Nikon D880

Well can we expect a D880 with the features and downsides of the D780? 46 MP ? It will be interesting to see what they do with the card slots and a price above the Z7

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I predict 2021. With the highest resolution sensor available of course.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I would think they’d do the D500 update and D850 update first?
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    with inscrutable Japanese logic the D880 will be a D780 but 46 MP. Don't think we will see 60MP until Z8/9
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I will be staying with what I have for now and just watching. I have spent enough money for quite a while.
    I agree retread far too fluid at the moment .
    There will be no further update to DX DSLRs and after the D6, the last DSLR update will be the D850 update - whatever they call it.

My prediction.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    edited January 2020

There will be no further update to DX DSLRs and after the D6, the last DSLR update will be the D850 update - whatever they call it.

My prediction.

I agree. That's how I see it too.
    Post edited by tc88 on
    edited January 2020
    upgrade or downgrade depending how you view what they do or don't do.
    I think its going to be a cheap and nasty upgrade probably using the same body as the D780 but with a 46 MP Z7 sensor . Z6 andZ7 have the same body ..that's the trend. If you like that depends on how much you use LV. The D880/D6 will probably be the end of the DSLR line.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I do think any D850 upgrade will be in a D850 like body. I think it has to be in a bigger body to have the 20K AF module. And I expect it would still have contacts for a grip - probably the same grip the D850 uses now.

Agree it seems unlikely there will be any DX DSLR refreshes. The only one I would say is a maybe is D500 but I wouldn't bet on it.
    I think sensor wise, Z8 with 60mp should come out this year. That sensor will be used in D850 refresh, and that will be the last of nikon DSLR.
    tc88 said:

I think sensor wise, Z8 with 60mp should come out this year. That sensor will be used in D850 refresh, and that will be the last of nikon DSLR.

I think it should, but I also think that's very aggressive for a company like Nikon.
    edited January 2020
    No I don't agree I think D880 will be 46MP in a D780 body and all DX bodies will be Z50 with different sensors/specs . Its that accountant based bean counter mentality and minimal Rand D . Last of the DSLR and by 2021 no more DSLR, Canon are saying the same thing,
    tc88 said:

That seems like a reasonable prediction.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't see any basis for the assumption that the D880(?) will be a similar 'upgrade' to the D780. The D750 is a prosumer body, the D850 is a Pro body.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I honestly don't think we'll be seeing a D850 replacement, not in the form of DSLR that is.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM said:

I honestly don't think we'll be seeing a D850 replacement, not in the form of DSLR that is.

I think that you will see a D850 replacement and possibly another until Nikon brings their super telephotos to the Z mount. And I think that will take a few years - 2023 is my guess. I think that Nikon will want to hold onto their supertelephoto customers and keep them happy until they have a place to go.

While I am sceptical about seeing a D7, I think that if we do see a D7, this will be why.
    I think its going to go

Z30,Z50,Z70 all the same body as Z50 differing specs Z70 replaces D500
    Z6,Z7,Z8 24/46/60 MP all the same body
    D780, D 880 somebody as D780.. 24mp /46mp.

Cheapest way for the beancounters to do it .
    I think, in this order:

-Z5, a Z50 with a full frame sensor, Expeed 6 with 24mp
    -Z70, a Z6 with a crop sensor, Expeed 6 and 20mp
    -Maybe a Z30/Z3 which is a crop/full frame sensor, 20/24mp, Expeed 6
    -Z6 refresh, 24mp with Expeed 7
    -Z7 upgrade with a dual card slot, Expeed 7 and more mp. It will no longer be the same body as the Z6, but slightly bigger and sharing lots of parts with the Z6
    -D880, Expeed 7 and more mp
    -Z8, the true D880 mirrorless equivalent, Expeed 7
    -Z9, the mirrorless equivalent to the D6, Expeed 7 and 24mp

This way you save money on bodies, but differentiate between crop and full frame. I think differentiating solely between resolution in the long run is not optimal as the price differential between high and low mp sensors will continue to decline, though crop will always be half of full frame just because it is half the area.
    Here is my guess as wild as others.

Late 2020, Z8 with 60mp and dual slots. Honestly, Z7 just can't compete against A7r4 right now, and this is an area Nikon has historically been doing well and want to emphasize.

Early 2021, Z70 with top screen. It's really a losing battle to make DX to compete against previous generations Sony FF selling at $1k+ range. But for completeness, and assuming not too much engineering overhead, Nikon will try to make such a camera and set a high price and see who will bite.

Late 2021/early 2022, D880 or D900 with 60mp. The last Nikon DSLR.

Early 2022, Z9 for sports.

2022, Z6 refresh.

Then going forward, Z9/Z8/Z6 for FX and Z70/Z50 for DX.
    The two suggestions above are logical but not to an accountant . We will see.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2020
    Could be a late summer or early fall release I think to be honest. I am thinking upwards of 60mp as well. Certainly no hurries for me :)
    Post edited by kanuck on
    Supposedly we will have two Z telephoto zooms by the end of next year - a 100-400 and a 200-600.

I don't know that I agree with the point about Z crop sensor being a tough sell against the older Sony FF cameras. Those cameras are pretty bad, and they have to mark them way down to have any chance of selling. And even at the very cheap prices they really don't sell well at all now, at least according to some posts I have seen on the blog. The Z50 has sold far better. The question will be what will Sony do once they do a A7IV. If they start putting A7III at firesale prices then yes that would be a tough compete. But I don't think they will do that because that would threaten the A7IV sales.
    edited January 2020
    Well I think we are going to go towards tom Hogans idea of modular ...pick a camera style and pick a sensor .Z series sir ..would you like 24,46 or 61MP or if you prefer DX we have 3 to choose from or in FX DSLR the identical D780 or 880 with 24or 46mp
    mhedges said:

Supposedly we will have two Z telephoto zooms by the end of next year - a 100-400 and a 200-600.

I don't know that I agree with the point about Z crop sensor being a tough sell against the older Sony FF cameras. Those cameras are pretty bad, and they have to mark them way down to have any chance of selling. And even at the very cheap prices they really don't sell well at all now, at least according to some posts I have seen on the blog. The Z50 has sold far better. The question will be what will Sony do once they do a A7IV. If they start putting A7III at firesale prices then yes that would be a tough compete. But I don't think they will do that because that would threaten the A7IV sales.

The Z50's success in the long term will depend on lenses. There are only so many that want the current zooms on offer - which will be considerable as they are very competent zooms. But imagine what the Z50 could do with a lens lineup.
    Imagine what a Z50 could do if the focus worked.