Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• D750newbieD750newbie Posts: 20Member
    Agreed. Planning to use the 24-70 for family shots and the wider lenses for landscapes and others for now. But may get the 35mm for indoors.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    @WestEndBoy. I too used to feel the same way,and then I decided that I wanted to go for a more cinematic look. It's actually harder to do well. Challenge yourself

@750newbie. I wouldn't go wider than about 24mm for family shots; distortion starts to creep in. 35 is ideal for multiple subjects.
    Thanks Pitchblack, the challenge is what makes it interesting.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    @PitchBlack can you post an example of the cinematic look you're going for with the 35 mm?

I'm seriously considering which Kidney to sell to get into a D750 and move into FX
    Aw comeone, for a kidney you should be able to buy the D750 and every upgrade that comes after.
    Trade or sell any thing you have of value (nothing live though). Sell blood and stop alcohol for a while. Will be better for kidney and may be you can save some money?
    I should stop drinking coffee at Starbucks. That is a D810 every year right there.
    Depends if you're drinking latte or just black?
    Triple expresso conpanna. $2.87 * 2 per day plus tea $2.50 * 2 per day
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Been thinking about the sensor on the D750 with the filter over the sensor and what that may due to the sharpness of the images. It made me wonder if Nikon put that filter over the sensor so that the IQ is not so close to the D810. I would have expected the new 24.3-MP FX-format CMOS sensor to not have one like the D7100 & D800E and D810.

Nikon says the image quality that’s nothing short of astounding; with rich colors, beautiful gradation and a vast dynamic range. Love it when Marketing and advertizing gets together. Any way back to my point, bet the DxO values are going to be higher than the D7100 and D610 and is very close to the D800/D810 values. Of course, the D810 has the advantage due to the 36MP.

The other feature that has my interest is that it has the same auto focus and metering system used in the D4S and D810 and EXPEED 4 image processor. Since I take children and people pictures the facial recognition system also has my interest.

Local dealer gets his D750 late next week and I am on his call list. Also going to one of the largest dealer in the Midwest (Indianapolis) next Friday so I expect to get hands on experience IF they get enough for their pre-orders and put one in stock for demo use so customers can "touch-feel-and drool". :P

Comments welcome.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Triple expresso conpanna. $2.87 * 2 per day plus tea $2.50 * 2 per day
    You're lucky you're not living in Switzerland :) . Double espresso CHF 5.60/ $6.0 in Starbucks , each drink with fancy name will set you back a good $7-9 !! .
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    @Photobug : All of the FX cameras with 24MP cameras have AA filters it is really unlikely that they can remove the AA filter at that resolution. its like removing the AA filter on the D200's 10 MP sensor. the resolution is just not high enough.

Looking at DXO's data for the otus. The D800 and D800E has 29 and 33 PMP respectively so the AA on the D800 loses you about 4MP or about 10% of the actual MP. Comparing the D600 and the D610 you get 22 and 23 PMP both have AA. With the D600 you have the 10% MP loss as expected but for the D610 you gain another 5% MP so we should expect at least the same performance on the D750 ie only about 5% loss of sharpness, maybe less. (Actually looking at several of the high end lenses the D600 is at about 8% and the D610 is about 4%.)

But for most lenses which are of "normal" sharpness (as opposed to crazy $harpness of the otus). Like the 50mmF1.8G, the D600,D610 and D800 all register at 16 PMP, so the D750 should also be the same as the lens seems to be is the limiting factor.

So I think that the current perception of Nikon being a Marketing driven company(not that its all bad they do need to make money!) is less accurate as there are technical limitations to removing the AA and it looks like Nikon is engineering solutions to reduce the effect of needing the AA. I think Nikon is much more of an engineering driven organisation than a marketing driven organisation although in recent years it seems to have shifted a bit too much towards the marketing focus with disastrous consequences (D600 rush job). Hopefully its corrected its course and achieves a better balance between a marketing and engineering based corporation with a good dash or innovation mixed in! (note the bad part of being an engineering base company is you end up with great engineering innovative products that no one wants to buy!)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@heartyfisher: Yup agree with that assessment of Nikon going from an Engineering based to Marketing. Will see if the Engineers have taken back some of the past leadership with the products being released. Sure hope so.

