Tamron 150-600 G2

So what will the new Tammy bring to the table. Digging through the rumored specs on Nokishita Looks like a few promising specs. The optical formula is changed with the addition of another LD element. MFD has dropped down to 2.2 meters from 2.7m. The weight went up by a few ounces. Overall size looks to be about the same with no change in length 257.8mm but a bit more girth, up 3mm. Looks to have 3 VC modes and compatible with the Tap-in system. Max mag had dropped down from 1:5 to 1:3.9. Also added a lock for any focal length.

I'm wondering if they have added the new AF motor to this lens that is in the newer SP lenses. This could be a very competitive lens to the other in the class, especially if they are including better dust resistence.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2016
    The reason for a new model is simple, sales of the current version are terrible. At least that's what I heard from just about every dealer I've gone to. Sales at first were good, but dropped off within a few months. One local dealer has three used copies that have been sitting there for 6 months, not a good sign.

I just don't see the appeal of these superzoom with F6.3 apertures at the long end, it's a recipe for poor auto focus at those longer, and most important focal lengths.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Typical ...bought the old model and now its out of date ....still off to the Somme estuary in France sunday to shoot the migrating birds ....last efforts were runined by fitting a UV filter which the lens did not like. the autofocus if fine even with the D3300 I just bought to use it with ..
  • NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    Pistnbroke, I would be *astonished* if the Tamron 150-600 worked correctly with your D3300. I have a D3200, and none of my third party lenses over 100mm work properly with it, all of them need the focus tuning on my D7100 and D810 ( and big numbers too, like +17 )
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2016
    Dont think if its any special situation ... Tamron has a history of updating their lenses slightly. There are 3 to 5 versions of many of their lenses. BAU for Tamron I think.

Still.. would be interesting to see what the new tweaks brings ;) I have still not got my longish lense to update my old 200-400 F5.6 Tamron. Maybe this one will pass my tipping point :-) ( I actually pulled the trigger on a second hand Tamron 150-600 a few months ago.. but the seller had just sold it :-) maybe its a good thing i missed out on that one :-) )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    @PB_PM Tamron was the first to market with this new type xxx-600 zoom.. They sold far more than they expected in the first 6 months and it was extremely difficult to get the lens. Since then the two Sigmas and the Nikon hit the market so it became saturated..

I never had focus issues with the Tamron except for occasional lockups. Most cameras focus to F8 now and F6.3 is only a third of a stop from F5.6. If you don't shoot wildlife and especially birds you wouldn't understand the draw of these lenses..
    @Nikoniser My 150-600 only needed +2.. This new lens will climate that anyways. With the dock you can fine tune the lens at 4 FoCal lengths and 4 distances if it is the same as the other new Tamron lenses..
    Nikoniser ....well I used it with the D7100 and the D810 but being an idiot I tried it with my old D3200 having seen photos taken with a 5300 and it was fine ..so I thought dispose of the LPF filter and it would be better and it was fine so I got a D3300 cheap as a replacement for the D3200 and its tested good ..we will see ..
    Coastalconn ...a dock on a tamron??? cans you explain.....
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    It looks like a lot of good improvements. I like the electromagnetic diaphragm, is it the first on a third party f-mount lense? And most of all I like the Arca-Swiss tripod mount. It is something that neither Nikon or Sigma has managed to do.

@Pistnbroke: The main blog says there is an "optional TAP-in Console" with USB connection.
    Thanks snakebunk but will it work with me old 150-600 ??? Yes me think I am not likely to buy any other Tamron lenses so is it worth the expense ...Visit to the Somme with the D3300 will tell !!!
    @Pistnbroke When they released the 35 and 45 f1.8 lenses they also released a USB dock. The software allows you to tune at 4 different focal lengths and four distances I believe.. So you can basically tune your lens to 0 a cross the board.
    edited September 2016
    http://www.tamron-usa.com/Tap-In/contents/lineup/tapin/index.html at the end there is a list of compatible lenses ..

PS: found a more complete list .. http://www.tamron.co.jp/software/en/tapin/help/lens/
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

If you don't shoot wildlife and especially birds you wouldn't understand the draw of these lenses..

