How to Post a Photo on Photo-A-Day- NEW INSTRUCTIONS

123457»

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    The nice thing about Flickr is that if you click through you get EXIF data. At least, as long as it wasn't stripped out in post. You usually don't get that data on images hosted by personal websites.
    Has anyone found a way to get the Flickr embed code when on a mobile device? I’ve had no luck at all. The app doesn’t give it to you.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    mhedges said:

Has anyone found a way to get the Flickr embed code when on a mobile device? I’ve had no luck at all. The app doesn’t give it to you.

I think you might be able to hit the share button and find multiple options, but it did work for a while on Android, not sure about iOS.

Does anyone know if you can post photos to this forum through Google Photos? I haven't posted anything in ages since Flickr cost money.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    NSXTypeR....I won't pay for the pro version of Flickr so I put up with the free version and it's limit of 1,000 images.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited June 2019
    I long past went over the 1000 photo mark, so I'm out of luck. To be fair, I could start deleting files, but some of the comments on my older files I really appreciate, and it's the input and feedback that I really enjoy so I'm keeping my Flickr profile as it is.

Plus there's the big issue of cyber security. Yahoo/Flickr really was quite bad about notifying people about password issues and I don't agree with just handing over my credit card information.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

I long past went over the 1000 photo mark, so I'm out of luck. To be fair, I could start deleting files, but some of the comments on my older files I really appreciate, and it's the input and feedback that I really enjoy so I'm keeping my Flickr profile as it is.

Plus there's the big issue of cyber security. Yahoo/Flickr really was quite bad about notifying people about password issues and I don't agree with just handing over my credit card information.

Understand where your coming from regarding comments on your images. I had 3,400 images on there and it took a lot of work to get under 1,000. I also am Leary of giving out credit card numbers.

I see Capital One VISA has a new feature where they give you a unique number for purchasing on the Internet and it is not connected to your main VISA credit card. I have not looked at it carefully enough to decide if this is what I want to do.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I am new to the forum (just switching from Canon to Nikon). Do you have to have a Flickr account to upload photos to NikonRumors? Surely this can't be true - there must be a way to upload directly from my computer?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    You do need to have your images hosted somewhere I'm afraid. There are other sites, but direct uploading to NR is not an option.
    Always learning.

You do need to have your images hosted somewhere I'm afraid. There are other sites, but direct uploading to NR is not an option.

Then I won't be posting any photos here. That seems like an absurd policy (but thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it).

Then I won't be posting any photos here. That seems like an absurd policy (but thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it).
    I agree that it is curious that a photo website doesn't allow direct uploads, but the good thing about hosting sites (especially Flickr) is that the EXIF data is easily view able which is very useful for folks who are trying to learn.
    +1 mhedges
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I learn from that EXIF data frequently and maybe once or twice someone has benefited from mine.
    Photobug said:

NSXTypeR said:

Understand where your coming from regarding comments on your images. I had 3,400 images on there and it took a lot of work to get under 1,000. I also am Leary of giving out credit card numbers.

I see Capital One VISA has a new feature where they give you a unique number for purchasing on the Internet and it is not connected to your main VISA credit card. I have not looked at it carefully enough to decide if this is what I want to do.
    Agreed. The less other sites know about my information, the safer my information it is. One of mentors once told me, "Trust everyone. Believe no one."

I'm not sure if it's a policy per se, it's more like a feature of the code of the forum. Flickr is likely the most convenient way to post photos.

I'm still trying to figure out, does anyone use Google Photos? I'm wondering if I can use that to host photos to post in this forum. I guess one could downsize a photo and host a link that way. Kind of roundabout, but might work in a pinch.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    I started a Flickr account, but been too busy to really give it traction. Right now, if I need to post an image on some forum that doesn't have upload, I just put it in a folder on my personal webserver and link to it. The webserver costs $4US per month, and I know enough unix to do the care and feeding. Here's a link to it, comes up as a random collection of images, all that are linked to from somewhere...
    https://glenn.pulpitrock.net/Individual_Pictures/
    The downside is that, when I pass, my heirs in their endeavors to clean up the mess I've made in life, will probably either delete the server, or just let it expire, and all those links will go dead. I'll be past caring by then... :smiley:
    So it doesn't necessarily have to be Flckr? I just looked at PhotoADay and it seems like you just need to link to any URL? I do have a (rarely used) 500px account so maybe I will try that when I get back from this week's vacation.
    Yes you can use other image hosting platforms.
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    I use Nikon Image Space, however, I cannot seem to get it to post in the PAD larger like I had in past.
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    I use my own Linux VPS running a web server $4US/month. Any place you can post an image that can be seen on the web...
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Seems absurd that a photo site won't allow direct posting. That's why I never post photos here! And won't until the site allows direct posts. The Discus requirements for captcha lock me out ALL of the time unless I go to the forum section.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited January 2022
    Posting these for DaveyJ from my flickr account: He can add the text in another post.

"I am using several Z Cameras. The Z 6 II I am using now with the new S 100-400 Z lens. The images I am sending though were taken with Z 50 and 50-250 and the Z fc photo taken with the D7200 and the 16-80 lens.

I had good luck buying the new 100-400 Z lens, but still have not been able to even order the Z 9!

Best Wishes to you and yours in 2022."

Picture1

Picture2
    Post edited by donaldejose on