldn't want to be stuck on f6+ so much of the time.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    BVS said:

If you're trip isn't until 2019, you've got plenty of time to save up and see what else is released.

The 70-200 f2.8 would be f4 DOF on crop not f5.6 I believe. Crop vs. FF is about a 1 stop difference.

The Nikon 70-200 f4 is also a good lens. Smaller, lighter, and less expensive than the 2.8, but still sharp and fast AF, although you lose a stop of light.

Nikon is rumored to release an update to the 70-300 this year, so I'd wait and see how it performs at 300mm. If it's anything like the new DX 70-300 it should perform pretty well.

The Sigma 50-100 doesn't have VR, so keep that in mind. They also made a 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO in the past (only available used now) that I've heard some good things about. May be worth researching. I question whether either of these lenses will be long enough for wildlife, although I admit I don't know much about shooting Pumas. :smile:

The Nikon 300 f4 is a nice lens, and you can put a 1.4TC on it to get 420mm f5.6 (630mm crop). However, like you said, it's expensive and you're limited to a single focal length.

Sigma also has the new 100-400, but it sounds like the AF is slow, and personally I wouldn't want to be stuck on f6+ so much of the time.

Mostly agree with this post, but I would counter that if you are HIKING WITH A LENS and do not have a Sherpa with you ;) then hands down I would choose the 300PF or go for the newly released 70-300 DX lens. The 300Pf is by far my favorite lens; lighter and smaller than the 70-200f4, and a fraction of the size and weight of the 200-500. I assume you will be shooting either the 7200 or the 500, both of which have built in crop mode. I use that to go from 450 equiv to 600 equiv as my "zoom". The rest I just crop in post, but it depends really what you are shooting. If I were going on your assignment I would probably use the 300PF attached to the D500 and carry the very light weight 35 1.8 DX and 50 1.8 FX for wider shots as needed. Contemplating a 100mm for dangerous wildlife is very brave of you, so hat's off to you sir. :open_mouth:
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes, agree with manhattanboy except the 20/1.8 on a crop with the 35/1.8 would be better than 35+50 imho.
    Always learning.