Need help with backpacking camera case

hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
edited May 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I'm preparing for an ascent of mt. Whitney in June and will be bringing my d800 along. I want to have the camera accessible so I've been using a CarrySpeed sling which I use all the time. It works great as long as I can keep a hand on the camera. However, The camera is very unprotected and I use trekking poles at high elevations and occasionally on descents and the camera just swings too much. I'd like a very minimal case that I can mount on my hip belt while the camera stays connected to the CS, but I can't find anything minimal enough to not be a significant bulk in my way. I'd love something like the neoprene covers I've seen, but they do not have belt loops. I usually have only my 20 or 24 2.8 on the camera so I don't need a case for a zoom or large prime. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited May 2013
    This is what I use for that situation:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/195226-REG/Tamrac_51501_515_Compact_Zoom_Pak.html
    Has shoulder strap, belt loop and, carry handle. All of the Tamrac gear rocks. I climbed whitney 15 years ago via the mountaineers route. Good luck!
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    Thanks. I had seen this online and it seems to be fairly minimal, and may be the best bet. However, while I may be asking for a lot, or too little, but I'm looking for something with no pockets, shallow and very minimal.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't have one, but what about this?
    http://www.holdslr.com/

or this? http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    edited May 2013
    Have you checked out the PeakDesign Capture setup? One of my buddies has one and won't stop raving about it. He trusted his 5DMIII on it across the knife edge on Capitol here in Colorado (that's brave, or crazy) and now he swears by it https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/
    Post edited by obajoba on
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I have these for all my cameras for rough situations, perhaps this is more what you're thinking
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/866721-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDSPROND800_B_Snug_It_Pro_Skin_for.html
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Dissent: I've considered the CC and other chest mounts, but I read a number of posts on mountaineering sites that warn about reduced visibility - you can't see where your stepping. Also, way too many posts that warn about wearing these under a heavy pack. Otherwise, that would have been my first choice.

obojoba: Cotton carrier offers a similar solution that attaches to your pack shoulder strap. I was leaning in this direction, but I'm also looking for some protection for the camera. I wasn't aware of this product, though, so thanks for the link.

Ironheart,
    I'm intrigued and will definitely buy one since it is too easy to bang cameras around on mountain climbs. I wish I had this in Africa last year. I'm still interested in keeping the camera at my side and not swinging, so the first link you sent me was in a good direction for a minimal case, though the specific model you linked was too small. Tamrac makes the 5627 which is supposed to be big enough for a D800. It's not the perfect solution, but so far the best I've found, or you found - thanks!
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    It all depends on how much padding you need and where you want to hang it.
    I think I have probably owned about 20 "holster" bags and sold them all after never using them.

The two bags I always seem to fall back on are a domke f-5xb which is minimally padded, not balky, hooks on a belt and can easily hold a DSLR and a all-in-one lens. that could fit on a waist belt depending on the backpack. The other bag is a Think Tank Speed Changer to keep lenses in, and just wear the camera in some fashion.

There really is no real good way to carry gear "ready to shoot" when you are doing major hiking, biking, etc. The issue always is, something is either swinging around to some unforeseen cadence to your step or overly exposed to getting hit really hard by an unforgiving object (something I'm never comfortable with.) Most times I have just wrapped it up in a fleece shirt and keep it on the top of my bag so it is easy to get at.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited May 2013
    There's a device from BlackRapid to stop the swinging: CS SSN-ACL SUN-SNIPER The Activity Clip Strap-Locker
    But I don't know, if a BlackRapid strap doesn't interfere with your rucksack?
    And this Kata bag appears to be belt-fixable and actually is two bags, you can separate them and get the small bag you like: Kata DL-H-537-G D-Light Hybrid-537 DL.
    I've an Lowepro Apex 120AV which could also be fixed on a belt.
    But, Kata as well as the Lowepro need additional raincovers (included) and the zippers are not the fastest way to open a bag. But then, if you have a wide-angle as standard lens you maybe don't need to get the camera fast in your hands?

