Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @spraynpray: I wonder why you think a Canon 6D is a better camera than a Nikon D610.

If Nikon decides to boost the D610 and call it D750 it is going to be a very good camera.
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    Action camera? An action camera is 12fps-8fps with focus release priority. An action camera needs to be compared to the D4s, not the 810. If the frame rate is only 6.5 then the camera is compromised. A camera with 8fps and 24 MP would be a great combination. Shooting movement optimally requires fast Af, high frame rates, large buffers and fast buffer clearance at a minimum. Regardless of the price point this should not be a detuned 810, it should be a detuned 4s. The 610 tries hard but its not even close to a D4/4s. So lets hope Nikon builds it right or we can all save our money and wait for the D5.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    "The 610 tries hard but its not even close to a D4/4s" Oh, my. Since when does a camera "try hard" to be something else? Or did I just miss the moment when those things became selfconscious? And wherefrom is your definition of "action camera has to have 12-8 fps" (50% difference is quite generous...) So in that aspect the V3 would have to be called a hyper-action cam? :D

How cool would it be if this D750 would have a different fps in LV? and a better contrast detection AF? Let's see what it is when it's officially announced
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited September 2014
    Guys, the D750 is going to shoot at 7.0 frames per second.
    However, if I am wrong, then it will be 7.5 frames per second as the Expeed 4 processor will be the limiting factor.
    Good math but the post on the blog says 8 fps. So I wonder if Nikon rounded the fps up. Doubtful, so they did something different to get to 8fps. I am sticking with the Admins post.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @spraynpray: I wonder why you think a Canon 6D is a better camera than a Nikon D610.

If Nikon decides to boost the D610 and call it D750 it is going to be a very good camera.
    You made two points:

The first point - read my post again - I didn't say I thought it was a better camera, the reviews rate it as the best low light camera.

The second point - I agree. It sounds like everything I would want.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    'Based in independent DxOMark tests' =))

Really? Is that all you got?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2014
    Guys, the D750 is going to shoot at 7.0 frames per second.
    However, if I am wrong, then it will be 7.5 frames per second as the Expeed 4 processor will be the limiting factor.
    Good math but the post on the blog says 8 fps. So I wonder if Nikon rounded the fps up. Doubtful, so they did something different to get to 8fps. I am sticking with the Admins post.
    Admin's most recent spec list pointed to the 6.5FPS that was mentioned earlier.
    "D750 to be announced this month, specs: 6.5fps, AF unit same as the D810
    D610 might be discontinued soon
    At the same time a new lens will be announced: AF-S 20mm f/1.8G with Nano crystal coating"
    My guess is that the D750 will use the D610's shutter, rather than the one from the D810.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    :.. then it will be 7.5 frames per second as the Expeed 4 processor will be the limiting factor.
    Good math
    True, these numbers correspond, but the data sheet from Fujitsu says that the processor supports 24 Mp at 12 fps.
    With Expeed 3, the processor was the limiting factor (or one of them), but with the 4, there must be other factors, and it's hard to see which ones ... and if protecting the D4s is one of them.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Peculiar to me in that we've not seen or heard more info on this yet. I would think that the more tight lipped Nikon is about this and able to keep it under wraps, the better chance we have for something really surprising here but I do trust the spec's the Admin has basically laid out will likely prove to be true as usual.

What if it shot 12fps? That would be insane, but all those people bitching about their 36Mp file sizes maybe wouldn't feel too bad considering the sheer volume of files the D750 shooter is likely to rack up during a typical session.

Fun stuff...
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Still 7 days to go. I expect our highly skilled crystal ball interpreters to fill another 10 pages, at least.

:D

Otherwise, what's the point of a "rumors" site? Only thing, approaching photokina brings tons of other important stuff to buy and talk about, so if you face any stress syndromes like RSI, just take a walk with one of your old fashioned cameras.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    edited September 2014
    The rumor part of this page has nothing to do with the endless, speculative wish lists that fill these threads - its the part where the admin posts rumors. Thats it. :]
    Post edited by SquamishPhoto on
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    PB_PM said: My guess is that the D750 will use the D610's shutter, rather than the one from the D810.

That is one way to save money. IMHO I don't think using the D610's shutter instead of the D810 is a bad thing.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • D750thekingD750theking Posts: 1Member
    The D750 i think will be a straight competitor to the 7D mk II but full frame with a bit less fps.This is the only way to keep sales up.The 7D is rumoured as a very complete sport/action camera and Nikon will have to respond in some way.I think the D750 will be that camera.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited September 2014

And I still believe what the Video is in the system will make or break it.
    I don't do any video but am correct, in assuming, For videographers, wanting an "action" camera , fps is not too important

If Nikon were really smart, they'd go ahead and develop a body that targeted videographers exclusively. That means a DSLR but a completely different shape and way of working with it. Jam it with all the best video features and abilities (see GH4) and then also let it take good stills. Make it a 12Mp still camera and a 4K video camera. They could develop a small line of "cinema" lenses for it in F-mount too. Just work on the AF system a bit, then come out with some accessories that support this body too.

