AF with the Nikon Z6 and Z7

Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
edited November 2019 in Nikon Z cameras
Made a seperate discussion for this.

Here is a good one on Youtube how AF behaves.

I did about this too with the Nikon Z6 and got the same results.

- My 70-200mm f/4 is as fast as the 70-200 f/2.8 in this test.
- In dark situations and in the studio with a small model light only, you have to switch d8 "Apply settings to live view OFF", if ON your EVF is just a black hole :)
- Or use the in camera "assist light" which I never do.
Post edited by Ton14 on
User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Not bad, would have liked to see how it would handle in the same low light, but back lit, rather than front lit.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Good idea for a separate topic....quite impressed with the bird hide stuff ,better than expected . So why do I sell my D850 at a loss to go Z7 ? Well at present I don't ..I wait for more MP and a good grey price.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I've found the AF on Z6 does suffer in backlit conditions. And especially where there isn't much contrast on the subject.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited November 2019
    You told so too in the other topic. I had problems with all my camera's when there was'nt much contrast on my focus point. Did you try, to set a11 - Low-Light AF ON? (I just try to think of something).

Cannot help with testing the AF because I only have my D600 at the moment and on AF we better forget this one.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited November 2019
    @Pistnbroke I think we can't beat the D850. Maybe the Z6 with the 70-200mm f/2.8S becomes the first step, double AF motors, new technic who knows.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    I read sufficient comments to worry me generally about the Z series AF but what are your views on the viewfinder? Reading comments the other day that professionals are swinging back to the optical viewfinder/ the mirrorless bubble is bursting
    edited November 2019
    This is going on for years now and always the same. I don't have an opinion on this, I'am used to the EVF now and it works great for me, besides all the other things from the Z system I never had before.

I'am no (semi) professional for many years anymore, just having a lot of fun with photography. My 3 goals are IQ, IQ and equipment light as possible :) , which are all in place at the moment.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Where are you seeing large numbers of pro's going back to OVF/DSLR?

I'm definitely a convert to EVF. Just the ability to do image review in there instead of the rear screen is a pretty big deal to me.

I would not say the Z EVF is indistinguishable from an OVF but it's pretty good. Some people say that the image is pixellated - I don't see anything like that - I guess those folks have better eyes than me.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    The Z6/7 viewfinder is beautiful and natural looking, at least to me. Yeah, if you look closely at high detail areas you can probably see some pixelation, but it's still very good. When the Zs start using the newer 5.76M dot viewfinders I bet it'll be nearly indistinguishable from reality.

The areas where OVFs still trump most EVFs is with fast action high fps shooting, and situations where you're looking through the viewfinder for long periods of time waiting for something to happen (e.g. wildlife). For anything else I can't imagine going back to an OVF.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    To me the only time where the lag is really noticeable is if you are doing fast panning side to side. So if you were shooting say tennis or something like that I can see it being a problem. For action where the movement is predicable or somewhat linear it's fine.

I'm curious to try one of the 5.76 mdot finders. I wonder how noticeable the difference would be for me.
    mhedges said:

To me the only time where the lag is really noticeable is if you are doing fast panning side to side. So if you were shooting say tennis or something like that I can see it being a problem. For action where the movement is predicable or somewhat linear it's fine.

I'm curious to try one of the 5.76 mdot finders. I wonder how noticeable the difference would be for me.

I believe the A7R IV doesn't use the full resolution of the viewfinder (for whatever reason) so that's probably not a good example. Maybe check out the one in the new Panasonic cameras.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    When I had the D750 and I shot birds I would look for the sharp shot. When I got the D850 I was staggered to find that they were all sharp and I could choose the best composition. Butterflies on a breezy day aren't even the impossibility they were. I don't think I could go backwards in AF speed and accuracy now.
    Always learning.
    Rockwell slams the Z series in his new video 11/25/19 but I am not sure how valid some of his comments are …..?
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I'm just now seeing Kens video. I can't say I've ever paid him any attention before. I'm not sure I would value his opinion on much since his first complaint is his total befuddlement over how to use the memory card.
    Rockwell's a great resource for spec comparisons but that's about it.
    edited November 2019

Rockwell slams the Z series in his new video 11/25/19 but I am not sure how valid some of his comments are …..?

