D800, Discussion, Questions, and Answers

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited December 2012 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
For awhile at least we can talk about the D800 here...
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• fishguyfishguy Posts: 23Member

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the appropriate area of the forum, but I wanted to mention a major problem that I've had with a refurbished D800.  I ordered one direct from Nikon USA about a month ago.  It arrived and looked really clean (exif data showed only 53 shutter acuations), but when I took some shots of "blue sky" I saw 25+ spots on the image.  My old D300 only had 4 or 5 spots when taking the same type of shot.  I asked Nikon USA if I could have a RMA# to return it, and they said no, and just had me send it in for "repair".  I did so, and the camera came back clean - until I took about 50 more shots, and then the spots showed up again.  I worked with them, and they asked me to send it back again, so I did.  Same thing - the camera came back fine, but this time, I installed a brand new 28-300 Nikon lens.  The first image was flawless, but after another 50 shots, (with no lens change) the spots came back - in spades; 50 black spots on the sensor after only a couple of hundred shutter acuations.  I contacted Nikon USA again, asking for an RMA#, and they just said - send it back for another sensor cleaning!  I haven't even had a chance to evaluate the camera for any left focus issues - the dirty sensor takes precedence IMO.  Why do they not acknowledge that this camera is totally messed up?  Oil or something inside the camera is getting thrown up onto the sensor!  In my excitement about getting a D800, I sold my D300 and all my DX lenses and bought two new FX lenses - and now I'm stuck, with jobs to do, and no camera to use for the work!  Does anyone else have a similar problem>

Thanks,

~fishguy

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    not the nicest solution but take app 2500-3000 snaps and send it for cleaning , after that all the spare oil should be gone. d800 is an amazing camera so don't regret that You got it.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Dust and dirt on the sensor is a Nikon FX problem, although your dirt rate looks high to me. Might be from the repair. Never had a dirt problem after 10k actuations-might not be a great perspective for you, but good news is that it goes away.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    My D4 had about 10,000 clicks when I cleaned 70 spots off the sensor, has not reoccurred in the 8,000 clicks since
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Thanks for the info folks - I REALLY like the D800 in all other respects.  I think I'm going to fire off another 1000 shots to take it up above 3k, and then send back to Nikon for a third cleaning (since they are paying for express shipping both ways).  A friend of mine bought a new D800 and he literally has no spots, thus my concern that what I was seeing is a flaw. 
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Why would it be a Nikon FX problem? It seems outlandish to me that people have to send cameras like this back for repair and use about 4 percent of their shutter activations to have the camera operate in spec. Maybe I am being hyper-critical but that does not work well for me.  
    BTW had a conversation with a Canon Rep that uses Nikon's. We started chatting after I explained that being too invested in Nikon lenses to make a transition but though the MKIII took beautiful pictures and focused a little better in dark scenes than the Nikon in spite of the specs. 

He told me he had shot both the D800 and the D600 and personally liked the D600 better, and that he would buy it over the D800 if he could only buy one of the two cameras. I told him I was surprised he had both Nikon and Canon, and he explained that some clients specify the camera thye prefer with their job order. 

Definitely not scientific. However, his comments did surprise me. 
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I haven't had a single problem with my D800 at all - no spots, no oil, and I'm banging out shots like crazy- and banging the camera a bit as well - and getting it snowed on, glittered, some water - a bit of pop...  A Cotton candy monster attacked it one day.  Used it to knock loose a jar of relish the other day too.  I really do take good care of my equipment but sometimes... well you all know.  

@Fishguy - have you looked at the sensor with a loop or magnifying glass to see the spots?  That almost sounds like a lens deal that only does it when focused at a certain distance or focal length.  Not usual - but can happen.  

