D7100

Comments

• GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    This ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile.....(USA Joke)
    Unfortunately, for me, I think I will wait and see what is going on....an interchangeable mirrorless APSC, or real D300s replacement.
    Have you considered the mirrorless APSC part seriously? Unless Nikon makes the mirrorless exactly as thick as a DX body, you will need a thick adapter for your existing glass or dedicated mirrorless lenses for the system, neither of which exist yet. With the adapter the system will be quite unwieldy & front-heavy, so I would rather have some dedicated mirrorless lenses. Which makes me look in the direction of Fuji for an answer, as they already have a nice APSC mirrorless system and some pretty good lenses. Samsung aint too bad either, they have some really nice, sharp, lightweight pancake lenses. And their system is more pocketable at the moment than Fuji´s.

• GabGab Posts: 63Member
    If I ever end up selling my d7000, it will be for a mirrorless system, that much is for sure. I don't think the 24mpx sensor is much of an improvement, if any. The focusing system sure is nice, but I alrdy solved the focusing problems of my d7000 with a focusing screen xD. About the removal of the low pass filter, that is all good imo, I wouldn't worry about moire on a 24mpx dx sensor, the majority of the ppl agree that it's a non issue on a d800E & the d800e has the same pixel density as a regular d7k...
  • GabGab Posts: 63Member
    Unfortunately, for me, I think I will wait and see what is going on....an interchangeable mirrorless APSC, or real D300s replacement.
    Have you considered the mirrorless APSC part seriously? Unless Nikon makes the mirrorless exactly as thick as a DX body, you will need a thick adapter for your existing glass or dedicated mirrorless lenses for the system, neither of which exist yet. With the adapter the system will be quite unwieldy & front-heavy, so I would rather have some dedicated mirrorless lenses. Which makes me look in the direction of Fuji for an answer, as they already have a nice APSC mirrorless system and some pretty good lenses. Samsung aint too bad either, they have some really nice, sharp, lightweight pancake lenses. And their system is more pocketable at the moment than Fuji´s.

Once the AF issues with current mirrorrless systems get sorted out I imagine in time even nikon will need to jump on that train. I mean a good mirrorless camera has PERFECT metering and focus ALL THE TIME, even the best DSLR focusing and metering systems get confused at times and are not a 100% accurate & probably never will be. Also with electronic shutter you can have as much as 100fps in time, as technology reaches that level of course. Imagine HDR exposures of moving subjects .. :-) (And I'm not even talking about seeing Live histogram & the actual photo before capture on the EVF)
    Nikon could actually keep sticking to their current flange distance too & use up the additional thickness for additional battery compartments, it wouldn't be an optimal solution, but it could work.
  • BrainBeatBrainBeat Posts: 54Member
    Based on the specs it does look like it will be my new camera as it does seems to cover most of my items in my with list. The only thing that I would have liked to see if possible would be a variangle screen similar to the 5x00's but that I guess may not have been easy to do while keeping the body weather sealed. The 24MP is mostly a huge overkill as at least 50% of my photos go strait to 7"x5" (which I only use M on my D5k to take) but It will be nice to have for printing large some special photo's if I even got around to doing it.

The crop mode is extremely interesting to me as I often am also taking a lot of stage stuff and could allow me to get a nice tighter framing of speakers on stage and only need to keep my 17-50mm f2.8 on and not have to use my 55-200 kit as much. I wonder if you can use the crop mode for even lower picture sizes and say have a crop medium or small as I could maybe use it (assuming it is fairly strait forward and quick) to jump from a wider image to a single portrait using the same focal length (35mm prime to 70mm for example). Aditionally being able to use my 55-200 at 400 in cropped mode and still take a larger image than my D5k will be very cool too if I ever need that much reach. If I need more I could always get a 300mm and have a 600 (900 equivalent I think?) which is huge.

The 51point AF sounds brilliant to me coming from my current 11 and should cause me to get less out of focus pics when the camera decided to focus on the background between a couple and not on the couple. This is not a huge issue most of the time as it only happens ever so often but it is frustrating when it does happen and I do not notice at the time it has happened to retake the shot. The coverage of this especially in crop mode is excellent too as there should always be a few point covering the subject.

I just hope that the sensor sensitivity is even better than what the D5200 seems to be and be able to offer very usable images at 3200 if not 6400iso. I am mostly limited at the moment to keeping under 1600 with my D5k as it starts getting fairly noisy after then so being able to take 3200 would be super for those low light situations where a flash is not an option. I wonder how the lack of AA filter might help this situation too I would hope it might allow slightly more light in.

Lastly while 6 or 7 fps is not extreme it is still a lot more than I have now and meets my wish list. It does however seem that the buffer is a bit too small to meet my 100 photos but I guess I could always take cropped or medium to get closer to this number if ever needed.

I look forward to reading positive reviews of the final product in the near future and not hear about problems so it might get me to buy this camera. I do also hope the local Australian prices are not insanely more expensive than the rest of the world this time.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member

Gallows humour for DX @msmoto? They stopped making Oldsmobiles five years ago, didn't they?
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited February 2013
    Hello D7100! There go's the neighborhood!
    I've had my new D7000 for one week. Go figure! %%-
    They could have made one more D7100 sale if they had leaked some darn images or info!
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • PaulohnPaulohn Posts: 33Member
    Hello D7100! There go's the neighborhood!
    I've had my new D7000 for one week. Go figure! %%-
    They could have made one more D7100 sale if they had leaked some darn images or info!
    But I believe the D7000 price drop was due to the plan to release the D7100. It is a good discount. Murphy was not so strong.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Cool its got a M43 2X crop mode ! :-)
    We'll keep holding out for the EX format!
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

I' curious if the AA filter is replaced during movie making. It would cause dreadful morie artifacts during capture if it weren't there or there wasn't a another method to account for anti-alaising.

