D9300 All Discussions

Comments

• jenhan61jenhan61 Posts: 3Member
    edited July 2014
    It appears that Thom Hogan thinks the D9300 could very well happen at Photokina. He does also say that Nikon is a bit behind with their product launches. He is also a bit unclear if the new dslr will be a D7300 or a D9300, but he seems more inclined to think that Nikon will launch the D9300 because they will have to do this to stay on top of the DSLR DX game.
    I am inclined to agree with Thom Hogan. D9300 is the camera Nikon have to release to stay competitive in the DX game.
    I might of course also suffer from a serious case of wishful thinking as I have been longing for a replacement for my venerable D200 for some time now.. ;-)
    You can read Thom Hogans predictions in full here: http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-photokina-prognosis.html
    Post edited by jenhan61 on
  • catfishcatfish Posts: 41Member
    I hope you are right Jenhan but even Thom sounds pretty wishy-washy about whether a DX DSLR will be announced. It's more they should, well maybe, at least a model under glass so you can see what it looks like. We don't need a model, we all know what the camera will look like unless they drastically alter the body. I can't imagine them allowing Canon to announce the 7D MK II unopposed. I can see this forum should this happen, it'll be full of R and X-rated posts.
    “Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
    ― Ansel Adams
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited July 2014
    I know a number of photp pros I am friends with are almost more interested in a D9300 or a D7200 than any other offering Nikon could make. The D9300 if it is released WILL NOT be a mini-Df! Why? Nikon is VERY aware that video on a DSLR is very important for a large segment of DX buyers. Retro looking cameras are too a niche market and that is a fact. If they release a D9300 it will have to look like a modern DSLR DX format at tthe top of its game!.

I have looked very close at the Nikon D810. It is a GREAT camera. I also have NO intention of buying one as the D7100 we are using now is pretty much the platform we are most sold on as users. Have to say I agree with TTJ on some the above matters. Seems it is always best to stick to the thread topic pretty close. Despite being convinced the D800 and now the D810 is a fantastic camera but it just doesn't fit our field needs and for that matter budget. We as a nuclear family spend an amount equal to a pretty substantial FX camera and lens but here the focus is pretty much on high tech video and I alone as the senior family member cling to the still image for now about 98% of my work, and just months ago it was 50% still and 50% video. I have gotten discouraged about how much time good video takes and for documenting our work stills are quicker and sometimes very straightforward.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Oh this is not good. It sure looks like the next new DSLR is a FF model. Darn.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Its okay. The 7100 is a very nice camera when used to its full potential. Just means another year I keep it as a workhorse while I wait for the 7200.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    FX would to 75% be a dream come true. No more choosing between speed and IQ.
    But for tele, my current, and my wishlist lenses are suddenly not so perfect. and there were also a couple of additional DX lenses that I was planning to get. Ahem... more thinking required!
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    @manhattanboy: If the D9300 never comes so be it...like you it just means for me another year and we will see the D7200. Next week I will have had my D7100 1 year and my shutter activation count is 9,300. Love the higher IQ and other features.

@Sports: A Full Frame model between the D610 and D810 is going to draw lots of interest from many photographers if it has the features mentioned on the main posting. This could be the camera that pushes me to a FF body while keeping the D7100 for BIF photos and long telephoto lens. Agree that moving from DX to FX means you need to be careful with your lens wishlist. I think that a lot of Nikon users are going to stop and think about the new D710..especially if there are a few new unexpected features. More thinking is a good thing so long it doesn't turn into procrastination.

For me, my slush fund is almost big enough to buy a D710/D750 or whatever it will be called and a 24-70mm without having to sell my D7100...assuming its $2,500.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @manhattanboy: If the D9300 never comes so be it...like you it just means for me another year and we will see the D7200. Next week I will have had my D7100 1 year and my shutter activation count is 9,300. Love the higher IQ and other features.

