Sigma 35mm f1.4

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I do understand what you say about the Nikon and wish you all time the best with it, especially your pics show how well you handle it. I think either way you decide, SkinBrit, a fast 35mm in this class is one of the best investments to do, except you prefer 50-60mm.

At this price you can get two Sigmas and test one of them for weather resistance :-)) Sigma doesn't confirm any kind of weather sealing, that's right. But if you bore on the Nikon specs, they don't specify precisely or make real promises like "after one month in this November May weather it will still work". ;)
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    Thanks guys. I have resisted thinking about getting the 35"G" as I already have the 24 & 50's and my 24-70 2.8 gives me the 35mm focal length (but not 1.4) should I need it. When I saw the positive reviews for the Sigma though, I thought maybe now is the time? To be honest, I think I would use their soon to be released 120-300 2.8 more often, and my £600 might be better spent put towards that. I never thought I'd hear myself say that I'd consider a third party lens, but with their new "A" range, looks like Sigma are finally a force to be reckoned with.
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • RenardRichie13RenardRichie13 Posts: 51Member
    @SkinBrit

This is the same argument i have on holding on to not purchasing 24mm lol!!!
    My 24-70mm is pretty sharp already. I am still itching for 24 f1.4 though but meh. i don't need 1.4 at 24mm.

I'll say if money is the concern i'll agree with JJ_SO you can buy 2 sigma for the price of 1 nikon.
    The build quality of the sigma screams luxury.
    RenardRichie13, be warned. If you get your hands on a 24/1.4G you will discover getting completely fresh ideas of small DOF and closeups or lowlight opportunities you haven't been able to master.

D7000, ISO 12800, f/1.8 1.7ft distance

Maybe Golf007sd or Msmoto join in and tell about their experiences with this great glass
    edited May 2013
    @JJ_SO

I dislike you x100000

Stop it. STOP IT! LOL. I'm already loving 35mm and i'm doing close portrait (i'll show you the newest engagement i did with that sweet sweet mother of lens and use my feet as if its a 24 lol.

I'm already inching on buying it after i saw
    http://www.samhurdphotography.com/2011/gear-reviews/gear-review-nikon-24mm-f1-4-ed-af-s-swm-lens

http://vandang.com.au/photographer/?page_id=2789

These two guys do it lol.

YOU SUCK. (now i kinda want it Lol gear envy is the death of me)
    Post edited by RenardRichie13 on
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    edited May 2013
    Weather sealing is basically a rubber gasket on the rear. I could probably "engineer" that myself w/out having to buy a lens that claims it is "weather sealed". No offense to anyone. I may end up buying Nikon's 35/1.4 but it will not be because of this one feature.
    Post edited by birdman on
    Well on the blog is a nice D5200, wrapped in yellow rubber. So you can kick it in the woods without hurting your feet too much and always find it again. I like that progress... :D

Renard, I guess I have to live with your billion time disliking me. Only comfort is a 24/1.4G, feels really nice on a D800. Just don't feel sad or envy, I'm suuuuure, the 35 is also a lloooooovely thing. X_X

Just not 24, but well...

Best would be to have both. ;;)
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    @RenardRichie13: The Sigma 35 1.4 has become more tractive to me each day that goes by. In fact, if I was going to get a 35mm for my D4...this is the one I'm most likely to go with. It is fantastic.

With respect to the for the 24 1.4G...all I can say is: "pure awesomeness!!!" Should you get your hands on one...you will not want to take it off or let it go. If you can get one by all means GO FOR IT. I found a person that is trying to sell his her locally the other day for $1500. It is still available. >:)
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, I see chatter about this lens again and for me it is the "normal" lens on my D4. I have not had any issues with it to date, find is is stunningly sharp wide open and love it absolutely.

But, I shoot snapshots, so whatever.
    Msmoto, mod
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    @SkinBrit
    I'll say if money is the concern i'll agree with JJ_SO you can buy 2 sigma for the price of 1 nikon.
    The build quality of the sigma screams luxury.
    Ahh, now that's the crux of my question, IF money wasn't a concern, which 35 would you buy? My wife will attest to the fact (and so will my credit card) that I have never been one to allow the price of something, get in the way of me buying the best if that's what I want. I suppose I was hoping this one time, that I could have my cake and eat it, that I could spend less than half the price AND have the best? From some of the initial reviews of the Sigma, it seemed that that was a real possibility. So I ask the question once more, if you had a voucher for your local store that entitled you to the 35 of your choice, at no cost to you, which would you come away with?
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
    35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH. Lens (Black)
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Msmoto: Yah...Buuuuut....that is not an F-Mount. :-B
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Mac_The_KnifeMac_The_Knife Posts: 19Member
    There may be an adapter for that,,,,
    D70s
    D90
    Mamiya 60
  • Mac_The_KnifeMac_The_Knife Posts: 19Member
    I'm not so sure about the "visoflex". Leica Visoflex M Lens to Nikon F Camera.
    D70s
    D90
    Mamiya 60
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    There may be an adapter for that,,,,
    The flange to focal plane distance of Leica 'M' lenses is much shorter than the Nikon 'F' mount, so no adapter is possible.

