Small is practical

paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
With Mobile phone technology moving at lighting speed where does this leave the big manufactures like Nikon and Canon, Unless it is your intention to print big, why have all that money out in serious gear not to mention all that weight and public liability.

Taken with a Iphone 6

Taken witha iPhone 6 Simple images made easy.
Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2016
    Because I cannot turn up at a wedding with a mobile phone
    Because I cannot use a phone/camera without an optical zoom
    Because I want a camera that takes a picture the instant I hit the button.
    Because phones don't have the equivalent of 14mm on FX
    Because a mobile phone does not work well in the low light of a 13 the century church
    Because you cannot sell a 100% crop from a mobile phone....
    Because I need a viewfinder unaffected by the sun
    Because I need a flash that is brighter than a candle
    Because I only want to share with people who pay me.
    because I don't want to look a pratt.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    That goes back to my mobile photography thread that I made a while ago.

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/4762/cell-phone-photography#latest

I always have my phone with me. My DSLR, not always. I am more likely to pick up the Sony RX100 than my DSLR, as it's way more portable.

It's also easier to share photos with people with the phone.

There are times when a DSLR is more appropriate, and then other times, less so.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I find that while using a cell phone to practice composition is fine, I'm never vary happy with the end results. Even base ISO is too noisy for my liking.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Yeah...this is all great in good light and perfect picture scenarios. Go to difficult settings and a phone fails miserably. It is always nice to see people posting pictures of the event you shot with your dSLR when they used their phone...you can really tell the difference especially in any sort of low light setting.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    And I have an iPhone6 for work, but I still opted to buy a point and shoot over using my phone always. Phones are helpless in poor lighting. I still use my phone out of convenience, but it isn't anywhere near my dslrs. I like to think they are and then I use them for something or print them 4*6 and realize one can easily distinguish which were taken with which. Plus it is all digital zoom...if you use the digital zoom at all the images really suffer. Just imo of course. I would love my phone to be able to take comparable pictures to my Nikon...so far it isn't happening.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    It all depends on what one is trying to accomplish. The tool used should be competent for the task at hand whether creating fine art, producing a marketable product, fulfilling a client demand, or capturing a moment in time.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Up until now, I couldn't care less about the camera in my phone because the images were such crap that I would only use it to record crime or traffic accidents etc. but the camera in my new Sony Z5 Premium (with finger print recognition!) is really quite good. Better than the iphone camera, but still a way to go before it replaces even a point and shoot - have you seen the quality from a P900?

No, my DSLR's are safe.
    Always learning.
  • s.smiths.smith Posts: 18Member
    Amazing shot with apple iphone 6. Please share more photograph like this.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I find it amazing the negativeness from our forum members, reminds me of when Digital photography came on the scene and film photographers said it would never catch on. I grasp any form of new technology that comes along. Does not matter if it's a Mobile Phone or the latest all singing camera, If it gets you the photo, who cares what you use to get it. After decades of being in the trade I find if I have to have a big set-up to impress the client, then the client does not impress me.
    Who would have thought that 4k video would be standard on most high end mobile phones, All the DSLRs specs will appear in the future on Mobile phones and all that 1000 of dollars of large photographic equipment we all have, will be as polular as the 10x8 plate cameras.
    I mean, I don't usually edit my photos, so this is straight out of my phone, a Nexus 5x, but I'm fairly happy with it.

Verrazano Bridge

Phones have come a long way.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Paulr, I think you are overlooking the limitations of format size and the laws of physics, diffraction which is the best known. Many think that digital is going to keep getting better and better and forget that on FX we are close to it not mattering because lenses are the limiting factor.
    edited April 2016
    I think you are being a bit too emotional about it...it wasn't negativeness. We were pointing out obvious limitations. I mean clearly you can't optically zoom with the iPhone. Also think about if you had a D800 instead of your iPhone foe that first picture posted.. the detail you would get out of it. Perhaps your phone is good enough for some things, but I just printed out 75, 4*6 pictures for my sons first birthday and I can clearly see which were taken with my phone and which with my Nikon. Plus the phone has limitations such as focus speed and low light capability...I just went to a dance with my wife for the school she teaches at and some people posted pictures from the dance which was low light and they aren't usable at all...you can't even see the people in them.

