Z7-Z6 Lenses

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited September 2019
    mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

It's kind of a shame that Nikon moved to mirrorless so quickly, I'd like to see what they can do with phase fresnel lenses in general.

This is sarcasm, right?

Seriously though - I'm sure we will eventually get PF Z lenses. As far as using PF elements in non-telephoto designs - that's an interesting thought. I wonder if we will get any.
    It's not really sarcasm, there's a whole line of legacy lenses for the F mount. I am not planning to go mirrorless anytime soon, so I'm still interested F mount lenses. Plus, you can't use Z mount lenses on film bodies.

I guess the best analogy I can think of is GM's LS3 motor. Still pushrod, still relatively large, but makes massive power easily and fairly simple to work on. I love Japanese cars, but it can take a lot of work to get power out of it. Is it anachronistic today when we have DOHC engines, flat plane cranks and more modern engines? Yes. Does it work well?

Absolutely.

I don't know who mentioned it in prior messages, but I've also noticed a bit of a drop too on F-mount lenses. The new AF-S 70-300 used to sell closer to $700, now it's always available for around $550.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited September 2019
    NSXTypeR said:

The new AF-S 70-300 used to sell closer to $700, now it's always available for around $550.

Thinking you mean the AF-P lens? It's been at that price for at least a year now. $550 is a steal, IMO.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

The new AF-S 70-300 used to sell closer to $700, now it's always available for around $550.

Thinking you mean the AF-P lens? It's been at that price for at least a year now. $550 is a steal, IMO.
    Yes. I would have picked one up, but the D7000 doesn't quite have full compatibility with it.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    NSXTypeR said:

mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

Yes. I would have picked one up, but the D7000 doesn't quite have full compatibility with it.
    You can get a refurb D7500 from B&H for $599 right now - 20.9MP, 8fps, 50 shot buffer, 4K video, auto AF fine tune, 51pt -3EV AF, 180K meter, etc.

If you have to have a second card slot, grip, or compatibility with really old lenses then a refurb D7200 is $694.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    NSXTypeR said:

mhedges said:

NSXTypeR said:

For some reason I thought it did with the FX version, but I'm not sure.
    edited September 2019
    BVS said:

You can get a refurb D7500 from B&H for $599 right now - 20.9MP, 8fps, 50 shot buffer, 4K video, auto AF fine tune, 51pt -3EV AF, 180K meter, etc.

If you have to have a second card slot, grip, or compatibility with really old lenses then a refurb D7200 is $694.

No, I'm definitely picking up a D7500 when Nikon announces the end of DX. I'm sure there will be good deals to be had.
    mhedges said:

For some reason I thought it did with the FX version, but I'm not sure.

It sort of does, I think you just can't turn off VR. I guess it would be a problem with high shutter speed panning.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited September 2019
    I got my 85 mm /1.8S today:
    https://flic.kr/p/2hgBd9A
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Have fun with it, I used the 85mm f/1.8 so much on my DSLR's, I buy it next month.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Enjoy - let us know how you like it.
    edited September 2019
    mhedges said:

Enjoy - let us know how you like it.

My first impression is that it is quite compact. It has the same general feel as the other S-line lines.
    At f/1.8 it does isolate the subject from the background quite well, but it doesn’t focus up close. I’ll try it out when I am on the road sometime soon.
    I don’t know if I’ll be asked to take any portraits again anytime soon, as that isn’t my field, but I’ll try it out on some upcoming travel.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Is anyone going to buy the $8K Noct lens? Why? What does the f/0.95 really give you?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I will. I will expect uncompromising optics. F/0.95 is secondary. I will wait for a Z body with the same ergonomics as the D6 I will buy though.

I will. I will expect uncompromising optics. F/0.95 is secondary. I will wait for a Z body with the same ergonomics as the D6 I will buy though.

Do you think it will really be better than say the upcoming Z 50 1.2? Aren't there compromises to get something that fast?
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    I would imagine there were already some lens with "uncompromising optics" made before, and they have since been surpassed by better lens.

The point is, "uncompromising optics" is purely a marketing term. It's illogical to expect lens with "uncompromising optics" because so far there is no way to make perfect lens. And as technology advances, we will expect better lens in the future.
    mhedges said:

Do you think it will really be better than say the upcoming Z 50 1.2? Aren't there compromises to get something that fast?
    Not sure. But it will be fun to see.
    tc88 said:

I would imagine there were already some lens with "uncompromising optics" made before, and they have since been surpassed by better lens.

The point is, "uncompromising optics" is purely a marketing term. It's illogical to expect lens with "uncompromising optics" because so far there is no way to make perfect lens. And as technology advances, we will expect better lens in the future.

Yes, it is a marketing term. But there is meaning behind it. For example, I would expect better sharpness and zero coma at 1.2 on the 0.95 than the 1.2. But.....we will see.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Look at Nikon's super telephotos. They do have "uncompromising optics" and you can expect that Nikon will produce the same in such an expensive lens as the 0.95. It will offer much more than just f0.95 to justify that price.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I will probably not buy it. But, I would love to hear about and see the images produced by those that do buy it.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    I won't buy it either. Too expensive for the limited uses I would make of it. I will get a similar image shot at f1.8 or f1.4 or f1.2 by just moving the subject further from the background to create the additional blur. Plus, I hate working with manual focus and only do it with focus peaking and very old lenses (such at old Russian copies of Leica lenses, after WWII Russians stole designs and machines from the Leica factory and produced the same lenses in Russia under Russian names) for some retro fun at times. But I also am anxious to see some photos taken with this lens.
    I want to see the Z 70-200. I just picked up a used F mount VRII version, so I won't be buying right away, but I'm really curious about the size and performance.
    edited October 2019
    "size and performance" will be smaller and better! That is how Nikon is making the S lens line. As for me, it is time to stop buying f mount lenses and build up an S lens line awaiting the inevitable Z8 or Z9 body.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    edited October 2019
    mhedges said:

I want to see the Z 70-200. I just picked up a used F mount VRII version, so I won't be buying right away, but I'm really curious about the size and performance.

Yes, 70-200. I'm on vacation right now, and have had numerous situations where a long telephoto would have been helpful. I have a shot of a pair of a brightly-colored Hawaiian birds, but I had to crop horrendously to get a decent composition...
    Post edited by ggbutcher on

"size and performance" will be smaller and better! That is how Nikon is making the S lens line. As for me, it is time to stop buying f mount lenses and build up an S lens line awaiting the inevitable Z8 or Z9 body.

It will be smaller for sure. I don't know that it will better in any practical sense - the current F mount 70-200 is the best one out there, right? I mean, it will probably measure better, but in terms of real world usage I don't expect it will be any better.
    ggbutcher said:

mhedges said:

Yes, 70-200. I'm on vacation right now, and have had numerous situations where a long telephoto would have been helpful. I have a shot of a pair of a brightly-colored Hawaiian birds, but I had to crop horrendously to get a decent composition...
    Well a 70-200 2.8 wouldn't be my first choice for vacation pics anyway. Just too big. Do you have the 70-300 AF-P? It's a great lens.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    edited October 2019
    mhedges said:

ggbutcher said:

mhedges said:

Well a 70-200 2.8 wouldn't be my first choice for vacation pics anyway. Just too big. Do you have the 70-300 AF-P? It's a great lens.

Yes, after a lot of thinking, bear-of-little-brain here as decided to procure just that lens. nikonusa has refurbs for a little north of $500US.

Edit: fix quoting
    Post edited by ggbutcher on
    Jack Roberts