@Sports: A Full Frame model between the D610 and D810 is going to draw lots of interest from many photographers if it has the features mentioned on the main posting. This could be the camera that pushes me to a FF body while keeping the D7100 for BIF photos and long telephoto lens. Agree that moving from DX to FX means you need to be careful with your lens wishlist. I think that a lot of Nikon users are going to stop and think about the new D710..especially if there are a few new unexpected features. More thinking is a good thing so long it doesn't turn into procrastination.

For me, my slush fund is almost big enough to buy a D710/D750 or whatever it will be called and a 24-70mm without having to sell my D7100...assuming its $2,500.
    I have about the same count but I shoot with FF as well.
    I would look at the 810 or 800e if I were you. You have speed and distance with the 7100.
    Go for an 800 series for landscape and ISO when you down sample in poor light.
    I would stick with FX lenses. The 7100 is Nikon's most demanding camera when it comes to lenses as a very sharp lens is required to prevent acuity drop due to the pixel density. Any FX lens that holds acuity on the 7100 should be sufficient for any of the current FF cameras.
    @Manhattan said:

I have about the same count but I shoot with FF as well.
    I would look at the 810 or 800e if I were you. You have speed and distance with the 7100.
    Go for an 800 series for landscape and ISO when you down sample in poor light.
    I would stick with FX lenses. The 7100 is Nikon's most demanding camera when it comes to lenses as a very sharp lens is required to prevent acuity drop due to the pixel density. Any FX lens that holds acuity on the 7100 should be sufficient for any of the current FF cameras.

That is a good option going with the D800 or D800E and keeping the D7100. I have to wait to see what the new D710 has to offer and how it compares to the D800. Msmoto through me a curve ball when she bought the D800E for DX mode. You just added an option and more to think about.

Especially because the local camera store has 3 D800 he just took on trade for D810. Thanks.
  • 4thebirds4thebirds Posts: 27Member
    Canon Rumors is now beginning to add more information about the upcoming 7DMkII, including *12fps*! I take this as good news. Nikon can either answer with a pro DX body of their own, or I may seriously think about switching to Canon (depending on how the 7DMkII actually performs after it is released). That would be a huge and expensive decision for me. I use my D7100 mostly for wild bird photography these days, and I have thousands invested in Nikon glass. I'll give Nikon until Christmas to get it's DX act together. In the meantime I'll be looking at the "other side..."
    Canon Rumors is now beginning to add more information about the upcoming 7DMkII, including *12fps*! I take this as good news. Nikon can either answer with a pro DX body of their own, or I may seriously think about switching to Canon (depending on how the 7DMkII actually performs after it is released). That would be a huge and expensive decision for me. I use my D7100 mostly for wild bird photography these days, and I have thousands invested in Nikon glass. I'll give Nikon until Christmas to get it's DX act together. In the meantime I'll be looking at the "other side..."
    I saw that and am also being tempted by the dark (or is it white) side...
    Count me in IF (and that is a big IF) the 12+ fps will be near silent after the first shutter snap. There is nothing more annoying than to fire the 7100 on CH in a quiet situation. Birds and other animals don't like it when you point a long lens at them and then rattle off something that sounds like a mini machine gun. The lack of wifi though is a huge bummer. Hopefully Nikon will delightfully surprise us.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    Perhaps the new FF camera will have a DX mode that's made to accept native DX lenses. I don't use my D800 in DX mode all that often, and I don't own any DX lenses, but there are times when I find it is appropriate to shoot in DX. However, the FOV through the D800's viewfinder in DX mode could do with some improvement in any new camera with this feature. I wouldn't be interested in a new FF camera that's strictly full frame, but I might be interested in a camera that offers flexibility to shoot in different formats + a faster burst rate in DX mode, is weather sealed, is lighter and easier to travel with than my D800 and has a quieter shutter than my loud D800.
    @BabaGanoush: That would be an excellent FF/DX body. Allows those of us who want to shoot in both format the option to do that. The preliminary rumor specs look good. I am sure lots of folks are watching for the final specs at the introduction. Buffer size, FPM shooting rate, size, and AF system are keys for me.
  • Terry7732Terry7732 Posts: 14Member
    I do not believe that Nikon will abandon the Pro ASP-C market.
    Last time around the D300s was soundly trounced by the 7D although the 7D was released only a few months after the D300s. My guess is that Nikon already have a Pro spec DX model ready for release but with several different options available, and that they are waiting to see what the final spec for the 7D Mkll will be. Nikon will want to make sure that their model will be at least equal to the Canon model if not superior. Nikon will not want to get caught with their pants down twice in a row.
    I do not believe that Nikon will abandon the Pro ASP-C market ... Nikon will not want to get caught with their pants down ...
    Could be correct ... if those Canon rumors are really true, Nikon would look pretty stupid if they aimed too low.
    But if the D750 is really a proper, fast FX action camera, many potential D9300 buyers will get the D750, and the D9300 will not become the succes, it would have been a couple of years ago.
    D300, J1
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2014
    There is little evidence to prove that Nikon hasn't. When was the last "Pro" DX lens or camera released/announced? 5 years ago. That's a big gap, which kind of hints that Nikon has done just that, abandon the high end APS-C market.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I think if they bring out another FX camera before putting expeed 4 in a D7100 replacement
    They will also have abandoned the semi pro DX market as well
    edited August 2014
    I think saying that Nikon is abandoning the semi-pro DX market might be stretching it a bit. The D7100 isn't in need of an update until next year, if the typical two year cycle is maintained.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    We probably do not now what Nikon is doing, nor what they are thinking. And, as the marketing department is apparently running the show, the ability to predict is almost nil.

