I didn't know Nikon does this.....

Next week I have to go in to get new glasses and the guy talking with me tells me "personally I'd spend the extra $30 n your lens and get the Nikon one which are amazing"

Anyone else know Nikon makes eye glass lens? Just thought it was kinda cool.

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

Next week I have to go in to get new glasses and the guy talking with me tells me "personally I'd spend the extra $30 n your lens and get the Nikon one which are amazing"

Anyone else know Nikon makes eye glass lens? Just thought it was kinda cool.

Yup, the lenses in my glasses are Nikon.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2021
    Nikon's been making lenses for glasses for a long time. My mum had Nikon lenses in her glasses for many years, until glass alternatives became much lighter for strong prescriptions that is.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    That's cool. I was thinking it was just a licensed name thing but sounds like Nikon actually makes them.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited November 2021
    They make microscopes too!

When I was passing through a pathology department I saw a bunch of Nikon microscopes with a F-mount attachment at the eyepiece and what seemed like a Nikon FM2 attached to it to take photos of microscope slides. If I remember right there wasn't really a viewfinder though.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2021
    They make gun sights /binoculars /periscopes and have military contracts .If its got lenses in it they make it. not always for the public.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    NSXTypeR said:

They make microscopes too!

When I was passing through a pathology department I saw a bunch of Nikon microscopes with a F-mount attachment at the eyepiece and what seemed like a Nikon FM2 attached to it to take photos of microscope slides. If I remember right there wasn't really a viewfinder though.

We have used one for measuring coating thickness. Bought 20 years ago with a 12Mp camera - which cost more than the microscope!
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

They make gun sights /binoculars /periscopes and have military contracts .If its got lenses in it they make it. not always for the public.

Didn't they stop making rifle scopes a few years ago, I seem to remember something along those lines.

Didn't they stop making rifle scopes a few years ago, I seem to remember something along those lines.
    I believe they also announced that they would stop production of binoculars as well.
    PB_PM said:

I believe they also announced that they would stop production of binoculars as well.
    I don't believe that is accurate, but if you have a source, I would love to see it.
    I believe it was posted here as a rumor a while ago, but my memory could be playing tricks on me. I love my Nikon binoculars, would be sad to see them go.
    PB_PM said:

I believe it was posted here as a rumor a while ago, but my memory could be playing tricks on me. I love my Nikon binoculars, would be sad to see them go.

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

If you want the Noct version of binoculars, here is what you get:

https://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product/binoculars/wx-7x50-if.html

or

https://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product/binoculars/wx-10x50-if.html

These came out before the Noct, so when the Noct came out, this was not a surprise to me.
    PB_PM said:

They still make binoculars, was going to get my uncle a set last Christmas .
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I think it was just some certain types of binoculars they were discontinuing.
    Their binocular line was like the DX DSLR line at times: D5400, D5500, D5600 all in stock.
    edited December 2021

PB_PM said:

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

If you want the Noct version of binoculars, here is what you get:

https://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product/binoculars/wx-7x50-if.html

or

https://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/product/binoculars/wx-10x50-if.html

These came out before the Noct, so when the Noct came out, this was not a surprise to me.
    ROFL, no way I'd buy $9000 binoculars. I'm cheap I just have an old Monarch 5 10x42 that I use for bird watching. Given that they have a 25 year warranty, I feel set for life.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Just bought a pair of 12x50 Nikon binocs. Planning to do a lot more skywatching after I retire. They seem nice.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 44Member

Yep. Too bad too. For the money, their high end scopes had some excellent light transmission.
    I had a 7mm Remington magnum when I was 8. I couldn’t get three shots in the same hole at 100 yards with the Bushnell scope.

I upgraded to a Nikon scope. Problem solved.

I have been a Nikon shooter ever since.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The Nikon binoculars have a lifetime warranty.
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 44Member

I had a 7mm Remington magnum when I was 8. I couldn’t get three shots in the same hole at 100 yards with the Bushnell scope.

Nice. I recently went with some higher end optics on a couple rifles, but my first Nikon Monarch still resides on my 300 Win Mag.
    bcmmike said:

Nice. I recently went with some higher end optics on a couple rifles, but my first Nikon Monarch still resides on my 300 Win Mag.
    Yup, I have been shooting Nikon since I was 8. :smile:
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I too wear Nikon lenses in my glasses.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I got a quote from my optician for £790 for a pair of glasses with Nikon lenses. I got Zeiss from the shop next door for £440. Shame that the larger chains don't do Nikon.
    Always learning.

PB_PM said:

I don't believe that is accurate, but if you have a source, I would love to see it.
    I got a few email ads from them for xmas that were for binoculars and spotting scopes