The new 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR with the AF-S Teleconverter TC800-1.25E ED?

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited December 2013 in Nikon Lenses
This should be in the humor section, but if anyone has comments on this new combination, this is the place to post. At a cost of nearly USD $20,000 with the TC, this may not be a lens used by many.

So, place all your lust and envy here, please.
Post edited by Msmoto on
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Have you ordered yours yet Tommie? :P
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    :)) :)) :))

My computer keyboard has drools on it......

Of course, if I win the Lotto for a hundred million dollars...for sure!
    Msmoto, mod
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    A very special item w/few special uses. I see goverments as a buyer and tabloid trashpapers.

framer
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    I couldn't find the weight listed anywhere. Anybody see that?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2013
    I couldn't find the weight listed anywhere. Anybody see that?
    Approx

6.3 x 18.2 in. (Diameter x Length)
    160 x 461mm (Diameter x Length)
    161.6 oz. (4590g)

(lighter than the 400mm f 2.8)

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    To be fair, it's under $18,000. And the teleconverter is included.
    I just don't get the relative pricepoint. Consider these pairings (not a bad lens in the bunch...)

200mm f/2 vs 300mm f/2.8
    Add on 50% focal length, lose a stop.
    The difference between the two is negligible in price. Both roughly $5500.

400mm f/2.8 vs 600mm f/4
    Add on 50% focal length, lose a stop.
    The difference in price is usually a few hundred dollars. Both roughly $10K.

600mm f/4 now vs. 800 f/5.6 and/or effective 1000mm f/7.1
    Add on 33% to 66% focal length, lose a stop or somewhat more.
    The difference in price is...75%? Really?

I also think the TC is a red herring designed to drive up the price. I would love to see a realistic situation constructed where the 1000mm gets the shot that the unadorned 800mm with a wee crop misses.

I don't get it, so this one's clearly not for me.

• BlinkingeyeBlinkingeye Posts: 21Member
    A few points. As I read it the TC is specific to the 800mm. Thus, it is optimized performance for that lens alone.

Shawnino, I agree the price(s) are astronomical. I believe and have always said lens price is based on two points, well besides profit: 1) diameter of the ground glass and 2) number of pieces produced.

Now with all that said yes, I have lens lust. I want one for going to Yellowstone and Glacier.

1. How long until one can actually be fondled by the average guy?

2. What will the street price actually be, what can you actually buy one for and what is the lead time?

3. When with the rental house(s) actually have a copy and what with the rental price be?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2013
    what would be interesting to see is, a comparison of the infamous photo of our future queen taken with a 600 and a teleconverter to one taken with this combination
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Blinkingeye raises an interesting point: This does seem to be a completely custom TC. Makes me wonder if Nikon would ever make custom TCs retroactively for 600 f/4, 400 f/2.8, etc.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    @ Blinkingye
    1. a long time
    2. a lot, not much less than street price, several months
    3. a year, probably more than your vacation

:)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    So what does this really mean? (quote from imaging.Nikon.com):
    Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism is incorporated for enhanced stability in auto exposure control during continuous shooting even when the teleconverter is used (Not compatible with the D2 series, D1 series, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70 series, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, 35mm film cameras)
    So what did Nikon add/change in the f-mount that would prevent this list of bodies from working...
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    So far, the aperture actuation of Nikon lenses is mechanically transmitted from body to lens. The new one has own actuators for that, which are quicker than every possible mechanic transmission would be.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @Ironheart: It may not be a physical mount difference but an electronic capability incorporated on the newer models.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    It is a physical difference - the aperture lever is missing on this 800mm lens. And the old bodies don't have the contacts for the electrical actuated diaphragm.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Well I must say, this bad boy sure is lovely to look at and would make every photographer that knows anything about "big guns" lust after this lens. Lets hope we are all lucky enough one day to mount it on our camera and shoot with it. Tell then, I will just have to wait and see what it produces on-line. For me this lens would be a "dust collector" due to the fact that I'm not the intended user. I would have far more use of the 300 2.8 than this...not to mention save myself some $$$.

To whom ever get this amazing lens, by all means share your photo's...cheers.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    This lens could pay for itself with one celebrity paparazzi shot. Just have to be in the right place at the right time :-)

It should come with NPS membership and a press badge ;-)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If one can afford this lens, it is easy to get a press pass and NPS membership..... Almost any amateur who can crank out this kind of money will have the connections most of us do not. When your sherpa unloads this out of the lower bay of your Prevost 2 million dollar motorhome, trust me..the rest is easy.

Remember, i said this thread should be in the humor section.

I am interested to see some of the images at original size and examine the difference between this and the 400mm f/2.8 plus the TC-20EIII. If there is a $9,000 difference...mmm?

Maybe the real difference is in shooting at f/5.6. I am certain there is an advantage over the 400 + TC2 wide open and the 800 at f/5.6.

And, possibly some of the professional wildlife folks on NRF will go for this lens. OK, a guest post on the main blog will do.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    If this lens does become available for rent, thus allowing me to get my hands on it, I will offer this to our members: Should you join us for our upcoming gathering in Colorado, then you will have a change to play with it. Now who's up for it?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Nikon told Roberts April delivery and I am first on their list. I think it will be a blast and I will bring it to the July NRF gathering in Colorado.

Denver Shooter
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The question is, when will you actually get one? Nikon puts them into the hands of NPS member first. I doubt production is very high, so you could be waiting a while. I thought I heard a while ago from someone that they had to wait 4-6 months to get the 600mm F4, so I can only imagine how long you'd be waiting for the 800mm.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Time to mount a V1 on the end of it!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I've got a client who has the money. I'll ask.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    I am interested to see some of the images at original size and examine the difference between this and the 400mm f/2.8 plus the TC-20EIII. If there is a $9,000 difference...mmm?
    Yeah it's a shame: Nikon is doing a lot of buzz to their restarted picture gallery thingy, where one could upload NEF files as well - instead of only showing big examples, they have some postcard size pics of the lens which could be taken by a remote controlled iPhone as well.