@TriShooter - I have seen job requests for Canon only cameras.  Make zero since to me, and is usually due to an idiot running a department that knows nothing about camera's and thinks Canon is the best -  At least my experience.  I know some news agencies require Canon more due to them having back-up gear available if something happens to yours and they need the shot.   
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    Dust and dirt on the sensor is a Nikon FX problem, although your dirt rate looks high to me. Might be from the repair. Never had a dirt problem after 10k actuations-might not be a great perspective for you, but good news is that it goes away.
    This is not accurate at all  and is nothing new.  The D90, D3000, D5000, D7000... and so on all had some small issues with oil, dust or foam rubber falling on the sensors.  Every company has the same issue here and there.  It is so small of a segment of camera's release and it get's fixed so quick that everyone forgets and moves on like they should.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Richard_MRichard_M Posts: 2Member
    edited December 2012
    I have a fairly early D800 and have had no problems with anything on the sensor. I had no focus problems either and the LCD hue looks spot on too. So I wonder what percentage of cameras have actually had these problems? I wouldn't buy a refurbished camera though because I would question why it needed to be refurbished. I know that many of these are purchaser's returns but why were they returned?
    Post edited by Richard_M on
  • ktolbaktolba Posts: 1Member
    A lot of people simply return their D800 or D600 after reading or even hearing about a dust problem or focus problem even if they didn't experience any of these problems themselves. They figure if someone else found it, then it must be there and they haven't noted it yet. This might explain the avalanche of returns that plagued the D800 and now D600.
    The good news, it creates a huge market of perfectly functioning bodies selling at a marked discount, the bad news, it depresses the market value for everyone else, and with the wide-availability of forums like this that has the effect of amplifying a rare problem into a huge concern, it'll only get worse for Nikon and other manufacturers in the future.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Question:

Does anyone know the approximate cost of refurbishing a D800?  I have a line on one with 100,000 clicks and want to make certain I can have it brought up to new and the left focus issue repaired.

Thanks
    Msmoto, mod
  • D900ED900E Posts: 26Member
    edited December 2012

Question: D800/E recently bought with no defects?

I love the feature of the D800E but still can't make the decision to buy one as
    I am afraid to have more troubles than pleasure from a camera that should be
    one of the best for my needs and a good transition from a defective D300s.  I have been waiting for months to see if all the so called
    "trolls or minor_problems" went away in the last shipments:

1. there was the LT AF issue and for a while nobody said anything more so I
    thought it was fixed;

2. then a green cast on the LCD, never mentioned before, came out of the blue;

3. now there is oil on the sensor like for the D600.

After I read the posted comments of a person that had 6 returns, of new cameras
    bought in December 2012 and still with LT AF issue, cameras repaired that evidence the same problem after 20K shots... etc.  how can I be positive
    thinking? I wonder if I must be a masochist to buy one or should ignore
    all the trolls that are saying bad things about this great but unfortunate
    Nikon realization.  Has anyone recently bought a D800E from B&H or other places that absolutely
    for sure has no defects?  Where?  What Serial?  How many shots taken?

Thanks!

Post edited by D900E on
    Cameras: Coolpix P330, D100, D300s, D800E.
    Lenses: FX: 14 f/2.8; 14-24 f/2.8; 16-35 f/4, 24 f/1.4; 24-70 f/2.8; 24-120 f/4; 35 f/1.4; 50 f/1.8; 70-200 f/2.8; 70-300 f/4.5; 80-400 f/4.5; 85 f/1.4; 50-500 f/6.3 Sigma; DX: 10.5 f/2.8; 10-24 f/3.5; 16-85 f/3.5,18-70 f/3.5; 18-200 f/3.5; Manual 1000 reflex f/11
    edited December 2012

Post edited by D900E on
    Lenses: FX: 14 f/2.8; 14-24 f/2.8; 16-35 f/4, 24 f/1.4; 24-70 f/2.8; 24-120 f/4; 35 f/1.4; 50 f/1.8; 70-200 f/2.8; 70-300 f/4.5; 80-400 f/4.5; 85 f/1.4; 50-500 f/6.3 Sigma; DX: 10.5 f/2.8; 10-24 f/3.5; 16-85 f/3.5,18-70 f/3.5; 18-200 f/3.5; Manual 1000 reflex f/11
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2012

