Z7-Z6 Lenses

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    The 24-70mm f/2.8 was always a topper for me. Look at the photo Clint Searcy posted in "MIRROR LESS HERE AT LAST" you see the power of that lens ISO 12.800. It is an expensive lens, but my lens is now 10 years old, still going very strong and was € 1200.- new price then, so expensive is relative.

Those new primes on the Z6 and Z7 ....... a new IQ chapter.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    Both of these were shot with the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 VR

dLuna 2
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    Eliston Place.

The fact that I already owned that $2000+ lens and is the reason I waited to see what Nikon offered up instead to jumping to Sony. It was never that impressive on the d7200 DX body I was using but the full frame sensor of the Z6 really shows what it can do I think.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Ton14 said:

The 24-70mm f/2.8 was always a topper for me. Look at the photo Clint Searcy posted in "MIRROR LESS HERE AT LAST" you see the power of that lens ISO 12.800. It is an expensive lens, but my lens is now 10 years old, still going very strong and was € 1200.- new price then, so expensive is relative.

Those new primes on the Z6 and Z7 ....... a new IQ chapter.

It is certainly looking that way Ton14.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

Thom Hogan comment: "However, both Canon and Nikon have produced new mirrorless primes that outperform the equivalent DSLR prime (reviews of the Nikon 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 coming shortly)."

No really Thom, who would have guessed? Considering the huge price premium (more than a 100% increase) compared to the SLR versions, if they were not better Nikon and Canon would have been in a load of hot water with users, who would be jumping ship faster than they could say Sony or Fuji.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    PB_PM said:

Considering the huge price premium (more than a 100% increase) compared to the SLR versions, if they were not better Nikon and Canon would have been in a load of hot water with users, who would be jumping ship faster than they could say Sony or Fuji.

I feel like the 35 and 50 Zs are just kind of like gold ring 35 and 50 Gs that they never made, which would have matched with the 20, 24, and 28 1.8s. They're also an interesting counter to the Sigma Art primes.

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    BVS said:

PB_PM said:

Considering the huge price premium (more than a 100% increase) compared to the SLR versions, if they were not better Nikon and Canon would have been in a load of hot water with users, who would be jumping ship faster than they could say Sony or Fuji.

I feel like the 35 and 50 Zs are just kind of like gold ring 35 and 50 Gs that they never made, which would have matched with the 20, 24, and 28 1.8s. They're also an interesting counter to the Sigma Art primes.

They are like the gold ring lenses – in fact, the new S primes perform better than their gold ring 1.4 equivalents at the S maximum apertures of 1.8. Anybody complaining about the price of these lenses does not get that – and are probably not really Nikon customers but third party lens customers. I am excited to see what the 1.2 S line lenses will be able to do.

If you want cheaper, I would counsel patience. My guess is that Nikon is going to come out with a budget line of non-S lenses, perhaps in f/1.4 and f/2.0 for the primes with some budget zoom / super zoom options. This is reminiscent of Nikon’s “Series E” lenses from a few decades back. I still use my Series E 100mm 2.8 on occasion. My guess is that the new “Series E” lenses will also be very small and be occompanied by a “Series E” line of cameras in both crop and full frame formats. Crop will be entry level and full frame will be the pricier enthusiast market, with full frame being pushed into the entry level space eventually as costs decline). This will serve the “small and lightweight” crowd (which I get, but am not a part of - if I want small and lightweight, that would be a Z7 with 1.8 S-primes). This will give Nikon two benefits. First, most of the volume and perhaps most of the profit is in this space. Second, it will provide a feeder to Z cameras and S lenses for people that decide that they want to upgrade.

Paragraph 1 is my opinion. Paragraph 2 is just my theory……and perhaps my hope, as it will be a winning strategy for Nikon.
    edited January 2019
    BVS said:

PB_PM said:

I doubt Nikon is going to have anything other than the S line, they have said over and over that they are targeting the high end market. We might see some budget DX 18-140 kit zooms for a DX (Z5?), that might be around $500, but considering how little effort Nikon put into the DX SLR line I wouldn’t hold my breath. Doesn’t matter to me, I have no interest in the Z cameras.

