What bag are you using...?

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited November 2014 in General Discussions
I was thinking about making a generic thread just for camera bags, sort of like the "Too lazy to start a new thread..." thread, but just for camera bags suggestions. I got a Sony RX100 and although I have a general idea about what I want, I'm not sure if it fits or not. I kind of want a pouch style camera bag so that I can store the camera around a belt. So what bag do you guys use for those who own a RX100 or a similarly sized large compact?

I was thinking about the LowePro Portland 20. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    these here seem intriguing... not sure they'll work for dslrs, though...
    http://www.cosyspeed.com/#!camslinger-105-and-160/cspq
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I like my Lowepro Nova 200AW and Toploader 70AW. The second body meant the Nova got too heavy and full for the health of the gear and my back so I got the Toploader as well and it is good for when I take only one camera and lens out with me. I don't get on with back packs as they are too long winded and a struggle, the Flipside is a great idea that doesn't work for me so that pretty much only leaves the Nova shoulder type bag for me. I like that I can use the flat top when I change lenses.

Prolly no good for a little cam tho.
    Always learning.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    There are plenty of solutions out there, but see if you can stick to one series... What I mean is; if you purchase a Toploader from Lowepro today, then you should do your research and know that you can satisfy other needs with Lowepro gear as well. If you stick to one brand/series, then they easily interconnect and your straps are the same size etc. etc.

I use Lowepro, from the Toploader Pro 70 AW II, Lens Cases, Utility Belt, and the Technical Harness, to my trusty Flipside 500 AW...

Of course I have been through the typical array of other brands, Tamrac, Think Tank, and Vanguard, but Lowepro has just such a vast selection that they won me over.

For traveling I have it all in Peli Cases (1510s) with Trekpak inserts.

Protect your gear well and it will last forever...
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am building a belt system with think tank but looking elsewhere too. I may end up with a highbred system. I have a tarmac shoulder bag that is getting too heavy and still small for my newer gear. I has lasted me nearly 50 years and shows little signs of wear. Having things on my belt makes for fast access and is easy on my back.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I generally use a Lowepro Flipside 300, nice bag. Nothing fancy, but it can hold a 300mm F2.8 mounted on a D800 size body, when configured properly. I also have a Lowepro Classified 160AW, but that tends to be used for when I want to travel light, such as working with a set of primes or compact zooms, since it's a shoulder bag.

When I'm not out and about most of my gear is stored in a Pelican 1520 case, very handy indeed.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I think there are really two types of bags in use...there are the "carrying stuff" bags and the "shooting from this" bags. For the former I use CaseLogic, and the latter I used to use LowePro and now use ThinkTank or a custom bag that I outfitted from Zara (its really hard to find a shoulder bag that will carry attached teles longer than 300 LOL). I recommend ThinkTank as they are designed very well, but their bags are slightly heavier than the LowePro's.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I use the old tamrac to carry, I am out growing it, and the think tank to shoot from.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited November 2014
    I have 4 Lowepro bags
    Flipside 400 D800 + 3 or 4 lenses and a flash
    Flipside 300 D800 16-35 + 24-120 It would would carry more but I don't like this bag crammed full
    Magnum 650 AW holds everything. Great if have an assistant to carry it
    Pro Trekker 650 AW rarely used unless I have to carry a lot of gear, a long way
    If I need to change lens fast; I use Think Tank lens changers on a belt and harness
    plus a black rapid strap and a Spider holster
    The latter is complicated to fit, makes you look like an anorak and takes time to get into , but it does the job
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2014
    I, too, have a few bags made by Lowepro (Pro Trekker 400AW & Pro Roller 200)...very well made products, highly recommended. I also have a medium size backpack by CaseLogic. Whenever I go out shooting, locally, this case comes with me.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Flipside 300 here. D5200 w 17-55. Also carry 300 F4, 105 F2.8, 35 F1.8 and SB400...batteries, chargers, cleaning stuff, memory cards and sometimes have my monopod strapped to it. I can also shove my D5000 and a small lens in it if necessary or squeeze me S31 in.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • klrklrklrklr Posts: 2Member
    Hi Folks, FNG here. I have an old Lowepro Nova 5 that I used to lug my film gear around in. For my recent foray into the digital world, I found it was far bigger than I needed. So, I've picked up a LowePro Stealth Reporter D200 AW. I'm guessing it's half to two thirds the size of the old 5 and laid out more usefully for me needs now.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I use many bags: generally I collect the gear I plan to take an then use the smallest bag which holds that gear. I usually opt for a rectangular bag which can sit on the floor and opens at the top. But sometimes I use a backpack bag which holds more gear. If I am parking by the side of the road and walking into the woods a short distance I will often just mount my camera/lens on a tripod and carry it with the tripod across my shoulder. Some tripods have foam pads on the upper legs which work well for this.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Kata for backpacks and PortaBrace for hauling gear.

Denver Shooter
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    The Lens Taxi from ThinkTank is my favorite. I originally got it for my 400 2.8 but it comes with inserts to set up as a general use bag and works wonderful.

framer
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Interesting to see all the gear and bag variations. Now I understand why girls need so many bags. :D

I forgot to add that I have a LowePro Event Messenger 100, which I needed because I got the D7000 and the old bag I have was too small. That carries everything I have if I needed to- the 105mm, the 18-135mm and the 35mm 1.8 DX if I needed to, but I'd have to have the 105mm mounted.