I do, and it makes up a good chunk of the images I've taken in the last 10 years (most likely 85%) and I still don't get it. Reach at the expense of peek focus performance just isn't worth it, IMO. I'd rather have a shorter lens with better focusing than a long lens with poor focusing. I've seen enough focusing hunting while shooting birds with expensive F2.8 and F4 glass on modern cameras, I'd hate to see what it's like with a F6.3 aperture lens.
    edited September 2016
    Well so the dock don't work with the original 150-600....so thats that lens halved in value ....focus hunting ..never had it even with the D3300 ..it will focus on a distant bird through a hole in trees little bigger than the centre focus point and my test show that the af tune is fine....
    The draw of these lenses is that they are cheap enough for people of moderate means to try bird photography. My wife has the Tokina 400mm f5.6 that cost $50 and is quite happy ..we can park up on a track in the salt marches of the Somme and use the car as a hide and feel quite pleased with ourselves ...no going to spend $15000 on a pair of primes.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    @PB_PM I never had focus hunting issues with the D7100 or D800. They were both sure footed with the G1. The original Tamron seemed quicker to respo,d to me than the Nikon 200-500 The day I tried it. Some of the draws are price, weight and being able to zoom if you are close. I have the 500 F4 VR-G and 300 F2.8 AF-S II non VR, so I have to carry 13# of lenses in case something might be close or a 4.5# lens. Most people will choose the convenience of the smaller lens and trade off a little sharpness and AF speed and not have to worry about alimony or a broken back.
    Considering that I've had focus hunting on flying birds with the AF-S 300mm F2.8G VRII, the AF-S 300mm F4D IF-ED, and Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 APO HSM, on the D300, D700, D800, D750 you must have some magic cameras there. Of course most of the time it happens when using a teleconverter, be it 1.4x or 2x, but that's another story.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    What focus mode do you use @PB_PM ? I typically use AF-C with 9 or 25-point dynamic for birds (and bugs) in flight.
    DSC_2464
    @PB_PM Using a teleconverter isn't another story. It is a very important piece of the puzzle. I personally hate using any teleconverter for the exact reason you mention. Although I used a 1.4x TC on my 300 F2.8 this morning and it worked great. A native lens even at 6.3 will focus better than almost any lens with a 2x TC from my experience. When I had the 120-300 f2.8 OS non sport it was not good with a 2x. I tested The Tamron back in the day against the Sig with 2x and The Tamron won. Its someplace on DPR. The 300 F4 was OK with a 1.4x but not with a 1.7x or a 2x. And yes the D500 is a magic camera..
    @Photobug In answer to the D500 thread question. Personally I would be shocked if either TC was useable with the new G2. I have had very little succes with my 500 F4 and a 1.4x TC, I just can't imagine it working all that well with the Tamron.. Maybe they figured something out, who knows. It has been a very long time since Tamron released a TC and I believe it was just a rebranded Kenko..
    edited September 2016

@PB_PM Using a teleconverter isn't another story. It is a very important piece of the puzzle. I personally hate using any teleconverter for the exact reason you mention. Although I used a 1.4x TC on my 300 F2.8 this morning and it worked great. A native lens even at 6.3 will focus better than almost any lens with a 2x TC from my experience. When I had the 120-300 f2.8 OS non sport it was not good with a 2x. I tested The Tamron back in the day against the Sig with 2x and The Tamron won. Its someplace on DPR. The 300 F4 was OK with a 1.4x but not with a 1.7x or a 2x.

I said another story, because I'm well aware of the impact using a TC has. Thanks for your input though. I only use the 2x for static subjects, since it's basically useless for anything moving beyond 20m.

@Ironheart I use AF-C 9 points, or AF-S single, depending on the subject, whether it's moving or not etc.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited October 2016
    So I have been shooting with the G2 for the past week. It is sharper than expected wide open...
    George Jr 10_25
    2000 px here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/coastalconn/30567875475/sizes/o/

Acquisition and tracking is also very good...
    Great Egret 10_24 1
    1600px https://www.flickr.com/photos/coastalconn/29910095584/sizes/o/

And the biggest surprise is that it stays sharper than expected with the 1.4x TC...
    House Finch 10_21

I have links to the finch and 2 others with the 1.4x TC, plus a gull and cooper's hawk (back-lit in the shade) here https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lzo40kp3aw6nb/Tamron Just note that I shoot in flat picture control so if you open with Nikon software it will be very flat, change to standard. Same thing in LR...
    Post edited by Coastalconn on
    edited October 2016
    Thanks @Coastalconn !! was that the new Tamron TC that you used with the G2?

also the finch (G2+TC14).. looks like a bit of camera shake ?
    PS: had another look.. it looks like it may have been the bird moving :-) not camera shake :-) .. so you think its a bit better than the G1 ? ;-)

@heartyfisher It was really windy with the goldfinch and I didn't want to bump the shutter much because I didn't have much light :) it is the new 1.4x TC which oddly will not mount to either of my primes. Would make me think they have other long lenses coming that will be compatible? I think it is a noticeable improvement over the G1. Its obviously not on the level of my primes, which is no big surprise, but it does seem very good for a consumer super zoom.
    edited October 2016
    Yes ... very very tempted by the G2 ....... Hmm... maybe the D500 can wait ? ( I mean it does not have a Pop-up flash, you know ;-) heh ..... )

The prices here (grey) are surprisingly reasonable !! I guess Tamron is not pulling any punches as the competition in this area is so tough now with so many options. and the "G1" has had a nice price drop too !!

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Anybody have an idea how it compares to the Sigma 150-600 sport or the Nikon 200-500, have the D500 waiting for something longer that the 70-200.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    G2 review on this thread:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/5152/telezoom-what-to-choose#latest

Tamrons tend to have better autofocus performance than siggys. I think there has been some IP "leakage" :wink: