Sigma 35mm f1.4

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    "inspired" by PB_PM's comment, I thought, why not try every f/1.4 lens at the same conditions? And because I don't have much chandeliers at home, I took a bike ride to the shop.

Which was redecorated, this time by an expedition case of some doctor from 1932. But the chandeliers were still there. No, I don't feel the ... okay, I don't want to cause bias - see for yourself
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Would someone please tell me what "nervous bokeh" is...?
    Msmoto, mod
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    And how is it quantified? I cant see nervous in the picture either. but I don't taste "hints of blackberry and a cinnamon finish" in my red wines, either.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2013
    Nervous bokeh is often, but not only, manifest in double blurring of out of focus lights. That can be clearly seen in several of JJ_SO's samples. For more info, please learn to use a search engine.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I cannot see the "nervous bokeh" in the image of JJ_SO. But I did recognize the sarcasm....
    Msmoto, mod
    Using one search engine, beginning with "G" and ending with "oogle", I got 6790 hits for "what is "nervous bokeh"?" and only 572 for "definition "nervous bokeh"". You don't think, I run through all that rubbish and the few usable definitons, do you, PB_PM? Especially if such an advanced bokeh-connaisseur already gives the answer. At least, half of the answer.

Fred Miranda's blog i.e. came up with a reply of user "Sebboh": "nervous bokeh is more poorly defined and used more loosely. it typically means harsh bright rings on specular highlights and double lines in the rendering of oof edges. these are both caused by over correction of spherical aberration." This user also came up with a difference between "swirly" and "nervous" bokeh.

The other thing I recall was an issue of DigitalRev, when Kai Wong compared 3 different 35/1.4 and let the viewers decide which one they liked most. Sometimes I watch it for entertainment reasons and to see what they are destroying or doing now and from time to time they come up with brilliant ideas. If one likes Englisch accent and one hand shooting: Battle of Bokeh

As bokeh can't be measured and is depending on aperture, distance, focal length and relation of the highlights to the subject (how bright, how far away) I only can say I take what I have. I can't recall not to like a picture because everything was super except the bokeh didn't suit my taste.

But a more practical thing - far away from bokeh debates: When I was changing the primes yesterday night, I had two lenses with the usual Nikon thing of the rear caps: One rear cap was very hard to remove, the other already loose. The one that Sigma brought with never showed the one or the other behaviour. I was smiling because that confirmed me that I used the price difference bewteen Sigma and Nikon or Zeiss for a real good thing: To change all that crappy, poorly designed rear caps of Nikon against the best I've used so far. In a few day I shall get them.
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    Nervous bokeh is often, but not only, manifest in double blurring of out of focus lights. That can be clearly seen in several of JJ_SO's samples. For more info, please learn to use a search engine.
    There's the definition of how to undermine your point - by rudeness.

It didn't appear rude to me, just saying. A good source link to Wikipedia could have been more useful, but as there is no "scientific definition" - they simply avoid the rating "nervous".
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    For those of you that own this lens or those seeking some more examples of this lens performance, you might want to join the Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art group on Flickr.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    @ JJ_SO
    Thanks for the link to the Battle of the Bokeh. Maybe tomorrow mine will be shipped....

As to your images, I do not see the "nervous bokeh".

My plan is to take out the 24mm f/1.4 Nikkor, 35mm f/1.4 Sigma, and 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor, possibly the 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor, and see what they do at night in a downtown setting...lots of lights...
    Msmoto, mod
    You're welcome. To be honest, I take the bokeh what a lens delivers - I would not change the lens because of another one did in one situation a better, smoother one - I simply can't compare or do the same shot twice at the same time. Usually the situations I use to shoot are lowlight and change all the time. And if I can get such a crop at open aperture
    out of that
    the bokeh becomes a lower priority - but luckily for me, I'm absolutely happy with what the Sigma delivers. Bokeh as characteristic is a result of a lot of other things a lens delivers.

If I had a high ISO monster like your D4 I wouldn't pay that much of attention to fast primes - the shallow depth of field is not always an advantage. But it's great to use it when needed. And the whole package of this lens is a joy. I think I should stop to praise otherwise Sigma might get mad.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2013
    nm
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • BrainBeatBrainBeat Posts: 54Member

I'm troubleshooting a problem that with an SB-900 (on a D800) it consistently back focuses, but only with the flash!
    I have not gotten to reading all of the posts yet in this thread but I do also with my sigma 17-50 get back focus issues when using apertures under f4 and a flash and at f2.8 it also seems to over expose too. Then again it seems the majority of the time I think is always seem to back focus just a little. Overall though I a very happy with my lens and would consider buying sigma again.

At to this lens I am a little curious as to why it is still $900US which seems expensive for a prime. The pics do look great however so it is probably worth it, just it seems funny that the Nikor 50mm f1.4's can be so much cheaper. I guess all that extra glass dose jack up the price and maybe quality.
    Remember a 35mm lens has to be somewhat of a retro focus lens and a 50mm not nearly as much of a problem. The issue of retro focus design and elimination of all the bad things lenses can do costs money. For a pro lens, one generally spends from about $1000 and up. Price the Zeiss primes.....or the longer primes from Nikon, Canon, or any one else. If this were a 35mm f/2...no doubt it may be far less money. Although the Zeiss 35mm f/2 is a bit over $1100.
    Msmoto, mod
    @ JJ_SO
    My plan is to take out the 24mm f/1.4 Nikkor, 35mm f/1.4 Sigma, and 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor, possibly the 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor, and see what they do at night in a downtown setting...lots of lights...
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this lens, Msmoto. I'm keen to see some of you portraiture.

Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    @ Symphotic

So am I..... :))
    Msmoto, mod
    @BrainBeat, better compare it with other lenses in it's class. If you consider a "cheap" plastic fantastic standard Made in China lens without Nano-coating, ED-glass, aspherical elements (what usually is taken by marketing to explain steep prices) at 280 grams you'll always end with questions like yours ;)

The funny thing is: paid by grams, the price reflects the difference perfectly at about 2.2-2.3 times :)

I like it for portraits as well to show some of the situation around.

@ JJ_SO

"I like it for portraits as well to show some of the situation around." Exactly! =D>
    Msmoto, mod
  • elyumelyum Posts: 1Member
    Apparently every new owner of that lens is a happy owner.
    I wish I could say the same but....
    This is what I have experienced with this lens.
    First copy purchased mid january 2013 in a well known specialized shop in the city where I live.
    Given the reviews, I bought the lens without even testing it.
    Made a few shots at home on my D700 and no apparent problems, I was even pleased with the sharpness contrast, so very happy from my new acquisition. 2 weeks later a friend of mine asked me to do some shots of her business, I thought it would be a good idea to use my new lens. After the session I downloaded the photos on my computer. Bad surprise, an alternance of sharp and blurry shots. I thought it was me.
    A week later, I took a random shot of a printed characters on the head of one of my guitars, it was blurry to a point that I started to worry and decided to do some extensive tests, something that I have never done before with any of my lenses (8 in total). my conclusion after the tests (tripod, test chart) was that the extreme left and right focus point were unable to acquire a correct focus, explaining why my portrait shots were more blurry than the landscape ones, as there is a tendency to use more the extreme right focus point.
    So I brought my lens to the shop where I bought it from. They sent it to Sigma which simply changed it to new lens. Meaning a clear acknowledgement of the issue.
    Great service I got a new copy in less than a week, I'd thought "no need to test, I was just unlucky". Unfortunately after tests, the new copy suffers with the same problem. I couldn't believe it.
    Brought the lens back to the shop, showed them the test shots, and sure they were very surprised and tested themselves the lens on a D600, same problem. They decided to test a canon version of the lens for comparaison on a 6D : no problem for the canon copy they had in stock, so it's not the design of the lens.
    At this date, the 2nd copy has been sent back to Sigma and I am waiting for a third copy which should arrive in a few days.
    And believe me I will test it in the shop.
    Any of you have or heard about a similar experience?
    The only thing I could advise is to check AF finetuning accurately. After that sharpness was even wide open where I wanted it to be. And real sharpness... That written, I don't know if you did that?

As for your lens exchange: I'm very sorry to read that, but I also could tell some stories like this, I think everyone had once in a while a bad experience.

Sigma could as well be a victim of their own success. A lot of people are longing for that glass.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @elyum: Very unfortunate that you have run into this issue...let us hope that your next Sigma 35 1.4 will serve you much better.

With respect to this lens: DxOMark has rated the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 as thee best in optical performance.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    After recently purchasing the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G I thought I was done buying lenses for the year until the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 comes out this fall. Now this news hits and I feel the temptation will ultimately win. Now to find the best possible deal.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • new2photographynew2photography Posts: 1Member
    Does anyone know if the Sigma is compatible with d5x00 or d7x00 series? I'm thinking about getting my 1st dslr in a month or so.
    It will work on the D5100, D5200, D7000 and D7100. It is compatible with all Nikon F mount with automatic aperture control. (There is no aperture ring).
    Jack Roberts
    @new2photography

If you want the latest and best DX body at present, the D7100 is the one. Most likely in the next month or so, the D7000 will be discounted and a very good value. Handle them all before buying. There is a big difference between the D7xxx and D5XXX bodies.
    Msmoto, mod