D610 Followup - D620 / D650

13»

Comments

• nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited March 2015
    Care to add a price and a theory as to what happens to the D750 and D810 Nuk?
    D650 Price would be around $1995 for the body only.

As for the D750 your guess is good as mine.

D850 my ideal specs

38-44 MP CMOS with no OLPF
    Expeed 4B Processor
    6FPS up from 5 on D810.
    12 Frames continuos shooting in 14 Bit Raw
    JPEG: if anybody shoots JPEG with D810, he or she has thrown away $3500 down the drain. :p
    Body :Same overall design as D810 but with more carbon fiber
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    :)) =)) :))
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

Have you shot the D750? is is not too shabby I can tell you! It beats the D800 in low light too.

I might well have bought a D750 had it come out before my D800
    improvements to my D800? reduce the weight and increase the buffer size and dynamic range
    These days, i mainly shoot landscapes, so don't need high ISO values or more fps
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    D750 sensor in a D800 body would do nicely for me.
    Why on earth would Nikon cripple the D800 by giving it only 24 mp :) =))
    S&P please do not take this seriously :)
    No, seriously seven, removing some of the crippling and putting the D750 in a D800 body would be a sensible upgrade if they were to do the things Nuk suggested to the D610. The next upgrade to the D8XX could be 54mp so it would still have plenty of delineation between the D7XX and the D8XX. Nobody said put the 24mp sensor in the D800 instead of the 36mp.

Have you shot the D750? is is not too shabby I can tell you! It beats the D800 in low light too.

I think upgrading the D610 and D750 would be an error. Those cameras are perfect for the intended market. I think Nikon should (and is) focusing on reducing the prices of these cameras to open up FX to more people. To that end, when sensor prices decline enough, they should bring out a D400 and D500 to replace the D3xxx and D5xxx respectively. The D610 is the natural replacement for the D7xxx.
    , they should bring out a D400
    for lovers of "I am sorry i havnt a clue" is the D400 the equivariant of mornington to cresent
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I call deviation!
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You guys are scaring me. +1 D400!
    If a D400 comes out, I will buy one, and very slowly eat it. I'll take the f***ing thing apart and slowly consume it.
    My version that I am suggesting is a introductory consumer model, say $450. It will be plastic, so you won't break to many teeth when you eat it.

Ironic that we could see a camera with a D400 model number like this, but the numbering system suggests it. And Nikon has never said anything about a D400. That is an invention of D310 wannabees. But maybe we can look forward to a D350?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Very funny "off topic comments on the D400".

Getting back to the D610/D650. The next upgrade to the D610 should be minor to maintain the delta between the D610 and D750. As the entry level FX, as others have said, they need to keep the price point low. Hopefully we can move forward with more on this topic. Just trying to nudge the conversation in the right direction for this thread.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    LOL "minimally serviceable" I cant think of any modern digital camera from the top 10 camera manufacturers that fits that description. :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    Surely the D610 will not be replaced before the D810 is replaced, but do Nikon really need 3 lines of high resolution FX bodies (if they are to continue with the DX line)

(didn't forget the Df, just ignored it :-) )
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
    If Apple were running Nikon, .
    From the main BLOG Apple iTunes app engineers are rumored to be currently working on a new secret project with Nikon USA at the main campus in Cupertino

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2015/03/08/weekly-nikon-news-flash-305.aspx/#ixzz3TsSHWFkn
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    edited March 2015
    Ok I have read all your analysis. Was sitting here thinking outside the box.

I seen in quite few interviews Nikon reps saying they are NOT abandoning DX, This as well as the total lack of new DX lenses. Seems to point toward something new.

Maybe the reason the D400 is not here is they are planning something BIG. I am thinking a new MOUNT for DX Mirrorless. With a range of DX lenses optimized for shorter flange distances. This would be a Nikon 1 on steroids.

Imagine 10+ fps, contrast focus like the Nikon 1, 24 Megpixels, close to FX performance, smaller camera by quite a deal compared to FX, all in DX frame size. When you add the lack of the D300 replacement and lack of DX lenses. This could be THE NEXT BIG THING.

In fact it would be a fantastic platform and would shake the other companies MFThirds and Mirroless FX solutions to the core. I would buy one.

