D9300 All Discussions

Comments

• scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    Since we have kinda gotten off topic figured I would throw my random thoughts about Nikon's DX future. What if the D7100 has the greatest pixel density possible for realistic photography. To give an example of what I mean, a gallon of gas contains so much energy. We can develop car engines that burn fuel more economically but overall one gallon of gas will only get you so far even if the engine provided 100% of the energy in gas to forward motion (not heat and other type/forms of energy when burning fuel). Say for color photography we have reached the limits with the D7100, light has only so much energy. We have reduced the pixel size that only so much light can enter each "photo cell". Do I believe we have gotten this far, not really but just a thought. I think solar cells are in the area of 15-25% effective turning light into energy, but not sure the relation to generating power to capturing light is on the same "page" you might say.

At this point in time lets just say the pixel density of the D7100 is the best we could do with the materials we have on this planet. I see no reason for Nikon to dwell in DX cameras. With the D7100 pixel density I think a FF camera would be in the range of 52 MP (just a guess). Just make a DXXX camera that cropped down to 24MP for DX. It would need an extremely huge buffer if you wanted any speed with FF RAW files but most people are totally happy with the 36MP of the D8XX. Some don't care for 36MP and it seems a D750 is on its way, can't argue with that. This is just random thoughts on the matter of creating a D9300 like I hope for. Most people have already switched over to full frame options like the D800 or D810 to shoot in DX with higher than 6 fps. Lets face it FF glass is more $$$ than DX glass, plus if you want reach your going to have to pay for it. If Nikon puts out a surprise like a 400mm F5.6 you might not have to pay so much but its still going to hurt.

On the matter of mirror-less, from my understanding you can make changes to lenses 58mm and smaller/wider with less complexity but over 58mm I would imagine you start having the opposite effect for longer focal lengths. If an adapter was made for lenses over 58mm to make it the same distance to the "film plane" is it is today it would be a nice thing. You could have small wide angle lenses and then for longer lengths put on the adapter to shoot the expensive telephotos you already have in your bag. You would only have to replace anything below 58mm if you wanted to otherwise use the adapter.

I need to read more about the advantages of a mirror-less system. Besides unlimited FPS since the mirror wouldn't be in the way, quieter, and a more compact design; what does it offer? Until the auto focus gets worked out I will stay to my mirrored camera. Unless I need something smaller I doubt I would have the desire to switch over, then I would probably get a compact camera like the Nikon 1 system anyway.

Most of this is just totally random thoughts I have at the moment, I would love to see a D9300 but I wouldn't even bet one share of penny stock that we will see it. The most important fact of photography is buy the best camera for your purpose, within your budget, and let the rumors be. There will always be a camera on the horizon that is better "spec wise" than what you have so get used to it. Just go out and enjoy taking pictures with what you have, it will be more rewarding than reading about something you wish you had.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "Most people have already switched over to full frame options like the D800 or D810 to shoot in DX with higher than 6 fps."

That's not right scoobysmak!
    Always learning.
    "Most people have already switched over to full frame options like the D800 or D810 to shoot in DX with higher than 6 fps."

You might be correct, how about I re-word it to some people????

That's cool. ;;)
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2014

Simple, a visible minority of people have switched to full frame. Full stop right there. Full frame is as much a buzz word these days a mirrorless. Both of those types of cameras are being advertised and thrown at people so hard, there might be an impression that "most people have already switched" when that is not the case. Crazy to hear that from an FX shooter, but it is true.

DX is still Nikon's bread and butter in the DSLR world, no if ands or buts about it. Nikon will likely sell more D3300 kits with 18-55mm VRII this year than all the FX DSLR's and lenses the've sold in the last 3-5. Lets put it this way, Nikon has sold over 10 million 18-55mm VRI kit lenses in the last 6 years. Only one AF-S FX lens has production numbers of over 1 million individual copies produced. Can you guess which lens? It's the AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR (1,008,383), and I bet that half of them are used on DX bodies.

What about the holy trinity? There must be boat loads out there, right? Err, well, not exactly. AF-S 14-24mm F2.8G (250,599), AF-S 24-70mm F2.8G (710,405), AF-S 70-200mm f2.8G VRII (314,855). These numbers represent total sales since release. Nikon has made more of the AF-S 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G VR's (4,634,822) than all of the holy trinity combined. How about the great F1.4 primes, that "everyone must have!" Yeah, the numbers are lower than some of the holy trinity.