Thanks for the summary on the use of the AA filter on Nikon FX bodies. Learned some things from your comments. The PMP rating of the D750 should be high, the question is how high. Guess we will find out after they test the D750.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    @heartyfisher: Yup agree with that assessment of Nikon going from an Engineering based to Marketing. Will see if the Engineers have taken back some of the past leadership with the products being released. Sure hope so.

Thanks for the summary on the use of the AA filter on Nikon FX bodies. Learned some things from your comments. The PMP rating of the D750 should be high, the question is how high. Guess we will find out after they test the D750.
    NP :-)
    I think the D610 with only 4% loss of sharpness on its AA filter is darn good and is a pretty close to the limit so I wont expect much more, even if nikon can improve that by another 25% its improved to 3% on the D750 that 1% would be imperceptible to all intents and purposes. however there is an interesting discovery by the photographylife people (Nasim) when they tested the D810 and that is that although the D810 had minimal improvement in sharpness about 1% it was the result of measurements taken in the centre of the frame. He found that at the edges of the frame there was actually a 10% improvement ! more great news for landscape photographers that use the D810! hopefully some of that Nikon magic dust is sprinkled on the D750 as well.. (typical engineers! make magic that is never known to others ! ! )

PS: thats one of the reasons I like Nikon, you get lots of pleasant little surprises the deeper you dig !eg the offset micro lenses on the CoolpixA. BTW offset micro lenses could account for the 10% improvement on the D810 but its not mentioned anywhere so it could be anything including some tech like ISOCEL from the new samsung sensors or some other feature too small to document and publicise)

I guess i am the similar but opposite of a conspiracy theorist in that I am finding bits of good facts rather than bad facts when I do the research on Nikon technologies.. :-)

oh one more thing the data from most of the lenses tested at DXO shows that 24MP is really more resolving power than most of the lenses costing less than $1500!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Got an email from the manager of one of the local camera store. Their inventory of D750 arrives on Wednesday, September 24 and I got a personal invite to play with the D750. I am taking a memory card along so I will be able to post some pictures.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yee-hah Photobug - cool! Don't shoot them indoors - these modern low energy lights are horrid.
    Always learning.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    @Photobug - oh great, please do go for some low exposure RAW high ISO examples. I'm very interested to see how this sensor performs against the D810 in that regard. I'm assuming once D810 images are appropriately downsampled the differences will be little to none but if by some strange reason Nikon DID In fact manage to deliver a 1/2 stop or so advantage that might be a deal breaker for me.
    @spraynpray - good point about those lights used in stores. I plan to shoot inside and outside if they let me step outside the door.

@JonMcGuffin - I had planned to shoot some high ISO shots in the store and will shoot both RAW and JPEG. I also am looking forward to seeing what the professionals gets when they down sample the D810 files and compare them to the D750. I am not expecting any advantage for the D750 but if their is a 1/2 stop advantage I could see Pros buying one for a backup camera or low light use.
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    edited September 2014
    Just downloaded the Manual for the Nikon 750! I'm so excited! Figured I should read it now, before I get the camera. Not good at reading "before" using items when they're right in front of me!!!! :-B
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
  • PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    @Photobug - would be interested on your take on the spread of the AF points vs other FX bodies with the 51 point module.