I usually don't do macro with the 35mm, I usually take one prime or the other, so my stuff fits pretty well.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    The Lens Taxi from ThinkTank is my favorite. I originally got it for my 400 2.8 but it comes with inserts to set up as a general use bag and works wonderful.

framer
    Are you shooting from the bag? It would seem you would have to be annoying careful to unzip it without setting it down on the ground first.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    5 years back, I got a Lowepro Inverse 100 for my D60, 18-105, and one prime (35 or 50). Eventually got an SB400, so it started to get full. It's very outdoorsy. Good for hiking with the weight management benefits of hip belt padding. But swinging it around from storage mode (buttpack mode) to the front for access was always a little cumbersome a process for say, changing a lens, and I don't love walking with it in front of me fulltime for difficult-to-verbalize male reasons. For urban use, I get self-conscious because it broadcasts "Camera In Here!" The zipper is starting to get stuck now too.

Aside: I like shallow bags. Don't have any 6" lenses yet. It's easier to see what's in there. So if you're working with smaller mirrorless gear, that's something you can think about.

Recently upgraded to D7100, and the bag, to a Retrospective 7. It feels more all-purpose and flexible. The messenger-bag flap opens more easily than the pull-zipper-top. It slides from front to side to back seamlessly and remains in any between position easily. So I can go from strapless shooting with lenses right in front of me, and tucking the camera back in the bag very quickly / to screwing in a BlackRapid strap to have the body out and on me full-time, with the bag on my opposite hip or in back.

So at the moment, I'm really digging the messenger bag style and flexibility. It's especially good for urban, or car travel and tourism use.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have several bags, and they get used for different shooting venues. I think if I could do it all again, I would try to go into a place like B & H or Adorama and check out the bags directly. So often one of my bags will be a little too small, to short, too something.

But like anything else, having the exact correct equipment in photography is a lot about money. I think I like the type I can use as a backpack, especially useful for carrying something like a 400mm f/2.8 with a couple bodies, lots of weight, best suited for carrying on my back. And, in venues where one must be mobile, the LowePro flip packs are very useful....think NAIAS in January :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    I am still looking for a bag for my d750.... My bag was bought to keep my previous D5300 and it fits perfeclt, but my D750 fits too tight... I was at B&H a month ago and after 2 hours, didnt find something that i liked and don't scream "hey.. I am a camera bag,"
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If you want something that doesn't look like a camera bag, you either need to buy something very expensive (fashionable stuff), or modify a normal shoulder bag or backpack yourself. Not the greatest answer, but the most realistic one.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I am still looking for a bag for my d750.... My bag was bought to keep my previous D5300 and it fits perfeclt, but my D750 fits too tight... I was at B&H a month ago and after 2 hours, didnt find something that i liked and don't scream "hey.. I am a camera bag,"
    +1 to @MsMoto - go to the store and touch and open every bag. The last time I bought a bag I was there for 30 minutes and the asst store manager came over and told me to keep looking and let her know if I needed a DSLR or lens for fit checks. I got lots of strange looks when I put my two finalist side-by-side and opened them on the floor for direct comparison. The time before that it was almost an hour. Know what you want the bag for and what goes into the bag.

Don't over look the higher priced ThinkTank and LowePro bags. They are excellent.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    After looking at several bags I went for a cheap and cheerful insert . Cost me 10 $ . Now my computer carrying backpack can hold 2 cameras and 2 lenses. D7000 d610 70-200 f4 + tam 24-70 f2.8 lus space for stuff
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited November 2014
    If you want something that doesn't look like a camera bag, you either need to buy something very expensive (fashionable stuff), or modify a normal shoulder bag or backpack yourself. Not the greatest answer, but the most realistic one.
    That's a great idea and one that I forgot to mention earlier.

That's the method I used when I had my D40 around because it was a relatively small 2 lens kit with the 18-135 and the 35mm 1.8, both DX lenses. I have a Lowepro Rezo 160 that fits right into the largest compartment of a Jansport backpack. It's incredibly stealthy when my camera's in it and fits a lot of other travel gear I need to. If I need to fit my D7000 with 105mm macro it would definitely not fit but it worked well when I was traveling in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

It would be a good option for a mirrorless camera system though too.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I think I have more bags than my wife.

I picked up a tenba messenger bag to replace my swiss gear messenger bag. I needed the d810+battery grip with 70-200 2.8 to fit and while it fits in the swiss gear bag along with the extras and a flash the fit is a bit too snug preventing from quickly taking it out and putting it back without a hassle.

This tenba bag that I picked was on special for 30.00 and the last at the local store with no model number. I looked online at several sites and even tenba doesn't have this product listed.
    I really like messenger bags.
    I also have a nikon messenger bag which is great but a bit too big in the height deparment for a daily bag.

I'll be looking to replace my laptop/camera bag in the next year as the current one is wearing out.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Vipmediastar_JZ - What is it with ladies and their bags and photographers with their bags? =))
    Some people have four and five bags. I used one bag for 15 years and then picked one out and my wife bought it for my BDay many years ago. That lasted until I converted to digital and then got a huge Lowpro back pack and then after six months got a small Lowpro back pack. Learned that if you buy a big bag you will fill it and the weight was too much for my back.

Then sold the huge Lowpro back pack for a ThnkTank International bag with rollers. Had that bag 2-3 years and sold it for $25 less than I paid for it. Loved that bag. Kept the small backpack for hikes and weekend trips.

Now I have to sell a brand new one that I just got from B&H - part of the "freebies" when you buy a DSLR. It's going on Craig's List tonight.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |