Upgrade from D5600

ZeeshanZeeshan Posts: 11Member
Hi, I am new to the forums, so please forgive me if I say anything stupid. Ya getting to the point.

I have gone through a similar post with the same query as mine but only difference being that the poster was going for a D500. My situation is a bit different with regards to budget.

I am a budding photographer and have around 3-4 years of experience in photography with emphasis on working with dslrs, so operating and understanding dslrs is not an issue for me. So last year I had signed up for 1 year diploma in commercial photography at a well known insitute in my city, btw I am from India. So my course is about to get over so I am looking to upgrade my camera body as now we are being offered some work related to magazines, events, weddings , travel and other commercial shoots. Last year while joining the course I had bought a D5600 which replaced my first love the D3100. So I have been using D5600 for almost 6 months now and it got the job done while we were on projects given by insitutes and classworks. But now I feel as I am closing towards completion and have been getting work, so I am thinking of switching to a enthusiast/semi-pro dx body for weather sealing, better build quality, better fps, the button layout and a big thing in body focusing motor which I really miss in my d5600 while trying to use some lenses which dont have a focussing motor in them. Since I cannot afford a full frame right away so I am looking at the D7200 and the D7500. I am torn apart , D7200 gives me better build quality, dual sd card slots, a focussing motor the same 24mp sensor as my d5600 and other nifty features which my existing camera did not have, but it lacks the swivel touchscreen which I have come to love. D7500 on the other hand gives me the same image sensor as D500 but lesser megapixel count but that I am ready to sacrifice for better image quality and larger pixel size and importantly better low light performance, but D7500 lacks dual sd slot although being a d5600 user I never used or felt the need to have a dual sd slot. But D7500 gives me the touch and tilt screen. I mostly shoots commercial stuff and I do landscape for my soul, its what brought me into photography. So please help me out with this. Lenses I own at the moment are, the kit lens which came with D5600 , tamron 28-75 f2.8, nikon 35mm f1.8, tamron 70-300 f4-5.6

Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Welcome to NR Zeeshan. Right now you need to stop and take a breath. Your diploma and experience do not mean you need to upgrade any gear, especially your body. Ask yourself what it is that you think you absolutely need to gain that you currently lack that will most improve your images, and don't limit this thought process to just your body - apply it to all aspects of your photography. You may find it isn't gear you need at all (opportunities maybe?). If it is gear, tell us what you need to have in a new body or lens. Those old lenses you mention? Maybe get a newer version with a focus motor because they are usually quieter, faster focussing and sharper than the old ones and stick with your 5600 which is no slouch.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I think @spraynpray has it. I have a D5500, which is almost the same as the 5600, and although I have had the urge to upgrade I can't really find any solid reason to. Image quality improvements seem to be incremental at best, according to all of the reviews I have read. And as you said none of the higher end models have the flip out screen which I also really like.

Which screw drive lenses do you want to use? Personally I think with a DX body you are better off getting new AF-S or AF-P DX lenses.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Thom Hogan just posted a great review on the D7500 where he compares it with the D7200, answering just the exact questions you're having:

http://dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d7500-camera-review.html

As a previous D7200 and current D5500 owner I can vouch for the D7200's better stills IQ (it doesn't share its Toshiba sensor with any of the other current Nikon DX bodies, which all use a lesser for stills, better for video Sony sensor), better lossless 14 or 12 bit RAW files, more precise AF sensor module, larger and brighter viewfinder, faster and more direct controls for stills, deeper buffer, faster FPS, quieter and more stable shutter/mirror mechanisms working along a heavier body for a steadier grip and thus less image vibration. That flippy touch screen is most usable for video taking, where the D5500 trumps the D7200 in IQ, as the D7200 takes a 1.3x crop for 1080p50/60 while being softer at the same time. The D5500 does lack the D7200's auto ISO in manual movie mode. If you do lots of video, the D7500 should be the better choice, as it's got all the best traits of both the D5500 and D7200 plus power aperture control and (cropped) 4K24/25/30p. Only shortcoming for the D7500 is the lack of dual SD cards: you really shouldn't gamble on a single card when shooting once in a lifetime events (read: weddings) as you never know when your card might fail.
  • ZeeshanZeeshan Posts: 11Member
    Wow, thanks for such a warm welcome. I mean so manh honest views. Have been on many photography forums but I guess NR forums has one of the best members who give such logical explanations. Tbh I did not like the d5600 from the day I bought, it was more of compromise just to get started and to replace my ageing D3100 as it was just not able to go ahead after so many years of use. My main reason for change is a robust body, d5600 feels fragile and Idk what it is just like the feel of D7200 and D7500. Plus weather sealing is a plus on d7000 series. And one more thing which is quite stupid to be honest but people here judge a photographer'd prowess through his gear, so many look down upon me for using an entry level dslr , and since I have to live and earn in this society so I have to do something. So this is my reason for a switch
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Honestly, I doubt you'll see much image quality difference between D5600, D7200, and D7500, particularly if you're shooting at or near base ISO. The sensors in all the Nikon APS-C cameras are very good and very similar. What you gain by moving up to the D7XXX level is better build quality, more physical controls, better AF, and more bells and whistles.

To see a noticeable improvement in image quality you're better off:
    1. Investing in better lenses.
    2. Moving up to full frame.

That said, if your heart is set on a new body, and if your budget allows for a D7500, why not spend a little more and get an on sale or refurb D750? It's a solid full frame camera that nobody would scoff at, it has a flip screen (although no touch screen), dual card slots, grip support, and works with all the older AF-D and AI-S lenses. If you wait for a sale you can get one (in USA at least) for around $1,400. Plus, all your current lenses except for the kit lens should work on it.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Several years ago I upgraded my D5100 to a D7200 and a bit later added a D610 to the mix. To be brutally honest, I have to look very hard to see a difference between the 7200 and the 610. I don't know what your expectations are, but every time I look at an image from either camera I am blown away by the quality of it. By far and away, any differences in IQ are far more likely to be related to random actions by the shutter releaser than to either camera body.

Personally, I'm not that taken with the D7500. I'm sure it is a very good camera, but for me it is not an upgrade from the D7200. Part of me doesn't think Nikon intended it to be. My take is the D7500 was intended not to compete too closely with the D500. If I were buying new today I can't say with certainly what I'd do. I think I'd lean somewhat heavily toward the D500, but I wouldn't say no to a D7200. Or, maybe a D850 and use crop mode to mimic what a D500 will do if that's what I want. Damn, now I'm completely confused.

So, D7200 (or D7500) or D750. To me it's a wash. In my house, the D610 gets most of the use. I use the 7200 if I need higher performance from the AF (usually in low light) or extended reach using a long lens photographing critters or fast cars. Hard to go wrong.
    Now I am even more confused one shop is offering me a brand new D750 for just a bit more than the whole kit of D7500. Thus I am in a dilemna now. D750 is a capable full frame with a tilt screen which is very important for me at least, its a full frame so good noise performance, more shallow depth of field, but its a 2014 model so will that be an issue?
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @Zeeshan I think you have received some good advice already here but one thing that BVS pointed out that if you are going to shoot professionally you should consider is a camera that has dual memory card slots. You would want to use the second card slot to backup the shots you take on the first slot. Card failures are not very common but they do happen. I had one last year and fortunately I was using the second card as a backup and it wasn't a big deal but if I had only one card it would have .
    I would not worry about the D750 being a 2014 model. It will last you a long time. There are a number of users on this site that are using the D800 that came out in 2012.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If you are upgrading for appearances more than anything, stick with DX unless you already have FX lenses, since the lens changes will cost you more than a body change in the long run.

On the other hand, if you actually want some performance increases, get the D750, which has better low light performance, dual card slots, and more customization than what you have now. The 20-24mp DX bodies are all basically the same in image quality, so unless you are really splitting hairs you won’t notice the difference.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    vtc2002 said:

@Zeeshan I think you have received some good advice already here but one thing that BVS pointed out that if you are going to shoot professionally you should consider is a camera that has dual memory card slots. You would want to use the second card slot to backup the shots you take on the first slot. Card failures are not very common but they do happen. I had one last year and fortunately I was using the second card as a backup and it wasn't a big deal but if I had only one card it would have .
    I would not worry about the D750 being a 2014 model. It will last you a long time. There are a number of users on this site that are using the D800 that came out in 2012.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my query. Ya I am leaning towards the D750 because the cost of D750 is just a little more, moreover I am getting it financed so will pay though EMIs. Still confused though
    IMHO the D750 is the sweet spot in the Nikon range. I still stand by my advice though. Get better glass or spend the money on marketing your business.
    Always learning.
    PB_PM said:

If you are upgrading for appearances more than anything, stick with DX unless you already have FX lenses, since the lens changes will cost you more than a body change in the long run.

