D800, Discussion, Questions, and Answers

1234568»

Comments

• Fred_BFred_B Posts: 24Member
    Be very careful with crazy glue around electronics. The fumes it gives off as it cures are not real healthy for electronics.
  • fishguyfishguy Posts: 23Member
    Fred_B:

Thanks - I ended up using a tiny dab of vinyl glue instead. I still wonder what the piece is designed to do....

~fishguy
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    That is the weather sealing. It keeps pressure against everything to keep water out.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member
    edited April 2013
    Holster case recommendations?

Hi all, I was wondering if you all had recommendations for a holster case for the D800. I have a backpack, but was thinking about something smaller, for when I just have the camera and one attched lens. Right now I am looking at the LowePro Toploader Pro 70 AW, Tamrac 519, and the Think Tank Digital Holster 20. Does anyone have experience/advice about these three? Others that would be better? Thanks!
    Post edited by roombarobot on
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I've two ThinkTank bags and would prefer their holster to others without seeing them. I already was looking on a holster myself and found the ThinkTanks well designed and well made. I just don't know, if they are huge enough for D800 + batterygrip and maybe fat glass (+ filter holder or hood) like 85/1.4 or 14-24.

Since I know ThinkTank, I'm done with Lowe - and I had five bags/ slingshots and rucksacks from them. To my needs, ThinkTank is more flexible. And looks better.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Lowpro always seem to be over padded and bulky. Some of the Tamrac's can be as well but some of the lightly padded one's are great. Think Tanks are good but can be very large if they are for pro bodies. Hard to tell without holding them.

I always liked the idea of holsters but everyone I bought, I never used it. I figure if I'm shooting, I am carrying the camera and all I really need is a lens pouch for an additional lens. Holsters are not built to "holster" your camera between shots but just a small bag to carry a camera with. If I'm going light with a backpack, I just use a lens pouch and a large lens wrap for the body. There are good Neoprene body cases for bodies - I really liked those. Had one but lost it. Nice thing is it takes up no space at all but protects everything. Just food for thought.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member

Has anyone seen if there is a change in how much VR helps? I am sure the image stabilization mechanism is better at stopping some vibration frequencies/amplitudes better than others. I wonder if that is more/less suited to the D800.
    I believe that Nikon VR samples at about 1 Khz. Different generations of VR correct for different axes of motion.

Consider too that VR does nothing for subject motion.

Where I have detected motion blur in my VR photos, it is almost always subject motion.

Regards .... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• umihiraumihira Posts: 1Member
    edited April 2013
    Hi everybody, i wanna ask a question about downsampling image on D800. For upload or share image online purpose, i just want to downsampling my image not only for a small size but also reducing noise. I wondering about the way to downsampling by software on PC (PTS, LR) with change Image Size option on the camera, does both methods make the same result (reducing noise, sharpen, IQ)? Does full area sensor will be used when select Medium/Small option or it just crop area on sensor for 20MP and 9MP?

Thank you.
    Post edited by umihira on
  • PrathapPrathap Posts: 9Member
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy a strobe set for my D800. this is to setup a home studio where I can learn. I am NOT a pro and I don't click for money.

Please let me know which are good.

PS: I am from India.

Thank you.
    Prathap.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited July 2013
    Prathap

I would start with a SB 910 and a simple umbrella

later on you may want to add a second SB910 and another simple light modifier

if you go for soft boxes you will need to a some sort of radio sync e.g. something like a pocket wizard

there are lots of threads on flash
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • AnnDAnnD Posts: 1Member
    I bought my D800 August 2012. It was a big learning curve for me. Oct 2012 I noticed it was focusing left low and in front of my subject. Called followed their instructions but it didn't get any better. After much time. I got permission to send it in in early Sept. (I'm 2 weeks out of warranty!) had to pay for the fix. The camera was returned in mid Oct. According to Nikon it was caused by the Nikkor 70-200mm VR 1:2.8 GII lens. It was too heavy and cracked the mount. I hunt you support the heaviest part of the gun when shooting for the best balance. I had the tripod supporting the lens but couldn't convince them. To get the camera back I paid the bill. Now I am facing the same exact issue the focus is in front and low of the object (about 1 foot from focal point with the f1.4 50mm lens). I reformatted to factory settings to test. Still wrong. Before I can send this back again I have to buy an Extreme SD card. I use Promaster 64 UDMA High Speed. The technician said that was likely my problem with the focus being off. It is also off using my AF-S Nikkor 1.4 50 mm lens. Has anyone had issues with this. Does this request for different card seem reasonable. I have one on order. Almost 2 years and still inferior photos.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2014
    @AnnD

Welcome to NRF. Sorry to hear of your D800 focus problems. I have never heard of a memory card causing focus problems, but let's see what some of the experts say bout you D800 issue.

Here is another thread you can look at
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1290/has-the-d800-left-side-focus-problem-been-remedied-on-newer-built-cameras/p1
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod