New Mini Retro Camera..

Comments

• photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    The real thing looks really nice and great for cosplay (see the bunny boy avatar). But while I will buy one, I still feel that Nikon need to focus. Canon are pumping out full focus on full frame, Nikon are hitting DX and FX at the same time (perhaps because they don't have a EOS-M equivalent.). Hopefully we'll see the Z9 full release soon and the missing Z lenses.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Nikon needs to recover its entry level market because without that, there is no Z9, Z8 etc.

I actually feel like Nikon has its mojo back.
    I am kinda on the fence there @WestEndFoto. On the one hand I would like to see Nikon really focus on getting FX done right and class leading with a strong message that this is their only priority until the pro Z line is fully fleshed out. On the other hand I am well aware a body like this is a great cash injection if it sells well, and even if it doesn't sell well I get a good prop to take to conventions and on holiday.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    If it has IBIS, I buy one. No IBIS was the only reason I did not buy the Nikkon Z50 as small walk around camera. My setting is "Manual" most of the time and I like quick access possibility to Aparture/Shutter/ISO.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It’s just a repackaged Z50, don’t expect IBIS or anything the Z50 doesn’t have. Maybe better battery life thanks to newer chips, if that.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Agree. Also they were trying to keep it as thin as possible and IBIS makes cameras thicker.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    All the info and no mention of its MP
    edited June 2021
    20.9MP. It’s a Z50 with a retro body and fully articulating screen. It’s a retro blogger camera, they are going after Fuji XT cameras.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited June 2021
    Had a small hope for IBIS, so I wait for the next one, but I can't wait for the 28mm/2.8. This on my Z6 is also a small package. Have to wait a couple of month till fall.

But where is the promised 40mm/2.0 SE ??

PS. It is a nice one, packed with everything, tempting.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Hopefully we'll get a 200 or 300mm f/5.6 lens styled like the new 28 to go with this. Or perhaps that is me wanting to turn a toy into an everything camera.
    There are going to be two versions of the 28mm, according to dpreview. The one we see with the Zfc (SE) and a non-SE, same lens with modern Z look. The SE will be kitted with the Zfc, like the 50mm F1.8G SE was shipped with the Df. Likely an extra $50-100 over the non-SE, if they do what they did with the 50mm 1.8G SE.
    I'm wondering if the regular version will be cheaper. It would be nice if it was. $200-250? Heck yeah - thats a no brainer IMO.
    Looking at the MTF chart, it looks like a winner IQ wise.
    edited July 2021
    @WestEndFoto I think that too and Nikon NL has a € 100.- introduction discount, valid till sept 30.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    I ordered the black / silver 28mm kit. I am also seeing if I can get an ME-1, the little grippy thing and an extra battery.

This will be as close as I get to my Coolpix A, unless Nikon comes out with an 18mm compact prime.

I think it will be a fun little camera to experiment with video on. And with the full frame compact primes, I don’t have to worry about DX glass becoming useless if Nikon comes out with an Z f and I upgrade to that.

I wonder if there is a strategy on Nikon’s part here. Compact primes in FX/ DX 14/21, 18/28, 24/36, 28/42, 40/60, 58/86, etc would be a pretty good DX set of primes and a pretty good FX set of primes. There may not be much of a point to producingDX primes as I suspect they will be close the the same size as the compact primes.
    edited July 2021
    I am aiming for the same package, the ME-1 is a must I think.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Will the ME-1 be available in the US? I heard it was not. Which would stink.

It does look like a fun "play-around" type camera. Especially with the different controls - it would force me to slow down and think more about the shots.
    Didn’t that happen with other grips for Z as well, only available in Japan? Some people just imported them from a seller on eBay.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Do avoid the ME-1 like the plague, it's a really terrible mic. The Sennheiser DK200 shown on one of the pictures on the main blog is a way better mic for the same money, and I have read that it is included in some of the kits, although not sure where. Alternatively, you can get a Rode Micro Video, which is even cheaper and still way better than the ME-1.
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, or get a lav mic. Even some of the cheap lav mics on Amazon are better than the ME-1.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I'm happy Nikon announced the camera, it looks cool. But for actual shooting I think a Z50 style or D7000 style camera might be more practical, anything with a grip would be more useful.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

I'm happy Nikon announced the camera, it looks cool. But for actual shooting I think a Z50 style or D7000 style camera might be more practical, anything with a grip would be more useful.

I don't think it is about practicality. I want it for looks.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited July 2021

NSXTypeR said:

I don't think it is about practicality. I want it for looks.
    Not for me. I have 2 SR-Ts, an X-570 and a Rollei on the shelf for that. :wink:
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Regardless of what some people think I hope it sells well. The more equipment Nikon can sell the better for anyone who wants only the flagship stuff. Don't pan the "bread and butter" products which just discourages their sales. Nikon needs to make as much profit as possible to fun the low volume products.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Personally, I hope it sells like $.10 beer. Sales of actual cameras are in dire need of a shot in the arm. As I think I posted before, I'd have jumped this 15 years ago. I'm afraid I've been seduced by my "D"s and have grown to like the interface.