On the other hand, if you actually want some performance increases, get the D750, which has better low light performance, dual card slots, and more customization than what you have now. The 20-24mp DX bodies are all basically the same in image quality, so unless you are really splitting hairs you won’t notice the difference.

True, totally agree, the cost of changing to a FX setup that is the cost of lenses will cost me even more than getting a FX body, thus I am considering that as well

IMHO the D750 is the sweet spot in the Nikon range. I still stand by my advice though. Get better glass or spend the money on marketing your business.

Yes better glass indeed. Which glasses would you suggest ?

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I agree with some of the comments above, there's a lot you could do. Technically speaking, the D5600 is a fairly new camera, I would also rather you stick with the same camera and update your lenses instead. Figure out what you like to photograph and see what lenses might be suitable for you.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If your work involves low light ..interiors you would be better off with FX.
    If you want your gear to look more impressive fit a cheap grip.
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Try renting what you are interested in. It's the best advice I can give when you are looking at moving up. I was set on getting the D7200 until I rented a D750. The viewfinder and low light performance sealed the deal. The other thing to do is set goals for upgrading lenses.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    You already have 2 very capable FX lenses, the one DX lens you've got is easy to sell or trade towards a 50mm, so you're very well set up to move up to FX. You have more, sharper, brighter and cheaper choices for lenses in the wide end in FX, and the D750 has all the best traits of both the D7200 and the D7500 except for 4K and the touch screen, plus a bigger, cleaner sensor. It's really a no brainer, especially since it's a business decision.
    Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback and for sparing so much of your valuable time to share your thoughts with me. I have been on many photography forums, but NR by far is the best with honest members. So today I brought home my new D7500, finally it worked out and it seemed to suit me
    Glad to hear you made a decision! I briefly tried a D7500 and I think I liked it too. Remember to share your work here.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited April 2018
    Ofcourse will share. I am trying to figure out, as to how I can upload images here
    Post edited by Zeeshan on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2018
    Take it back now ..if you are doing commercial work you cannot have a camera with one memory card ..sorry but you said the best advice is on here. While the D750 is fine it does not give you the MP for heavy cropping best source a D810 ..still available for about £1400 new or even a D800E if shutter noise is not a problem.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Well true I have received the most honest opinion on NR but at the end of the day the internet is not going to pay for my camera its me who has to work within my budget with the helpful input of the forum
    Good point Zeeshan. We only guide. To be honest I have shot quite a few weddings and events and although always had bodies with back-up card slots, I have never needed them. Of course, if I hadn't had them, I would certainly have needed them LOL!
    Always learning.

Take it back now ..if you are doing commercial work you cannot have a camera with one memory card ..sorry but you said the best advice is on here. While the D750 is fine it does not give you the MP for heavy cropping best source a D810 ..still available for about £1400 new or even a D800E if shutter noise is not a problem.

I think that's a little extreme. Plenty of good work was done on film when it was just one copy. You don't see SLR cameras with two slots for two canisters of film. Good work is good work, dual card slots isn't going to get your work to the next level. It might save your rear end once in a while though.
    edited April 2018
    I dont mean to sound harsh, but you have to accept the reality regarding funds. So I was really in a fix so I had to take some decision. Yes 2 sd cards slots would protect me from data loss but I had limited choice. And I still would say NR is the only honest forum I have come across. I wish to reciprocate back to the community by giving people true advice. Now about D7500, its just one day that I have had it but I can surely say that its a wonderful piece of technology, people need to use it once before giving unfavourable remarks about it. Have never seen this level of low light performance in a crop sensor camera. The megapixels may be low on paper but there is an increase in the pixel size that is 0.6%, a pixel on D7500 is 17% bigger than D7200 as per Nikon fact sheet thus the details are really good. I was thinking of writing a review about D7500 as there is not much information about it. So can I post a review on NR?
    Post edited by Zeeshan on