Post all forum problems here

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

It seem you can only edit once

a second attempt does not work

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Strange, I have no problems making multiple edits.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    edited December 2012

[Edit = it appears that if you bookmark a topic you get email updates.  Yay!]

Peter, thanks for all your work on the site and the forums, we all appreciate it!!

I was curious, is there a way to have email notifications for responses to a forum?  A subscription function?  Didn't the last forum have it?  It is very useful to get those, as I don't check back all that regularly.

Thanks again!

Like you already noticed - if you bookmark a discussion with a star, you will receive email notifications foe every new comment. In addition, you can get RSS and email notifications for new threads - just click the icons on the top right. Hope this helps.
    Post edited by Peter on
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    vBulletin forms are a lot nicer for users, no doubt about that, but they are expensive to have a license for (several hundred dollars a year IIRC). I suspect Peter is trying to save money, by not using vBullentin.

I think vBulletin forums are crowded with icons, signs, links, buttons, features which makes them difficult to use. Just open any vBulletin forum and look at any given page. I wanted to have something simple, clean and similar ot the old forum. But like Adam said - it's a person preference and I hope that most of you will agree with my choice.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    This form is better than the previous version (at least you can see new posts at a glance). The only advantage I see with vBullentin is that categories are separate allowing the user to quickly find subject matter that is important to them. Otherwise I like this system as well.
    Do you mean a category page like this one: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/categories/all
    All categories are located on the right for easy access.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Yes, like that. The only difference is that is often the "home" page of the forum for vBullentin, rather than the clutter mess of anything new going to the top on main page here.
    I have to disagree, the best way to find info on a forum is with the search function, otherwise I just want to scan the latest activities becuae I am not looking for anything in particular, but would be interested to read a new discussion. In that case, the front page with categoires adds few extra clicks that are unnecessary. Of course this is just my opinion and how I deal with forums. For your case, you can just bookmark the category page instead of the disscipussion main page. There are few other options for main pages - I will post them all once I get in front of a computer (Using iPad right now).
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Here is another view that can be bookmarked and used as a main page: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/categories/discussions
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Peter. One mans mess is another mans tidiness, it is simply a matter of what one is used to. I am adjusting to the new way of doing things, but having that page bookmarked will be helpful.

I find form search engines poor at best, so I hardly ever use them, I guess that is why I like the categories.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • mirtosmirtos Posts: 16Member
    edited December 2012
    I've used vBulletin and Vanilla (and have run forums on both) and personally I find vBulletin has MANY more features than vanilla.  For some those features are extremely valuable, for others, not so much.  Whether its worth the money depends on the needs, id agree.    However, as a software developer, i think vanilla IS the way to go.  right NOW i think vBulletin is a better software, has more features, but vanilla has two MAJOR things going for it:  its open source, and it supports pretty much every mobile device there is.  I think vbulletin might be going the way of the dodo except for certain key groups/sites. 

As for search vs categories, my opinion is that categories only work as well as the people using them.  Search tools, when written well, work much better, in my opinion.

Post edited by mirtos on
  • mirtosmirtos Posts: 16Member
    @mitros - if you are not signed in, you will not see the big "start discussion" button on the top, there will be a sign-in window instead.

I see now.  I think my confusion is that its right below the ads.  Its a place on the screen that your eye tends to not look unless you are specifically looking over there.    
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It would make a lot of us happy if we could delete our own posts - is that possible Peter?
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    ;spraynpray

I guess you do not have a delete button...  You can of course, simply delete all your content, then only your avatar and info will show with no comment.  And one of us will most likely delete this for you.  Or write delete in the content with nothing else.

This may be changed in the future, but for now just clear the content and there is no problem..
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    Here is another view that can be bookmarked and used as a main page: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/categories/discussions
    too cluttered for me :) 
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

mindful of the the difficulty I have had in editing,  I have just tried to to correct a long message before posting

POOF the whole thing vanished :(

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

mindful of the the difficulty I have had in editing,  I have just tried to to correct a long message before posting

POOF the whole thing vanished :(
    That is a bummer!  I used to do a lot on another forum which had similar problems - I got into the habit of dragging over all the work I had done and copying it to clipboard before I did any button pushing.

Just a thought.
    Always learning.
    Sounds strange considering that the forum saves a draft, as you type the message.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    What browser are you on, seven? I just found a blank post from you in the D7000 purchase thread that was empty. I deleted it because I thought it must have been accidental. 

Does the new forum not let you edit your posts?
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Anyone know how to ERASE a draft that I don't need anymore ?

I also have an "UNANSWERED" that I can neither see what it is about or erase. The "1" stays on even though I click & open it.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Erase......the only way I know is to clear the content in edit and then save it.  This might work.   There are a few bugs in this area which are being worked out.  Have patience....  

Thanks, msmoto
    Msmoto, mod
  • D900ED900E Posts: 26Member
    edited December 2012
    Don't know for how long I will use this forum as I just get insulted and called troll all the times.

Anyhow, I noted a couple of problems:
    1. extra blank lines for each CR;
    2. if I try to edit and remove them, new blank lines appear;
    3. in sending a PM to a specif person, every time I insert anything in the text I wrote it just inserts one byte and truncates the rest - don't know if there is a limit in total bytes but my last line was also truncated.

Peter, you did en excellent job, I hope my comments are constructive and not offensive  :-)

Happy New Year 2013!

P.S. a minor one: this post was edited 2 minutes after it was saved, the timestamp in red is 3 hours ahead.
    Post edited by D900E on
    Cameras: Coolpix P330, D100, D300s, D800E.
    Lenses: FX: 14 f/2.8; 14-24 f/2.8; 16-35 f/4, 24 f/1.4; 24-70 f/2.8; 24-120 f/4; 35 f/1.4; 50 f/1.8; 70-200 f/2.8; 70-300 f/4.5; 80-400 f/4.5; 85 f/1.4; 50-500 f/6.3 Sigma; DX: 10.5 f/2.8; 10-24 f/3.5; 16-85 f/3.5,18-70 f/3.5; 18-200 f/3.5; Manual 1000 reflex f/11
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited December 2012
    Erase......the only way I know is to clear the content in edit and then save it.  This might work.   There are a few bugs in this area which are being worked out.  Have patience....  

Thanks, msmoto
    Well, now I have a 1 draft with just the topic and no content :-) ... The funny thing is, doing that got rid of my "1 Unanswered" - now I have none ! ! 
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • D900ED900E Posts: 26Member
    Question:
    I chose a very NEGATIVE name and would like to change it.  Is it possible or must I use a new email?

Thanks!
    Cameras: Coolpix P330, D100, D300s, D800E.
    Lenses: FX: 14 f/2.8; 14-24 f/2.8; 16-35 f/4, 24 f/1.4; 24-70 f/2.8; 24-120 f/4; 35 f/1.4; 50 f/1.8; 70-200 f/2.8; 70-300 f/4.5; 80-400 f/4.5; 85 f/1.4; 50-500 f/6.3 Sigma; DX: 10.5 f/2.8; 10-24 f/3.5; 16-85 f/3.5,18-70 f/3.5; 18-200 f/3.5; Manual 1000 reflex f/11
    Thanks Peter. One mans mess is another mans tidiness, it is simply a matter of what one is used to. I am adjusting to the new way of doing things, but having that page bookmarked will be helpful.

I find form search engines poor at best, so I hardly ever use them, I guess that is why I like the categories.
    Just to clarify: the Google search box on the right searches only the NR forum.
    admin | nikonrumors.com