And I still opted for a point and shoot for the picture quality, but small size at work.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    I have made my phone "acceptable " to carry by fitting it with a nice bamboo case that looks like a Leica M9...but I hate all iPhone type things ..give me a phone that's a phone with buttons to press
    edited April 2016
    @Pistnbroke: You are in luck Steve, I am just selling my lovely old Nokia 3410 'Nokiasaurus'. Sounds like your ideal phone! B)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • s.smiths.smith Posts: 18Member
    NSXTypeR said:

I mean, I don't usually edit my photos, so this is straight out of my phone, a Nexus 5x, but I'm fairly happy with it.

Verrazano Bridge

Phones have come a long way.

Lovely capture my friend. I'm loving it.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited April 2016
    OK Guys I did play the Devils Avocate, However having just got a iPhone 6s at nearly double the price of my Nikon P900 I have to say the quality from these new Mobile Phones has certainly improved in leaps and bounds.and does show concern for DSLRS.
    I am about to go on my 70th birthday treat to Rhodes, What am I taking? Nikon P900 Olympus Tough 4 for water shots and of course my IPhone, All my Pro Gear left at home. due to weight , room.and worry of any damage.
    Pano With the MP Even ay 100% viewing it still acceptable
    Pano-Iphone above Malham
    Post edited by paulr on
    s.smith said:

Lovely capture my friend. I'm loving it.

Thanks a lot! Make sure you share your work on the forums here too!

This thread makes me smile. We have forum members who will argue the superiority of FX over DX like it is night and day, and now we have a thread that says look out DSLR's, the mobile phones are coming LOL!
    Always learning.
    I'm sure when the Kodak DCS-14N first came out, people were arguing about film vs. digital all the time. Also, when photography first came out, painting was supposed to have been threatened too.

The moral of the story is that people will be people... and argue till kingdom come!

Oh, and that DCS-14N is available used for $600...

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-DCS-14N-13-89MP-Professional-Digital/dp/B000087KUR

Not sure why anyone would get it now over a used D610, but I guess a full frame digital camera in the late 90's is nothing to sneeze at.
    edited April 2016
    paulr said:

OK Guys I did play the Devils Avocate, However having just got a iPhone 6s at nearly double the price of my Nikon P900 I have to say the quality from these new Mobile Phones has certainly improved in leaps and bounds.and does show concern for DSLRS.
    I am about to go on my 70th birthday treat

Post edited by tcole1983 on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I don't own a cell phone. Am I the last person on the planet that won't carry a phone?

I would love a camera that could use cell technology to transfer photo to anyone, anywhere instantly. Bring up a photo type in a phone number and that person gets your photo taken from your DSLR and I want it in a pro body.

framer
    framer said:

I don't own a cell phone. Am I the last person on the planet that won't carry a phone?

I would love a camera that could use cell technology to transfer photo to anyone, anywhere instantly. Bring up a photo type in a phone number and that person gets your photo taken from your DSLR and I want it in a pro body.

framer

You can pretty much do that already with the D7200. If I understand it completely, it has NFC, which if your cell phone has it too, you put them close together and the phone will pair with the camera. Then you can share directly through the phone as you desire.

I'd rather not tie a data plan to a camera, so I think that's the best way to go now. My phone now has NFC, a Nexus 5x, but I have yet to update my camera body. Anyone willing to chip in for a D7200 so I can try this out? :smile:
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited April 2016
    You don't even need NFC. The WMU app does all this via wifi. Snap photo with camera, download the photo to your phone, send the image via email, SMS, whatev, to your friends. Takes less than 30sec.

NFC is just a shortcut to getting the WMU connected to the camera
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Framer said he doesn't have a phone...
    Always learning.
    He can have mine I hate it ...