The new 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR with the AF-S Teleconverter TC800-1.25E ED?

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @DenverShooter Please keep us updated on your 800mm. I hope you get it before July...that is when we will be in Colorado...so maybe you will bring it along so some of us can get to see and if possible play with it.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, this new thing does have the latest VR...4 f/stops. So, can you handhold it at 1/60th of a second? Maybe this is kinda like using a sniper rifle....one has a very good base to hit something at 1500 yards.
    Msmoto, mod
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    I'll keep my money for that Acura that Msmoto photographed the other day!
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Teleconverted my 600mm F/4 with my TC 20 E III and in some instances that is insufficient. Which is why I ordered the 800mm.

Birds at large distances and wildlife with big teeth kind of a thing.

Denver Shooter
    @DenverShooter Please keep us updated on your 800mm. I hope you get it before July...that is when we will be in Colorado...so maybe you will bring it along so some of us can get to see and if possible play with it.
    If I receive it by then it will be in the truck!

Denver Shooter
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    DS: Insufficient in what way? Sharpness? If you're insufficient for length, the 800 won't help.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    Indeed, maximum sharpness, even with super telephoto lenses is still going to be at distances less than 50 meters. Beyond 50 meters atmospheric conditions start to break down detail.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Indeed, maximum sharpness, even with super telephoto lenses is still going to be at distances less than 50 meters. Beyond 50 meters atmospheric conditions start to break down detail.
    Depends. I was out shooting the local Porsche Club annual ice race on a frozen lake a couple of weeks back and the air temp and the ice temp worked out just fine for me to use the my 600mm at significantly longer distances that 50 meters and retain plenty of sharpness.

You can run into issues with heat rising off from lakes while shooting birds in the early morning at 500 yard distances. its something you pay attention to in those situations.

But its not quite as cut and dry as saying there is a 50M maximum distance to retain maximum sharpness based upon atmospherics.. There are lots of different atmospheres...

Denver Shooter
    True. :)
  • El_PickerelEl_Pickerel Posts: 18Member
    Hey cool, it's only half my yearly salary.

Also...a built-in aperture motor and fluorite glass? Hmm... is Canon playing a joke on us? :P
    I am laughing when Golf says we can "play with it" LOL...

I will look at it from a distance, but that is about all. Maybe they will introduce some other TC's such as a 1.4x....?
    Msmoto, mod
    @Msmoto: If I see that lens anywhere within my reach, you can count on me in getting my hands on it. Hell, if I see a 300 2.8, 400 2.8, 500 or 600MM I will do the same. Keep in mind, if I can get a complete stranger to hand me his $20,000+ Hasselblad on a strange beach, I' sure a fellow NR member would be kind enough to let me slap my D4 on it and play with it. There is no harm in trying ;)
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    :)) The super teles are fun to play with. I loved the 300mm F2.8G VR II I rented last year, but it an't a toy!
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys...

framer
    Girls have fun as well, Sweetie. But, if one is serious about purchasing one of these, as Denver Shooter is, then the end use may justify it. As I have said before, somewhere, I photograph race cars. And these folks are spending $10,000-20,000 in a weekend of racing when they have a crew. And, if one has the unfortunate problem of trashing a race car it gets into the $100,000 range quickly. My camera gear is less than some spend in a weekend.

So, as you can tell, I am working on rationalizing this lens.....LOL only joking.... :))
    Msmoto, mod
    @Msmoto You never know when you're going to take that $10,000 shot. ;)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You'd have to take two $10K shots to pay for this puppy :-D
    And I should mention that the teleconverter is according to Nikon individually "tuned" to the specific lens..
  • SanookSanook Posts: 66Member
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by Sanook on
    I am buying my Lotto ticket today....
    Msmoto, mod
    Golf007sd's link and a couple other places say "expect prices to fall once dealers start discounting". That's can't be accurate, can it, particularly in the US?

The n-photo link happened to be UK, but I thought Nikon was rather cracking the whip on pricing lately?
    Nikon USA has been enforcing MSRP, but that is not the case with all national distributors.
    We've actually been running a little bit better up here in Canada, but GST/HST eats most of the savings.
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    I considered buying this lens (yeah, right) when it becomes available, but then realized that I could get the new FJR1300 I've been looking at, and still have cash left over for the hypothetical D400 and a bunch of other toys. I don't think I need the lens as badly as I thought.