Z7-Z6 Lenses

Comments

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    Searcy said:

Ton14 said:

@kanuck Same here.

They have my lens now. I should get an offer in a few days. Maybe I should do a new post about the experience.
    Please do as that would be beneficial to at least some of us. Times are a changing.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited December 2019
    @Searcy Maybe for prices, how long it took, state of the lens, can be helpful.

I traded mine here in Holland with a dealer in the beginning of this year, 2 months after Nikon had the lens checked and made a couple of small repairs. The lens was in new state again and I had the box. I bought the Nikon Z6, FTZ, XQD card and the 24-70mm f/4S and got €900.- for the 10 year old 24-70mm f/2.8.

I think prices are depending on a lot of things at that specific moment, the prices new for the 24-70mm f/2.8 and f/4S are both lower then in the beginning this year, for me it's always, what do I have to pay. not the price I get for the lens. (10 years ago the lens was €1300.- and I bought it for €1100.-, the newprice now in Holland is €1900.- (around €900.- second hand for a good one). I perfer as you do, a trade in, more then try to sell it myself.
    There are so many personal things involved.

Yeah .... maybe a good idea for a new post :) .

Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Searcy: Yes, do that please - it will be lost in this thread.
    Always learning.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited January 2020
    I preordered the 70-200. 1 meter close focus at 200 mm focal length is a nice feature.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Symphotic said:

I preordered the 70-200.

Let us know what you think about it. It comes out in March?

I thought about it, but I just can't justify it. Not when I'm generally happy with my VRII 70-200, and plus that lens has some sentimental value (bought it from a friend who has since passed away) so I don't really want to get rid of it.

I'll probably get the 100-400 that's on the roadmap instead. My girl will be moving to a bigger soccer field in the fall, and I'll need more reach. Hopefully we get that lens sometime this year.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    My holy trinity in F will be part of my action/events kit. I will buy a D6 to supplement my D850 and I expect that kit to last into the 2030s.

For Z, I will only buy primes.
    mhedges: I have the old version of the 70-200. I have used it quite a bit and have taken some great photos with it. I liked cranking it out on my Nikon 1 body and having outrageous telephoto reach, but I also used it quite a bit for people pictures. One of my favorite images was taken on a D800 backed down to 70mm.

WestEndFoto: Yes, that is a good plan. Some are saying that the advantages of the Z bodies are best realized with the primes, especially the wide primes, and they have a good point. In my case, I am keen to at get the most out of the smallest kit I can get, so even though the 24-70 f/2.8 is a large lens, it still packs smaller and lighter compared to what I am used to carrying, so I am expecting the same from the new telephoto zoom. f/4 is fine, but Nikon has done an amazing job on the 24-70 f/2.8 and I'm hoping for more of the same.

I'm getting to where I am only using my D bodies for work.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited January 2020
    Symphotic, the 70-200 2.8E is best in class, better than Canon’s DSLR version. Canon’s mirrorless version is about the same as their DSLR version.

So while stellar, they are still not as good as the Nikon E.

Now Nikon’s MTF charts strongly suggest that the S is better than the E. if so, that is quite an achievement and the Nikon S is best in class.

You should just pull the trigger now if the only thing holding you back is a review.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    I never bought the E, and have been happy with the G, especially at shorter focal lengths. But, yeah, the clicking sound you heard yesterday was me pulling the trigger on the new S. I’ll move my small collection of F mount zooms to my son’s D810 and add the 14-24 when it comes out in the Z mount.
    Jack Roberts
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    All should read the Lens Rentals tear down of a Z lens ...totally different from the old F lenses .. It looks to me to be the first fully cad cam designed lens and better for it .
    Absolutely. It's a really cool article. Glad to hear Nikon is finally getting with the times.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    When I was testing out my new 24-70 2.8S it was a bit disturbing how quiet it was a focusing. I'm so used to the loud, clunky auto focus of the F mounts.
    edited January 2020
    Thom's comment on the 16-50 kit lens on the Z50:

When you take the 16-50mm kit lens into account, things ratchet up another level. While the aperture specs don't look so hot for this lens, it performs well above its weight class. Indeed, I'd have to say that it's the best consumer mid-range kit zoom that goes to 24mm equivalent I've seen from any camera maker, and it makes some of the competitors look like pure optical garbage in direct comparison.