Comments ????
    Post edited by tektrader on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @tektrader

I am in this camp... Nikon may be developing a mirrorless DX, one which could use all the "F" mount lenses, also may have shorter flange distance for other lens features.
    Msmoto, mod
    I think the time has passed for that .. If/when nikon does go mirrorless it will probably be the same mount for both DX and FX.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    When Nikon updates the D610, and they will, it will have some "improvements," updates always do. But the body will remain in its class as the least expensive FX body not having features found in the more expensive FX bodies. Exactly what "improvements" will be added we cannot now say, partially because we don't know what Nikon is planning to offer in the FX bodies above the D610 update.
    In the "F" days, upgrades where rare. I think that to some extent, we will return to those days. Sensors will only become so good after which an upgrade will become pointless as lenses will be the IQ bottleneck.

In less than 10 years, FX sensors will range from 36ish to 72ish megapixels, even on Nikon's entry level FX camera, which will look like a D3xxx/D5xxx and cost $500ish dollars. Nikon will cease DX lens updates and I predict that all F-mount cameras will be FX.

I think this will be the real story of this decade. The D6xx is just part of that process.
    edited March 2015
    In the "F" days, upgrades where rare. I think that to some extent, we will return to those days. Sensors will only become so good after which an upgrade will become pointless as lenses will be the IQ bottleneck.

In less than 10 years, FX sensors will range from 36ish to 72ish megapixels, even on Nikon's entry level FX camera, which will look like a D3xxx/D5xxx and cost $500ish dollars. Nikon will cease DX lens updates and I predict that all F-mount cameras will be FX.

I think this will be the real story of this decade. The D6xx is just part of that process.
    That's a possibility ..
    Let my suggest a scenario continuing from that strategy ..

Within the next few years the Mirrorless Systems will start to take over.
    The Fuji and Sumsung DX Mirrorless systems will start eating into the Nikon and and Canon FX markets. The FX market will continue to shrink while the DX market will expand % wise. Nikon will need to expand their DX range to compete if they want to survive but it may be too late just like their Coolpix Market has been eaten by competitors so will their DX market bec they did not focus on it in time. In 10 years, prices for DX mirrorless will be in the $200-$300, fits in your pocket and will work seamlessly with apple communication devices.

Sigma will start producing modular cameras where you can put different DX sensors from samsung, fuji, toshiba, sony, aptina or sigma and lenses from nikon, canon or sigma or any other mount.

D610 update ? what update.. never happened...

It is possible. I think FX could be either mirrorless or not. Any system with inter-changeable lenses will be too big to be a real pocket camera. Even my Nikon 1 system will be to big. Therefore, any DX based camera will not be a pocketable camera, unless it has a non-interchangeable lens. My Coolpix A with a 28mm FX equivalent built in prime barely qualifies.

So if you want FX image quality, then the only real improvement is a camera about 2cm less in depth. Everything else is the same. Is that a significant competitive advantage for a camera that still will not fit in a pocket? Personally, I doubt it

If you accept this line of reasoning, then the question that remains is, "Will Nikon think that a market exists for a DX system that cannot be filled with its current CX and FX systems?"

Personally, I hope so. I would like a DX system with four or five primes as I doubt that the CX system will ever be good enough to keep me happy.
    edited March 2015
    Of course Dx mirrorless will be pocketable .. just look at the current sizes of the smallest lenses. Just 1 tech advancement will reduce the size by 30-40% .. oh its already here .. see Phase Fresnel or liquid lenses. ()

My Coolpix A is as small as it gets, as the lens is non-interchangeable and flush with the camera body, when off. I have difficulty imaging how an inter-changeable lens system could be anything but larger.

Now I consider my Coolpix A to be barely pocketable. That is why I doubt that an inter-changeable DX lens system could be pocketable. Even my kids Nikon 1 (CX) system is not pocketable.

Now if you modify "pocketable to mean "big pockets", then maybe. But then you could argue a D4 is pocketable.
    edited March 2015
    If Apple were running Nikon
    Sorry PB saw this on You tube and could not help but think of of your post this thread :)

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    sevencrossing that really went well with my coffee this morning. I have so many f@#*ing chargers i could open a store. =))