Nikon 'F' mount lenses could be adapted to Leica, but setting aperture on the later lenses without aperture ring would be difficult.

Leica ASPH Summilux, whether 24mm, 25mm, or 50mm at F1.4 outclass any others, but Nikons 24mm at F 1.4 is close.

My Nikon 35 F1.4 is very good starting at F2, F1.4 is good in the center, better than the 50 / 1.4 either 'D', or 'G' .

Regards .... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

If I would have to create the "dreaminess, creaminess" of the Nikkor 35 or try to come something close to it, I would do it by lower the "clarity" slider of Capture One. If I have to try to get the crisp look of the Sigma, even in crude backlight situations (which the lens ignores stunningly by not giving up contrast and micro-contrast), I could raise the clarity-slider of a "normal G-Nikkor" just a bit or do the same with the "definition" slider of Aperture.

I'd say , the Nikkor for weddings and the main terrain of the Sigma is reportage, street-photography and sports. Not so much landscape with apertures beyond f/8, as it is best at f/4. But I never shot a Nikkor 35/1.4 so I can't tell if the samples of Renard and the link of vandang from Australia are not postprocessed to the styles they do. The Nikkor, as I see it, doesn't miss a single tiny tone of a colorscale. So does the Sigma, but adds a bit more micro-contrast to it. It shows a lot details, but not every picture needs that.

With the voucher, I would try to make my own mind by renting a Nikkor first, but am afraid to stick with the Sigma.
    edited May 2013
    Timeout bird man. That rubber gasket isn't the only thing to make the lens weather sealed. It's every nooks and crannies inside the lens. Google it and you'll see that it isn't the only thing making that lens weather sealed.

@skinbrit nikon 35mm should be your answer if money isn't a concern. I love that lens to death. Auto focus dead sharp. I can live with the image less shaper than when sigma 35 goes dead sharp.
    It's an amazing lens and you should know this having nikon 24mm or 24-70mm.

Nikkor is more contrasty than sigma. Color is more saturated. But nothing like a little lightroom contrast slider and vibrance to make sigma like nikon.

Do this to put this ubcertainty to rest. Go to local dealer and test the two of them. Ull see :)
    Post edited by RenardRichie13 on
    I bought a used Siggy 35mm. It arrived last night and barely had a chance to play with it before it BROKE INTO about 5 PIECES!! Just kidding LOL! actually, shot with it around the dimly lit apartment for about 3-4 minutes. Seems like AF is just fine. Need daylight to tell more. Build quality is very good. However, and perhaps I'm biased, the Nikon is built to a higher standard. The 1.4g feels like the materials and lifespan are meant to last a little longer. IQ is very good of course. Sharpness is said to be better than the Nikon, at least from 1.4- 2.0. They're both ultra, ultra sharp and very close IMHO. Charts may tell a slightly diff't story. I'll end up with the Nikon 35 eventually -- just not in 2013. Okay back to work.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Grabbed a copy last week. Happy so far. :]

D3 • S35mm f1.4 @ f2 • 1/8000 • ISO 400
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    +1, @SquamishPhoto May I ask you to show us a 100% crop of her eye region?

I'd really like to see one day a direct comparison of the Sigma and the Nikkor.

@birdman You're the man, huh? After shooting around in dim light for 3-4 min., you know what's going on? B-) I wish I was that cool one day :D
    JJ_SO:
    Uhh, yeah, sure...right....you got it, buddy!! Whatever you meant by your perceived rude statement, I am not quite sure -- although I sense a hint of doubt or sarcasm. We're not all born with class, are we -- GUY ? Some advice from me to YOU: try perfecting your lame humor before you attempt to ultimately embarrass yourself by "wishing you were that cool one day."

I work for a living, and since the package was at my apartment after getting home from 10+ hrs. of work, I wanted to take a few shots to see if AF SUCKED in low-light. As I said above "Seems like AF is just fine. Need daylight to tell more". My 35L never got close to accurate focus in dim light (paired with the 5d2). If I feel the urge to further report on the lens' performance, the user: JJ_SO should feel free to jump on another forum and take out his frustrations there. Have a great day --..."Guy", is it? Or do people still refer to you as "son" and "boy". I want to address you in the same manner everyone else does, respectfully or not. I owe you that much. And one of these sarcastic smileys :-))
    :D :))
    edited June 2013
    @SquamishPhoto

Mike, I think you are going to find the Sigma is a great lens....the perfect one to hang on the body and do about anything.

@Others

As to the rest of the discussion, posts will be deleted if the name calling continues....some is in humor, but others seem to be going a bit far.....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    It certainly has been a fun lens to shoot with it. Got this next one in manual focus, which I found quite nice with the lens. :]

D800 • S35 f1.4 @ f2 • 1/1600 • ISO 100
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    NICE shot! should make a gif on that bee landing :)
    Thanks! :]
    Mike