All of this and they could have sold quite a few. They really missed the boat on this one.

Jon

I think that DSLR's are creeping that way. I would not want the camera that you describe, as I have little interest in video. This is one reason that I think leaving video out of the DF has merit.

I also think a camera like the above has merit.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    :.. then it will be 7.5 frames per second as the Expeed 4 processor will be the limiting factor.
    Good math
    True, these numbers correspond, but the data sheet from Fujitsu says that the processor supports 24 Mp at 12 fps.
    With Expeed 3, the processor was the limiting factor (or one of them), but with the 4, there must be other factors, and it's hard to see which ones ... and if protecting the D4s is one of them.
    I have noticed there is always a 30-40% drop in fps from the Fujitsu spec number vs. release in a body. Nikon (as everyone else) applies various scrips, conversion, correction, etc. into the process that eats up processing power. We will see a rate between 6-8 FPS. My math comes in at 8fps (rounded) scaling down from the D4s. That means it could achieve that with the buffer and processor with the battery pack attached.

I have read more and more that press photogs have moved to the Canon 7d primarily for video and it's faster FPS for their work abandoning the pro bodies as many are "contract" (choice and mostly not by choice) and now having to pay for the gear themselves. Ability to do Video is a requirement and Nikon's systems have been just out of sync with that.

Personally I think the Sony a7 series is hitting the nail on the head with the direction of it's system and with pricing. 12, 24, 36mp systems - one very low light video rig (where mp are less important), one resolution behemoth, and one in between to fill the gap. All under $3k. The only draws back people are speaking to is the AF speed (but improved with the A7s) and of course the lack of lenses. The lenses will come and the focusing system will be improved. Once they have a 70-200, and a super wide angle lens that will be quite tempting for many. Nikon keeps following/keeping up with Canon (as they do as well) but I think it would be a better play to look directly behind them and see what Sony is doing to eat away at their sales and match them.

•Formerly TTJ•
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    12, 24, 36 is an interesting mp progression but I might argue Nikon should do 12, 24 and 48 or 50 mp.
    12, 24, 36 is an interesting mp progression but I might argue Nikon should do 12, 24 and 48 or 50 mp.
    I say let's stick with what is available. :)

Another thing that is a very huge deal in many circles is the massive MP counts at this time. Where demand is at for many event photogs, weddings, etc. are immediate uploads of photos during or after an event - semi edited (color corrected, basic adjustments, etc.) and the 24mp can be an issue and the 36mp are an issue. Wireless bandwidth and anything short of a computer just hasn't caught up yet. I'm getting more and more requests for sharing photos while the events are going on, especially at the very beginning so people can post to social media and try to pull more people out to the event. That requires cellular (can't count on wifi anywhere) and a device that can handle Raw file sizes or at a minimum Fine Jpegs. Ipads can't - Microsoft Surface pros can but those are costly, and the "service" of posting is expected, not a chargeable add-on feature.

That is not to say the 750 should be this, but the gap is there and will exist for a few years yet. I've have been looking at a D3100 to fill that gap - but that has it's issues.
    •Formerly TTJ•
    edited September 2014
    The D750 i think will be a straight competitor to the 7D mk II but full frame a.
    The 7D mk II will probably beat the D750 on price and fps

The 7D mk II should be a better camera for bif if you cannot afford, or want to carry, a big super tele lens

When comes to available light photography, portraiture and landscapes The IQ of a 24.3MP full frame sensor should beat a 20.2MP APS-C Sensor
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    It will be interesting to see size and weight; smaller and lighter than a D4s would be an advantage. That kind of begs the question of size and weight of appropriate lenses to match the camera's capabilities. I'd love to see Nikon shed some weight from the product line without compromising optical performance and durability.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    It will be interesting to see size and weight; smaller and lighter than a D4s would be an advantage. That kind of begs the question of size and weight of appropriate lenses to match the camera's capabilities. I'd love to see Nikon shed some weight from the product line without compromising optical performance and durability.
    One of the many tradeoffs.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    So is this D750 the best kept secret Nikon has ever had? We're on the theoretical day of release and virtually no information on this camera other than some old - and maybe unreliable - leaks. Is a bigger surprise coming than we realize? Will this be a flat release? We should know it approx 10 hours from now or if not, than 34 hours ;)
    So is this D750 the best kept secret Nikon has ever had?
    Ha ha ha - no this is very normal. Actually what Admin has received is quite a bit of info.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    Well - Admin never said, what color it'd come in ... other than that, I think it's mostly been covered, and so far, it seems dead on.

So best kept secret.. I don't know.. I'll have my bet on "black".
    Specs are out... 6.5 burst does not an action camera make.
    I was happy with 4 fps with my old F and still am

built in Wi Fi would be good for me, allowing remote action shots