My point was simple, ‘sure Thom Hogan, no doubt the new S lenses is better, they are charging way more for them’. Thom statement tries to make it sound like Canon and Nikon are doing users a favour or something, which is nonsense.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Wait for the tests so we can compare them against Sigma Art lenses. At least three S lenses out this year should be very good (the 85mm, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2,8).

Wait for software upgrade adding eye AF and other items this year.

I am expecting that by the end of 2019 the Z and S lines will be seen as far more competent then people give them credit for now.

Unfortunately, it will take a hardware upgrade, a new body, to add a second card slot and a vertical shutter release in a built in or attached battery grip. I do hope that will also be out this year as a Z8.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Yes, let's see how they compare to the same Nikon lenses on the D810 and D850.

Beginning last year I rented the latest Tamron 35mm f 1/8, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 FX and the Sigma f/1.4 art for a weekend and tested them on the D810. Bought the Tamron, cheaper, VR as extra and the IQ was the same as the Sigma on my screen.

I prefer native lenses, but not in this case.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Note something about this. He is using a prime lens on the medium format body and an old zoom on the Z7 to get comparable lens lengths for the image. To be fair he should be using primes on both bodies. There is no 18 or 20 mm prime for the Z7 yet but one is on Nikon's lens road map for this year. His conclusion is that the old zoom is as good as the medium format prime in the middle but not as good at the edges. No one would expect it to be, no surprise there. I suspect the new S 20 mm prime will give a much better result and equal the Fuji medium format. This suspicion is reinforced by his comments on how sharp the 24-70 "kit" lens is. Maybe he will do the test again when he gets the S 20mm prime for the Z7. I just don't see the need to go medium format even when printing 3, 4, or 5 feet wide unless you have a real market for those images.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZNr24yVD9s

PB_PM said:

BVS said:

PB_PM said:

I doubt Nikon is going to have anything other than the S line, they have said over and over that they are targeting the high end market. We might see some budget DX 18-140 kit zooms for a DX (Z5?), that might be around $500, but considering how little effort Nikon put into the DX SLR line I wouldn’t hold my breath. Doesn’t matter to me, I have no interest in the Z cameras.

They will. After an "event" I went to tonight, I am confident. If anybody has extra money that they don't need I would be willing to start a bet. Caution, it is a sucker bet and I am not the sucker.
    And I predict that the Noct will be about USD 5,000.
    edited January 2019

They will. After an "event" I went to tonight, I am confident. If anybody has extra money that they don't need I would be willing to start a bet. Caution, it is a sucker bet and I am not the sucker.

Gambling is a bad habit, might want to visit a psychiatrist. :wink: Unless they show up on the roadmap it's just hearsay from reps, who don't know any more than you or I. Lets put it this way, there are no "budget" lenses in the foreseeable future (the current roadmap) so they are at least 4-5 years away at best. Nikon will want to fully establish the "pro" halo products before making consumer models. Of course 4-5 years from now is likely about the time that Z cameras might be worth getting over a DSLR.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

Gambling is a bad habit, might want to visit a psychiatrist. :wink: Unless they show up on the roadmap it's just hearsay from reps, who don't know any more than you or I. Lets put it this way, there are no "budget" lenses in the foreseeable future (the current roadmap) so they are at least 4-5 years away at best. Nikon will want to fully establish the "pro" halo products before making consumer models. Of course 4-5 years from now is likely about the time that Z cameras might be worth getting over a DSLR.
    Yes, four or five years is a possible timeline. I will concede that.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2019
    Good thread so far guys! Yes I think the 2.8 glass will be heavy almost like the F mount. I will be happy with the F4 glass for now. The 14-30 lens looks fantastic. I will be picking up my Z7 late February as I had some things to take care of first.