From my individual perspective, I do hope Nikon gets serious about the full frame or crop sensor mirrorless, as Sony and others are moving right along and I have all these Nikkor F mount lens… LOL

The more DSLR bodies Nikon comes out with would seem to diminish the chances of a dramatically new body, read: mirrorless.

If a D9300 comes along, maybe it will have some of the field testing of stuff that would work in a mirrorless. Who knows?
    Msmoto, mod
    I don't think Nikon is losing anything by not going mirrorless, at least not yet. Are they losing some sales? Yes? Is that the main reason? No, the main reason is an over saturated market. Mirrorless camera makers will run into the same problem in due time, but right now they are "shiny objects".
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I wonder if the mistakes recently being made are because they have their R&D 'first team' working on mirrorless? The R&D dept being stretched too thin would explain a lot of things that are happening lately.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Last time around the D300s was soundly trounced by the 7D although the 7D was released only a few months after the D300s. My guess is that Nikon already have a Pro spec DX model ready for release but with several different options available, and that they are waiting to see what the final spec for the 7D Mkll will be. Nikon will want to make sure that their model will be at least equal to the Canon model if not superior. Nikon will not want to get caught with their pants down twice in a row.
    So maybe thats why we have been waiting so long ! They have been playing chicken and waiting to see who blinks first.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

... The R&D dept being stretched too thin ...
    All these companies are located in Japan. Is it possible that the "ace" developers are simply moving to more innovative companies?
    In the US or western Europe, many of the real brains would not hesitate to move if the exciting projects were elsewhere. Has Nikon become too much of a business plan, and no longer an engineering-driven culture?
    Are there any local rumors about this? Do Japanese workers (developers) as of 2014 go for the more exciting projects, or are they more loyal to their own company?
    D300, J1
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    ... The R&D dept being stretched too thin ...
    All these companies are located in Japan. Is it possible that the "ace" developers are simply moving to more innovative companies?
    In the US or western Europe, many of the real brains would not hesitate to move if the exciting projects were elsewhere. Has Nikon become too much of a business plan, and no longer an engineering-driven culture?
    Are there any local rumors about this? Do Japanese workers (developers) as of 2014 go for the more exciting projects, or are they more loyal to their own company?
    I can't speak directly about Nikon, but I do know that with Honda employees, loyalty is huge because they build houses for the employees and schools for the kids etc. etc - it is a completely different approach and culture to the US and Western Europe. The US has treated employees like cr@p for a long time now, and the UK is trying to follow suit.
    Always learning.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited August 2014
    Site gave me an error and ended up to be a double post.
    Post edited by scoobysmak on