New Mini Retro Camera..

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    It's never worth looking at AP
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2021
    Agreed, AP, is a nut/flake. Wasn’t always the case, but YouTube’s gone to the guys head.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I agree he has gone mental in recent times but interesting to see if he will be right..!!
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    So the latest is this wee camera will come with the wee fat primes. I don't think the suit the proposed design in the leaks, but perhaps there is silver versions coming to and this body will come in a black version and silver version.
    28mm on a DX is not that useful
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

28mm on a DX is not that useful

Agreed.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    28mm on DX is not that useful!?! That is a 42mm ff equivalent. I have a 40mm Voightlander 2.0 Ultron II. It is the only third party lens that I have ever bought because it is so useful and Nikon didn’t have one.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Looks like your mileage does indeed vary WEF. :)
    Always learning.
    edited June 2021
    I don’t think those primes are DX, not according to the roadmap anyway. Likely just using one event for multiple products.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I welcome the variety, but I also question the resources allocated for this endeavor. Also, I feel like making it DX instead of FX hamstrings its potential performance. Size will be better for sure, but Nikon better follow through with proper Z mount DX lens support or this will be dead in the water for sure.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Looks like your mileage does indeed vary WEF. :)

Well, if someone says something is not useful to them, I have nothing to say about that. But if you drew a bell curve of the focal lengths that people collectively (the market) used, 40 or 42mm would be right near the top. That is anything but "not useful".
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I got all excited about the Df back in the day. They did a good job building the hype. Disappointed with what actually was released. Fool me once as the saying goes.... That puts me into a skeptical attitude here.

With no grip, that implies a small battery. Fuji is decade+ into refining this market segment and its lens collection. Those Z cupcake primes probably won't have VR, so that adds to the list of potential cons (vs pros). For this to work, they'll need a solid body matching zoom, a ~35mm DX prime with VR, and some leading edge battery chemistry. History doesn't bode well. But good luck.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    Yes KnockKnock I had the same experience with the D800 and that made me sceptical. I understand these lenses are FX but would still like to see something the size of the 50 mm E series preferably about 15mm .
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    I think this idea is absolutely genius. Just take a look around the current camera landscape: there are no really stylish offerings to be found. Oly and Pany come closest, but they make too many concessions to digital era functions to look or work like a proper classic camera should. Fujis that ape SLRs look plain and boring, while Sonys seem to be penned by elementary school kids. Canon has been straight avoiding the classical camera look since the T90 came out, and, TBH, the less that is said of Nikon's mirrorless bodies to date the better, except maybe for the J5. The world needs a really stylish camera, a piece of industrial art that inspires its user to use it more often, while eliciting awe and excitement from people admiring it. Bring it on Nikon!

I think this idea is absolutely genius. Just take a look around the current camera landscape: there are no really stylish offerings to be found. Oly and Pany come closest, but they make too many concessions to digital era functions to look or work like a proper classic camera should. Fujis that ape SLRs look plain and boring, while Sonys seem to be penned by elementary school kids. Canon has been straight avoiding the classical camera look since the T90 came out, and, TBH, the less that is said of Nikon's mirrorless bodies to date the better, except maybe for the J5. The world needs a really stylish camera, a piece of industrial art that inspires its user to use it more often, while eliciting awe and excitement from people admiring it. Bring it on Nikon!

I like your thinking Cameraquest. To the naysayers, I say that they are missing the point.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited June 2021
    WestEndFoto: I am sorry but I agree, I am missing the point. This camera makes Nikon look less serious and less focused.

CaMeRaQuEst: I think the Canon R3 is a nice piece of industrial art. It is the best looking mirrorless camera so far.
    Post edited by snakebunk on

I think this idea is absolutely genius. Just take a look around the current camera landscape: there are no really stylish offerings to be found.

Stylish? It looks like a 1980s film camera, just like the Fuji ones do. Nothing special to see here. It’s going to look like the Df, but be DX. Sorry, but that ship failed and sailed years ago.

I try to be an optimist, but when Nikon is missing so many Z mount bodies and lenses, I guess myself and other members think a retro camera rebody is frivolous.

What would I like from Nikon instead?
    D500 in a Z mount
    D7500 in a Z mount
    wide angle prime lenses for Z mount for DX
    D6 equivalent in a Z mount

All of which would likely serve us better than a Z50 with extra clicky dials and retro drag.

We already have a Z50, I don't need another version of one.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    To me it's just all about what they come out with. If it's what was "leaked" then I don't have high hopes for it selling well because it just looked too clunky to me. If they can thread the needle and come out with something that's both slick and modern but also with some retro sensibilities then it could do OK if priced right.
    Frivilous? Perhaps we all forget where Nikon’s bread is buttered. Those slices are smaller than they used to be, but they are still bigger than the slices typical Nikon Rumours users consume.
    Thom just posted an excellent article that gets into what I mean.
    edited June 2021
    The point we are making is, this thing is not going to push volume, it's a niche retro camera, and sure not at the rumored price point, which is the same as the Z50. If they want volume they need to go sub $999, think D5600 territory.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited June 2021

Frivilous? Perhaps we all forget where Nikon’s bread is buttered. Those slices are smaller than they used to be, but they are still bigger than the slices typical Nikon Rumours users consume.

I haven't forgotten, as I and a handful of others still primarily use DX to shoot with.

But also don't forget, Nikon never built out a full stable of DX lenses and so don't be surprised if DX users are skeptical of Nikon and how far they're willing to support their Z DX offerings.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Don’t get me wrong. I love DX. DX Wishlist 2021:

Z30. Compact, no EVF version of Z50. $500 body, kits with current lenses.

Z70. Z6ii body and EVF. $1500. IBIS, ~32mp, fast readout, 4K/60 w/o crop, next gen AF, processing, in camera HDR panorama stitching movie from time-lapse, focus shift AF, multi-frame smart noise reduction, pixel-shift, ML scene recognition, portrait mode that can be auto-enabled when virtual aperture opens wider than physically possible or be configurable at certain apertures and focal lengths like auto ISO.

This body will be able to well leverage the non-VR Z full frame primes, and make the following Z DX primes behave like faster lenses through computational photography, thus keeping them much smaller than full frame. (Same tech could make the FF compete with MF.) Partner with Google or Apple for the processing if Nikon can’t do it in-house.

10-20 Z DX f3.5-6.3 VR
    16mm Z DX f/2.8 compact
    35mm Z DX f/2.8 compact
    70mm Z DX f/4 compact

Yeah, there’s a system that would take my money.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    That's quite the wish list.