Moreorless you will love your D850 for sure :)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I loved my D850. The Z7 with the 24-70 f4 is my most used camera now. It is simply the easiest to carry and to use. The image quality is about the same on the Z7 and the D850. My D850 is for sale. Now, I am wondering what to do with my old F-mount lenses.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    I am still evaluating by Z6 system, been so busy with other things, but I have to say it is very promising and the future looks good if software updates improve AF, the new 2019 S lenses are as good as the three out now and Nikon produces a Z body with dual card slots and a vertical shutter release (built in or add on). It seems to me highly likely that all I am asking for will soon come to pass. By the end of 2019 some reviewers initial negative impressions (here's looking at you Tony and Chelsea) may no longer be valid. 2019 may be a good year for Nikon.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2019
    rmp said:

I loved my D850. The Z7 with the 24-70 f4 is my most used camera now. It is simply the easiest to carry and to use. The image quality is about the same on the Z7 and the D850. My D850 is for sale. Now, I am wondering what to do with my old F-mount lenses.

Wow! Just like that, your D850 is out? I will definitely be keeping mine even if it gets a lot less use. Its simply the most perfect DSLR ever made. As far as the glass goes, why not just shoot it with the adapter on the Z7? I agree with you in that the weight is not a lot of fun.

I am still evaluating by Z6 system, been so busy with other things, but I have to say it is very promising and the future looks good if software updates improve AF, the new 2019 S lenses are as good as the three out now and Nikon produces a Z body with dual card slots and a vertical shutter release (built in or add on). It seems to me highly likely that all I am asking for will soon come to pass. By the end of 2019 some reviewers initial negative impressions (here's looking at you Tony and Chelsea) may no longer be valid. 2019 may be a good year for Nikon.

Indeed 2019 certainly will be. 2020 with the influx of 2.8 glass will be as well. I imagine the Z6 & Z7 refreshes will be even more amazing as well just like it was with Sony. However, Nikon seems to have gotten it's mirrorless bodies nearly perfect right out of the gate!
    Post edited by kanuck on
    Yes, my decision was pretty quick. I loved my D850. It's image quality was and is great. But, when I got my Z7, the D850 took second seat. Almost immediately, the Z7, 24-770 f4 became the camera in my hand. Without thinking, I just pick it up. Sometime after Feb. I will acquire a Z6 pair it with the 70-300mm AF-P on the FTZ and have my two-camera-two lens travel kit.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    rmp said:

Yes, my decision was pretty quick. I loved my D850. It's image quality was and is great. But, when I got my Z7, the D850 took second seat. Almost immediately, the Z7, 24-770 f4 became the camera in my hand. Without thinking, I just pick it up. Sometime after Feb. I will acquire a Z6 pair it with the 70-300mm AF-P on the FTZ and have my two-camera-two lens travel kit.

That will be a pretty sweet setup. Do you see yourself buying the 14-30?
    Yes, I will buy the 14-30, I am just not sure when. Also, I do not like to change lenses in the field. So, for wide shots, I will often turn a camera to "portrait angle" take a number of shots and then, in Photoshop stitch them together to make a panorama. It gives me more detail and I do not need to carry a wide angle lens.

Thom Hogan recommended this set up.
    edited January 2019
    rmp said:

Yes, I will buy the 14-30, I am just not sure when. Also, I do not like to change lenses in the field. So, for wide shots, I will often turn a camera to "portrait angle" take a number of shots and then, in Photoshop stitch them together to make a panorama. It gives me more detail and I do not need to carry a wide angle lens.

Thom Hogan recommended this set up.

Hmmm......that is creative. I do that, but it did not occur to me that the purpose could be to replace a wide angle lens.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    edited January 2019
    Yes, I use that technique to make wide landscape shots with my super sharp 105mm macro, blows away most wide angels and you don’t lose resolution correcting distortion. Often end up with 200+ MP files. LR eats up all 32GBs of RAM while putting it together too.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

PB_PM said:

BVS said:

PB_PM said:

What happened at the "event" to make you so sure?