Had my D800 since they come out

no problems 

and I had  no problems with my D70; D90 or D700

and no problem with 4 Nikon Fs ether

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited December 2012
    To Sevencrossing:
    I have been a nikon user since 1970 and also never
    had problems with Nikon from the F2, F3 and F4 and my first digital
    D100.  My bad luck started with a D300s that was sent to repairs seven
    times (Amp glow -> sensor replacement, blurry photos, lack of
    details) and was never fixed. I want to buy a D800E only if it comes perfect from the factory
    Post edited by D900E on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    pessimist I agree and  have sent you a PM
  • HugoFirstHugoFirst Posts: 1Member
    this is but another ham-handed attempt to repeat and perpetuate the misconception that there are all kinds of problems with nikon cameras, nikon service, what have you...

this is merry trollery at its worst, but of course, for the weak-minded and easily led denizens of the online world, where nothing is real and people lie for fun and profit, its a perpetual distraction -- preventing them from buying a camera, which they're too timid to do anyway...

i've reached the point myself where i'm content to leave all the clowns to themselves in this sandbox, and not worry about these online "communities" any more. there's too little of value to justify the tedious repetition of baseless, brainless slime.
    @HugoFirst
    I can prove to you what I just posted. 
    If you don't like this place and comments, nobody asked you to be here, feel free to go elsewhere.

Update:  I took the shutter count of the D800 up to 3200 with just one lens change and dust/oil spots were still increasing.  @Tao - it isn't a lens issue, when the camera was returned after the second cleaning, I installed a brand new 28-300 lens and started shooting - the first image was flawless but new spots began forming until there were close to 100 after 1200 shots.  I also took an image before and after running 3 consecutive sensor clean operations - no change in the location of the spots, but two new ones developed. 

I'm not talking about fuzzy little dust motes that can only bee seen in PS altered images that were shot at f32 and viewed at 200% crop - my "comfort level" is to see less than a dozen spots on an image at 50% crop shot at f22, and no spots visible at f8 - this is what my old D300 could do, and I expect no less from a refurbished D800.

I think that this camera has something that is getting thrown up on the snesor and/or the sensor vibration cleaning isn't working right.  I will say that Nikon USA has been good so far - they are paying for next day shipment both ways each time I send it back, and they are real quick on the turn-around, but until this camera stops puking up stuff all over its sensor, I'm going to have to keep sending it back (since they won't authorize me to return it for a refund or a new camera).

~fishguy

• Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    edited December 2012
    This is not accurate at all  and is nothing new.  The D90, D3000, D5000, D7000... and so on all had some small issues with oil, dust or foam rubber falling on the sensors.  Every company has the same issue here and there.  It is so small of a segment of camera's release and it get's fixed so quick that everyone forgets and moves on like they should.

Go on fstoppers.com and read the article from lensrental.com, it is about 9 months old. In the last third of the article they talk about the maintenance of their equipment and the guy says that the Nikon FX cameras make 3 % of the camera bodies they have and these make up for more than 90% of the dirty sensor complaints. It could be that they don't have any DX Nikons, but if the statistic is correct it is a clear statement.

The maintenance guy of lensrental.com has a video on YouTube where he shows his method of cleaning the sensors. It works really well, if sb is interested. He does it all dry.

And btw, I still have to miss one shot because of a dust or oil spot on the sensor. It has never mattered to me. Dynamic range, focus, noise are much more important. If one holds back because he/she is afraid of dust on the sensor he/she has the wrong priorities. It's like not buying a car because of the lack of cupholders.
    Post edited by Benji2505 on
    TaoTeJared thank you for your comments on this being observed in DX cameras as well. It did not make sense to that this was an FX problem. What you say makes sense to me also on the request comment. The Cannon guy was actually impressed with the both the D800 and the D600. My take is that he thought the D800 was like a Ferrari, and had a higher potential for issues. I took exception to that comment based on the two cameras being essentially similar except for sensor and the additional features included on the D800 which in the end depend on fundamentally the same basic electronics and similar processors which either will work, or not. 