I was searching also for a device which is a belt clamp, into which you can put your camera with an adapter fixed with a tripod screw - but the dealer I saw that first is not longer listing this thing. I guess the disadvantages were to many (no tripod adapter usable, looking like a jerk, camera weather exposed anyway).

With that extra rubber harness Ironheart posted I would feel too much vulnerable parts are still exposed to bangs.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    edited May 2013
    More great ideas. I ordered a ThinkTank digital holster 20 v2.0, as it seemed to be the best combination of good attachment options and minimalism. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it on eBay and look for another solution.

I like the Activity Clip idea, but that model doesn't look to be very durable, so I may try to make my own with a carabiner and some velcro. That and either Ironheart's camera condom or a neoprene sleeve may be a good workable solution. I only want a minimal mount of protection for the camera and just something to keep it from swinging wildly.

Thanks all for the tips.
    Post edited by hawkdl2 on
    edited May 2013
    Nice gear thread. That Peak Design clip looks interesting too.

@hawkdl2 - I'd be interested to know what you think of your digital holster after its had some field use. I've got a Think Tank Retrospective 7 that I use as my main bag and I really like it; very comfortable. Might consider the holster as a second body tote solution.
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    Nice gear thread. That Peak Design clip looks interesting too.

@hawkdl2 - I'd be interested to know what you think of your digital holster after its had some field use. I've got a Think Tank Retrospective 7 that I use as my main bag and I really like it; very comfortable. Might consider the holster as a second body tote solution.
    Everyone has their own solution and bag preferences are just too "individual", but when I travel with a bunch of gear I use a LowePro Stealth Reporter 400 AW, but when I'm street shooting or traveling light I use an old Timbuktu messenger bag with their camera insert. No way it can be mistaken as a camera bag, though I have to detach the lens. However, since playing around with the Retrospective 7 in a shop a few months ago, I've been watching ebay for a good deal on one. I think it may be the near perfect street shooter's bag, and I want one. I don't see myself using the holster on the street.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2013
    @hawkdl2: I recommend your considering obajoba suggestion. I have seen this product and I'm in the process of getting one myself.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    OMG.

I was searching for a similar device (copy or same idea from different persons). This video shows pretty good - it's disadvantages.

Golf, would you really unscrew the Arca plates and put that on? And what to do when walking around and need a tripod for the shot? Throw away your ballhead and get a Joby? (I think that is one in 1'27") :-/ Or is the QR plate compatible? I never checked my Joby plate on an Arca clamp, so maybe I'm mistaken here.

How about walking around with a normal Nikon (without battery grip) and a 14-24?

How about with walking around with your D4 or another one with battery grip and a 70-200/300, 80-400? The top of the lens will always peak you in your upper leg.

last pictures of the guy, one side of his shirt out of the trousers, the other behind the camera clip - new style? What when wearing a coat and no rucksack?
    @JJ_so: The PeakDesign Capture has its own unique usage...if you feel you lack the ability to make it work for you then it is best for you to pass on it. As for me, I know how to use EVERY gear I own...end of story. 8-|
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited May 2013
    I don't feel MY ability lacking to make it work, I just feel this is so unique I don't want to bother with it's flaws -MY end of story - and you have no better answer to my concerns than that? Great, good luck with it ;)
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    All of these systems have their advantages and disadvantages. My latest iteration of my $5 strap is one which slides through the "L" plate on the D4. I can slide it up for a photo and it is short enough to hold the camera on my right hip. When walking, my hand can steady the camera or if I am slow, it just sits. The shoulder strap sits on the outer edge of my shoulder distributing the weight nicely.

