File number and shutter count

I found that shutter count for a jpg file 0471 is 634. I am wondering why the shutter count is greater than the file number. I never reset or change the file numbering scheme.

Could anyone shed light on the above?

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2018
    It must have been re set at 163..perhaps you were working on the settings and did not realize you did it . I suspect a more subtle explanation.+
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If you use live view at all that would do it, since turning on live view also counts as a shutter action. Basicly one shot in live view equals 3 shutter actions, one when you turn it on, another for the actual shot and another when the screen comes back on. Yeah, it adds up quickly.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited November 2018
    Switching to live view (or recording video) counts as a shutter actuation, I think. So maybe that’s why?

Or maybe someone took some shots without a memory card inserted?
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • churinchurin Posts: 51Member
    edited November 2018
    Does one video recording session advance shutter count by one?
    Post edited by churin on
    Maybe more than that, if you put it in live view first then start recording. I’m not really sure.
    edited November 2018
    It should only count as one when recording video (when you turn on live view), since all video recording uses an electronic shutter.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • churinchurin Posts: 51Member
    Now I understand that shutter count tends to be greater than file numbers and a number of video recordings combined.
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    It appears on my D800E and D4 that the Nikon NEF RAW file numbering system has a 4 digit maximum (DSC_9999) and it will automatically roll over to DSC_0001 at which point there isn't any relationship to shutter count or anything else for that matter. The last time I checked I had 90K shutter actuation on the D800E..

Denver Shooter
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    This all sounds bizarre. I was pretty disgusted to see that electronic releases count the same as normal ones, but this live view thing - if it's true - makes it even worse! I use live view for all nightscape and landscape shots so my shutter has prolly 1500 shots on it but I have shot about 7000 total using electronic shutter. Yee-ikes.
    Always learning.
    Are you sure electronic shutter actuations count? I’m not sure? There’s not that many Nikon DSLRs that have that anyway, right? D850 is the only one I know of.

As far as live view - I don’t see a way around it - have to open the shutter to go to live view. And then another actuation to take the picture.

This all sounds bizarre. I was pretty disgusted to see that electronic releases count the same as normal ones, but this live view thing - if it's true - makes it even worse! I use live view for all nightscape and landscape shots so my shutter has prolly 1500 shots on it but I have shot about 7000 total using electronic shutter. Yee-ikes.

I think you’ve misunderstood. The mechanical shutter still has to open when you turn on live view, otherwise you’d see nothing other than the back side of the shutter. :wink: The mechanical shutter also opens and closes when you take a picture in live view, at least on older models, which is why there is such a long blackout time, not sure about the 2017-2018 models. If it didn’t rolling shutter for short exposures would have been horrible.
    That makes sense.

I use silent mode 1 in live view as I never need not to so does that mean I only get one increment even if I shoot a five shot bracketed set?
    Always learning.
    I haven't used a D850, so I cannot comment on how it operates. My understanding is that the silent mode uses a completely electronic shutter in live view, so it shouldn't cause ware and tare on the mechanical shutter. The question is, does Nikon include electronic releases in the computers shutter count meter anyway? Again, without a D850 on hand, I have no way to test it.
    Right. I just did a test using camerashuttercount.com and got the following results: Starting image was 5720, shot a 3 shot bracket set using raw and jpeg, last image was 5723 so as expected. I then used live view to shoot another set and the last image was 5727 so the electronic shutter does increment the count and switching to live view also increments the count.

I can understand the live view thing because it does actually use the mechanical shutter but the electronic shutter? Really Nikon? That needs fixing for sure.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2018
    Maybe shutter count is now an outdated term and the count is really how many exposures its made ...a measure of its use .
    +If you had a mirrorless and always used it in silent mode then in theory the count would be zero. But when using the shutter on a mirrorless you get twice the shutter movements but it still only counts as one..... Its interesting to find that turning on the LV to check a scene increments the count .
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    Why does any of this matter? We are talking about single digit percent "error" in shutter count.
    HankB said:

Why does any of this matter? We are talking about single digit percent "error" in shutter count.

Because I use LV/silent mode 1 more than any other mode. My shutter may actually only be used for 5% of my total count, the rest are fiction and devalue my camera unnecessarily.
    Always learning.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Shutter count is probably one of the least factors in camera resale pricing. It more driven by replacement models, their features, external condition (flogged or not) and pricing. Take a look at any of the big used camera companies pricing and you can see this in action.

When Nikon offers trade in's its a very limited range of models they will take and what they pay.

I never purchased a camera with the idea that it would be worth anything by the time I was done with it and I take the full 179 IRS deduction on all of it.

Denver Shooter
    Cameras seem to hold their value pretty well. More than they should some times, I think.

It does seem shutter count affects value at least on eBay.
    edited November 2018
    Considering that most Nikon bodies, other than entry level models, are rated to 150,000 or 300k for D5 and D850, it’s almost a non issue. Most of the used cameras I see at the local camera shop or on eBay/CL don’t have more than 10-20k on them. Less than 15% have more than 50k. Most I’ve ever put on is 100k, by which point the camera was a backup and then became a paper weight shortly after; not due to a failed shutter, just age.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

Right. I just did a test using camerashuttercount.com....

Just fyi, if you use a mac you can just open up a jpg or raw file in the preview app and hit info (or command & I) and the shutter count is in the exif.

You could go back to previous photos and go thru them and see how the shutter count changed.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    PB_PM said:

Considering that most Nikon bodies, other than entry level models, are rated to 150,000 or 300k for D5 and D850, it’s almost a non issue. Most of the used cameras I see at the local camera shop or on eBay/CL don’t have more than 10-20k on them. Less than 15% have more than 50k. Most I’ve ever put on is 100k, by which point the camera was a backup and then became a paper weight shortly after; not due to a failed shutter, just age.

I suspect the GAS makes people drop their cameras on EBay more frequently than not. My policy is to shoot my camera until it dies, but I may make an exception if I hear Nikon is killing DSLRs. I may go and grab a D7500 or a D750 equivalent at that time if I knew it was the last DSLR Nikon was making.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    How many counts do your cameras last? I have bought new ones at around 150k because I get worried, but they have never actually stoped working.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    snakebunk said:

How many counts do your cameras last? I have bought new ones at around 150k because I get worried, but they have never actually stoped working.

Why buy new ones, a new shutter is only $200-300
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @daveznspace: Because I get worried that they will break when I am on a trip, and because new cameras have better specs. Would you say a 150k camera is as reliable as a new one if you replace the shutter?