Benji2505  you make a good point on lensrentals.com. I am confident their published repair statistics are tied to the cost of their rentals. They do a good job and its interesting because lensrentals has a lot of equipment to make comparisons against so seems credible.
  • macflymacfly Posts: 3Member
    I have an 800 & an 800E, and have been working with them both pretty continuously. Both have been back to Nikon for a clean, firmware update and left point focus issue. The 800E has got some pretty big spots on the sensor now, around 10,000 frames later, but the 800 is doing pretty good, and is still flawless. I change lenses in the field pretty frequently too.

I swapped over from the EOS system earlier in the year, (1Ds mklll) and that had the same issues with dirt on the sensors, so in my experience it isn't really a uniquely Nikon issue, but I am pretty nervous about cleaning sensors since I somehow scratched one in one of the Canon's, and I'm a very careful, gentle guy!

One thing I don't really like about Nikon is there stupid pro service. They won't take the time to look at my website to see what I do for a living, and will only let me have a pro membership if I can get another pro to vouch for me and that's really hard because I'm the only person I know that's made the switch! Any of you guys out there have pro service and want to vouch for me?
  • chicagonaturechicagonature Posts: 1Member

I scratched the sensor trying to clean the D800E. Doh!

I've owned a D800E since mid June of 2012 and, from the very start, there was lots of crap on the sensor. I thought it might have been from using Live View a lot in the first few weeks, but seeing as how many people are having the problem, Live View probably has nothing to do with it.

A local Nikon certified repair center cleaned it for free (I'm an NPS member, but I don't know if that mattered), but it wasn't long before the dust returned. So, I purchased the product called Sensor Swabs (along with Eclipse solution) by Photographic Solutions. They're really expensive, something like $40 for a dozen swabs. I'd say their cost for the product is $1.50 at most. So, they're cleaning up because I'd sometimes have to use most of the package to get it clean because there's always that one stupid spot along the edge or wherever. After all the fuss, I should have taken it in for cleaning because I ended up scratching the sensor with their product. I can't tell you how, but I did. I then discovered why Photographic Solutions charges and arm and a leg for their Sensor Swabs. It's because they have an Unconditional Guarantee to fix your camera sensor. You're essentially paying an insurance policy just in case you screw up or, in other words, are human. So, I sent it in and it's costing them $1,600 to pay Nikon to fix it.

Hopefully, it'll come back without a ton of oil on it, so I don't have to start all over again from scratch (no pun intended). Nikon Pro Services sent me a loaner D800 until the job is complete. I've been waiting since the beginning of November, but at least I have a nice camera to use in the meantime.

Given my bad luck, though, I don't know what I'm going to do the next time the sensor needs cleaning. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Go on fstoppers.com and read the article from lensrental.com, it is about 9 months old. 
    Note what you just said - "9 Months Old."  Lensrental gets a ton of bodies from the first batches and priority in getting replacements, so I am not surprised.  Just think of it - they get some of the first bodies, they test them and send them back.  Because they have the priority, they get replacements quickly - from the same batch of cameras.  Of course they are going to have more issues.  

From what I have read at other forums, it seems the left focus issue was fixed during the second batch and only effected a small % of bodies.  Any oil talk is just fall over from the D600.  Outside of a few posts here and there - I have seen nothing.   I also believe that photographers in general gripe very loud and make the issues seem larger than they really are.  

I do agree that it is quite concerning that Nikon seems to have issues with the first few batches of bodies made (of the last few released) that have had oil spots, dust, sensor focusing, etc.  I will not buy the first batch of anything that is produced.  I worked in large companies on the corporate top side for too long to make that mistake.  Everything is a rat race to get the first one's out the door.  

Pessimist - All the issues were in the first batches.  If you buy new, you shouldn't have a problem.

fishguy - I think you are right to raise hell with Nikon - Seems really odd.  If you want to post some on flikr we may be able to see something maybe you have missed.  Doubtful, but what the hell?

Question:

Does anyone know the approximate cost of refurbishing a D800?  I have a line on one with 100,000 clicks and want to make certain I can have it brought up to new and the left focus issue repaired.

Thanks
    No clue on that one.  When I sent my D300 in for a full cleaning, check etc. It was $250 with shipping.  They did replace a couple of cap covers, and padding in the mirror box.  Not sure what else they would do.  But it is FX though... ;)