Most of his criticisms in the video are relatively minor and/or old news, despite his love of the phrase "design flaw":
    1. He prefers the Canon ergonomics. Fine, whatever.
    2. He's annoyed that certain settings like crop mode don't save in the U modes.
    3. He wishes the FTZ worked with old screw drive lenses. Fair point, but old news.
    4. AF in low light could be better.
    5. He doesn't like XQD.
    6. He doesn't like how the viewfinder and screen operate in bright or low light vs the Canons.
    7. He doesn't like how the face detect works with groups of people.
    On the important stuff like image quality he says the Zs are excellent. Overall, the review feels like a guy who primarily shoots Canon reviewing a Nikon. He's quick to criticize the Zs in areas where he feels the Rs are better, but conveniently fails to criticize the Rs in areas where the Nikon is better (e.g. IBIS, video quality/crop, etc.).

If you've been following Z news/reviews at all you can safely skip the video and save 18min of your life.

Post edited by BVS on
    I never read reviews anymore, I rent new stuff for a week and test it for myself, if I want something. I was curious when I read on Fstoppers, "A year with the Nikon Z6" a review video from Dan Watson.

First he start with Image Quality. The Nikon Z6 has the best IQ you can get at the moment, for stills and video, there are some quarks. It is not a full year, because he said that he used the camera for the last couple of month. The second thing he said is that the prices are super at the moment for this high end camera.

He shoot with Sony for years, so there should be some quarks.
    On that point I stopped viewing, it became a short review for me :)

The only thing I'am interesting in is Image Quality, that is where I buy a camera for and he confirmed what I already know. I don't need to know what his quarks are.
    I have never found a camera which has it all, that is why I spend time to practice.
    This makes my photography life very simple for the next decate, just expand my Nikon Z system.
    I watched the Rockwell video last night. About half of it, anyway. A lot of whining (or nitpicking, to be more generous) and bragging about how great his website is and how much traffic it brings in.

Remember this is the guy who only shoots JPG, says nobody needs more than 24 mp, and the EOS RP is the best mirrorless camera on the market. So consider that when deciding how much weight to give his opinions.
    Interestingly, he had nearly nothing bad to say about the Z50 in his latest unboxing video, other than it being made in Thailand. Apparently all you have to do to satisfy him is put the play button on the right side and make a charger where the plug folds in neatly.
    BVS said:

Interestingly, he had nearly nothing bad to say about the Z50 in his latest unboxing video, other than it being made in Thailand. Apparently all you have to do to satisfy him is put the play button on the right side and make a charger where the plug folds in neatly.

That, and make your stuff in Japan.
    edited November 2019

I agree with him on points #4 and 7. The rest of his video was silly I felt.
    Post edited by Searcy on
    Searcy said:

Right. It's not like these cameras are above criticism. Those are valid points. Also (not sure if he brought this up) the restriction of Eye-AF to just the one focus mode is really annoying, and makes me much less likely to use it. But those valid points are drowned out by all the nitpicking, most of which fell under personal preference or "are you kidding me with this shit" type stuff like complaining he couldn't figure out how to put the XQD card in.
    I just love you guys and the comments ...perfect
    edited November 2019
    mhedges said:

Searcy said:

Right. It's not like these cameras are above criticism. Those are valid points. Also (not sure if he brought this up) the restriction of Eye-AF to just the one focus mode is really annoying, and makes me much less likely to use it. But those valid points are drowned out by all the nitpicking, most of which fell under personal preference or "are you kidding me with this shit" type stuff like complaining he couldn't figure out how to put the XQD card in.
    Yes, he seemed to be inferring that the XQD card was confusing to operate. I'm really not very bright and I have suffered no confusion over the XQD card. But then I wasn'y able to find 8 different ways to insert the card in the slot either.

Post edited by Searcy on