Sigma 35mm f1.4

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Yeah. The D5x00 have the better display :D

If you like to take some shots of frogs or over fences. I just keep one in stock in case I ever need to photograph frogs. You never know... B-)
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    edited March 2013
    He are two images taken with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4. These aren't intended to be critical evaluation images but I did want to shoot a couple of frames with relatively low light just to demonstrate how the lens handles low light. I also wanted to demonstrate the sharpness and lack of distortion so I picked a subject where there is plenty of detail. Again these images are not intend to be great photographic work. The first image was shot at f/1.4 and the second at f/2.0.
    Cabinet-6220
    Cabinet-6221
    Post edited by adamz on
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    edited March 2013
    @beso - please set the proper permission for the second photo, as it's not showing. also if You do a copy and paste from flickr You don't have to put the code between the < img src > bracket as it's already there.
    Post edited by adamz on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,339Member
    Most likely in the next month or so, the D7000 will be discounted and a very good value.
    OT - don't mean to derail thread, but . . .
    Is there any Nikon "history" to go on as to what the timing and magnitude of a D7000 discount might be at this juncture?

- Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • RenardRichie13RenardRichie13 Posts: 51Member
    edited March 2013
    I just ordered mine from Amazon. 1 day shipping. I'll post images this weekend. On saturday i have a wedding to shoot and I'll test it then. I'm so excited :)

PS: for those who will say you shouldn't test new lenses on the day off etc. I have other regular lenses to shoot for this wedding already. so no worries.
    Post edited by RenardRichie13 on
    edited March 2013
    I don't know how i could possibly say this lightly.
    This lens is magical i swear. Sharp as HELL! focus no problem WHATSOEVER. this is low light situation i tried to make the room dark and i shot it with a flash on the rightside mounted on westscott rapidbox 26inch
    http://tinyurl.com/c8v3vhy

This is after i post processed regularly
    http://tinyurl.com/cqzwukt

Warning: HUGE FILES.

Edit2: I feel that those who wants to see the photo should see it lol
    this is in a much more manageable size (facebook compressed it so artifacts comes from facebook)
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Wow!!! renardRichie13 said it: that lens must be magical. The pug looks to be 3D, even on the web. It must be stunning on good paper.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    I love this lens! I just got it yesterday!

Nikon D3s @ ISO 1,000 + Sigma 35mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4; available-light.

[100% crop]
    Nikon D800E @ ISO 100 + Sigma 35mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4; available-light.

[100% crop]
    Wow!!! renardRichie13 said it: that lens must be magical. The pug looks to be 3D, even on the web. It must be stunning on good paper.
    1/250 f4.
    I forgot the iso i think its 400 or lower
    flash -2ev
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Mine will be here on Monday...yeah!
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Nikon D3s @ ISO 400 + Sigma 35mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4 + Nikon SB-800 + 5' Profoto RFi octa.

Nikon D3s @ ISO 400 + Sigma 35mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4 + Nikon SB-800 + 5' Profoto RFi octa.
    edited March 2013
    I think you're gonna love it, Ms. Moto!

I can't believe how much I've missed the 35mm angle-of-view, especially for environmental portraiture (which is not what I've posted above--those are to show its bokeh characteristics), and full-length shots. The last time I shot using the 35mm angle-of-view was with its DX-equivalent, an AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 on a D70, way back in 2005 . . . then I dropped it!

For whatever reason, I never shot my old AF Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 on my FX bodies. Now, I'm in love with this new Sigma 35mm. I haven't shot any charts, rulers, or brick walls yet, but it looks pretty darned good wide-open. I'll probably end up shooting this lens almost exclusively at f/1.4.
    Post edited by studio460 on
    edited March 2013
    I'm shooting a wedding this saturday.
    I'll post the album here after i'm done processing them :)
    Night shot with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4
    Crystal Ballroom-6236
    edited March 2013
    Look forward to seeing those, Renard! That focal length should work well for environmental portraits and group candids. Nice to see a night exterior, there, Beso!

I recently bought DxO Optics Pro Elite 8 for OS X (and, I really like the results it produces!). I sure hope DxO comes out with a D800E module for this lens someday soon. I can't believe that it's not high on their list, since it's fast become such a popular lens.
    Post edited by studio460 on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @Beso

This looks like it was shot on a 4" x 5" view camera.......nice.
    Msmoto, mod
    I did, Renard. How great is it to have a better-than Zeiss lens for $899?
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited March 2013
    The best lens in my bag. The price is right!
    @Beso: Did you do any post processing on that night scene? It looks great. the 18 spikes on the streetlight are an interesting feature. The depth of field at F9 is great, but I wonder what would happen to the street lamp at a wider F-stop. I'll try to play around with mine to see what it does.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited March 2013
    @Symphotic - I did minor post-processing adjusting exposure a bit and turning down highlight and elevating shadows; a bit of clarity enhancement ... all in Lightroom 4. Here is a similar shot with the lens wide open. Of course the DOF is much tighter, which in my opinion does not make as nice a photograph for this night cityscape shot.
    Crystal Ballroom-6224

@Msmoto - Thank you! This lens appears to be very good and a great bang for the buck.
    Post edited by Beso on
    edited March 2013
    I gotta admit one thing though.
    I just got back from the rehearsal for tomorrow wedding.
    You kinda have to shoot it with higher shutter speed. The higher the better if you're planning for f1.4.
    Focus is just fine. Its the fact that the second you shoot, this lens is so sensitive it literally will put a slight blur on it caused by you. i don't know if that makes sense at all. The church was kinda dark On the altar is all fine iso 400-500. But on the back of the church its iso 2000. I had to put the shutter at 1/100-1/125 to get nail sharp photos. at 1/80 its borderline. If you have tripod hands it would be just fine. I tried to run and gun it and i can only be comfortable doing that at 1/125

Oh and i center focus decoupled with af-on. for my focus method.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I just got a parcel with 10 Sigma rear caps for the "ART" lenses. They are so clever and carefully designed I had to replace the Nikon caps. It's cool to be able to open the rear cap with the same hand I'm already using to hold the lens. :)
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited March 2013

Question: Have anyone of you used or are considering getting the Sigma USB Dock for this lens?
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited March 2013

Question: Have anyone of you used or are considering getting the Sigma USB Dock for this lens?
    I haven't considered this but now that I have the lens I may be interested in the future. I need to know more prior to purchasing. I like the concept and it follows a number of other electronics manufacturers that provide firmware updates to maintain currency.
    Post edited by Beso on