I always said, "It is the lens stupid." and this is another example of that. Nikon is doing a great job on their lenses.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2020
    Does it matter how sharp it is if it cannot focus because it's got too large of a maximum aperture? Obviously I haven't used the Z50 kit outside of a camera store, thus with purposefully deigned ideal lighting, but I can see it falling short indoors.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited January 2020
    PB_PM said:

Does it matter how sharp it is if it cannot focus because it's got to large of a maximum aperture? Obviously I haven't used the Z50 kit outside of a camera store, thus with purposefully deigned ideal lighting, but I can see it falling short indoors.

?

Sigh.....read the section of Thom's article that talks about the results shooting volleyball.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Shooting in a gym is hardly the same as lighting inside of a persons home.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited February 2020
    I’ve been amazed by the Z50 and the 16-50 kit lens. I have shot it outdoors in very low light, far darker than any home I have been in with any kind of lighting in use. It handles shots at 6400 quite nicely. And the built in flash is very useful to me. One feature Nikon has really pushed the Z50 with is their Say Hello to Yellow with the Z50 and the two lens kit. I myself bought mine just about the time the ad came out. I have yet to talk to a single owner of that camera and two lens kit that is not impressed with it. All of my expectations for the camera have been met. But a D500 with the best DX lens, then adding the 200-500 f5.6 is still a faster camera to operate. But there is a substantial size difference.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    24-200 F4-6.3 VR lens pics are up. Looks very compact. Curious about price and image quality.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I am looking forward to the 24-200. I know it is wishful thinking, but I hope it is as good as the 24-70 f4.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Saw the words "20mm Z series released" fantastic a 20mm pancake ...then I saw the picture . No Z series fo me.
    Last week I saw that Adorama had a used Z mount 35mm 1.8S so I bought it. It arrived yesterday. Here is my first shot with it. I have always loved the 35mm focal length. I think I'll be looking at the 85mm next.

35mm 1.8S test
    @Pistnbroke Nikon has been pretty straightforward about what lenses are on the horizon. It's always been clear the 20mm would be a high performance f1.8 lens sized similar to the other Z primes. There are compact 28 and 40 mm lenses on the roadmap.
    Searcy said:

Last week I saw that Adorama had a used Z mount 35mm 1.8S so I bought it. It arrived yesterday. Here is my first shot with it. I have always loved the 35mm focal length. I think I'll be looking at the 85mm next.

I have the 35 and the 85. I'm happy with both.

How to you like that Les Paul? I was thinking about postponing my next lens acquisition in order to buy an ES-339, but I saw the Les Paul Studio Model in a shop for a pretty good price.
    Jack Roberts
    Symphotic said:

Searcy said:

How to you like that Les Paul? I was thinking about postponing my next lens acquisition in order to buy an ES-339, but I saw the Les Paul Studio Model in a shop for a pretty good price.
    I love it. I actually have two Les Pauls and two SGs. The only think I have like an ES is a 1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman which has the nicest next I have ever played.
    edited February 2020
    Searcy said:

Symphotic said:

Searcy said:

I love it. I actually have two Les Pauls and two SGs. The only think I have like an ES is a 1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman which has the nicest next I have ever played.
    Les Pauls and SGs are as good as it gets.

After a bit of looking around I found a guitar trader with Custom Shop ES-339 from 2007 (the first year they were made.) It’s beautiful despite it’s nicks, dings, and stink of cigarette smoke. It came out of Sony’s recording studio here. I was told Gibson gave it to Sony to try to get as many recording artists to play it as possible when the ES-339 first came out. It certainly has been played a bit, and the original pickups are gone and replaced with custom hand-made pickups in both positions. I wish I knew who did that and why.

I’ll post a picture later. I’ll use my 35 mm S for the photo. EDIT: I used my 24-70 f/2.8 instead:

Untitled

I’m trying to figure out how to play Bach’s Cello Suites on it. The weird guitar tuning is messing with my mind: I’m more used to violin and mandolin than guitar.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts