Speedlight Gobos - Grids/Snoots/Flags/etc

Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon Flashes
I saw a need for a Gobo thread for items that attach to your Speedlight. Grids/Snoots/Flags/etc

Share what you use, looking for, DIY solutions and ask questions on what you are trying to achieve.

(Gobo - Go in-Between. I have no clue why that name is use, but has been for over a century.)

For LightBlaster go here
Post edited by Bokeh_Hunter on
•Formerly TTJ•
Tagged:

Comments

• Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Pulled over from Lightblaster thread:
    Just heard about this today http://www.lastolite.com/product_list/1066883.1067112.1067118.0.0/Strobo_Gobo
    That is a new one! Those or something similar by other companies have been out for a while for speedlights but that is a new attachment system I haven't seen before. I have used a version of the multi lines (replicate shades) and the widow pane effect a few times. They work well - but you can also make your own easily.
    Sort of on topic.. Has anyone tried this and if so what do you think of it?
    http://magnetmod.com/shop/magmod-basic-kit/
    I have heard really good things about those - and I actually would like to dump all the Velcro stuff I have for them but at $100+ for the kit I would use for each flash (x5 units that I own) that is a bit steep. Especially when I can buy grids for $10 and a sheet of CTO for $5, Rosco gell pack for $15, and 60yds of Gaffer tape and use that for over 4 years (have yet to run out) the convenience of it is a bit expensive.

Both of those should be on a different thread - I'll make one. :)
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Take a look at the lastolite strobo system. All the bits, but gobo patterns may be a bit limited.
    Always learning.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited September 2014
    I've used black construction paper for DIY snoots in the past. I do have a Rogue flashbender that I could roll up and use as a snoot as well. The "large" flashbender is OK at best as a flag but it's still relatively small to be used for that purpose.
    I also have a HonlPhoto 1/8 inch grid that velcro's onto the SB-9xx flash head and it's pretty good at containing the spread of light. I also keep several pieces of black foamcore laying around and have used them as DIY flags, gaff taped to lights for some of my (few) composite photos. My Flickr stream has a few photos that I used all of these to create ... from colored smoke billowing from incense cones in wine glases to various fruit on black velvet backgrounds, and the composites.

I want to do more with these in portraiture because I think it creates really dramatic photos such as lighting the face but having everything below the neckline rapidly fade to dark. A pure softbox just blasts everything and trying to create that look in post doesn't always render the result sought after.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Well I might be crazy and I understand the cost but I just ordered the Magmod kit. I'll give it a try and see if it lives up to the cost. I generally only carry two speed lights but I often want to control the light. I do carry some black foil and it works ok but when outdoors it can be a pain. We'll see and I'll post some photos with it in use.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Rogue Flashbender and I really like it. I like the ability to make it a snoot.
    This is what I use from the above post:
    Opteka OSG18 1/8-Inch Universal Honeycomb Grid - $10. By far the best deal in grids. Built like tanks.(they also have 1/4" & 1/6" grids as well.)
    Rosco The Strobist Collection $14
    Lee 1/4 & 1/2 Orange (CTO), 20x24" Color Correcting Lighting Filter $11
    Polyken 510 Premium Grade Gaffers Tape: 1 in. x 60 yds $18
    The prices reflect Amazon's prices today.

I also have a Rogue ROGUEGRID 3-In-1 Stacking Honeycomb Grid $50. It is great but for when I found the $10 Opteka grids I never looked back.

•Formerly TTJ•
    OK, as promised here is a quick test of the Magmod Kit. Just received it today. Threw it on my SB910 and attached to my D700 for a quick test. I'm really impressed with the control. I purchased an extra grid and glad I did. Magmod says one grid provides 40 degrees and two grids is 20 degrees. Anyway, no scientific test here, just a quick look at what the light control looks like.

Magmod_Kit
    I picked up the Opteka grids in 3 sizes 1/8 1/4 and 1/6.
    Thanks for the thread Bokeh Hunter.
    edited September 2014
    What are you guys using for Speedlight Beauty dish?
    Here is a new option that i saw http://www.roundflash.com/roundflash_dish

Eventually I may just get rid of my Strobes and stick to speedlights thats why I'm looking into these accesories.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    edited September 2014
    Hadn't seen that one before. It's interesting but it doesn't quite fit the design. Beauty dish design is to bounce the light back and spread it around dish - hence the parabolic design. I'm not sure how well that would work except for the catch lights in the eyes - which could be the focus or not.

I had a simple 16" one used with a speedlight bowens mount that worked great. Not quite like a Mola but it did what it was suppose to do. The real difference between $60 and $200 ones is very small. I can see a difference with Mola and some of the other high-end really nice (and expensive) ones but it's not a big difference.

After mine got flattened by a 8yr old and I picked up a Phottix Luna 27.5", 70cm Folding Beauty Dish for Studio Flash, White and it works preaty good overall - not quite the same light as a normal beauty dish and the light catches the internal frame and showes in the eyes but it does the basic job. I have actually have learned to like it as it is a bit different. The thing I like about it the most is that it is collapsible and rigid so it works well outdoors in the wind.

Interfit just released a 40" version for $90 and I'll probably pick a couple of those up to replace some flappy softboxes. Interfit actually just released a whole new line of foldable boxes that I really like the idea of and would like to get my hands on some to try out.

If one is just looking for the round catchlights in the eyes I use an Orbis ring flash that I find quite soft and flattering. The only thing I don't like about that is how it causes the tilt on most flashes to "snap" down and can't hold the weight of the design.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited September 2014
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ5UO1S/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00BQ5UO1S&linkCode=as2&tag=planeneilphot-20&linkId=362RSMEOM5ICZ727

Something to consider. I actually want one but can't seem to make myself click the BUY button.

Neil VanNeikerk has a little writeup about flagging your speedlight "inside" of the softbox in order to control the spread of light comig out of it. This is worth a try because it just might keep me from spending money on a softbox grid.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flagging-your-back-light-flash-with-bft/
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

edited September 2014
    I have played with that one - not bad at all, just expensive. One thing it does do better than many is direct the light more due to it's deeper and steeper walls which can be really nice. Westcott has good products, but you are paying for the name over quality IMHO. When you can find similar products for 1/3 the price it is hard to justify it. That said, I have no doubt that anyone would be very happy with it. That size (26") is just about right for a lot of work though.

Another brand "Firefly" & SMDV (rebranded as others) also have similar set-ups and I think those look (and reviewed) to be better built. They are pricy as well though.

Something to think about, I use a few of these:
    Fotodiox Umb-Soft-43-R Fotodiox Premium Grade Studio Umbrella Softbox
    @$20 you can't beat the price, and the light is really good with speedlights. I use those a lot on location with groups for their size (43") and they travel well. The really nice thing is that I can get multiple speedlights in one to increase the power for outdoor shoots.
    •Formerly TTJ•
    @Vipmediastar_JZ, Magmod just sent me an email talking about the new improved system. The shocking part was, they are sending me the new upgraded system because I had recently purchased the original. That's customer service at it's best.
    Great to hear. I heard other people are getting 30.00 off the sale price. Yours is the best deal enjoy and I'm tempted but I got the 10.00 ones from amazon recently.
    That is interesting - $50 bucks though?!? I'll wait for the version from Hong Kong.
    •Formerly TTJ•