Comments are being thrown around that the grouping is smaller and not a lot in it between the 39 point spread in the 610.
    @Postman - will check the spread of the AF points vs D610. My appointment is this afternoon so should have some comments and photos by evening.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'm getting 'in stock now' notifications... Got real bad GAS this evening...
    Always learning.
  • pigeyejacksnpigeyejacksn Posts: 36Member
    So I wonder when vendors will start filling pre-orders? I placed an order through Best Buy. I am embarrassed ti say that, but I was able to use a ton of miles towards it. So now the question becomes is where do they stand in line for getting their shipments in. Anyone getting notices for pre-orders anyplace?
    D750 w/MB-D16 Grip, D300, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, TC-17E II, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 10.5 DX, Tamron 90mm Macro f2.8, Lens Baby Composer, SB-700, Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND Filter.
    http://www.photographsbyrob.com
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    A local New England chain, Hunt's Photo, is saying the stores should have inventory to fill pre-orders Thursday or Friday. My salesman thinks Thursday afternoon.
    edited September 2014
    NOTE...he let me see the D750 one day early.

This afternoon I had the opportunity to handle and shoot the new Nikon D750. Here are my initial impressions and observations based upon a limited amount of time in the store and standing outside.
    The local camera dealer had two in stock at the store I visited and more at their other stores. The manager put a Nikon 28-300mm F/3.5-5.6 EDVR AFS lens on the body and said have fun. I inserted my memory card and checked out the camera.
    Pro’s
    1. Nice size slightly bigger than the D7100 and definitely smaller than the D810. Fit’s my middle size hands nicely. The new ergonomically grip is larger than my D7100 and my long gone D300 and D200. It’s deeper (front to back) and is easy to hold with just the right hand.
    2. Control layout is excellent. I found it interesting that besides the “AE/AF” button on the back was room for a “AF” button. Front and back buttons are sized for smooth operation.
    3. It’s nice to see the U1 & U2 settings on the top panel. Great flexibility for quick access to settings.
    4. Menu’s looked familiar and would be easy to master for Nikon users.
    5. As a DX users for years it was nice seeing a larger viewfinder.
    6. Buffer size - see below for comments
    7. 51 AF spots
    8. Not sure the location of the Function button is good or bad. Location is good but with the redesigned grip, there is considerable distance from the back of the grip area. Most people will probably adjust to the higher height.

Con’s
    1. The AF spots are closer together than my D7100. I asked for a D610 to compare the spread of the AF spots and they were out of stock on the D610 and no D600’s in their used cameras. I memorized the spacing using the reference information across the bottom in the finder. When I got home I pulled out my D7100 and sure enough, my spots are spaced out closer to the edge than the D750. Although I have used the D600 with 39 AF spots I know they are closer to the center but can’t say if the D750 and D610/D600 are identical or not. My hunch is that the D750 AF spots fall between the D610 and D7100. Why?

See part 2 in the next message.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    edited September 2014
    Part 2 of 3
    Comments
    I gave up last year waiting for the D300S replacement (D400) and bought the D7100 as an interim DX DSLR body - great move. Then the D9300 rumor started. Over the last quarter I decided to move on to the full frame format and did not need the D810 36MP and wanted something better than the D610 entry level FX DSLR. I can tell you after shooting and playing with the D750 it feels like a better camera. I especially like the solid sound of the shutter. It’s at the top of my list for a future purchase.

I shot pictures in JPEG and RAW and will review and post some of them over the next several days.

To evaluate the buffer size, I did turn the dial to “CL” and shot continuously for 10 seconds in RAW and the buffer did not fill up. Assume this was at 3 fpm but did not confirm the factory setting. It did fluctuate between 6 and 7 shots in the viewfinder counter. I was impressed. In my humble opinion the D750 fits the BIF (bird-in-flight)requirements and as a “action camera” - whatever that means.

My initial impression is that Nikon has hit a home run with the D750. No it may not be perfect (AF spot spacing) but it sure felt good and looks like a great alternative to the D810 for those pros and advanced amateurs who don’t need 36MP. If the image quality, noise level and color accuracy are as good or better than a D610, they will be back ordered for months.

I look forward to the professional reviews, DxO testing results, and more specific information on the spacing of the AF spots. My recommendation, make a visit to your local dealer. This model looks like an excellent addition to Nikon’s FF DSLR’s.
    ==============================================
    Let me get to work and post some pictures to Flickr so I can upload here.
    Post edited by Photobug on