Video accounts for a great deal of the income I receive in the paltry part of my retirement business, and if Nikon is telling Jared that aliasing is negligible in video, it's something I would have to be very Missourian about - I have to be 'show me'.

One assumes that a generation newer is a generation better, but assumptions, well, I've read bythom.com today, and I agree with him on this. I really lukewarm to this upgrade.

I don't see anything compelling.

My best to all,

Mike
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    The 7100 sounds like a fine cam, but I might be talked into getting a 7000 as a second body if they're well discounted later in the year. Will have to keep an ear to the ground on that one.

So I hope the 7100 is a GREAT performer!
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    The 7100 sounds like a fine cam, but I might be talked into getting a 7000 as a second body if they're well discounted later in the year. Will have to keep an ear to the ground on that one.

So I hope the 7100 is a GREAT performer!
    Hi all,

Me too!

My best,

Mike

• SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    Hey, I've not had time to be on the forum lately.......I turn my back and Nikon announce a new body! Where'd that come from? Maybe I should turn my back more often ;)

Looks like a nice piece of kit, but unfortunately anything with less ISO caperbility than a D3s is no use to me.
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • mk2popmk2pop Posts: 80Member
    Well im holding out for a d400, if we dont see it this summer i will be on this or a d800 ( i would need a wide angle lens though )
    D300 | D90 | D40 | F65 x2 | F75 | 10-24mm | 18-200mm | 35mm f1.8 | 50mm 1.4d | 40mm Micro | 70-300mm Tamron | 100-300mm f4 Sigma |1.4x Sigma tc | Sb400 | Sb900 x2

Awaiting a DX D400
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @skintbrit - considering d3s as a best low-light camera on the market there's not that many other cameras that will satisfy You :)
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    Surprising they're using such high MP in a flagship DX meant for speed/reach. I think they almost HAVE to make a D400 to appease "that" demographic. If I wanted speed and reach, then the still-formidable D300s would be my top choice right now. I think they could have held out a little longer to see what Canon was going to do with the 7d successor, which has its own crowd.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Agreed, the D7100 is a landscape, portrait camera, not intended for anyone who needs speed.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2013
    OK, now...after the Oldsmobile humor...

I am a strong believer that Nikon will introduce a mirrorless APSC body which will have its own set of non-retro focus lenses. The wide angle stuff will be better than we have seen, IMO, because if one can forget about the issue of retro focus, my guess, yes, guess, is that the issue of distortion can be resolved in new ways.

once this body is introduced, if it has adequate continuous servo focusing..no matter how they do this, they will have an adapter like the FT-1, and I can use all the FX lenses I currently have.

Yes, they may have some nice new lenses but at present I will stick with my particular set as I have not won the lotto, yet.

Again, I will say, we are seeing a revolution in camera design....my prediction, if the focus issue is resolved fully, in five years we will see no more pro DSLR bodies. All will be mirrorless.

Please do not jump all over me...we each have opinions and yours may be far better than mine. Of course I don't believe that for a second... :))
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    This announcement is in keeping with the camera roadmap that was recently released by Nippon Camera magazine. Expect the D400 in June.
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    This announcement is in keeping with the camera roadmap that was recently released by Nippon Camera magazine. Expect the D400 in June.
    The mythical D400 may or may not appear. I hope it does (as I am sure so many others do as well), but the "flagship" in D7100 description makes me doubtful. We shall see, and let us rejoice what we have in the meantime. Too much bellyaching about stuff that may or may not happen will only result in premature burial.
  • ricochetricochet Posts: 54Member
    "Flagship" just means its the best, for now. When the D400 comes out, it will become the flagship, until its replaced by something better that then becomes the flagship. So it goes, ad infinitum.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    As Thom Hogan points out on his blog, the "flagship" designation was made only in the US announcement but not in the Japanese launch, where the press materials described the D7100 as a "middle-class DX-format DSLR." In other words, the hype in the US was overblown.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It wasn't just Nikon USA, but also Nikon Canada, Nikon UK and Nikon Europe that put that marketing slant on the camera. You can see why it would confuse people, since most people here cannot read a Japanese website.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Cool, but honestly nothing unexpected.

I felt like this was more of a transition camera just to keep things fresh- sort of like the move from a D80 to a D90. It wasn't like the huge shift from a D90 to a D7000.

I don't know about the video end, but the photography stuff is definitely standard fare.

I'm glad I didn't wait to buy the D7000.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SanookSanook Posts: 66Member
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by Sanook on
  • ricochetricochet Posts: 54Member
    Its not the D400 I was hoping for but I might sell my D7000 and buy a D7100 just for the improved focusing module. Other than the improved focusing and the lock on the exposure turret, it really didn't solve the issues I had with the D7000, (fps, buffer, body build, size, and ergonomics). Its not the camera that I want but it might be enough of an upgrade to justify the expenditure. Depends on how far the value of my used D7000 plummets.