For the big stuff, I use a Tenba Shootout Rolling Backpack, Large. This will hold the D4 with the 400mm f/2.8 plus the TC-20EII mounted. Also I can stick in a second body, a 70-200mm f/2.8, and my personal articles. While it weighs almost 35 pounds packed this way, I can still get it on my back and walk three flights of stairs...i.e., slowly. In this situation, I usually carry the tripod as a walking stick.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2013
    OMG.
    Golf, would you really unscrew the Arca plates and put that on? And what to do when walking around and need a tripod for the shot? Throw away your ballhead...?
    If you really had taken the time to really research the item itself then you would have found out that the plate provided is designed to fit any ball head that meets the standard of Arca architecture. In fact, I will be mounting the plate provided on my RRS L-Plate which will then allow me to go right on to my RRS ball head or any of my heads...including my monopod. Moreover, they also provided a Manfrotto® RC2 and ARCA®-type compatibility that will address those shooter that have a Manfrotto ball head.

There now you got your answer....Feel better or do you want to go another round?

Here is the link for their plates. Note that the ArcAplate come with the unit by default.
    @Golf007sd if you want to go on discussing in that style you can do so via PM. I already said that I don't know - because I didn't read it on that page (which, by the way is the correct link instead of obajoba's redirecting one).

What I read was marketing blah like "UBER-FAST AND UBER-STRONG" and after that I didn't scroll down to the last line of features. I assumed, after things already being wrong there will be no more important information. What is UBER-FASTER on that clamp contrary to a Black-Rapid strap or holding it already in hands? Even pulling it out an open holster is faster than fiddling with the screw and the QR release button.
    The guy in the video didn't mention that feature either - so, how much more "in depth research" you do expect me to do for a device that still addresses the other 3 concerns I asked for?

My concern also is: Without a backpack, the most comfortable place to wear that clamp with camera is on one side of your hip, otherwise it will distract you while walking, sitting or kneeing. SIde of the hip = out of sight. I'm worried to forget a 6000$ body with attached xxxx$ lens on my side and by trespassing a pole, a door or other tight spaces, bamm! Every person is used to his/her shape and unconsciously accidents happen to things on our side. I hope the best for your equipment, but I still find this device because of it's UBER-STRENGTH a very risky piece of gear.
    edited May 2013
    @JJ_SO: This unit was intended for the OP's request, thus it is up to him, as well as ours, for consideration.

When I get the Capture, I will post a video with it on my D4 and the 14-24, 24-70 and the 70-200 2.8 attached to it so we can all see how it functions. Please stay tuned. :)

As for the Black Rapid strap, I have that as well...it is a great tool. However, even with this unit the user still has to remove the fasaner in order to use the camera body on and tripod.
    I will stay tuned :) and not, because I want to read disappointment ;)

Is "fasaner" a word with the same meaning as "fastener"? I really don't know. Wasn't there another thread for a clamp for Arca, used at the end of a Black-Rapid? Ah, well, here we go
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    edited May 2013
    Not sure why my link won't work, I even tried editing it. It *did* work originally :-S

Like I said in my post, my buddy climbed the knife edge on Capital Peak with his Capture clipped to his rucksack and a 5DMIII hanging off of it. If you're not sure how much of a test that is, search for it and watch some youtube videos. He's using an RRS RH-40 ballhead with an RRS screw type clamp on Manfrotto legs and he never takes the Capture plate off of the body. So it must be fairly compatible.
    Post edited by obajoba on
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Golf/JJ: We aren't enjoying your exchange, please :-t or drink less coffee ~O)
    Always learning.
    edited May 2013
    @spraynpray: JJ_SO and I are cool...we have emailed each other many times and are just having a healthy conversation here...sorry for the distraction.
    Indeed we are :) no need to worry, spnp.
    Despite the "exchange", I can still see myself getting one of the capture clips. There are times when I'm shooting with one camera and I'd like to have a second body ready with my 35mm or 12-24mm to go wider in a hurry. Having it clipped in the front part of the belt area or on my bag strap near the hip looks like it could work well for me. Perhaps better than trying to fumble with two camera straps.