See this sit for more info.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    10-15% in those solar cells? but definitely not the camera sensors. I think the last thread we had on the matter showed 40-50% on the latest sensors.. and then there is "black silicon" with nearly 100% efficiency. only problem is I think it can be weaponized. I think the DOD have it under their control now.. sigh ...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

As I get picked apart but with valid points. I guess I should have also re-worded that "there is no reason for Nikon to dwell in DX camera's" to "there is no reason for Nikon to dwell in a pro DX camera".
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I suspect you're right. If I were Nikon, I'd want the "DX pro market" to migrate to FX, and lenses of greater focal length. Put it this way, if you know you have a fairly serious birder who you know is going to buy Nikon gear, what would you rather see them buy/shoot with: a D800 (or even a D4s) with 500mm f/4 or a D9300 with a 300 f/2.8 and a 1.7x teleconverter?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited August 2014
    <
    See this sit for more info.
    That is a bad link, all I got was an error message.
    I am interested in seeing the sales numbers, if you can repost the link that would be great. Thank you for posting facts, The numbers on the 18-105 were high but when you think about it, it's logical.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I suspect you're right. If I were Nikon, I'd want the "DX pro market" to migrate to FX, and lenses of greater focal length. Put it this way, if you know you have a fairly serious birder who you know is going to buy Nikon gear, what would you rather see them buy/shoot with: a D800 (or even a D4s) with 500mm f/4 or a D9300 with a 300 f/2.8 and a 1.7x teleconverter?
    There is another option.. Canon 7dM2 400mm F5.6.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2014
    @Photobug Fixed link. http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html Now, keep in mind these are not actual sales numbers, just estimates from known serial numbers. While they are not actual sales figures, it gives you a ball park idea.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Thanks PB_PM. I have bookmarked this web page.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    "there is no reason for Nikon to dwell in a pro DX camera"
    Well, Canon believes there IS a reason for a pro-ish DX (according to their rumors that seem to be 90% certain), and I guess we can agree they're usually pretty good at selling cameras (even with fewer different DSLRs in their range than Nikon).
    The main reason for "dwelling" with a pro DX body is that people want to buy it. Some as their only body. Some as a supplement to their FX. I'm not saying it would enter the Amazon top-10 list, but it would sell far more than the D4S or DF or D3X, you continue .... Each copy would make less money to Nikon, obviously, but it's better to make money than if the customer just keeps his money.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    @ proudgeek some of us want to put a 600 on that 9300 or whatever pro-sumer model Nikon makes.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    @ proudgeek some of us want to put a 600 on that 9300 or whatever pro-sumer model Nikon makes.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd like a D9300 as well. I just don't see it.
  • adsads Posts: 93Member
    I'm not one for saying if Nikon doesn't produce a D300 replacement I'm jumping ship to Canon, but gee 20mp, 65 cross type AF points and 10fps (the latest 7D rumor) sounds awfully tempting...
  • stew2325stew2325 Posts: 3Member
    I am really sorry everybody but it is going to be a D600 with expeed 4 so it will be a D600 with an extra FPS.

I hope @stew2325 is wrong about the only delta being the Expeed 4.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am really sorry everybody but it is going to be a D600 with expeed 4 so it will be a D600 with an extra FPS.

Not sure I understand this statement. When it comes to the actual specs I would tend to go along with what Admin suggests on the main blog. His sources are generally good.
    Msmoto, mod
    @msmoto: The explanation for the post by stew2325 is quite straightforward when you think about it:

He's wrong.
    Always learning.
    I watched the NRF for over a year before joining and have always been impressed with the Admin rumor sources. He is rarely wrong and hits the nail on the head.
    +1 Peter doesn't pass on bad info with a high probability rating.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I clearly am not the market for a D9300, as I would never need more than 6 fps at more than 2 to 3 seconds. But for me the fact that Nikon would still make a D9300 is pretty important because it shows that they are still invested in the DX lineup. There are clearly lenses missing in the DX stable and it would be nice if they released them.

Look at the buzz around the Sigma 18-35 1.8. There is still demand for DX lenses. The earthquake and tsunami definitely took a chunk out of the expected release cycle of the D300s replacement, but this is a little ridiculous on Nikon's part.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Absolutely. This latest firmware update from Nikon is supposedly exclusively lens distortion data but it has me wondering about this internet paranoia regarding Nikon blocking third party lenses. If they did that, we would only have Nikons FX and meagre DX line-up to choose from.
    Always learning.
    One of my good friends who shoots Canon, sent me this note:

That is because Canon is going to release the replacement for the 7D on September 5. It is rumored to have 20+ megapixels sensor and somewhere between 10 and 12 frames per second burst rate. I think I will own one if the rumors are true.

He also follows Canon rumors like I do Nikon. A new 7D on Friday at the specs listed above...wow. Is Nikon going to get caught without a response? The D9300 was to be the response. Wouldn't that be fun if the D9300 and D750 were announced on September 15 at the show.